Please read: my experience with diet pill addiction, and how to prevent it. - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Please read: my experience with diet pill addiction, and how to prevent it.

diet pills diet pill addiction stimulants hydroxycut xenadrine lipo 6 caffeine ephedrine synephrine

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 crimeforpunishment

crimeforpunishment

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8403 posts
  • Locationwalking in the cold november rain

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

Here's my story. Scroll down if you just want to see how to cycle diet pills.

I first took diet pills in July '13. They worked like a charm: I could restrict in ways I simply couldn't have before, and I still had energy to work out. I thought they were the best thing since diet coke. I convinced (aka manipulated) my mother into taking them through the register for me, since I was sixteen and my state requires you be eighteen to purchase them. The bottle said to take the pills for eight weeks, then go two weeks without taking them before starting a new bottle.

I decided to be extra careful, and only take them during the week. I slept extra on the weekends for sure, but it worked. On the occasional weekday where I forgot my magic pill, I was still functional. I continued doing this until September '13. Then the school year restarted, and I had such a heavy courseload. Sometimes I had to take them Saturdays or Sundays as well because I needed the extra work time. I just took 3-4 days off from them every few weeks. It worked fine.

In December, I was on Christmas break when I had to take 3-4 days off. I struggled so badly...and decided I'd spread the three days out. I took one day off, three different times during the month. 

January '14 hit, and I had finals. I stayed up for days on end, but realized I was just so unfocused from lack of sleep, even when I was wide awake from the diet pills. There was no way I was taking any time off. In fact, I needed more help. I told myself I would never do this again, but I took Adderall several times over the course of that week. 

When the hellacious week ended, I didn't make myself take time off from the pills. I was sleeping a ton anyway. When I finally tried to take time off in February, I couldn't do it. I just wasn't functional. I couldn't stay awake more than a few hours at a time. I gained weight. I couldn't stand it. So, I stopped taking days off. 

June '14: I started looking for stronger pills. Found them, too. 

August '14: I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, subtype 1. I admitted the diet pill use to my psychiatrist. She took me off my antidepressant, Wellbutrin, because she was concerned about a bad reaction with the stimulants. She wanted to hospitalize me, because the diet pill use concerned her so. I didn't think it was that big a deal. I just took a pill a few times a day, and I was fine. But, I decided to stop taking them, at least temporarily, because I wanted the Wellbutrin back. 

It took me two months to work my way off of those diet pills. I never felt right during that time. I gained weight, without my antidepressant or the diet pills. I got Wellbutrin back, but half the dose I'd been taking. And then I relapsed. Started taking diet pills again. 

It's now almost April '15. I've been addicted to diet pills for a year and a half, and have been taking them for close to two years. They have no effect on my appetite. But, I have to take them twice a day or I am useless. My heart rate and blood pressure are all over the place. I feel moodier and I hate my guilty secret. I need to stop taking them. I keep telling myself that once I get my full dose of Wellbutrin back, I'll quit taking them. I question whether I'll manage that. 

This was avoidable. Completely, totally avoidable. Of course, if I'd just never started taking them, I wouldn't have become addicted. But I could have used them, and not become addicted, had I continued to cycle them.

How to cycle diet pills:

It's not enough to take a day off here or there. You need to switch which product you use, because they all contain different stimulants/mood enhancers. Switching the product helps prevent addiction to any of the individual components. But, no matter what, you have to take days off regularly, so your body doesn't lack sleep for extended periods of time.

My recommendation is to take the pills during the week, but always take weekends off. There CANNOT be exceptions. If you need the pills over a weekend, take your break before the weekend, rather than after. Even taking 2/7 days off, you still need to take a full week off every couple of months.

The other thing you can do, is rotate which product you use every couple weeks. For instance, if you have one product that contains stimulants but one that doesn't, you could do a 28- day cycle like this: 14 days of the non-stimulant product, then 12 days of the stimulant, then 2 days with no product. I strongly suggest lining those two days up so that they're on a weekend, as you will need to sleep in.

Don't take any product for more than a few months at a time, even though you're taking breaks. If you're going to use only stimulants, I would still suggest purchasing two different products, and rotating them every two weeks (but still taking the weekends off from either product). 

