Society has got out of hand with their weight. - Page 2 - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Society has got out of hand with their weight.

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#21 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:53 PM

That's the thing, it's balance, and most people these days just don't seem to have it. I want to say that I do wonder if it's a genes thing, I've heard some very overweight people say they genuinely never feel full or know when to stop eating - and all I can contribute is, at least the few times in my life recently where I have eaten consistently to try and be a bit healthier than my ED, I have had no trouble sticking to hunger and fullness cues (with a bit of practice) because they are there for me and built in mentally.

But having said that, why is it then that obesity only seems to be a major issue in some select countries where food is not really a cultural value or expectation? The US being the main culprit, but also from my own eyes I've seen that the UK is getting worse too. We don't have a food culture in the same way that countries like France, Italy or Spain do. I lived in France most of last year and it kind of shocked me when I came back to Britland and felt like I was seeing such a huge increase in obesity than I remembered.

We've just got to help people truly appreciate that their food has immense value and teach them how to savour it, then maybe they won't be so quick to just shove it in their mouth without a second thought

I know when I was growing up it was unacceptable to be a picky eater. I like vegetables, but my parents always made sure I cleared my plate and that if I was at a friends house or if someone offered me some food that it was polite to say thank you and eat it. Now a days I see that people all around me don't think about the quality or the taste of foods, they just shove them in their pie hole, swallow, and repeat. I think that it is good to be picky and say honestly if something isn't that good maybe you set it down and don't finish it just because. I know its very privileged to be turning down food, but if you are able to and it is not helping you to be eating garbage that doesn't even taste that good then you should raise your standards and not eat just anything that even resembles food. 

• thelostkitten, JManskald, Sleepyeyesicyheart and 8 others like this

#22 rcanina

rcanina

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:14 AM

calorie content is a fairly recent advance
  • Depression blue and LostInTranslation13 like this

#23 redxwrist

redxwrist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:59 AM

OMG EXACTLY ! I get so pissed off that when I go to a shop they only have unhealthy high fat options (this might be my ED talking) BUT OMG I CANT BUY ANYTHING THATS LOW FAT. Meal-deals are the worst and ready-to-go fruit is too expensive.

Im a vegetarian and they only ever make the veggie option out of cheese and thats so fattening. Plus my stomach hates dairy !

Do you guys think I should go pescatarian because the tuna options usually are low-cal high-protien?

• youcantbuythin, Sleepyeyesicyheart, LostInTranslation13 and 1 other like this

#24 tahiniii

tahiniii

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:28 PM

My roomies and I have a group chat and one of them sent a screenshot of a drink made with grapefruit juice, lemon juice and ACV and said she was going to lose weight by drinking it. (They are all out of hand with their weight)

If she wants to lose weight I would support her and I want her to be successful and safe, so I replied and said "my mom" was on a calorie counting diet where she cut 10% of her maintenance from her calories and she lost weight doing that. (Which is partially true because she has but really I was trying to hide that it was me)

One of the other roommates replied and said "diet has the word die in it" and "I like calories I eat them all"

Is this what people think is funny?

• HowAreYouToday, Sleepyeyesicyheart, meadowfairy and 7 others like this

#25 pickles312

pickles312

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3618 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:01 AM

Before I read anything, any posts, please give yourself permission to eat healthy and nourish your body! Your are not a follower. You are thinking for yourself! I’ve done this and it’s so hard! It’s like peer pressure! There’s all this fat shaming talk. But what about healthy shaming!? Do not let anyone bother you with this. Don’t put them down. Just bring your food and control your life.
  • meadowfairy, LostInTranslation13 and flickerbeat like this

#26 pickles312

pickles312

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3618 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:07 AM

OMG EXACTLY ! I get so pissed off that when I go to a shop they only have unhealthy high fat options (this might be my ED talking) BUT OMG I CANT BUY ANYTHING THATS LOW FAT. Meal-deals are the worst and ready-to-go fruit is too expensive.

Im a vegetarian and they only ever make the veggie option out of cheese and thats so fattening. Plus my stomach hates dairy !

Do you guys think I should go pescatarian because the tuna options usually are low-cal high-protien?

