Son is too picky - Parents with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Son is too picky

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wonderexic

wonderexic

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

Hi, I adopted my son when he was 4 and he is now 9. He was always extremely picky and I have always catered to him because my parents used to force feed me and it was horrible. My philosophy is that as long as he is healthy it's ok to let him eat what he likes which is mainly chicken nuggets, turkey meat balls, pizza rolls, pizza, waffles & pancakes. He also drinks strawberry milk every day for calcium. Anyone else have a picky kid? How do you get them to try new foods without forcing it on them?
Wonderexic

If I eat anything I will eat everything. So I eat nothing.

#2 skinnyhylian

skinnyhylian

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2182 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

I WAS the picky kid haha. Idk how to help you (sorry) but I only started to try new things as I got older. No forcing or persuasion
skinny (not quite) hylian <3

5’2”
hw: 152 lbs
lw: 100(?) lbs
cw: 117 lbs
ugw: 99 lbs

#3 MissySkinny

MissySkinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

I Remember the force-fed days. I have my kids help me prepare meals. Make it fun. Of course mine are teens now but it worked back then!! 

i never made eating a chore.

HW 183

CW 129.9

GW 95

LW 95

Height 4'11

Where's my collarbone?

#4 seasnake

seasnake

Serpent God of Fasting

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16364 posts
  • LocationHouston, we have a problem

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

Most children will live on pizza and chicken nuggets every single day if they could just get away with it.

You could simply say you want to start trying new and different foods with him, and ask him what he would like to try. You can also get him a bit more involved by taking him shopping with you and you might also get a cookbook or a kids cookbook and have him pick out dishes that you could cook or you could cook with him helping.

I was once told that you are what you eat and then I just cried and cried and cried cause no matter how much I wanted to be one I just couldn't bring myself to eating a skinny person.

My threads:   The Fasting Game    My Fasting Game Spreadsheet    Youtube Exercise Videos (No-Equipment): Organized into Routines    The Whoosh Effect    My Profile    My Pics

#5 Justmenothingelse

Justmenothingelse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:23 AM

2 of my 3 kids are picky. We have a rule: everybody has to try the cooked meal, if someone doesn't like it, he is allowed to replace the meal with friuts or vegetables. No stress, no force - and many vitamins. Cooking together works, too.

#6 wonderexic

wonderexic

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, they are all very good!
Wonderexic

If I eat anything I will eat everything. So I eat nothing.

#7 hangryblonde

hangryblonde

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

Well when I was little, if I didn't eat what was cooked, I would not be allowed snacks afterwards and I would go to sleep hungry so that made me want to eat whatever it was just so I could get snacks. Making a "happy plate" (finishing the whole plate) would get me a reward. I was never a picky eater though.

What I would do is give the kid two or three options. And if they refuse, they don't get snacks (besides fruits and vegetables).

Maybe start slow like one out of three meals for the day is the healthy new option. If they want pizza, do homemade and have the kid help and put whatever toppings they like on it. Homemade is healthier.

#8 Dietcherrycolaa

Dietcherrycolaa

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:15 AM

I have always been a super super picky kids, I couldn’t even have my food touch or had to have my sauces in another tiny bowl. But as I got older, I did try new things. Especially since I’m vegan now, I have to obviously. So honestly I think it just takes time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 sistermary

sistermary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:00 AM

I have a picky eater. I make sure one meal a day is something he will eat and then I offer him different foods (realistic food though so not spicy or rich or complex flavours) for the other meals. It works. It’s been a long two years but he has gone from only eating plain pasta and nothing else to eating all fruit, a few different vegetables and some other protein bits and bobs. We have a long way to go but I feel like we are winning.

#10 vaporlight

vaporlight

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3806 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:10 PM

It can take 200 or more trys to get kids to eat new foods, just keep putting new stuff on his plate and (you'll hate this) have to let him see you eating it. Make sure it's stuff you really enjoy so he can see how good it is. My boy loves healthy foods as that's mostly what I make.

But. When he was younger I had to try soooooo mant times ugg. You have to be more stubborn then him!

You can also do sneeky stuff (at first) to help him develop a taste for new foods. Like: Add a 1/4 cup wheat germ to brownie batter, cake batter, pancake batter, in cookie dough, in homemake bread.

Switch from butter to coconut oil for cooking.

Go down from whole milk to 2% then to chocolate soy milk.

Swap out iceburg lettuce to romain lettuce.

Switch from kraft singles to real cheese slices off the block.

Switch from regular pancake mix to buckwheat look for bobd red mill sruff. (woo it is tasty!)

Make him smoothies for breakfast madecwith milk, a banana, a pasteurized egg, protein powder and raw honey.

Take a head of broccoli, smother it in velveta (sorry, its to start work up to real cheese later) and offer a bite after eating half (sorry, but it works)

Fit your daily cals around the foods you want him to eat, like make a bowl of oatmeal for both of you (a little salt helps) cut hp 3-4 strawberrys on top, sprinkle with sugar on his and dplenda on yours, pour milk on top and add a swirl of chocolate sauce. Right now judt getting him to eat it is a win. That is if he doesn't already.

Prepare a grilled cheese and add in real cheese with the velveta/kraft slices, add in thin sliced chicken breast (not lunch meat) and thin slices if avocado.

Quona is really nice hot with milk, honey and blueberrys.

Ground flax seeds (a tbsp) or wheat germ can be added to cooking soups and can't be tasted.

Like hummus? Have more with carrots when he wants a snack. If you eat it he will too.

Homemade pizza put on spinach leaves, mushrooms, bacon, drown it in mozzarella. xD

Kids don't know best parents do, he's not mature enough to be able to logically see that healtly food is what he needs to be eating to grow. So until he is it's your responsibility to make those decisions for him. Let him pick what he wants for 1 meal each week and have him help you make it. That way he'll get ti decide too and spend more time with mom. ♡ Also be sure to let him know what isn't an option.

Like if you let him pick between a pbj sandwitch or a tv dinner be sure you're alright with giving either one as it's not fair to back out after.

Hope this helps.
That's it no more hummus. (The next day has more, lolz.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users