Society has got out of hand with their weight. - Page 3 - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Society has got out of hand with their weight.

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#41 sweet_potatoes

sweet_potatoes

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Locationplanet saturn

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:52 PM

i totally agree. it really annoys me that in order to not be an outcast in society, you have to have unhealthy habits. and i'm not just talking about with food, i'm talking about things like social media and sleeping and stuff. if you don't spend much time on your phone, if you go to bed fairly early every night, and if you eat nourishing whole foods, you're labeled as weird or a loser. shit pisses me off. i fucking hate the feeling of being a lonely pathetic outcast and i just want friends. but i also hate the feeling after eating large unhealthy meals, and the feeling of only getting 3 hours of sleep, and the feeling of spending 4 hours in a row on my phone. society is getting pretty fucked.

• Butt-head, HowAreYouToday, Shinji Ikari and 6 others like this

bruh

43574c4ee2f97f034437710ced56034a.gif

#42 Living2Thin

Living2Thin

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:33 PM

I completely understand bc I’m from the south as well. Surrounded by so much yummy but horrifying to imagine to put in my body. I mean come on who doesn’t like real southern sweet tea & not gross unsweetened, pass the water🤦‍♀️ Now with this C Virus u can’t get anything remotely safe to eat. Have y’all found anything or any ideas for groceries. Got toilet paper 😉. Much love & tia.

Things have just become so out of hand. Some places are overall healthier than others but right now I am stuck in the south. The "thin" person is most likely the odd one out and is made fun of and shamed for caring about not eating high caloric garbage processed food. No one even tries anymore to care about health. They unashamedly joke about their overweight and obese bodies and their eating habits.

#43 sweetsquash

sweetsquash

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:47 AM

I live in the south too! Yes, what's seen as "normal" here is overweight. What's seen as "a bit chubby" is obese. It's so accepted, so normalized, that seeing actually healthy proportionate bodies out and about in daily life is few and far between. Portion sizes are big enough to feed four rather than one and the limitless sugary drinks aren't helping anyone either. It's completely absurd.

I know the body obsessions in countries like Korea and Japan aren't healthy either, but I honestly believe the health of the country over all is better as a result of their praise towards thin bodies. 

• next phase, fraymagic, HowAreYouToday and 3 others like this

#44 iamacarrot

iamacarrot

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

I work at a grocery and you'd be surprised the shit that people buy every week; even most of the thinner people get soda and several high cal/sugar/fat foods. From what I've seen, only like 1 out of 5 people actually buy fresh fruit/vegetables weekly.
  • CamLeon, HowAreYouToday and zonosaur like this

#45 Iced Macchiato

Iced Macchiato

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2246 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:47 AM

I honestly kinda enjoy it because I know most of the shit I get for eating healthy is others projecting their insecurities on me. I just walk around feeling superior to the haters with my yummy healthy food lol.

I don’t judge others for what they eat tho. I let people eat what they wanna eat without judgement as long as they don’t judge me for eating what I wanna eat.
  • next phase and HowAreYouToday like this

#46 Lolapop

Lolapop

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:34 PM

I totally agree. I don't know how some people can eat so much knowing there are millions living on less than a dollar a day. Also, the amount of money society loses to provide healthcare for those who are obese and develop heart conditions is outrageous.

• Now and Abbey84 like this

#47 Lolapop

Lolapop

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:35 PM

Also, I don't get how it's ok to shame people for smoking and not for consuming or giving their children so much junk

• HowAreYouToday, Shinji Ikari, Depression blue and 1 other like this

#48 8Billion

8Billion

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1403 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:43 AM

I just purchased a pair of jeans from Guess. 10 years ago when I was purchasing their size 24 it was actually a size 24. NOW when i purchase a 24 its actually a 25-26. WTF! 

• CamLeon, INOGirl, NLP and 1 other like this
"Set your mind on a definite goal and observe how quickly the world stands aside to let you pass"

#49 AngryOtter

AngryOtter

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

We have an abundance of calorie dense foods designed by scientists and extremely market tested for flavor. These calorie dense foods are everywhere! Not just fast food stops but in impulse buy areas at non-food stores.

