Books which glamorise restriction? - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Books which glamorise restriction?

Glamorise Book

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 phoebewinterbottom

phoebewinterbottom

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:01 PM

I’m sorry! I know people hate books which glamorise EDs and restriction, but I find I’m really in the mood for one of these right now.

A lot of ED books show us the ugly side, and I really don’t want to see the ugly right now. I just want to live in my little bubble for a little while. Even if the book is just about restrictive eating and the high feeling from that. Maybe some sort of Hollywood/showbiz/NYC/rich crowd book?

I remember I felt Hannah’s character and her restrictive behaviours in the Pretty Little Liars books had felt glamorised to me. And same with Blair Waldorf’s character in the Gossip Girl books. These were very minor themes in the book but I still enjoyed it.

Please recommend something to me where restriction is glamorised and we’re not shown the ugly. Like I mentioned, maybe something about the fashion industry, showbiz, Hollywood, NYC, or upperclass/elite. It doesn’t exactly need to be about EDs. I want to read about “perfectionism.” Restriction and ED can just play a role in the bigger story. Thanks so much. Please don’t judge. I’m just in the mood.
  • Tryptamine and banana-delite like this
Height: 5’7
CW: 113
GW: 103
UGW: 96

#2 Carly_47

Carly_47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:56 AM

Hi. The only one I know thay kinda glamorizes a bit about restricting is Abzurdah, a book about a girl who is so obsessed with a guy that she stops eating so he would care about her. It's an autobiographic book which has its own movie although I didn't like it. The story shows the ugly side too but when I read it years ago I felt "inspired" to lose weight; she mentions pro-ana quotes and stuff related, I thought it was very interesting.
  • lavender*, phoebewinterbottom and bonesandbeans like this

#3 phoebewinterbottom

phoebewinterbottom

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1470 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:01 PM

Hi. The only one I know thay kinda glamorizes a bit about restricting is Abzurdah, a book about a girl who is so obsessed with a guy that she stops eating so he would care about her. It's an autobiographic book which has its own movie although I didn't like it. The story shows the ugly side too but when I read it years ago I felt "inspired" to lose weight; she mentions pro-ana quotes and stuff related, I thought it was very interesting.

Thanks so much for replying! I really appreciate it! I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. I accidentally unfollowed this topic.

This doesn’t exactly seem glamorised enough my sensibilities, but thanks again for the reply! I will definitely try it if I can’t find what I’m looking for. I’m thinking more Mean Girls or Devil Wears Prada style, where it goes hand in hand with overall unhealthy perfectionism and glamour. I know it’s kinda stupid, but finding this kind of theme in books has been on my mind for a while now. Thanks again.
  • Carly_47 likes this

#4 skinnyfrosting

skinnyfrosting

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationWashington, US

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:46 PM

Check out "I Was a Teenage Fairy" by Francesca Lia Block

• Porcelain Perfect likes this

30yo F, 5" 11"
HW: 231 lbs
CW: 218 lbs
LW: 158 lbs (2017)

Trying to get back down to 150ish so I can be happy again after being put on seroquel & lithium and 80lb weight gain.

Mandelbrot_sequence_new.gif

giphy.gif

#5 phoebewinterbottom

phoebewinterbottom

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1470 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:09 PM

Check out "I Was a Teenage Fairy" by Francesca Lia Block

Thanks for commenting! And thanks for the suggestion. I think I’m first going to start with Tiny Pretty Things about three ballet students, with one who has an eating disorder. Or Letting Ana Go which isn’t precisely what I’m looking for, but it should do.

Is I Was a Teenage Fairy a bit creepy?.. sounds like it from the blurb?

#6 skinnyfrosting

skinnyfrosting

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationWashington, US

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for commenting! And thanks for the suggestion. I think I’m first going to start with Tiny Pretty Things about three ballet students, with one who has an eating disorder. Or Letting Ana Go which isn’t precisely what I’m looking for, but it should do.

