Society has got out of hand with their weight. - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Society has got out of hand with their weight.

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#1 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:10 PM

POPULAR

Sometimes I find myself feeling weird for going out of my way to make sure I have healthy food around. 

I am constantly awestruck at the fact that people have absolutely no thought about the calorie content of any of their food.

I know that people would consider me the one with the mental problem here, but really???

It is more socially acceptable to scarf down an entire pizza to yourself than it is to eat an apple for lunch. 

I get more grief for bringing a salad from home than anyone else does for eating a large certainly exceeding 1500 calorie+ fast food lunch every day. 

Some people may say that I am on the opposite end of the extreme but honestly maybe if society was a bit more healthy and valued being at a healthy weight I wouldn't feel the need to be so obsessive about actually eating real foods. 

Does anyone else feel the same way? Like sure maybe having such a low BMI is a bit too much but when the people around you are at a BMI of 45+ nobody thinks its strange or even something appropriate to comment on. 

• Morgan le Fou, Uncommonlygooood, youcantbuythin and 82 others like this

#2 blondeintheback

blondeintheback

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationThe righteous side of Hell

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:44 PM

POPULAR

I absolutely agree with this. Restricting, binging, purging and other disordered and obsessive food behaviours are fucked, but this whole fat acceptance-related, I-should-eat-everything-and-anything-with-no-consequences mentality drives me nuts. The average person's lack of knowledge about basic nutrition and portion sizes is pretty shocking and honestly, pretty health-damaging too. I don't think everyone needs to count calories, but being aware of what's in your food, what you should and shouldn't eat on a regular basis, what feeling full but not overly full is, and what one portion size looks like is important, and in most people, this knowledge and awareness is severely lacking.

If you eat Mcdonald's daily, graze mindlessly on snacks throughout the rest of the day, and think a whole pizza is an appropriate portion size, yet judge me for eating a fucking salad with no dressing and a black coffee, you can politely fuck off in my opinion. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Morgan le Fou, Innerskinny, TangerineTea and 63 others like this

200.gif#4

#3 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

Things have just become so out of hand. Some places are overall healthier than others but right now I am stuck in the south. The "thin" person is most likely the odd one out and is made fun of and shamed for caring about not eating high caloric garbage processed food. No one even tries anymore to care about health. They unashamedly joke about their overweight and obese bodies and their eating habits. 

• Tryingtolosemyself, Minimonster, Tulipa and 25 others like this

#4 Darling Nikki

Darling Nikki

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationDante's 5th level of hell

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:18 PM

It is completely out of hand. My coworkers eat fast food daily and wonder why they can't lose weight. I was offered crackers yesterday by one of them; crackers were from Trader Joes so I considered it. Looking at the box 8 crackers were 130 calories! I politely declined and my coworker knew what I was doing so she immediately said "I don't want to know, don't ruin this for me". In the past I tried to inform her that the "health food" she had was not in fact healthy and she got pissed. I don't share anymore.

My boss tried and ate the entire serving of red lentil pasta with my homemade avocado sauce and said he liked it so that was nice.

The person I worry about the most though, is my husband. He eats crap all day everyday and turns down any healthy food I offer. His health problems are multiplying and its terrifying! He is already 12 years older than me but I feel like if he make it to 2030 it will be a miracle.

• TangerineTea, PrettyLilKitty, blondeintheback and 14 others like this

5'6"

110 - 115 lbs GW

105 lbs UGW

Accountability: https://www.myproana.../#entry71855921

#5 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:27 AM

I am sorry to hear about your husband. It seems like loved ones are sometimes to hardest to convince. I am not sure what to recommend but I am sure there are ideas out there about how to help them from the inside out choose to change. I know it has to be a personal choice for it to stick long term. I know how difficult it is to live in a world where you are surrounded by all of these calorie dense delicious foods that are bombarding you all of the time through advertisements. Honestly its cruel how accessible and promoted all the worst foods are for you. When is the last time you have seen an advertisement for an apple or for some green beans??? Remind him how much he means to you and that you can't live without him <3 

• Szikkia, Uncommonlygooood, Minimonster and 7 others like this

#6 Guest_FindMeAgain_*

Guest_FindMeAgain_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:18 AM

This is so fucking true!!!! 

