Stupid things normies believe? - Page 55 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Stupid things normies believe?

• Please log in to reply
1118 replies to this topic

#1081 schsam15

schsam15

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:40 PM

People who overestimate the amount of calories that exercise actually burns... like um no a twenty minute walk is not going to burn off that full fat macchiato and slice of cake that you treated yourself to at Starbucks
  • Lloyd, PixelCat, Depression blue and 3 others like this

#1082 Eugène

Eugène

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationIn a room full of pillows.

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:25 AM

People who overestimate the amount of calories that exercise actually burns... like um no a twenty minute walk is not going to burn off that full fat macchiato and slice of cake that you treated yourself to at Starbucks

Agree. Plus "I did 45 minutes of cardio workout, I can have three of these nutella pastries !" (and after that "I'm sporty everyday, why isn't my body changing?")

Thinking that foods that have no calories exist.

The "eating carbs before bed will make you fat", no, carbs are carbs every minute of the day, and that's not what makes you fat. What makes you fat is overeating before bed, because you don't have time to use all this energy and have a proper digestion.

And "there is ONE GOOD WAY to nourish our body". No, unless you eat burgers, fries and pastries plus soda everyday, the good way to nourish your body is the one that suits you, your tastes, and gives your body all of the nutrients it needs. Don't go on a keto lifestyle if you like your banana oatmeal in the morning, don't do chrononutriition if you don't like to eat cheese, meet, eggs, right after you woke up, plus a yoghurt after your meals. Too many people tell me "oh, you must eat according to the chrononutriton, it is the only way to nourish your body without getting fat". No way, eating meat and eggs in the morning makes me weak before 11am, whereas my porridge keeps me full and energized all of my morning. 

• horror_girl and _everyoneintheroom_ like this

Height : 149 cm / 4.89ft
Current weight : 36kg / 79.36lbs
Highest weight : 38kg / 83.78lbs
Lowest weight : 30kg / 66.14lbs
Goal weight : between 36kg / 79.36lbs and 42kg / 92.6lbs, I just want to mentally recover.
BMI : 16.2

“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.”
Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

#1083 _everyoneintheroom_

_everyoneintheroom_

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationImaginationland

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:14 PM

I also despise the misconception that people with EDs are judging everyone else's body. When your friends say, "Well if you think YOU'RE fat, what must you think about ME?"

I can understand why normies would feel hurt and confused ... But as someone with an ED, I always feel like everyone I hang out with is faaarrrrrr more attractive than me, regardless of their weight. I'm never judging someone for being "fat" or "ugly." I'm not judging you, I'm judging me! 

• Lloyd, horror_girl, Depression blue and 3 others like this

5'8"

BMI: 17.6 (9/26/20)

UGW: 115.0

#1084 Aurelias-rain

Aurelias-rain

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:39 PM

Had a lady in a restaurant that asked me about drinks and then said something along the lines that she cant have pinacolada because she cant have dairy. So I was like uh it is actually made with coconut milk and we dont store any dairy on the bar so no worries about allergies and she went "OH IT S WITHOUT MILK SO IT IS NON FATTENING?" and I was speachless like what do I say to this poore woman. A can of this thick coconut cream along with all the syroupy pineapple and alcohol on a top is a fucking carb/fat bomb and a semi skimmed milk would be way better in that situation. 

• Lloyd and Faultea like this

A Deep Slow Panic

CW. 58 KG/127 LBS

GW45KG/99LBS

174cm/5'8

gay, vegan and a moon princess

#1085 Lloyd

Lloyd

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10791 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:15 PM

I also despise the misconception that people with EDs are judging everyone else's body. When your friends say, "Well if you think YOU'RE fat, what must you think about ME?"

I can understand why normies would feel hurt and confused ... But as someone with an ED, I always feel like everyone I hang out with is faaarrrrrr more attractive than me, regardless of their weight. I'm never judging someone for being "fat" or "ugly." I'm not judging you, I'm judging me!

Yes! I was always so annoyed when people would say that to me.
  • Sweet~Revenge, horror_girl, Abbey84 and 1 other like this
Hw 249
LW 134
Cw 205 fucking hell
Gw1 160
Gw2 150
Ugw 130....for now lol

Highest step count is 60,157.

#1086 Abbey84

Abbey84

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:53 AM

Okay this isn’t something that normies believe but my roommate is always like “how am I gonna lose weight?” And I’d never try to reccommend any disordered habits because this is hell but in my head I’m just like “uh, just don’t eat?”

Haha yes or the one's that ask "what should I eat to lose xxx amount of weight in two weeks?" I always want to say "nothing....fast" but I don't have the guts lol

Like what do you think jfc
  • Cerina and Hanna94 like this
CW 80lbs bmi 16.2 gw 78lbs

#1087 Abbey84

Abbey84

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:57 AM

Yes, this is what I mean. Using a tdee calculator is a good tool, it's going by your overall activity level too, not individual exercises. Using for example a fitbit or treadmill calculator isn't very accurate and tends to overestimate a lot. Or a work out that burns "500 cals in 30min" but doesn't account for your stats, or intensity.

Factoring overall activity into your cals for the day, then figuring out a daily deficit is great. Some people just add calories calculated from individual workouts, and adjust from there, which isn't the best. There's tracking apps that do this too.

Kinda like when someone says "I just worked out so I can double my fries" you're likely assuming you burned more than you did, and it's gonna cancel out.

