Books You Don't Want to Finish? - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Books You Don't Want to Finish?

books novels enjoyment dislike reading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaybug150

Kaybug150

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:57 PM

What are books you don't want to finish, haven't finished, or have reread, for either positive or negative reasons?

For example, "Wintergirls" is my favorite novel, and I am literally always in the middle of reading it. I've read it so many times, I have the majority of it memorized. I have one copy of it in hardcover, several copies in softbound, (a friend of mine sent me a few with different covers for Christmas last year), a copy in my e-reader, and the audiobook on my computer and the three iPods I've purchased over the years.

Despite my love of reading, I'm typically a slow reader, and sometimes I'll lose focus halfway through a book. But the book "Tiny Pretty Things" - and it's sequel, "Shiny Broken Pieces" - are books I have a ton of fun reading, despite their not-so-fun subject matter. I've read the first book twice, and I'm currently in the middle of my second time reading the second book. I'm reading it slowly, because I don't want it to be done.

On the other side of that, I have books I dislike so much, I've never finished them. Despite my enjoyment of classic literature, I hate "The Scarlet Letter". I never even bothered to finish it when it was required reading in high school, and just used cliff notes in order to do the work required for the class.

I also hate the book "The Miseducation of Cameron Post". Not just because of the subject matter, but because it was like the author had no idea when to end a paragraph. They just went on and on. I never finished reading it, and I hated it so much, it was the only book I ever threw away. Usually, when I don't intend to read a book again, I'll give it to someone, or sell it online. But I hated that book so much, I didn't even want other people to get their hands on it.   :P  So I literally put it in a trash bag and threw it out.

I'm a writer, myself, and I have a certain level of respect for anyone who manages to not only write a book, but have it published, as well. The idea of throwing away a book is like sacrilege to me. But I hated that book so much, I threw it right out.

I have before - I will again.

The scale doesn't lie - people do

HW: 123

LW: 99

CW: 116

GW1: 105

GW2: 99

UGW: 95 / 88

​There's a room inside your gut

​Close the door and keep it shut

​Let no daylight enter in

And the punishment begin

Emptiness is pure. Starvation is the cure.

#2 wasting

wasting

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:49 PM

I love winter girls too and I have re read that book so many times. I need to buy a new one my hard copy is starting to show wear and tear. It would be an amazing thing if Laurie wrote another book about lia

The books I don't want to finish are usually classics I deem boring like Remains of the day or The picture of Dorian gray or the awakening. I have tried on several occasions to read these books but my brain is like no
Been tryna die since 09
24.F. 5’7.Cw:117lbs, UGW: 100lbs

#3 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:13 PM

"The last vampire" series by Christopher pike [now published under "thirst"]. I don't want to leave sita and her world.

"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain." ~ Karl Marx

#4 hazelskies

hazelskies

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:42 AM

i never finished the book “breathing underwater” by alex flinn because it was overdue for the library and i returned it, but i’m not sure if i’ll ever check it out again to finish it. it was a story about an abusive 16 yr old boy, from his perspective. it was very real, is all i can say. it was kind of hard to read. i do wonder how the book ends though. i might finish it some day.

“𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲’𝘀 𝘀𝗼 𝘀𝗺𝗮𝗹𝗹, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗶’𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗶𝗴𝗴𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝗺𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗺 𝗮𝗹𝗹.” —𝘀𝗮𝘃𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗮𝗵 𝗯𝗿𝗼𝘄𝗻

height: 5’1” (155 cm)
hw: 116 lbs (52.6 kg)

cw: 111.2 lbs (50.4 kg)

lw: 104 lbs (47.2 kg)
ugw: 85 lbs (38.5 kg)

#5 scarsxbones

scarsxbones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLos Alamos, NM

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:22 PM

Sometimes I don't finish ED books where they recover at the end. I don't want to think about that part.

hw: 132

lw: 90

cw: 123.2
gw: 115

:(    :(    :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, novels, enjoyment, dislike, reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users