• aneles, JManskald and LostInTranslation13 like this

#7 Guest_amiletoowide_*

Guest_amiletoowide_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:45 PM

Things have just become so out of hand. Some places are overall healthier than others but right now I am stuck in the south. The "thin" person is most likely the odd one out and is made fun of and shamed for caring about not eating high caloric garbage processed food. No one even tries anymore to care about health. They unashamedly joke about their overweight and obese bodies and their eating habits. 

My friends can be very rude about this. Whenever we go out to eat they always joke around about how picky I am or say how 'perfect' I am because I only eat healthy. I know that they are mostly joking but it still hurts because I also know they do kinda mean it. They act like I think I am too good for them because I eat healthy! Sorry that I won't die when I'm 40 because of the awful junk food diet that you all are on like jeez.

• aneles, xxdietcherrycolaxx, guesswhatsback and 5 others like this

#8 99lbs

99lbs

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationFrance (was UK)

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:50 PM

100% agree with this thread.

Society has normalised eating crap. Made it acceptable. Everyone is doing it.

Walk into the lunch break room with a large McDonald's meal, McFlurry ice cream and a milkshake (circa 1,000 Kcals?) nobody bats an eye. Walk in with quinoa, brown rice, fish and vegetables and people freak the duck out.

• Morgan le Fou, 8Billion, Sabitsuki and 25 others like this

Orthorexic | Twitter | MPP

#9 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

Socially we are in a weird place where people are expecting you to make the unhealthy choice as the norm. It is strange that everyone wants you to eat the junk food and embrace the health problems and weight gain just like them. It reminds me of when you are in a situation with people who all smoke cigarettes and then they pass you one and you say no thanks and somehow you are the one that everyone judges and they act like you are trying to prove you are better than them. No we are not trying to be better than you, we don't want you eating junk either. We want you to be health and live a long happy life as well. This is why so many people who eat well are afraid to eat out or eat in public, we are not welcome. 

• Morgan le Fou, JacksApple, HowAreYouToday and 18 others like this

#10 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

100% agree with this thread.

Society has normalised eating crap. Made it acceptable. Everyone is doing it.

Walk into the lunch break room with a large McDonald's meal, McFlurry ice cream and a milkshake (circa 1,000 Kcals?) nobody bats an eye. Walk in with quinoa, brown rice, fish and vegetables and people freak the duck out.

Seriously. You are telling the truth. It has become so out of the ordinary to have a few whole food items made in to a home made meal that is an everyday thing and not just because someone is on some strange fad diet that they will drop next week but an actual lifestyle of eating real foods. 

The amount of times that I have been looked at strange for taking a banana out of my bag and eating it is unbearable. y'all its a banana, totally natural! don't flip your lid like I'm some weird monkey. 

• A J, HowAreYouToday, JManskald and 12 others like this

#11 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:52 PM

My friends can be very rude about this. Whenever we go out to eat they always joke around about how picky I am or say how 'perfect' I am because I only eat healthy. I know that they are mostly joking but it still hurts because I also know they do kinda mean it. They act like I think I am too good for them because I eat healthy! Sorry that I won't die when I'm 40 because of the awful junk food diet that you all are on like jeez.

Its sad when the people you love are the ones who are judging you. I totally get how out of place it is to order something healthy and how they think its so strange :/ Garbage food is all around and it is easier for people to give in and embrace it than to take time to think about the long term effects of eating something. Maybe slowly they will see that it is good for you to eat the healthy option and might ask you for advice down the road <3 

• Sleepyeyesicyheart, collarbonedreamer, Hanna94 and 1 other like this

#12 Abbey84

Abbey84

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:13 AM

This is so true! It's like if you don't join them eating pizza you're a social pariah (and why is pizza such a wonderful food? I don't even like it, it's not that great) if you order a salad. I mean wtf is so wrong it's only food! Get over it!! I'm not over here telling you to eat salad ffs carry on destroying yourself get fatter for all I care.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  • HowAreYouToday, JManskald, Sleepyeyesicyheart and 4 others like this