Yes! And why would you want to eat back your exercise calories if you're dieting? Seems pointless to me just count it as calories in the bank. I don't trust those things either I just like the satisfaction I get watching it go up
  • AwkwarddOtter and Cerina like this
CW 80lbs bmi 16.2 gw 78lbs

#1088 bbyalmond

bbyalmond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:38 AM

1. Starving make you gain weight
2. They can lose weight without calorie deficit
3. Fruit has under 100 calories
4. Build muscle make you look better
5. They're so edgy because they missed a meal or two
6. It's about the food
  • Tealover1997 and LittleChefRémy07 like this

#1089 wanting-my-bones

wanting-my-bones

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Locationhere, supposedly

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:07 AM

Serving sizes and talking about metabolism boosters... Like a serving on the package doesn't mean much to me, it completely depends on what you've already eaten, what else you're gonna eat, etc even if you're eating normally
And metabolism boosting stuff is usually complete bullshit

Sent from my microwave using Tapatalk
  • Cerina likes this

#1090 LittleChefRémy07

LittleChefRémy07

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

That eating only proteins makes you magically losing weight.
  • Tealover1997, Cerina and Princess Daisy like this

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

#1091 Efflorescence

Efflorescence

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationCotton Candy Clouds

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:36 AM

"You can eat as much fruits and vegetables as you want and you'll lose weight"

LIKE NoOoOoO

• Tealover1997, AwkwarddOtter, Abbey84 and 6 others like this

SpVwLw.gif

Stats:

|| AN-B/P sub type ||

Height: 5'2"/158CM 

|| HW: 105lb/48kg LW: 74lb/33.5kg CW: 93lb/42.2kg || 

☆ GW1: 90lb/41kg → November 05, 2020

☆ GW2: 85lb/38.5kg → November 20, 2020

☆ GW3: 80lb/36kg → December 05, 2020

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

#1092 Magda144

Magda144

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:27 AM

"You can eat as much fruits and vegetables as you want and you'll lose weight"

LIKE NoOoOoO

Yes yes yes

I'm just dumbfounded that so many people completely overlook caloric intake when they diet and yet they get confused why they're not losing. 

That mentality that as long as you're not eating shit like pizza or fast food you will lose weight. You can eat all the high calorie meats, nuts, avocados and healthy carbs as long as it's not McDonald's or whatever like wtf...??

• Abbey84 and wanting-my-bones like this

542hhr5y-2.png

#1093 horror_girl

horror_girl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2753 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:07 PM

I recently let my parents back into my life for some reason but I told my mom that I'm severely lactose intolerant. She made me grilled cheese because "American cheese isn't real cheese" and then gave me something cooked with milk because "cooking it does something to it" to make it not hurt my stomach... ummm okay

A couple of weeks ago my grandma (knowing that I'm intolerant to dairy) pour cows milk into my coffee because ''You can't drink that, it's nearly black! That's not healthy!!'' It actually had rice milk in already. I had to tip the whole drink away

• stopit-ly and Cerina like this

Currently 62.6kg, 5'5.5'' tall
Follow my accountability here: https://www.myproana...e-take-control/

Previous Accountability (98 kg to 55 Kg) -  https://www.myproana...getarian/page-1

#1094 horror_girl

horror_girl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2753 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:14 PM

A support worker who rings me about something non-ED related tells me that planning my meals and preparing them ahead of time will help me with some structure to my day and relieve some of my anxieties. I haven't the courage to tell her that's probably the worst piece of advice she could give me lol but she's only a volunteer and she is really lovely so I just kind of ignore it lol. 

Right? Calorie counting/weighing/maths is the most stressful thing for me

Currently 62.6kg, 5'5.5'' tall
Follow my accountability here: https://www.myproana...e-take-control/

Previous Accountability (98 kg to 55 Kg) -  https://www.myproana...getarian/page-1

#1095 Spoopy_Cat

Spoopy_Cat

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:27 PM

Honestly I think the stupidest thing I see is people letting themselves get seriously obese and dont do anything about it. I am not being judgemental, or advocating an ED. I am talking about the people that are clearly unhealthily obese.
  • PinkRainbows, pastafreak and Abbey84 like this
Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity.

#1096 prettythin342

prettythin342

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:15 PM

Thinking that using a smaller plate for the same amount of food will help with weight loss. ( No, you'd have to portion it and still aim for a "balanced meal"

Or eating as much of whatever without any concerns for weight gain, and calories while gaining a lot of weight.

#1097 PixelCat

PixelCat

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 9101 posts
  • LocationHiding from Dr Now

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:39 PM

I was sooooo guilty of this for way too long :lol:
When you watch My 600lb Life with closed captions on...

6-CF9-BF0-E-B1-FC-4-F77-B8-CC-BC9-AD2976

My boring stats below. Probably haven’t been updated since the Jurassic period.
Spoiler

#1098 PixieFlies

PixieFlies

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMy Dissociating Mind

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:50 PM

That I chose to relapse and I chose to have body dysmorphia.

Also that processed meats are part of a low cal high protien diet and is healthy processed meats are disgusting and the worst thing to lose weight

• wanting-my-bones and aluminé like this

I know the voices in my head aren't real, but sometimes their ideas are absolutely AWESOME!

No GW or UGW

Just chasing that skinny dream with the voices in my head.

Diet Blog

Netflix and Starve

#1099 𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓼𝓲𝓪

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓼𝓲𝓪

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:07 AM

"you can’t eat carbs if you’re on a diet"
haha
  • Tealover1997, pastafreak, taquitoshawty and 2 others like this