Stupid things normies believe? - Page 3 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Stupid things normies believe?

• Please log in to reply
1099 replies to this topic

#41 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

Omg. Someone should write a book on all the stupid stuff normies say because after reading this threat I'm laughing my ass off at the stupidly of it all.

My aunty is always on a one diet or another and she asked me what the secret is to finding the right one. Umm.... Just eat less than your TDEE. Like seriously, you can do any stupid ass diet but if you eat too much sugar or fat and above what you burn off, you will gain.

It just seems like common sense but at the same time, the diet industry is HUGE. All it really tells me is that there are far too many idiots in the world.
  • Oakley❅, unworthyliving, Nexbirs and 16 others like this
2020 will be the new beginning of no longer low restricting. High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

Height: 5 foot 7 / 171cms,
Highest Weight: 180 pounds / 82 kgs, (BMI 28.0)
Lowest Weight: 85 pounds / 39 kgs, (BMI 13.3)

ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT (again): 85 pounds / 39 kgs OR LOWER!!!

#42 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:13 PM

Correction: anything under 21 BMI
Most of the people in America are so overweight that they have a warped perception on what is actually underweight lmao
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Omg yes!!! My family are all either on the border of obese or are obese and they look at me (currently BMI 18) and think, "god your only like 35kgs/75 pounds" because to them, BMI 18 is like soooooooooo emaciated. FFS. It's because they are use to obesity being the norm.
  • SugarKatX, Abbey84, KamileJ and 9 others like this
2020 will be the new beginning of no longer low restricting. High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

#43 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:16 PM

Not for me, I have insulin resistance so calories from carbs are not the same for me as calories from fat or protein.

Ohh sorry to her that hun.
  • aneles and MissFatCat like this

#44 Omoi

Omoi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:21 PM

The food pyramid.

I saw someone say salad but honestly it kills me when people think a salad drenched in dressing or oil is healthy.

"Starvation mode".

That fasting is gonna kill your metabolism.

I think these are the worst ones that get to me. I really don't like when normies talk about their "diets" or try to give unwanted advice on mine. I always try to change the subject when any of the above is mentioned.

• Cherry_blossom_, pizzaprincess, closethedoor and 11 others like this

F 5'7 20s
CW: 134.8 | GW1: 120 |  
GW2: 110 | UGW: 100

#45 Space45

Space45

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:21 PM

My mother drinks Diet Coke like it’s going to counteract the 2000+ calories she eats throughout the rest of the day and make her lose weight.

Like no, Diet Coke doesn’t burn calories.
  • cumha, Nexbirs, Cherry_blossom_ and 6 others like this

#46 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:22 PM

Ohh I'd have to say that one of the funniest things is when people rave about how good a juice fast is. Ummm....checked the sugar content of that have you?
  • wilde_dreamscape, MereReflections, Starving4Cosplay and 12 others like this

#47 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:23 PM

My mother drinks Diet Coke like it’s going to counteract the 2000+ calories she eats throughout the rest of the day and make her lose weight.
Like no, Diet Coke doesn’t burn calories.

Ohh man, this made me giggle.
  • ThatSlytherinChick and MongooseOfLove like this

#48 Sweetbritches

Sweetbritches

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:23 PM

Ohh sorry to her that hun.

That’s why I’m here with an ED because I can’t effing eat like a normal person
  • heyitshayden and scp like this

#49 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:28 PM

That’s why I’m here with an ED because I can’t effing eat like a normal person

Do you have a dr or dietitian helping you out a bit? Or are you able to handle it on your own? (Well as much as someone with an Ed can do)
  • aneles likes this

#50 Sweetbritches

Sweetbritches

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:30 PM

Well it’s kind of self diagnosed (as is the ED) - I strongly suspect I have PCOS. I don’t have health insurance right now because of change in employment.
  • scp likes this

#51 lady mcmeth

lady mcmeth

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:31 PM

All sorts of lies about metabolism and totally off-base assumptions of how something will impact their body

A normie presumption that was so idiotic it actually managed to piss me off was something I saw on a Reddit AMA thread created by a janitor at a rehab for drug addicts. He started making fun of the female drug addicts and saying that they all gained fifty pounds in treatment because the drugs messed up their metabolism. 

I suppose if I was completely removed from the situation and uneducated and had no curiosity, I could see how that makes sense. But as someone who's had an eating disorder, and has been to jail and been to treatment centers for addiction, it's obvious that, when you go from spending every day shooting up meth and heroin (I didn't do this, but I was surrounded by others who did–no judgment, but I'm just not coming from that place to tell that story) to doing nothing in a cell and having no reward system other than to eat sugary junk food, and consuming a lot of it because you're self-soothing because you're recovering from a drug addiction, of course the natural progression for many is weight gain. Especially if you started out a skinny meth head and now you're slightly overweight like is practically the norm among non-drug addict adults in America anyway. It has nothing to do with metabolism and maybe I'm making a huge deal out of it but I don't see how someone could be so ignorant

• Phiih, quiet, SleepWalker and 26 others like this

'Cause the likes ay that cunt needs ching n a few bevvies tae dae that. That's the difference between me n him.