#13 aneles

aneles

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

You should sit them down and explain to them how it hurts you. when people think you are stuck up for doing whats best for yourself, THEY are the problem. it means they secretly are insecure about the way they take care of themselves and want you to feel insecure too. thats honestly messed up IMO.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk
  • JManskald, Sleepyeyesicyheart, LostInTranslation13 and 2 others like this

let me stay sad please because when i am happy i eat too much

#14 JManskald

JManskald

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC, USA

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

I absolutely agree with this. Restricting, binging, purging and other disordered and obsessive food behaviours are fucked, but this whole fat acceptance-related, I-should-eat-everything-and-anything-with-no-consequences mentality drives me nuts. The average person's lack of knowledge about basic nutrition and portion sizes is pretty shocking and honestly, pretty health-damaging too. I don't think everyone needs to count calories, but being aware of what's in your food, what you should and shouldn't eat on a regular basis, what feeling full but not overly full is, and what one portion size looks like is important, and in most people, this knowledge and awareness is severely lacking.

If you eat Mcdonald's daily, graze mindlessly on snacks throughout the rest of the day, and think a whole pizza is an appropriate portion size, yet judge me for eating a fucking salad with no dressing and a black coffee, you can politely fuck off in my opinion. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I’m reminded of the hate Jillian Michaels got for noting that society shouldn’t celebrate morbid obesity when they praise Lizzo, they should celebrate her music instead. She got so much criticism and harsh commentary from the press and the public. Now Michaels probably could’ve done a better job communicating her ideas, but the basic critique was that morbid obesity (mind you, not simply being overweight) has negative health consequences, and we shouldn’t praise someone for having health issues. Granted Lizzo can go on long tours and dance with great endurance, but that’s not going to last forever. Sumo wrestlers are great athletes but live short lives. I’m concerned that body positivity is morphing into an “eat all you can and what you want” mentality. It’s a pet peeve of mine tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Morgan le Fou, AmalBeauty, thelostkitten and 16 others like this

Height: 5'6" CW: 114.6lbs (1/7/20) SW: 148 lbs LW: 106.8 lbs GW: 95 lbs

#15 ALovelyDaydream

ALovelyDaydream

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

I agree with all of this. I’m the concern and am unusual because I each mostly fruit and vegetables and am thinner than most. Meanwhile I’ve found vintage size 6 (I’m a size 4) that fit snug on me. We’ve gotten so much bigger that we’re use to it. A rib showing is concerning to friends and family but I think it should be the norm. Same as how when we stop being able to see my dogs rib cage we put him on a diet because he’s getting to heavy.
Even with the bmi scale, the healthy range is so large. It may be my ortho talking but I feel far more mobile, flexible efficient and easy at bmi 19 to bmi 21. I can’t imagine being bmi 24 and still being considered healthy. I would be sluggish at that weight.
Weight aside, this constant spiking of people blood sugar with crap, the constant mindless grazing with zero consideration for where that food is from, poisoning of the everyones gut bacteria no wonder we’re all so sick and depressed.
  • Morgan le Fou, Uncommonlygooood, thelostkitten and 11 others like this

Prioritise your mental health

Currently ~53kg (too scared to weight in)

GW1: 50kg (BMI 18.6) = New Tattoo

GW2: 48kg (BMI 17.8) = New Perfume

GW3: 46kg (BMI 17.1) = Something Designer

UGW: 44kg (BMI 16.4)

Anxiety, Orthorexia, ADHD, Rumination

giphy.gif

#16 ALovelyDaydream

ALovelyDaydream

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

I’m reminded of the hate Jillian Michaels got for noting that society shouldn’t celebrate morbid obesity when they praise Lizzo, they should celebrate her music instead. She got so much criticism and harsh commentary from the press and the public. Now Michaels probably could’ve done a better job communicating her ideas, but the basic critique was that morbid obesity (mind you, not simply being overweight) has negative health consequences, and we shouldn’t praise someone for having health issues. Granted Lizzo can go on long tours and dance with great endurance, but that’s not going to last forever. Sumo wrestlers are great athletes but live short lives. I’m concerned that body positivity is morphing into an “eat all you can and what you want” mentality. It’s a pet peeve of mine tbh.

