30+ what do you do for a living - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

30+ what do you do for a living

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#1 Redheaded step child

Redheaded step child

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1819 posts
  • LocationThe Firey depths

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

What does everyone do for a living. I currently work two crappy jobs (socially/economically speaking, I like them) and I'm researching on opening my own brand of something(can't say what yet) I got sick of not following my dreams and living paycheck to paycheck.
What is everyone else's employment status?
  • CuriousYulia likes this
no im not banned. Yes my profile is glitched. I guess I was accidentally immortalized.
But I cannot PM so if you'd like to talk to me please email me here [email protected]

I and trying to startup a new ED site. Where everything works and we all are a family. If youd like to help and maybe be a mod please join! There's posts about becoming mods and how to help us.

#2 Flonkerton

Flonkerton

Advanced Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:53 AM

Hey, glad you're pursuing your passion, even if it takes a couple shitty jobs to get there along the way.

I'm the marketing director for a large bakery.

#3 DisturbedVanity

DisturbedVanity

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:14 AM

I work for a large company that builds lasers. My particular branch is a crystal growth facility. I myself run two 3 million dollar vacuum coating chambers and also cean crystals and specialized optics under high power microscopes. It's a very cool (and very obscure and unknown) field of work.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk
  • hellybelly, Bonesking, catalogs and 1 other like this
"I pinch my skin in between my two fingers and wish I could cut some parts off with some scissors"

#4 DisturbedVanity

DisturbedVanity

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

Hey, glad you're pursuing your passion, even if it takes a couple shitty jobs to get there along the way.

I love the smell of a bakery. That's gotta be rough gig! Surrounded by all that food lol

"I pinch my skin in between my two fingers and wish I could cut some parts off with some scissors"

#5 Flonkerton

Flonkerton

Advanced Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

I love the smell of a bakery. That's gotta be rough gig! Surrounded by all that food lol

Nah, it's not so bad. It'd be bad if you liked cake, but I don't eat baked goods. If I was in a steak and potatoes factory I'd be in trouble. 

I'm from Jersey too (though not there currently). I like grease trucks, not cupcakes. :P

• GiveNoFox, spookyspecter, DisturbedVanity and 1 other like this

#6 LilMsRiley33

LilMsRiley33

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

Currently I'm a BioMed student - decided to go back to uni as being an artist does not guarantee a reliable income.

• Redheaded step child likes this

#7 Alacazam85

Alacazam85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

I couldn't work in a bakery. I have a hard enough time staying out of the baked goods section at Costco...

Kudos to the girls following their passion, even if it means sacrificing. 

I'm a lawyer. It's been really hard lately to keep it all together and I have constant anxiety that everything may just collapse soon. 

• QuestToSkinny, Redheaded step child and Gal1246 like this

#8 Redheaded step child

Redheaded step child

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • 1819 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

this would be really cool.
no im not banned. Yes my profile is glitched. I guess I was accidentally immortalized.
But I cannot PM so if you'd like to talk to me please email me here [email protected]

I and trying to startup a new ED site. Where everything works and we all are a family. If youd like to help and maybe be a mod please join! There's posts about becoming mods and how to help us.

#9 Redheaded step child

Redheaded step child

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • 1819 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

I work for a large company that builds lasers. My particular branch is a crystal growth facility. I myself run two 3 million dollar vacuum coating chambers and also cean crystals and specialized optics under high power microscopes. It's a very cool (and very obscure and unknown) field of work.

wow what kind of training or degree did you need for that?

#10 ardat_LiLi

ardat_LiLi

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

housewife.
  • lailai, couldbefatter, TheBigRedMachine<3 and 2 others like this

#11 obesegirl

obesegirl

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:09 PM

I work in customer service for a midwest regional LTL freight carrier.