Spoiler

#52 Sweetbritches

Sweetbritches

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:31 PM

Do you have a dr or dietitian helping you out a bit? Or are you able to handle it on your own? (Well as much as someone with an Ed can do)

And yeah I think I can handle it on my own as good as a doctor can. I mean I know my body better than a doctor does. I need to stick to keto if I want to lose weight, or bp.
  • StarryCarly92 likes this

#53 SallySkellington

SallySkellington

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationFillory

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:45 PM

POPULAR

This one really bothers me...

That black girls and black women don't get eating disorders.

• Thinny, SleepWalker, Bruja and 48 others like this

zENgPjC.gif

"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself, then make a change." - Michael Jackson, Man in the Mirror

"Now I'm not a saint but I'm not a sinner and everything's cool as long as I'm getting thinner." - Lily Allen, The Fear

5'9" HW: 212 lbs CW: 182 lbs BMI: 26.9 overweight LW: 122 lbs UGW1: 124lbs UGW2: weightless

I weighed 124 lbs in 8th grade and in my first graduate degree program.  #LoseWeightFeelGreat

212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190

189 188 187 186 185 184 183 182 181 180 179 178 177 176 175 174 173 172 171 170 169 168

167 166 165 164 163 162 161 160 159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150

149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135

134 133 132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124

My Big Fat Accountability Thread

#54 Guest_vem_*

Guest_vem_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:49 PM

Telling people they have an eating disorder and then making excuses. Like one day they have anorexia the next day they’re eating cake and telling everyone they’re trying to recover and the next day they’re fucking bulimic. Anyone else met anyone like this?

lol I’ve met a couple people like this. Like they claim anorexia but they’re full of excuses and they have low standards?? lol
  • sad_diner, skeletalsweetie, KamileJ and 1 other like this

#55 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:40 AM

This one really bothers me...

That black girls and black women don't get eating disorders.

Ohh yeah, because this is a white female thing only, obviously *eye roll*
  • pastelkitty123, littlemissfreakshow, Malora and 14 others like this

#56 skeletalsweetie

skeletalsweetie

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2163 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:32 AM

lol I’ve met a couple people like this. Like they claim anorexia but they’re full of excuses and they have low standards?? lol

Right! Id fucking understand! I want the type of anorexia that has low standards lmfao way better than the one I have now
  • SparrowCorinne and emptyk like this

• sometimes they never wanted to hurt you, they just didn't care at all •

she/her 💫fifteen 💫114lbs

#57 JustALostButterfly

JustALostButterfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:35 AM

Ohh yeah, because this is a white female thing only, obviously *eye roll*

Yeah, this is so annoying. And even more so when someone disregard your eating disorder because you are black and should somehow be "thicc". I believe the same happens for boys out there and girls from other ethnicities.

Classic example: In To the bone the two fucking black girls are damn obese... of course the patient has BED, because why not right?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  • SallySkellington, unworthyliving, pastelkitty123 and 17 others like this
To be light and delicate as a feather.

#58 Abbey84

Abbey84

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:51 AM

Eating 6 small meals a day helps you lose more weight because it "keeps your metabolism burning"

I've lost more weight doing OMAD than I ever had when I used to eat more meals lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  • AnaMajima, LauraL, Laira Rectus and 20 others like this
CW 80lbs bmi 16.2 gw 78lbs

#59 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:13 AM

Eating 6 small meals a day helps you lose more weight because it "keeps your metabolism burning"
I've lost more weight doing OMAD than I ever had when I used to eat more meals lol.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes! Exactly. My psych/dietitian and dr tried to tell me to eat all throughout the day and I would be more likely to lose weight (I'm already underweight but they thought this would appeal to me). But I was like, umm....no. once or twice is more than enough and I've always lost weight fine this way.
  • whyarewelaughing, Nexbirs, Depression blue and 4 others like this

#60 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:15 AM

Yeah, this is so annoying. And even more so when someone disregard your eating disorder because you are black and should somehow be "thicc". I believe the same happens for boys out there and girls from other ethnicities.
Classic example: In To the bone the two fucking black girls are damn obese... of course the patient has BED, because why not right?
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Exactly. The whole 'boys don't get eating disorders' lol. My 'mother' said that once when I pointed out my brother was anorexic. I just burst out laughing at her stupidity. I was pissed at her and didn't care that I laughed.
  • Depression blue, Ryen, Chattering and 1 other like this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bri90