What do you guys do for work? - Age 20+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

What do you guys do for work?

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_althea✰_*

Guest_althea✰_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

Work pretty much determines your lifestyle, so I’m always interested to see what people my age are up to. It feels like most people I know are in the service industry (I’m 27 for reference). A few people have low paying jobs that they really love (education, healthcare, etc.), a few have high paying jobs that they hate (tech, management, jobs that they just got filed into because of their degree, etc), and some people were just well-connected. Education doesn’t really seem to play a big role.

Personally, I deliver pizza, which as a tipped thing with very little oversight is fine by me. I also did my undergrad in mathematics, but it doesn’t play a big role now.

So what are my fellow twenty somethings doing to pay the bills?

#2 lbrc27

lbrc27

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:59 PM

I'm also 27 years old. 

I do travel nursing.  :)

• dégueulasse, raspberrynoir, Anadee and 1 other like this

#3 sadbitchszn

sadbitchszn

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:12 PM

I'm 26 and I do project management/marketing for a pharmacy tech company

• dégueulasse and raspberrynoir like this

34bEv.jpg

#4 littlefruitybite

littlefruitybite

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:20 PM

im 24 and still studying :P 

• raspberrynoir, Anadee and magdalenafrackowiak like this

#5 Guest_althea✰_*

Guest_althea✰_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:40 PM

I'm 26 and I do project management/marketing for a pharmacy tech company

How do you like it/what kind of education did you need to get started?

#6 Guest_althea✰_*

Guest_althea✰_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:41 PM

im 24 and still studying :P

What do you study/how will you work and what kind of loans are you taking on if you don’t mind me asking? How do you pay the bills in the meantime?

#7 sadbitchszn

sadbitchszn

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:44 PM

How do you like it/what kind of education did you need to get started?

It's stressful at times but I enjoy it! Honestly it's a great career path for me so I'm grateful for the opportunity. I got my BA in Communications and did an internship at a digital marketing agency. TBH pharmacy tech was an industry I knew nothing about but at the time I applied I was working at Jenny Craig's corporate (worst experience of my life, I literally cried on the way to work/home pretty much every day) and I was desperate for a change. So I applied for a marketing internship and asked to learn about everything so I could become "useful"... then I was hired full time almost three years ago.

34bEv.jpg

#8 Guest_althea✰_*

Guest_althea✰_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:45 PM

I'm also 27 years old.
I do travel nursing. :)

If you dont mind me asking is it virtual visits or in person? I travel a lot and one of the things I’ve always looked for is a traveling position, but I can’t sit still long enough for it to actually be a work at home thing (that’s what my partner does).

Traveling for home visits would be cool though, and I have so much respect for everybody in healthcare.

#9 Guest_althea✰_*

Guest_althea✰_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:46 PM

It's stressful at times but I enjoy it! Honestly it's a great career path for me so I'm grateful for the opportunity. I got my BA in Communications and did an internship at a digital marketing agency. TBH pharmacy tech was an industry I knew nothing about but at the time I applied I was working at Jenny Craig's corporate (worst experience of my life, I literally cried on the way to work/home pretty much every day) and I was desperate for a change. So I applied for a marketing internship and asked to learn about everything so I could become "useful"... then I was hired full time almost three years ago.

That’s fucking awesome. There are few things more inspiring at this age than seeing someone leave a job they hate for better opportunities. :)
  • sadbitchszn likes this

#10 lbrc27

lbrc27

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:47 PM

If you dont mind me asking is it virtual visits or in person? I travel a lot and one of the things I’ve always looked for is traveling position, but I can’t sit still long enough for it to actually be a work at home thing (that’s what my partner does).

Traveling for home visits would be cool though, and I have so much respect for everybody in healthcare.

In person. It's contract work. I work for an agency that contracts me out to healthcare facilities that have critical staffing issues. 
They provide housing and everything. It's a pretty sweet gig to travel. 
contracts are typically 1 - 3 months long. 
And typically out of state. The Midwest, in my opinion, seemingly has the most critical staffing issues. But everywhere utilizing travel health care agents. 

• Thinny, TheGreenCactus and orthonurse like this

#11 Guest_althea✰_*

Guest_althea✰_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:51 PM

In person. It's contract work. I work for an agency that contracts me out to healthcare facilities that have critical staffing issues.
They provide housing and everything. It's a pretty sweet gig to travel.
contracts are typically 1 - 3 months long.
And typically out of state. The Midwest, in my opinion, seemingly has the most critical staffing issues. But everywhere utilizing travel health care agents.

That’s insanely cool. Scary that the healthcare industry is at such a critical point, but awesome that you’re playing such a positive role in it and the opportunities it affords you along the way yk? (I bet your pool of potential references is pretty big, for example, travel experiences aside.)
  • something in the way likes this

#12 sadbitchszn

sadbitchszn

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:53 PM

That’s fucking awesome. There are few things more inspiring at this age than seeing someone leave a job they hate for better opportunities. :)

Omg when I gave my notice it was the most exciting feeling. That last week and a half ended up being the best ever because no fucks were given. They made me miserable and I was so happy to leave. 