Even sumos are smaller than a lot of the obese west. They were considered very unique outsiders, crafting and training their bodies for a certain skill, like any athlete. Now there are regular Japanese citizens meeting and surpassing their weight for no reason. It’s ridiculous.
  • Morgan le Fou, blurry., HowAreYouToday and 5 others like this

Prioritise your mental health

Currently ~53kg (too scared to weight in)

GW1: 50kg (BMI 18.6) = New Tattoo

GW2: 48kg (BMI 17.8) = New Perfume

GW3: 46kg (BMI 17.1) = Something Designer

UGW: 44kg (BMI 16.4)

Anxiety, Orthorexia, ADHD, Rumination

giphy.gif

#17 musicalfailure

musicalfailure

Anorexia in the Key of B/P Major

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15386 posts
  • LocationAs far away from paradise as you can possibly be..

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:40 AM

That's the thing, it's balance, and most people these days just don't seem to have it. I want to say that I do wonder if it's a genes thing, I've heard some very overweight people say they genuinely never feel full or know when to stop eating - and all I can contribute is, at least the few times in my life recently where I have eaten consistently to try and be a bit healthier than my ED, I have had no trouble sticking to hunger and fullness cues (with a bit of practice) because they are there for me and built in mentally.

But having said that, why is it then that obesity only seems to be a major issue in some select countries where food is not really a cultural value or expectation? The US being the main culprit, but also from my own eyes I've seen that the UK is getting worse too. We don't have a food culture in the same way that countries like France, Italy or Spain do. I lived in France most of last year and it kind of shocked me when I came back to Britland and felt like I was seeing such a huge increase in obesity than I remembered.

We've just got to help people truly appreciate that their food has immense value and teach them how to savour it, then maybe they won't be so quick to just shove it in their mouth without a second thought

• Morgan le Fou, A J, HowAreYouToday and 6 others like this
Love you mpa, thanks for everything ♡

#18 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:42 PM

This is so true! It's like if you don't join them eating pizza you're a social pariah (and why is pizza such a wonderful food? I don't even like it, it's not that great) if you order a salad. I mean wtf is so wrong it's only food! Get over it!! I'm not over here telling you to eat salad ffs carry on destroying yourself get fatter for all I care.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

People have honestly been offended when I have said no thank you to pizza. My co-workers will randomly order like 4 pizzas and if I don't want any they get confused and offended as if they have spent money on me and then I say no, but they never even ask if I want pizza ordered in the first place. I have been judged so hard for eating only 1 slice of cheese pizza and leaving the crust behind. Meanwhile other people are eating 3 and 4 slices of meat lovers pizza soaked in ranch dressing acting like they are an example of the correct way to eat pizza. 

• HowAreYouToday, JManskald, Sleepyeyesicyheart and 3 others like this

#19 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:45 PM

More and more people are praising people with obese bodies. They are turning being morbidly overweight into something you should praise. Like Tess Holiday. There are so many other reasons to have someone as a role model instead of them being proud to eat a whole cake or pizza to themselves. I think people should love themselves and I'm sure it makes them feel more welcome in society to see obese celebrities, but there are reasons why obesity was not popular in the past and it has to do with risks of death and health complications. 

• JManskald, Sleepyeyesicyheart, ♥lacuna♥ and 2 others like this

#20 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

I agree with all of this. I’m the concern and am unusual because I each mostly fruit and vegetables and am thinner than most. Meanwhile I’ve found vintage size 6 (I’m a size 4) that fit snug on me. We’ve gotten so much bigger that we’re use to it. A rib showing is concerning to friends and family but I think it should be the norm. Same as how when we stop being able to see my dogs rib cage we put him on a diet because he’s getting to heavy.
Even with the bmi scale, the healthy range is so large. It may be my ortho talking but I feel far more mobile, flexible efficient and easy at bmi 19 to bmi 21. I can’t imagine being bmi 24 and still being considered healthy. I would be sluggish at that weight.
Weight aside, this constant spiking of people blood sugar with crap, the constant mindless grazing with zero consideration for where that food is from, poisoning of the everyones gut bacteria no wonder we’re all so sick and depressed.

The sizing of clothing has definitely changed! Its crazy what they call a small and medium now. People love to hate on the BMI chart but honestly I don't understand why everyone is not striving to been at the lower end of the healthy range. Mindless eating is out of control! People don't ever think about calories and that is insane to me!!! 

• JManskald, Sleepyeyesicyheart, meadowfairy and 5 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users