We all deserve permission to eat nourishing healthy foods and treats but it’s also key to remember that massive global corporations aren’t selling an addictive product are acting in our best interests. That’s the line where I really disagree with the HAES/Intuitive Eating mindset. It’s one thing to deny yourself a slice of homemade pie with loved ones baked from grandma’s special recipe because you’re afraid of calories, it’s another thing to grab the king size snicker after a Starbucks milkshake drink every single day because of an uncritical “treat yourself!” mindset.
  • made of stones, mirrikitty, next phase and 8 others like this

#50 sweet_potatoes

sweet_potatoes

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Locationplanet saturn

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:08 PM

yeah i hate how people judge you for eating healthy, even though i'm not judging them for eating unhealthy???

• CamLeon, zonosaur and hes/simple/hes/dumb like this

bruh

43574c4ee2f97f034437710ced56034a.gif

#51 eatliketheabnegation

eatliketheabnegation

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1942 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:33 PM

I think a lot of people have been brainwashed into the "treat yo self" mentality by the same people that put the addictive and harmful cheap additives into the food. Celebrating obesity, saying that "everything's going to give us cancer so why bother caring", vanity sizing, picking on thin people or health conscious people. It all seems like a way for people to placate themselves because they know what they're doing is wrong, and unhealthy, and unsustainable for themselves and their environment, and that they can change so much more easily than they think, and anyone that does change or do better breaks their personally delusion 

• next phase, Shinji Ikari, NLP and 2 others like this

I'm so sick, infected with, Where I live, Let me live without this, Empty bliss, selfishness ~Flyleaf

532.png

Height: 5' 2.5", 158.75 cm
HW: 158.0 lbs,   71.7 kg    6/24/16

CW:  128.0 lbs,   58.0 kg    10/10/20
LW: 92.3 lbs,      41.9 kg    12/25/14

GW: 110 lbs by November 2020

#52 dye

dye

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3388 posts
  • Location🧚‍♂️

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

right

#53 Sunnygirl86

Sunnygirl86

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2036 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:20 AM

Its sad when the people you love are the ones who are judging you. I totally get how out of place it is to order something healthy and how they think its so strange :/ Garbage food is all around and it is easier for people to give in and embrace it than to take time to think about the long term effects of eating something. Maybe slowly they will see that it is good for you to eat the healthy option and might ask you for advice down the road <3

Yeah can totally relate and it hurts af. For my hubby healthy food is rabbit food. And even worse for him an apple, banana, yogurt or salad has zero cal. There is no discussion for him. And if I eat or order that, he tells me I ate nothing and force feeds me something else later. It's a shame

Gesendet von meinem YAL-L21 mit Tapatalk

Germany, 174cm

HW: 78 kg

75kg / 72 kg70 / kg

68 kg /  67 kg / 66 kg / 65 kg / 64 kg / 63 kg / 62kg / 61 / 60 / 57,5

Pre-Preggo : 56kg (Jan 2020)

BMI: 18.4

LW: 52

Weigh-in paused due to pregnancy till 18th Sep 2020

GW (After pregnancy): 55

#54 sidewalk

sidewalk

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2302 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:51 AM

I think a lot of people have been brainwashed into the "treat yo self" mentality by the same people that put the addictive and harmful cheap additives into the food. Celebrating obesity, saying that "everything's going to give us cancer so why bother caring", vanity sizing, picking on thin people or health conscious people. It all seems like a way for people to placate themselves because they know what they're doing is wrong, and unhealthy, and unsustainable for themselves and their environment, and that they can change so much more easily than they think, and anyone that does change or do better breaks their personally delusion

Well said. The treat yo self mentality has become a treat yo self lifestyle and it doenst work like that?
  • eatliketheabnegation likes this

:)

Spoiler

accountiblity 

rantttttt

#55 hebrewsit

hebrewsit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:27 PM

b

Sometimes I find myself feeling weird for going out of my way to make sure I have healthy food around. 

I am constantly awestruck at the fact that people have absolutely no thought about the calorie content of any of their food.

I know that people would consider me the one with the mental problem here, but really???

It is more socially acceptable to scarf down an entire pizza to yourself than it is to eat an apple for lunch. 

I get more grief for bringing a salad from home than anyone else does for eating a large certainly exceeding 1500 calorie+ fast food lunch every day. 