Probably. The veg options in most places are not very fair. I mean they don’t try or care at all (although it’s nice that they have it, it’s not prepared with care and it’s a rip off). I would get a salad and a small piece of fish and a huge side of steamed veg. Idk, I’m just talking. It depends on the situation.
  • BabyCow and LostInTranslation13 like this

#27 DieselEstate

DieselEstate

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:42 PM

I have not read all the posts here but, I must state that I believe the whole 'Body Positive' (BP) movement of recent years, is a shameful scam. I have not investigated it thoroughly (though I will) yet, I honestly think BP has links to the types of fast food industry and the major multi-national conglomerates concerned with Agribusiness, which have increased their presence and influence over the last 45 years or so. Especially dairy.
The timing of the emergence of the BP movement is just plain suspect. Just when the Internet revolutionised the accessible availability of quality information, here comes a load of people espousing head-in-the-sand 18th century attitudes on the subject of being grossly overweight? Some branches of the press downplay BP as a backlash related to what is seen as Health Fascism. Oh, really? If so, why did it take almost a century for BP to emerge? As far as I can tell, society had begun to be health and fitness oriented from the beginning of the 1920's at least. Genuine groundswell, grassroots backlashes usually happen not too long after the initial opposing event/s. Yet, health and fitness only grew increasingly during the 20th century, into what we see today.
I am revolted by fat people pictured in the media, protesting in support of their greedy lifestyles. Please let us remember that hunger on our planet is not a problem of food production paucity, as much as it is a problem of food distribution disparity.
I am annoyed at the numbers of fat parents I see in supermarkets with trolleys laden to overflowing with industrial sized quantities of over-processed, over-packaged, refined fats, sugars and fizzy coloured drinks. I despair for their little chubby children waddling about after them. Processed, refined sugars are the true Gateway Drug. Long before tobacco or cannabis/marijuana, refined sugars predispose children to seek addictive substances. It takes a lot of education, effort and discipline to break the cycle of these learned negative behaviours. Also, I am only too aware that it is a hidden health risk for those who consume such diets, who are blessed with naturally high metabolism. Believing they are getting away with it, they are the unhealthy thin.
My paramount concern is that of ecological sustainability. The chemical industry surrounding the production of these 'foods' is costing us the Earth. Look at the waste slurry left over at the end of the Coca-Cola process. In India, Coca-Cola duped illiterate local farmers into spreading the slurry on fallow fields for insultingly low remuneration. Those farmers are left with redundant fields they cannot bring back into rotation. Such are the levels of toxicity.
The waste of energy and resources attendant with hyper-consuming lifestyles is just appalling. What price a Planet Tax, levied on the aforementioned foods, channelled back into local ecology projects for areas directly affected by over-production? Put down the forks. Step away from the plates. Get out of cars and onto bicycles. We can all help by doing our bit to nursing our planet back to health. Some more than others.
  • Tryingtolosemyself, A J, st0p and 14 others like this

#28 DieselEstate

DieselEstate

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

I know when I was growing up it was unacceptable to be a picky eater. I like vegetables, but my parents always made sure I cleared my plate and that if I was at a friends house or if someone offered me some food that it was polite to say thank you and eat it. Now a days I see that people all around me don't think about the quality or the taste of foods, they just shove them in their pie hole, swallow, and repeat. I think that it is good to be picky and say honestly if something isn't that good maybe you set it down and don't finish it just because. I know its very privileged to be turning down food, but if you are able to and it is not helping you to be eating garbage that doesn't even taste that good then you should raise your standards and not eat just anything that even resembles food.

#29 DieselEstate

DieselEstate

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:04 PM

Sorry to contradict you but you are lucky that you have personally developed a discipline towards limiting your consumption of food. Quality scientific study and research with empirical evidence as a result, has shown that childhood obesity is disproportionately triggered by adults forcing children to clear their plates. The general advice is to place smaller amounts of food onto smaller plates. Eat until full, whilst having water to drink plus, extra available water and preferably, eating at the table with family and/or friends. These provide for the healthiest of outcomes because we are essentially social animals who take and instil cues from each other. For children, being made to clear their plates is negative reinforcing behaviour, which makes them eat past their natural levels of satiety. Over time it leads to adults who never feel full. Scientists have also discovered a genetic proponent to satiety, too. So once more, we arrive back at Nature vs. Nurture to find that for humans, it is a bit of both.
  • ifoundDory, blondeintheback, HowAreYouToday and 7 others like this

#30 Abbey84

Abbey84

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1333 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:03 AM

