Is organic food healthier? - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Is organic food healthier?

organic conventional healthy eating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MyLovelydiet.com

MyLovelydiet.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

Is organic food healthier? In terms of promoting organic agriculture as environmentally sustainable agriculture, it is. But there is no conclusive evidence that organically grown foods are more nutritious or concentrated in nutrients than conventionally grown foods, except perhaps vitamin Czinc and iron which may be higher in organically grown leafy vegetables and potatoes. One study comparing organically grown vs. conventionally grown berries and corn showed statistically greater amounts of polyphenols (phytonutrients with antioxidant capabilities, that help prevent cardiovascular disease) in the organically grown produce compared to that conventionally grown. With organic methods, the nitrogen present in composted soil is released slowly and therefore plants grow at a normal rate, with their nutrients in balance. Vegetables fertilized with conventional fertilizers grow very rapidly and allocate less energy to develop nutrients. Nutrient values in produce peak at prime ripeness, just after harvest. As a general rule, the less produce has to travel, the fresher and more nutrient-rich it remains. Buy local whenever possible. Local food only has to travel a few miles—rather than hundreds—which means it will be fresher, have more flavor, and have less of a carbon footprint.

Fruits and vegetables are grown without conventional pesticides, petroleum-based fertilizers, or sewage sludge-based fertilizers. The land on which organic crops are grown is required to be pesticide and herbicide free for 3 years before a crop is harvested. In addition, bioengineering or genetic modification or ionizing radiation cannot be used in the production of the food. But organic standards allow for the use of organic pesticides, some of which may be just as dangerous as synthetic ones.

More about: http://www.mylovelyd...-healthier.html

http://www.mylovelyd...s.blogspot.com/

http://www.mylovelydiet.com/ - is a group of doctors, dietitians and top chiefs, gathered together to provide top quality meal plans just right for you and your family.

#2 Guest_FitChad_*

Guest_FitChad_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

I eat organic as much as possible - especially vegetables and meat - which is pretty much all I eat! Lol!

Great book that deals with this issue is Anti-Cancer by Dr. David Schreiber. 

#3 Guest_Alauren_*

Guest_Alauren_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

It's very likely that organic fruits and vegetables have higher nutrient contents. But besides for that - my main reason for eating organic is that I refuse to put all those toxins and pesticides in me. I know it would really take a build up of a huge amount but I see no reason to put foreign substances in my body that could mess with its functioning (ie. hormone balance, digestion, metabolism, weight loss, etc.) i don't need the added risks of cancers and degenerative diseases that those chemicals could cause!!! Il take my food clean please or not at all!! Aka unless that apple is organic its not going anywhere near my mouth!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: organic, conventional, healthy eating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users