This is really, really important to do. Being addicted to them is horrible, and they stop being effective surprisingly quickly if you aren't taking time off. 

Please feel free to post any questions you have. I'll be following this thread and I'll respond as best I can to everyone.

http://www.myproana....-to-diet-pills/

• eight, kidiot, lovely100 and 44 others like this

PUgnrRv.jpg

Height: 4'11"

MPA SW: 123.6 lbs

CW: 96.8 lbs hahahahaHA not anymore..

LW: 78 lbs

CONTROL FREAKS CLUB

Masochist of the Starving Sisters

Does my butt make these pants look fat? :unsure:

My accountability/thoughts: here

#2 Guest_...sad..._*

Guest_...sad..._*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

I personally don't take any pills or laxatives, but I'm so glad that you got help for your problems.

• alisonatee likes this

#3 LadyLioness

LadyLioness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

Thank you so much for this post. I'll try to start cycling my diet pills as you've advised.

#4 bbblollipop

bbblollipop

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

The ones I have taken so far all had specific details on how to cycle them... Idk I got mine from GNC (supplement carrying chain store). Which diet pills have used? 

• Bitchisbaxx likes this

Name: Lolly 

Loc: ON, Canada

Height: 5'4

SW: 95lbs (3/30)

UGW: 80-85lbs

ABC DIET 2016 (3/30 – 5/18) 2016

Spoiler

DIET RULES

Spoiler

Daily April Exercise Goals

Spoiler

#5 bbblollipop

bbblollipop

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

Btw if you were taking stimulants for that long, its a miracle that you're heart is still alive. I think you should at least visit a doctor and at least get the most basic check ups done like EKG! I hope you'll be ok soon. 

• Willy Wonka's Wife., skinny_lily95, ash~doll and 1 other like this

Name: Lolly 

Loc: ON, Canada

SW: 95lbs (3/30)

UGW: 80-85lbs

ABC DIET 2016 (3/30 – 5/18) 2016

Spoiler

DIET RULES

Spoiler

Daily April Exercise Goals

Spoiler

#6 Rorschach

Rorschach

Advanced Sage

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2483 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:35 PM

Great topic crime.

Hey gotta a question for you.

If you don't mind me asking of course...... The diet pills you took, were they stimulants? Laxatives? Thermogenics?

What kind were they? Granted I'm not asking for a particular name and dosage (you can say if you want to though), I was

just wondering what kind of diet pills they were...

Because honestly, today the term 'diet pills' have become so loose today in my opinion. . . . . .

Thanks for reading Crime   :)

• fatal-faerie, Colmaleo, marimochan2 and 1 other like this

If you or someone you love from MPA is in a crisis come here.

Spoiler

The beautiful, perfect girlfriend that I love dearly more than anything in the world.

#7 jevoudraisA

jevoudraisA

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1784 posts
  • LocationUK, England

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:57 PM

I hate to be the one to say it but if you can avoid taking diet from the start please do. Addiction can be put on anyone, even if you feel likke you can control yourself. Please just don't start diet pills, you will regret it.
  • Minge Eating Disorder, serenaa9885, Willow998 and 2 others like this

crawling back to you

tumblr_lc0d4xCpe11qa0abuo1_400_large.png

#8 Getwrekt420

Getwrekt420

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:40 AM

You genuinely tips the scale on that decision for me, haven't tried them and was looking into it. Thanks for sharing. I have no problems with restrictions but i can't work out much. I'm looking for mental and physical supplements then I guess. Thank you

#9 elsie-

elsie-

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

What kinds of pills do you have to rotate? I take like supplements like garcinia but I'm not sure if that's the same thing

Spoiler

#10 elsie-

elsie-

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

does anyone else take antidepressants? I was wondering if you can combine them with diet pills without accidentally dying or something

• error404 and count-my-ribs like this

Spoiler

#11 JessMarie

JessMarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPennsyvania

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

I'm on a prescription diet pill called Phentermine and it does help, but I have add and i'm used to the stimulants, I also take Zoloft and they work fine together if that answers anything, I highly recommend Zoloft for the binge impulses bc I have been on so many antidepressants for 16 years (I'm 31)- it's the only one that makes you smile and I did NOT gain weight bc of it!!!!!!!!! either time, this is my 2nd time on it, I'm all smiley usually around the afternoons and I'm not even taking my benzo's or temazepam, but I have SEVERE PTSD and am thinking about going bk on them as well.  I've had bulimia for a hot second now! and I always and gagging and throwing up on my own now, but I havn't thrown directly up in awhile, Get better! Love,

