Victoria's Secret cancelling their annual runway show - Page 4 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Victoria's Secret cancelling their annual runway show

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 lilacdust

lilacdust

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:28 AM

y'all been attempting to delude yourselves saying shit like the brand sets unattainable standards for women when the gag is these girls have actually attained them lmao

the healthiness of these models' bodies is debatable but its definitely not unattainable and unrealistic, these girls are literally living proof that it is possible

more is implied by words than their denotation. when people say it’s unattainable, they don’t mean that it’s physically impossible that anyone could ever look like these models do. they mean to say that (1) it’s unattainable based on bone structure and weight distribution (2) it’s unattainable for people whose job isn’t based on their looks and therefore do not justifiably have the time to put equivalent effort toward an aesthetic goal (3) it’s unattainable to maintain that precise aesthetic long term since these models go on specific regimens to rid themselves of water weight and bloat; even these girls don’t look how they look on that night all the time.
  • ☆PaisleySky☆, cherryblossompearl, trubbish and 4 others like this

#62 poiuytr

poiuytr

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts
  • LocationState of Denial

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:50 AM

I would agree that if you're not their target audience then they shouldn't have to well, target you.  I have double D bra size no matter how small I get - their bras don't fit me at all.

mdJZlzb.gif

cute-anorexic-chicks-thrurscays-o-kdlt-f

My blog:

https://thinandhealt....wordpress.com/

#63 Thinwaist-expensivetaste

Thinwaist-expensivetaste

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:42 AM

Lots of brands La Perla, AP use skinny models.. Tbh VS quality is declining and everyone is focusng on savage fenty because its inclusive marketing, i wont personally buy anything from savage because its not my taste... VS also alienating their main older customers by focusing on their PINK range. They've been losing money since bralettes became popular, they dont have trendy fashion forward pieces anymore. Just super padded . bras which arent popular right now. ANYWAYS i will miss my annual tradition on eating ben and jerry's and crying that i'll never look like an angel lol

It doesn’t get easier, you just get better at it.

tumblr pajdi2CGJu1xt4hhbo2 1280

#64 1-800-monimoni

1-800-monimoni

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 986 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:25 AM

what do you all think? please remain respectful in your comments. we're here to discuss, not to start arguments.

This wasn't written well and we all appreciate you not bashing on body sizes (at least i do because ive been on both ends of the spectrum).

It's kinda lame that they're taking their runway down over people who basically just skinny shame. Some people just have naturally skinny bodies and prettt faces? Who are we to make thin models cancel their runway (making their jobs more complicated in realer terms) when there are other modeling agencies that prefer thick models as well and ones that prefer a mix of both? It just sounds like a bunch of skinny shaming shit made by over offended fat acceptance advocates which i dont entirely agree with either.
  • helenaviya likes this

#65 1-800-monimoni

1-800-monimoni

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 986 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:26 AM

This was written well and we all appreciate you not bashing on body sizes (at least i do because ive been on both ends of the spectrum).

It's kinda lame that they're taking their runway down over people who basically just skinny shame. Some people just have naturally skinny bodies and prettt faces? Who are we to make thin models cancel their runway (making their jobs more complicated in realer terms) when there are other modeling agencies that prefer thick models as well and ones that prefer a mix of both? It just sounds like a bunch of skinny shaming shit made by over offended fat acceptance advocates which i dont entirely agree with either.

• justlookthroughme likes this

#66 glitchywaifu

glitchywaifu

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:40 AM

deleted

• trubbish and Princess Daisy like this

#67 calorieskilledtheteenager

calorieskilledtheteenager

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Locationanywhere else

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:56 AM

i don't think it's as much about body diversity as it is about their blatant and repeated transphobia

also VS is shit. the quality is shit, it's overpriced, their bra fitters are underqualified and give you a shitty made up size that you'll only ever be able to buy in VS. they also rip off other designers: 

https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link

https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link

their ratings were plummeting and they're blaming it on public demand for fat models, basically, when in reality the brand has fallen apart

• Princess Daisy likes this

giphy.gif

#68 Robin is a clown

Robin is a clown

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

I agree with OP...
After all, it's their money, so if they want to keep their image and they're okay with making less benefits from their brand, let them...

(But on the other hand, I don't understand why they still refuse trans woman to model for them and I hope they'll change their mind but well....)

I'm just holding on to my better demons

And I really need them not to fail me now

She/They - Accountability

robinsbones on EDC

Stats

Spoiler

#69 Guest_vem_*

Guest_vem_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

I have my own issues with VS (why do all of your bras make my boobs stick out more I’m trying to get smaller!) but I always liked their runway show. It’s a bummer for all those models that work really hard.

lol agreed. Their bras suck but the fashion show was cute. Frustrating to see people get offended by the existence of skinny models, honestly. It's like they can't tolerate someone thin because it makes them feel mediocre. Wild that being an adult means you're responsible for your own body.

EDIT: upon reading the other replies, fuck the men who own VS, I guess I can deal with no fashion show because I hate their Epstein-affiliated asses

• trubbish likes this

#70 thisisjustadistractionlol

thisisjustadistractionlol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:54 PM

the root of this situation, i believe, is VS's refusal to diversify their models. with people nowadays embracing their bodies (as they should) i assume its hard for VS to remain relevant (edit: thus, their decision to cancel it of their own accord)

my personal opinion on this, however (i might be getting backlash from this but this is purely my own personal opinion, as i mentioned earlier), is that VS has the right to keep their brand exclusive. if the image of VS is of tall, waif-thin skinny female skeletons then so be it. if they refuse to cater to every single public person's representation on the runway, then let them. its THEIR show. its THEIR identity. its the image that they have uphold probably since their brand conception.

while i fully support other brands endorsing body positivity because every body is different and beautiful in their own way (except mine because i cant convince myself that my body is acceptable) i feel like VS has the right to run their business the way they want to even if it means the only target audience left for VS is people on this site. if they rather go bankrupt than be inclusive, its their decision.

what do you all think? please remain respectful in your comments. we're here to discuss, not to start arguments.

#71 thisisjustadistractionlol

thisisjustadistractionlol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:55 PM

They wont go bankrupt bc of cancelling the show. It never actually made a difference to their revenue

#72 dylanisnolongerdyingsadly

dylanisnolongerdyingsadly

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:00 PM

I agree. Imo anyway most of those girls bodies when unedited look more natural than the beauty standard nowadays aka ridiculous skinny waist and huge diaper butt and thighs LOL
That shits nasty
  • skelliebelle and nofunclub like this
My signature is a mess rn redoing it lol

Spoiler

773427w34lc9wivu.gif

#73 caitlyn22

caitlyn22

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:11 PM

thats a bummer, i liked watching their runway show. i also compared myself to the girls but anyway. i hope that norms keep getting pushed but like some of you have said that is VS normal is real skinny ladies. so doesnt mean they should change their brand or cancel runway show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users