Eating random household items - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Eating random household items

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Thisusercravesdeath

Thisusercravesdeath

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:52 PM

So, I've done this my whole life. I have eaten toilet paper, paper of all kinds, cushion filling, stuffed toys filling, dried paint, pencil led, wood, plastic, tissue, metal, my nails, carpet, etc. And the list goes on. I don't know why I do it, I know I have pica and that my family knows but they get angry at me when they find out and then I just got more ashamed. Anyone had at least a similar experience?

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk

#2 littlelightweight

littlelightweight

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4200 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:19 PM

There is nothing to be ashamed of, and brave of you to admit it. I personally don’t have it, but know you are not alone.
  • MiniMissJ and Thisusercravesdeath like this

#3 Thisusercravesdeath

Thisusercravesdeath

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

There is nothing to be ashamed of, and brave of you to admit it. I personally don’t have it, but know you are not alone.

Thanks I appreciate it

• littlelightweight likes this

#4 trubbish

trubbish

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1801 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

I don't think I could be diagnosed with pica, but I have eaten non-edible things

Toilet paper a couple times, tissues slightly more, but when I was actually gaining weight I had the most intense cravings for chalk/corn starch. So I bought corn starch and would eat it. Like semi-frequently. 

It was really hard and confusing cuz at the time I was like "Im not restricting, technically, and I'm gaining weight, so why do I wanna eat things that are not foods?" I still havent looked into why, bc eventually I just had to work really hard at ignoring the urge. I still have a container of corn starch under my bathroom sink and every now and then the craving comes back. But I'll just rub it between my fingers or play with it and if the temptation gets too strong I'll find something totally unrelated to distract myself with

I do have experience with telling my bf about it tho. I brought it up once and he was like "wtf really? thats a thing? that people do? why?" and I just tried to scientifically explain it to him as best I could.

Fun fact, some pregnant women will experience PICA temptations. Like they're just craving/lacking certain vitamins or something and they think "god if I just ate some fucking clay that would make me feel better, baby demands CLAY." 

It's not that weird, honestly, when you think about it 

Definitely not healthy, and so I hope you're looking out for yourself and take your health seriously, but I understand. 

• Thisusercravesdeath likes this

🌱Accountability (113 to 89lbs)🌱

5'3.75 

CW: 91.4 (BMI: 15.8)

GW 1: 110 (BMI: 19)
GW 2: 100 (BMI: 17.3)
GW 3: 95 (BMI: 16.4)
LW: 90 (BMI: 15.9)
UGW: 85 (BMI: 15.1)

#5 Thisusercravesdeath

Thisusercravesdeath

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:09 PM

I don't think I could be diagnosed with pica, but I have eaten non-edible things
Toilet paper a couple times, tissues slightly more, but when I was actually gaining weight I had the most intense cravings for chalk/corn starch. So I bought corn starch and would eat it. Like semi-frequently.
It was really hard and confusing cuz at the time I was like "Im not restricting, technically, and I'm gaining weight, so why do I wanna eat things that are not foods?" I still havent looked into why, bc eventually I just had to work really hard at ignoring the urge. I still have a container of corn starch under my bathroom sink and every now and then the craving comes back. But I'll just rub it between my fingers or play with it and if the temptation gets too strong I'll find something totally unrelated to distract myself with

I do have experience with telling my bf about it tho. I brought it up once and he was like "wtf really? thats a thing? that people do? why?" and I just tried to scientifically explain it to him as best I could.

Fun fact, some pregnant women will experience PICA temptations. Like they're just craving/lacking certain vitamins or something and they think "god if I just ate some fucking clay that would make me feel better, baby demands CLAY."
It's not that weird, honestly, when you think about it
Definitely not healthy, and so I hope you're looking out for yourself and take your health seriously, but I understand.

I do hold back the urge usually it's just sometimes, I put paper in my mouth without realising and just give in

#6 TheThinnestUnicorn

TheThinnestUnicorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:47 AM

So, I've done this my whole life. I have eaten toilet paper, paper of all kinds, cushion filling, stuffed toys filling, dried paint, pencil led, wood, plastic, tissue, metal, my nails, carpet, etc. And the list goes on. I don't know why I do it, I know I have pica and that my family knows but they get angry at me when they find out and then I just got more ashamed. Anyone had at least a similar experience?

Dude my whole life ive chewed and eaten everything lol so I feel you

#7 VioletL

VioletL

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2949 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:01 AM

I personally don’t or ever have struggled with Pica. But, don’t ever be ashamed of your disorder - you’re unwell. Just like we all are! It doesn’t matter what label our eating disorder has. They’re all disorders.

Stay safe

#8 Onamissiontobethin

Onamissiontobethin

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:12 AM

Dude my whole life ive chewed and eaten everything lol so I feel you

Same. I just eat stuff. IDK why I even have fingers left tbh. I've eaten the skin off them for so long. Paper, tissues, candle wax, hair, eyelashes, pencils, any dead skin or scabs I have, the inside of my cheeks, ice, styrofoam, plastic, aluminum foil, grass, tree leaves, pine needles, thread, leather, the sticky stuff that credit cards are stuck to the paper with, cardboard, remote control buttons, river clay. The list goes on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users