Jess

sw:190

Cw:180

Lw:96 lbs

gw: 96 one goal one shot!                I'd also like to say so far I've been eating to lose and one thing which I will prolly talk more about is the PALEO DIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 Ceredwn Glyndwr

Ceredwn Glyndwr

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

does anyone else take antidepressants? I was wondering if you can combine them with diet pills without accidentally dying or something

Don't do it :(
  • Willow998 likes this

#13 Miyuki

Miyuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

Thank you for sharing! I'd been curious about trying them but now I think I'll steer clear. I really hope you manage to kick them, being addicted sounds beyond unpleasant! :(

Height = 5ft 8"

Start Weight - 135

Current Weight - 127

GW1- 125 (Massage!)

GW2 - 122 (Pedicure)

GW3 - 120 (Levi Jeans)

GW4- 118 (Black Milk Leggings)

UGW 115 - (Agent Provocateur Bikini)

My Accountability Thread

#14 Guest_CoffeeandCats_*

Guest_CoffeeandCats_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

Thank you ! I have been addicted to diet pills before and honestly I don't even know why because they didn't work I'm so glad I got out of the addiction x

#15 Guest_cry-baby_*

Guest_cry-baby_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

Thank you for this post. I was considering diet pills but was scared they would interact with my antidepressants. Knowing your story, I'm going to stay away from them.

I'm glad you are getting help and I hope you can fully recover one day. Stay strong xx

#16 eternally_feral

eternally_feral

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1751 posts
  • LocationSA, TX

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

I use ephedra now that it's legal again sometimes with caffeine pills but usually the ephedra works. I only take it on days where I'm really dragging though but they work better than any diet pill I've tried before and I've been through a lot of them. My ephedra pills are Black Widows and has the highest dose of ephedra that's legal.
  • Katie723 likes this

I understand the fascination

The dream that comes alive at night

But if you don't change your situation

Then you'll die, you'll die, don't die, don't die

Please don't die

CW: 146.4

HW: 163.8

GW: 88

#17 crimeforpunishment

crimeforpunishment

Omniscient

• Members
  • 8403 posts
  • Locationwalking in the cold november rain

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:47 AM

Oh wow I didn't know my thread had been pinned! Well hey I'm back and can answer any questions but my quote function doesn't work so you pretty much have to follow the thread :(

PUgnrRv.jpg

Height: 4'11"

MPA SW: 123.6 lbs

CW: 96.8 lbs hahahahaHA not anymore..

LW: 78 lbs

CONTROL FREAKS CLUB

Masochist of the Starving Sisters

Does my butt make these pants look fat? :unsure:

My accountability/thoughts: here

#18 Anonymous.0017

Anonymous.0017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:25 PM

Damn...
I was thinking of starting to take diet pills as well

#19 Bananasaurus

Bananasaurus

Omniscient

• Members
  • 8158 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:39 PM

They can totally screw up your your adrenals, constant overstimulation, stimulants cause you to produce more epinephrine, your body enrmtually burns out, plus your body senses you're on overdrive, so it compensates by lowering thyroid hormone ourput and conversion.

So, your dependency be ones not only psychological, but physical as well.

Combine that with nutrient deficrncies, overexercising, chronic caliroc restriction, etc. recipe for disaster.
🍌

#20 Bananasaurus

Bananasaurus

Omniscient

• Members
  • 8158 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:47 PM

It's also when you start taking extracts that things can become a problem, I like to use the example of coca leaves and cocaine, native Andean peoples use coca leaves just fine, but cocaone is addictive and dangerous. Coffee and caffeine pills, pseudafed and crystal meth. Even refined sugars and grains, way more "addicting" and "harmful" than in its whole form.
  • crimeforpunishment likes this
🍌

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diet pills, diet pill addiction, stimulants, hydroxycut, xenadrine, lipo 6, caffeine, ephedrine, synephrine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users