It's more of a dark, moody mix of fantasy and real life, not really scary. It's just a little weird - I think the surrealness is what creates the vibe.
  • phoebewinterbottom likes this

30yo F, 5" 11"
HW: 231 lbs
CW: 218 lbs
LW: 158 lbs (2017)

Trying to get back down to 150ish so I can be happy again after being put on seroquel & lithium and 80lb weight gain.

Mandelbrot_sequence_new.gif

giphy.gif

#7 thin.scars

thin.scars

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

Usually the books I read about ED's are from people who end up in recoveries and stuff. A few days ago I read Paper Weight by Meg Haston. Which was an amazing book. The main character gets in recovery but in the beginning she refuses so hard and like her thought are inspiring,I guess :). Sorry for not giving you exactly what you needed but like this is what I've got ‍♀
  • fatallyfantastic and phoebewinterbottom like this

#8 phoebewinterbottom

phoebewinterbottom

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1470 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:56 PM

Usually the books I read about ED's are from people who end up in recoveries and stuff. A few days ago I read Paper Weight by Meg Haston. Which was an amazing book. The main character gets in recovery but in the beginning she refuses so hard and like her thought are inspiring,I guess :). Sorry for not giving you exactly what you needed but like this is what I've got ‍♀

Haha no problem thanks :)

I actually starting reading Letting Ana Go and though it’s not recovery, it’s definitely not a glamorisation either and I’m really enjoying it so far. I’m reading it super slow to make it last.

Thanks for the recommendation I’ll def check it out.

#9 Anamia.

Anamia.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5585 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:04 PM

Not an ED book but if you read “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Brontë I SWEAR THE PROTAG LOWKEY HAS AN ED. Some of the shit she says lowkey is Ana Fairy level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • lavender* and phoebewinterbottom like this

Height: 5'55 

HW:200
SW:166
CW: been stuck in the 120s like

UGW: 90 

Maintenance Goal: Staying in the range of the 40kgs (90-105ish lbs). BMI 16 probs the sweet spot.

Accountability: https://www.myproana...tarving-artist/

Affirmations: 

I am worthy of abundance in my life. (Just not in regards to fat on my body okay I want that fat-free female figure.)
Opportunities are always attracted to me and I am always presented with them at the right time.
I am worthy of financial security and financial abundance.

Gave up recovery and the idea of recovering.

I'm not so naiive as to believe that reaching my UGW would be ultimate happiness,

but it is so much easier to be sad and underweight than it is to be fat and depressed.

#10 DistressedOrange

DistressedOrange

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3856 posts
  • LocationLaundering My Exit Bag

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:10 PM

Not an ED book but if you read “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Brontë I SWEAR THE PROTAG LOWKEY HAS AN ED. Some of the shit she says lowkey is Ana Fairy level.

Omg I remember reading it when I was like 12 and wanting to be like her lol. Reread it later and it is soo triggering. She's all good and pure because she's so thin and light. Ugh.
  • Anamia. and lovebunnyx like this

Accountability NEW taste LOW IN CALORIES 

https://www.myproana...es-whoop-whoop/

157cm/5'2" aka short but with long legs, proportionally

Trying to stay out of IP

CW: 34-35kg (BMI 13.8-14.2)

LW: BMI 11.6

main qimg ccff807404625ee45ceed597e49d9bb9

tumblr o577clWumO1urz3l2o1 400

giphy

Salad

Spoiler

#11 Anamia.

Anamia.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5585 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 07 March 2020 - 06:01 PM

Omg I remember reading it when I was like 12 and wanting to be like her lol. Reread it later and it is soo triggering. She's all good and pure because she's so thin and light. Ugh.

And fucking ROCHESTER being all like my lil’ skinny bby (not those words but basically same idea)

Maintenance Goal: Staying in the range of the 40kgs (90-105ish lbs). BMI 16 probs the sweet spot.

Affirmations: 

I am worthy of abundance in my life. (Just not in regards to fat on my body okay I want that fat-free female figure.)
Opportunities are always attracted to me and I am always presented with them at the right time.