Some people may say that I am on the opposite end of the extreme but honestly maybe if society was a bit more healthy and valued being at a healthy weight I wouldn't feel the need to be so obsessive about actually eating real foods. 

Does anyone else feel the same way? Like sure maybe having such a low BMI is a bit too much but when the people around you are at a BMI of 45+ nobody thinks its strange or even something appropriate to comment on. 

biiiiiitch I feel ya so hard

I live in South Louisiana so food is such a big part of the culture that "anorexic" is still very socially acceptable to use as an adjective, if ya know what I mean.

I'm sorry but I don't need deep fried boudin more than once a month (more like once a year, if even actually)

• ambrosial16 likes this

#56 skeleton aiden

skeleton aiden

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Locationthe scale (new york lmao)

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

i 100% agree. im not exactly a full on orthorexic, but i hate eating fatty junk food everyday. maybe a few chips every week but it honestly disgusts me.

people who restrict and binge and purge are at least worried about themselves, worried about their weight enough to do something about it. 

but people these days can eat 100 grams of sugar and 800 calories of junk food a day! and they dont care. its disgusting how they can do that. open your eyes, eating like that will make you hate yourself and just points your life in a dark direction. theyre going to die sooner than they should

"NEVER GIVE UP"

aiden, he/him

inpatient x1, relapse xထ

self harm, depression, anorexia, anxiety, adhd

5'8"

sw - 155, lw - 139, ugw - 100

everyone should read this

accountability

#57 skeletalsweetie

skeletalsweetie

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2163 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:46 AM

phat mood honestl! everyone is obese n careless. ngl kinda jealous of the careless part

• made of stones likes this

• sometimes they never wanted to hurt you, they just didn't care at all •

she/her 💫fifteen 💫114lbs

#58 Catico

Catico

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMi casa

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:07 AM

Omg yes i thought i was the only person! I try and bring this up as a genuine discussion and it gets shot down because im anorexic...
My dad is Indian, in their culture food = love , so if you dont enjoy or take his food it makes him angry and really, really upset.
Its really annoying because not only is his food really oily and unhealthy, but he serves HUGE portions, which are apparently normal, and expects us to eat it all and then take seconds to.
Honeslty the value he places on food is ridiculous, every meal time used to be a whole ceremony, all conversation about the food, all praise about how ‘good’ it is.
  • Abbey84 likes this

ill live with no regrets, looking at the sky

Spread my wings and fly, now like this

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

SW: 64.9 kg

LW: 50.5 kg

Height: 170 cm

(recovery)accountability: https://www.myproana...ccountability☾/

^maybe recovery is possible^

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

#59 ifoundDory

ifoundDory

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1332 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 12:06 PM

I’m reminded of the hate Jillian Michaels got for noting that society shouldn’t celebrate morbid obesity when they praise Lizzo, they should celebrate her music instead. She got so much criticism and harsh commentary from the press and the public. Now Michaels probably could’ve done a better job communicating her ideas, but the basic critique was that morbid obesity (mind you, not simply being overweight) has negative health consequences, and we shouldn’t praise someone for having health issues. Granted Lizzo can go on long tours and dance with great endurance, but that’s not going to last forever. Sumo wrestlers are great athletes but live short lives. I’m concerned that body positivity is morphing into an “eat all you can and what you want” mentality. It’s a pet peeve of mine tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, I think at least part of the hate was not directed towards what she said but the fact that SHE said it as she is known for her insane workouts and horrible treatment of obese ppl.
I totally agree with what she said but from the viewpoint of the haes movement she just made things worse

#60 collarbonedreamer

collarbonedreamer

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:33 AM

Listen, I'm not shitting on people who love themselves, if you hate your body you aren't likely to do anything to improve it.  Body positivity isn't my issue.  However, 'healthy at any size' tends to glorify having a body that is not healthy and often overweight or obese.  You can be positive about yourself and improve your body/health at the same time.

• meadowfairy, flickerbeat and oujisama like this

Vegan for the animals, vegan for my body, vegan for the planet. But mostly for the animals.

Height: 5'1" 

CW: 103.6lbs BMI 19.6

GW1: 100lbs UGW: 95 BMI 17.9 

~ When she dreams she sees her bones ~

:mellow:108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users