Any parents with autistic children? - Page 2 - Parents with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Any parents with autistic children?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Somegirl32

Somegirl32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:37 PM

Me! My son is 6 asd and possibly adhd.

#22 indicats

indicats

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts
  • Locationraiding your fridge

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:24 PM

I'm autistic/have autism/whatever term you like to use as long as it's respectful and I really don't get the contradictory language policing around autism, especially because it's held to a different standard than other disabilities (and yes, it is a disability, yes, one that comes with advantages, but let's not pretend like it's all sunshine and rainbows), the PC term is always "person with a disability" and not "disability person" yet when it's autism you're not supposed to say that and you have to say "autistic person"? Really don't get it. Also, functioning labels are not always perfect, because there are many people who fall between high and low functioning, but I think they are still helpful because let's face it, someone who can hold a stable career and relationships has a different form of autism than someone who struggles to speak. Just like we would classify a physical disability like cerebral palsy as "mild", "moderate", or "severe", many of those with autism are impaired on different levels. I don't understand the double standard with autism as opposed to other disabilities. 

i'm autistic and i think both of these arguments are stupid

i describe myself as high functioning but i also know that other people don't like those labels

i don't think it matters if you say "autistic person" or "person with autism". none of them are heinous crimes and i think it's ridiculous to be arguing over the order of words and language when we could be addressing issues that actually make our lives more difficult

• 90isthemagicnumber likes this

trans man

taurus sun / gemini moon

accountability

167cm 

LW: 105 

HW: 135

CW: 112

#23 SunnyK

SunnyK

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:36 PM

I am a mother to 3 children.  My eldest and youngest have ASD.  This has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through and it exacerbated my ED to the point of needing to be hospitalized.  i hope this doesn't happen to you gals.  stay safe.

5 ft 8in

SW 143

SBMI 21.74

HW 162

LW 123

#24 Tzyarles

Tzyarles

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 16 August 2020 - 02:28 PM

My son has not been tested, but people see traits in him.

I am autistic myself. Maybe that's why I find it hard to tell.

To quote Hamlet, Act III, Scene III, Line 87: "NO"

#25 RomanticMisanthropist

RomanticMisanthropist

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • LocationVizima

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:30 AM

My son's autistic, he was diagnosed at three years old. I spotted it early because I'm autistic as well so I could see the signs and my mum's an occupational therapist so she managed to fastrack him through the children's services so he could see a paediatrician faster

Non-binary. AN for 9 years. I'd like to recover but is it really ever gonna happen? Really? Currently major relapsing.

Also bpd af

He/him pronouns

----

giphy.gif

----

BMI: 14.7

Height: 5'8 / 174cm

CW: 44.7kg  / 98lbs

GW: 45kg / 99lbs     Achievement get!!!!!!!

GW2: 42kg / 92.5lbs (lol)

UGW: 39kg / 85lbs (lolololol yeah like that'll ever happen)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users