I'm not so naiive as to believe that reaching my UGW would be ultimate happiness,

but it is so much easier to be sad and underweight than it is to be fat and depressed.

#12 DistressedOrange

DistressedOrange

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3856 posts
  • LocationLaundering My Exit Bag

Posted 08 March 2020 - 03:24 AM

And fucking ROCHESTER being all like my lil’ skinny bby (not those words but basically same idea)

Also, "fat people are terrible and gross!" John Reed is extra bad, not just because he's a bully but because he's described as overweight lmao. Even Mrs Reed was described as solid. Makes me think Charlotte Bronte had an ED. If you look at portraits of her she does look quite thin. At one point she was ill and had constant fainting and problems with indigestion. All the bronte sisters have signs of eating disorders in fact, which is pretty interesting. Seems like she was projecting.
  • Anamia. likes this

Accountability NEW taste LOW IN CALORIES 

https://www.myproana...es-whoop-whoop/

157cm/5'2" aka short but with long legs, proportionally

Trying to stay out of IP

CW: 34-35kg (BMI 13.8-14.2)

LW: BMI 11.6

main qimg ccff807404625ee45ceed597e49d9bb9

tumblr o577clWumO1urz3l2o1 400

giphy

Salad

Spoiler

#13 Anamia.

Anamia.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5585 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:37 AM

Also, "fat people are terrible and gross!" John Reed is extra bad, not just because he's a bully but because he's described as overweight lmao. Even Mrs Reed was described as solid. Makes me think Charlotte Bronte had an ED. If you look at portraits of her she does look quite thin. At one point she was ill and had constant fainting and problems with indigestion. All the bronte sisters have signs of eating disorders in fact, which is pretty interesting. Seems like she was projecting.

It makes me wonder if their father was a fat-shamer.

Affirmations: 

#14 lavender*

lavender*

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts
  • Location_______________ I got more and more to do and less and less to prove

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:11 AM

I literally lol’ed at this. Maybe I’ll re-read, haven’t read it since grade school, well before my ED started, and I don’t remember a thing.

• Anamia. likes this

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.

early-mid-2000s Lunchbox

#15 lavender*

lavender*

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts
  • Location_______________ I got more and more to do and less and less to prove

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:12 AM

Oh hell yeah Francisca Lia Block books are always creepy, it’s sort of her signature feeling lol... loved her as a teen.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.

early-mid-2000s Lunchbox

#16 Captain_Jade

Captain_Jade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:00 PM

This might just be my opinion, but I think Wintergirls REALLY romanticizes Anorexia. I mean, it’s not always pretty, but it often is.
  • luna-l0ve, phoebewinterbottom and StripedTrashPanda like this

#17 coco x

coco x

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1347 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:18 AM

Portia de Rossi’s book glamorizes it too. Twilight honestly does as well.... but you have to read between the lines. Honestly how many times have I just gotten a regular soda to eat because I needed to have cals but I was too scared to really eat food
  • lavender* and phoebewinterbottom like this
?????BMI 16.5?????

#18 coco x

coco x

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1347 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:22 AM

Sorry for the update but I posted this one my first account fourth million years ago it’s all about twilight and the Ed subtext https://www.myproana...s/?fromsearch=1
  • hungerpainz and phoebewinterbottom like this
?????BMI 16.5?????

#19 Really-Worried

Really-Worried

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 01:32 PM

The Best Little Girl In The World by Steven Levenkron and definitely Wintergirls. The first is about a ballet dancer who learns the secret to being strong and successful, and the second is about a troubled teen who "sees" things when her grandmother and best friend die, and starves herself as comfort.

5'3 // 160 cm

hw: 145 lbs

cw: 119.6 lbs

gw: 99 lbs

ugw: 85 lbs

#20 89vision

89vision

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:03 PM

hmmm I don't know if The Vegetarian glamorizes it necessarily (she is very ill) but the book is about her eating habits and mental state

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glamorise, Book

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users