I have not read all the posts here but, I must state that I believe the whole 'Body Positive' (BP) movement of recent years, is a shameful scam. I have not investigated it thoroughly (though I will) yet, I honestly think BP has links to the types of fast food industry and the major multi-national conglomerates concerned with Agribusiness, which have increased their presence and influence over the last 45 years or so. Especially dairy.
The timing of the emergence of the BP movement is just plain suspect. Just when the Internet revolutionised the accessible availability of quality information, here comes a load of people espousing head-in-the-sand 18th century attitudes on the subject of being grossly overweight? Some branches of the press downplay BP as a backlash related to what is seen as Health Fascism. Oh, really? If so, why did it take almost a century for BP to emerge? As far as I can tell, society had begun to be health and fitness oriented from the beginning of the 1920's at least. Genuine groundswell, grassroots backlashes usually happen not too long after the initial opposing event/s. Yet, health and fitness only grew increasingly during the 20th century, into what we see today.
I am revolted by fat people pictured in the media, protesting in support of their greedy lifestyles. Please let us remember that hunger on our planet is not a problem of food production paucity, as much as it is a problem of food distribution disparity.
I am annoyed at the numbers of fat parents I see in supermarkets with trolleys laden to overflowing with industrial sized quantities of over-processed, over-packaged, refined fats, sugars and fizzy coloured drinks. I despair for their little chubby children waddling about after them. Processed, refined sugars are the true Gateway Drug. Long before tobacco or cannabis/marijuana, refined sugars predispose children to seek addictive substances. It takes a lot of education, effort and discipline to break the cycle of these learned negative behaviours. Also, I am only too aware that it is a hidden health risk for those who consume such diets, who are blessed with naturally high metabolism. Believing they are getting away with it, they are the unhealthy thin.
My paramount concern is that of ecological sustainability. The chemical industry surrounding the production of these 'foods' is costing us the Earth. Look at the waste slurry left over at the end of the Coca-Cola process. In India, Coca-Cola duped illiterate local farmers into spreading the slurry on fallow fields for insultingly low remuneration. Those farmers are left with redundant fields they cannot bring back into rotation. Such are the levels of toxicity.
The waste of energy and resources attendant with hyper-consuming lifestyles is just appalling. What price a Planet Tax, levied on the aforementioned foods, channelled back into local ecology projects for areas directly affected by over-production? Put down the forks. Step away from the plates. Get out of cars and onto bicycles. We can all help by doing our bit to nursing our planet back to health. Some more than others.

Oh thank you so much this is exactly what I wanted to say but you've put it much better than I could!

And yes, no one wants to address the fact that a larger number of obese people vastly over consuming food has a scandalous effect on our planet. I've been saying this a long time and no one wants to hear it.

The "body positive" movement is also a contradiction in terms. Unless you're obese you're most definitely excluded - they should just call it "fat positive" and be done with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  • blondeintheback, Sleepyeyesicyheart, CConfused and 3 others like this
CW 80lbs bmi 16.2 gw 78lbs

#31 JustRelapse

JustRelapse

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

"I love seeing ads with REAL women on them"
...because if you're not morbidly obese now, you're apparently not a woman. Coo
  • youcantbuythin, FatalNightmare, Tryingtolosemyself and 17 others like this

My accountability thread: Here

#32 metis

metis

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:20 PM

i'm always shocked about how people can care so little about what they're putting in their bodies. people who eat sugar/corn syrup, junk, fast food all day just.. shock me. i used to be one of those people and looking back, it's like.. HOW? it's so so bad for you and people just.. don't care?

there's nothing wrong with eating some chips or cookies or milkshakes or a fast food burger sometimes (like once a week or less), treating yourself is okay, but i just don't understand people who do it daily.

i guess i have somewhat of an obsession with making sure what i'm eating is somewhat healthy and nutritious so idk.

• HowAreYouToday, Sleepyeyesicyheart, meadowfairy and 6 others like this

height: 5'0 | cw: can't weigh probably around 102

no gw because i'm just going with the flow of 0 appetite and 0 desire to consume food and malnutrition destroying my body

#33 LostInTranslation13

LostInTranslation13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

Sorry to contradict you but you are lucky that you have personally developed a discipline towards limiting your consumption of food. Quality scientific study and research with empirical evidence as a result, has shown that childhood obesity is disproportionately triggered by adults forcing children to clear their plates. The general advice is to place smaller amounts of food onto smaller plates. Eat until full, whilst having water to drink plus, extra available water and preferably, eating at the table with family and/or friends. These provide for the healthiest of outcomes because we are essentially social animals who take and instil cues from each other. For children, being made to clear their plates is negative reinforcing behaviour, which makes them eat past their natural levels of satiety. Over time it leads to adults who never feel full. Scientists have also discovered a genetic proponent to satiety, too. So once more, we arrive back at Nature vs. Nurture to find that for humans, it is a bit of both.