Also a mom.
  • Sam_Mazing and Redheaded step child like this
HW: 206
CW: 184
LW: 98
GW: 130
UGW: 115

#12 chocolatewaif

chocolatewaif

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4636 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

Technology journalist 

• catalogs, Redheaded step child and ReginaPhalange like this

I wanna be special. So fucking special.

Height: 5'5"

Current: 121.5 | Start: 142 | Goal: 120 Ultimate: 110

#13 DisturbedVanity

DisturbedVanity

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:42 AM

wow what kind of training or degree did you need for that?

I just got really lucky. All I have is an associates degree in Liberal Arts. My boyfriend grows crystals for the company and encouraged me to apply. I went for the interview not expecting anything and they hired me 2 days later.

• Disappearing1 likes this

#14 back_to_skinny

back_to_skinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2319 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

I'm a teacher. Sometimes it's really tough and I ask myself whether I should do something else...
  • Disappearing1, lailai, catalogs and 3 others like this

my stats, accountability thread and thinspiration 

Spoiler

FtGE.gif

...being a loving partner...

wdxpp1.png

fingers crossed 

#15 Redheaded step child

Redheaded step child

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • 1819 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

I just got really lucky. All I have is an associates degree in Liberal Arts. My boyfriend grows crystals for the company and encouraged me to apply. I went for the interview not expecting anything and they hired me 2 days later.

what kinds of crystals? Like glassware or like healing crystals?

#16 Redheaded step child

Redheaded step child

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • 1819 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

I'm a teacher. Sometimes it's really tough and I ask myself whether I should do something else...

teaching is probably one of the most rewarding of jobs I feel. You are developing our future with your wisdom.
  • back_to_skinny and DisturbedVanity like this

#17 back_to_skinny

back_to_skinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2319 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

teaching is probably one of the most rewarding of jobs I feel. You are developing our future with your wisdom.

That's a very nice thought and it's true that it can be awarding whenever I notice the progress students make. At the same time the lack of respect that some students and parents show still devastates me at times.
  • GiveNoFox, DandelionGems, lailai and 1 other like this

my stats, accountability thread and thinspiration 

Spoiler

FtGE.gif

...being a loving partner...

wdxpp1.png

fingers crossed 

#18 DisturbedVanity

DisturbedVanity

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

what kinds of crystals? Like glassware or like healing crystals?

Neither. They are synthetic crystals that are meant to be used in laser systems. The whole crystal itself is called a boule and then it gets diced or cored or cut into tinier parts.The only one that is somewhat common is Sapphire, but they're nothing like the sapphires we all know. The photo below is a crystal called LBO (lithium triborate). When it gets to me, it's much smaller. The size of the parts I am working on today are 2.5mm x 2.5mm x 25mm long. They're tiny. I am uploading a picture of the crystal when it is grown and the second picture is what I am working on now after it's been cut up and polished. The 3rd picture is a view through the microscope I am using to clean the surface before I load it into a chamber where its "coated" with a "thin film" of metal oxides.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, lol. Sorry. I could talk about this stuff all day! 7742914e9342c9798b8e392f0148b8a1.jpg27d94c305f5e4e2e4c21c0f48480a774.jpgb10478c690b63db3253c575cc36ebe29.jpg

• AndThen, 13dias, GiveNoFox and 4 others like this

#19 Hydra_

Hydra_

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3859 posts
  • LocationDot

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:41 PM

I'm a stayathome fuckup and have been blacklist for employment.  

• rigorous_paragon, Sam_Mazing, warm and 2 others like this

UGW 95lbs

BMR 1493                           giphy.gif    Increase exercise!

Dem done comdem, a bare dead man dem.

Dem done nuh like mi an mi nah guh like dem. 

Dem guh stoop low.

Nuh confidence.

#20 anadaya1988

anadaya1988

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

Wow nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • DisturbedVanity likes this
"Hunger is a need, an enduring hollowness that begs for satisfaction by any means necessary. "-Kelsey Miller on the Minnesota Starvation Experiment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users