• Meggan and Pizza Kamikaze like this

34bEv.jpg

#13 WilliamWillTell

WilliamWillTell

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2894 posts
  • LocationNeither here nor there

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:55 PM

Use to manage a retail location and wanted to die 24/7.
Now I build/wire/fit HVAC components in an assembly line. Want to die 14/5 now maybe.
  • chococat likes this

#14 Guest_althea✰_*

Guest_althea✰_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:03 PM

Use to manage a retail location and wanted to die 24/7.
Now I build/wire/fit HVAC components in an assembly line. Want to die 14/5 now maybe.

So many places roped me into management and paid me little/if any more than their ‘nonessential’ employees. It’s like some places think that the slight boost of being called manager (aka doing the normal job plus a thousand extra responsibilities, plus responsibility for any regular employee not doing their job) is enough to warrant being treated like shit constantly. >.>

My cousin worked HVAC, he eventually formed his own business but he didn’t contract anything out and while it paid bills sometimes, he had to take on other jobs and it depended a lot on whether people called.

Edit: There’s still hope for both of us out there fam.

#15 WilliamWillTell

WilliamWillTell

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2894 posts
  • LocationNeither here nor there

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:06 PM

So many places roped me into management and paid me little/if any more than their ‘nonessential’ employees. It’s like some places think that the slight boost of being called manager (aka doing the normal job plus a thousand extra responsibilities, plus responsibility for any regular employee not doing their job) is enough to warrant being treated like shit constantly. >.>
My cousin worked HVAC, he eventually formed his own business but he didn’t contract anything out and while it paid bills sometimes, he had to take on other jobs and it depended a lot on whether people called.
Edit: There’s still hope for both of us out there fam.

Your management take sounds suuuuper familiar. I am a very committed, responsible employee and that place sucked the life out of me. I'm also struggling to cope as a simple human so who knows. Probably just a dysfunctional bitch.

#16 Guest_althea✰_*

Guest_althea✰_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:27 PM

Your management take sounds suuuuper familiar. I am a very committed, responsible employee and that place sucked the life out of me. I'm also struggling to cope as a simple human so who knows. Probably just a dysfunctional bitch.

Yo I felt the same way and thought there was something wrong with me for a long time. You’re not dysfunctional. Turns out it’s luck of the draw, mostly who you work with/the personality of your boss, and not effort or capability for the most part.

There have been places where I did everything in my power to do an excellent job. Not just good, excellent. Beyond not being appreciated for it, I went home haunted by shit I could have done better. On top of that, I was broke.

Now my job is thankless, and without any social regard, but I average close to 25/hr. My biggest responsibility is making sure I grabbed the right pizzas, and I’ve never fucked up but if I did it would pretty much be the cook’s fault. I go home, sleep well, my bills get paid and I have cash to spare. It feels like heaven.

I hate the culture that insists your value is linked to your profession. It’s the same culture in which I’m making more than a paramedic. I hate it, but I’m gonna survive. So I work with it.

#17 icaughtfire

icaughtfire

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationGotham City

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:30 AM

21, i work at a cinema, so ... making popcorn, selling popcorn, sweeping up popcorn ... free movies though  :P

• white.sheet likes this

tenor.gif?itemid=5049704

#18 sushigemini

sushigemini

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:18 AM

24, (old ass undergrad) research assistant.  

Previously worked as a line-cook and kitchen manager for 3.5 years, and then a deli before that...first job was at 15 y/o at a bike shop! 

It's like I'm moving through life backwards. 

• chococat likes this

~STATS~

5'3"

HW: 132

CW: 103 

LW: 97.4

GW1: 100

GW2: 98

UGW: 95lbs

Bust - 31"

Waist - 23.5"

Hips - 31.5" 

Just trying to lose the weight from stress-eating last  semester.

#19 No-Self-Control

No-Self-Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:35 AM

22, Data Entry. I sit on my ass all day, but I love my job.

{5'4, 23f}[CW: 133.4]

[HW: 160][LW: 117]

[GW1: 120][GW2:115]

[UGW: 110]

#20 novadroid

novadroid

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

24, currently assistant in the library of an lawyers office. Super boring, nothing to do and I hate it.

But in 2,5 weeks I start in a textile printing company, printing...well...textiles! I work there two days a week already and it is super fun, always on my feet and enough work to do! Cannot wait to work there full time.

But I am also a full time Graphics Design student :) 

• DUTCHgarbage likes this
HW: 199,3 lbs / 90,4kg
LW: 150 lbs / 68kg (5 years ago and only for a week lol)
GW: 136lbs / around 62kg

CW August 10th: 193 lbs / 87,5kg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users