Calories while breastfeeding - Parents with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Calories while breastfeeding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzylyn_

Jazzylyn_

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationGa

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:59 AM

Ok guys before I get any hate on this topic let me start off by saying I want an idea of how many calories to eat to maintain my milk supply BUT also not to gain too much. I feel like my mental health wont be able to take it if i gain any more weight but I dont want to compromise my supply since I'm still breastfeeding my 10 week old. I read that I should be eating about 300 to 400 more calories than my normal daily intake..but the problem is I dont have a "normal" intake. Before I got pregnant I was restricting a LOT sometimes fasting but usually just staying under 1000 calories.

Here's my stats if it helps
Pre pregnancy weight: 148-150
Weight during pregnancy: 197
Weight after delivery: 180
Current weight: 176-178

If anyone can give me a good idea of what's considered healthy for please let me know. I'm not extremely worried about losing a ton of weight right now but I definitely dont want to gain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  • AliceInCrazyLand likes this

HW: 195 (ew)

CW: 182

LW: 130

GW1: 175

GW2: 165

GW3: 150

GW4: 135

GW5: 120

UGW: 115-105 :D

"If you really want something you don't stop for anyone or anything until you get it" - Blair Waldorf

#2 greenteavegan

greenteavegan

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Your height would help for a more accurate prediction. Assuming you are about medium height and are aiming for slow weight loss while staying generally healthy and keeping your milk supply up I would say you need at least 1500 calories plus breastfeeding calories, all in all aiming for 1900 calories. In the beginning you need about 400 calories because of the extra fat in you colostrum, then 300 calories, but it actually gets more every month until 6 months by about 40-50 cals, so by 6 months you need about 500 extra calories before it gets less again when introducing solids. So even 2000-2300 cals shouldn't make you gain at this point, that's about your maintainance calories. Your body is still healing and repairing for about 9 months postpartum and needs some extra energy.
LW: 42kg (170cm)
GW1: 50kg, GW2: 47kg, GW3: 44kg, GW4: 41kg

#3 AliceInCrazyLand

AliceInCrazyLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:51 PM

I have wondered this as I’ve exclusively breastfed my three month old who feeds on demand. At first I was hardly eating, and even though I didn’t see a drop on supply, I found she didn’t ever seem satisfied. So I settled in an increase. On average, you’ll burn ABOUT 500 calories so I always sort of think of reaching at least 1,000 but usually 1500 to be safe.
AN/BP
5’1, Relapsing, mother of 2, (7 year old and 3 month old), just looking for a place to settle my demons again.
CW: 97 lbs
HW:129 lbs
LW:76 lbs
GW1: 90 lbs
GW2: 85 lbs
UGW: 80 lbs

My accountability: https://www.myproana...-966-to-80-lbs/

#4 Pineapple Lumps

Pineapple Lumps

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:58 AM

Even if the things that you do eat are good for boosting supply e.g. try incorporating flaxseed and brewers yeast into your diet as it stands in some way - I ate heaps of this when I was breastfeeding and it helped maintain my supply feeding twins.

#5 x.sparklespaz.x

x.sparklespaz.x

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:32 PM

https://tdeecalculat...1P_lSeCZWeatSqw

If you follow the maintenance level your supply shouldn’t drop but still lose weight

I will get there one pound at a time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users