"luck" has nothing to do with personally developing the discipline of limiting food consumption. I was raised being taught bad habits. I had to make the personal decision to change and learn and be different. This is not "luck" and I am not "lucky". You are negating all of the hard work and time I have put in to changing my life. 

• auttie, CocoaPebbles, JustRelapse and 8 others like this

#34 JustRelapse

JustRelapse

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:47 PM

"luck" has nothing to do with personally developing the discipline of limiting food consumption. I was raised being taught bad habits. I had to make the personal decision to change and learn and be different. This is not "luck" and I am not "lucky". You are negating all of the hard work and time I have put in to changing my life.

Felt this in my soul. Good job. Your hard work is valid.
  • thelostkitten, meadowfairy and LostInTranslation13 like this

My accountability thread: Here

#35 journeyerr

journeyerr

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:49 PM

i think we all secretly hate ourselves

obese people who judge me for living on coffee may talk about body acceptance but secretly they wish they could fit into my clothes

those of us who are small but battle the binge monster judge people who overeat because secretly we know how easy it is to give in to the urge and let ourselves go

we are all just self-hating

am currently in a binge phase and i notice myself judging my fat coworkers and the women who eat cake and cookies in our break room so much harder than i would during a restriction phase.

• exul, Tulipa, HowAreYouToday and 10 others like this

#36 collarbonedreamer

collarbonedreamer

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:28 PM

I am so on board with this.  How dare you openly comment about my weight and focus on eating real food like it's negative when you are the one eating yourself to death.  I don't want to joke about your potential cause of death as "a little extra weight."  If I were to say anything about it, I would never be forgiven.  But try to eat healthy in public or have a reasonable BMI --  Oh my, better get her some medical care!

• Sleepyeyesicyheart, BoneDancer, Abbey84 and 3 others like this

Vegan for the animals, vegan for my body, vegan for the planet. But mostly for the animals.

Height: 5'1" 

CW: 103.6lbs BMI 19.6

GW1: 100lbs UGW: 95 BMI 17.9 

~ When she dreams she sees her bones ~

:mellow:108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 :D

#37 Fatcat1971

Fatcat1971

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2744 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:53 PM

Three of my work team of six people are obese and diabetic with high blood pressure. Two of them are in their early forties, one is 53. One of my coworkers and I have anorexia diagnoses.One is, as far as I can tell, normal. Did I mention that we are social workers?!
  • FatalNightmare, Sleepyeyesicyheart, meadowfairy and 3 others like this

#38 glyxblood

glyxblood

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

i think we all secretly hate ourselves

obese people who judge me for living on coffee may talk about body acceptance but secretly they wish they could fit into my clothes

those of us who are small but battle the binge monster judge people who overeat because secretly we know how easy it is to give in to the urge and let ourselves go

I want to add the urge that we want to have that cake, too. (Well, at least I do, lol.)

I think that many fatter people are kind of jealous that they can't fit into tiny clothes. However, I also bet a lot of thin people are kind of jealous that they can't have that cake and eat it.

• meadowfairy, collarbonedreamer, Depression blue and 4 others like this

#39 glyxblood

glyxblood

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

Did I mention that we are social workers?!

From my experience disordered eating and weight issues run rampant in the social and medical field.

• ifoundDory, HowAreYouToday, meadowfairy and 2 others like this

#40 flickerbeat

flickerbeat

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2882 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 10:56 PM

Sometimes I find myself feeling weird for going out of my way to make sure I have healthy food around. 

I am constantly awestruck at the fact that people have absolutely no thought about the calorie content of any of their food.

I know that people would consider me the one with the mental problem here, but really???

It is more socially acceptable to scarf down an entire pizza to yourself than it is to eat an apple for lunch. 

I get more grief for bringing a salad from home than anyone else does for eating a large certainly exceeding 1500 calorie+ fast food lunch every day. 

Some people may say that I am on the opposite end of the extreme but honestly maybe if society was a bit more healthy and valued being at a healthy weight I wouldn't feel the need to be so obsessive about actually eating real foods. 

Does anyone else feel the same way? Like sure maybe having such a low BMI is a bit too much but when the people around you are at a BMI of 45+ nobody thinks its strange or even something appropriate to comment on. 

c'mon MPA, I had to run out of likes now ??

• Thinwaist-expensivetaste, ♥lacuna♥, Depression blue and 1 other like this

Stats:

Spoiler

nonbinary [they/them]

come make fun of me here

I've AWOLed to My Pancake Addiction

B) i'm different from all the other snowflakes, i swear B) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users