Society has got out of hand with their weight. - Page 4 - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Society has got out of hand with their weight.

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#61 89vision

89vision

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:33 PM

It is crazy to me that healthy eating (and I don't mean ED-style, super restrictive, calorie deficient etc.) is seen as the weird thing.  I used to get so much shit from my family about eating healthy, like the comments of "Only rabbits eat that" (vegetables and salad).  What is so mind-numbing is that almost my entire family is unhealthy and I'm the only one with a normal BMI.  How can they not correlate that to eating well?  Thankfully my parents are focusing more on their health, my Mom sends me cute pictures of her dinners she is trying out which are super healthy and adventurous.  Our family gatherings have started to incorporate at least one healthy dish or two when it used to be all gross foods.  

One thing that really bugs me is the comments about my son.  My husband is really tall and my son is pretty lanky and skinny (he is only 8).  My sister is very overweight and has been her whole life and her two sons started getting bigger around age 5/6 and are now pretty overweight.  My grandma has made comments about how skinny my son is and how he needs to eat more and put on weight.  I'm like ?????  I don't restrict my son's eating AT ALL, he eats until he is full, has candy and junk food when it is appropriate and I don't cut out food groups for him or anything like that.  He is what a normal kid should look like.  I feel like people are brainwashed into another idea of normal that isn't reality.  

• footsteps, AmalBeauty, tinyprettywords and 8 others like this

#62 Darling Nikki

Darling Nikki

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationDante's 5th level of hell

Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:36 PM

Seriously. You are telling the truth. It has become so out of the ordinary to have a few whole food items made in to a home made meal that is an everyday thing and not just because someone is on some strange fad diet that they will drop next week but an actual lifestyle of eating real foods. 

The amount of times that I have been looked at strange for taking a banana out of my bag and eating it is unbearable. y'all its a banana, totally natural! don't flip your lid like I'm some weird monkey. 

I would stare too, but in longing. I am allergic to the delicious yellow bastards. I want one so badly but they make me vomit.

• Traveler. likes this

5'6"

110 - 115 lbs GW

105 lbs UGW

Accountability: https://www.myproana.../#entry71855921

#63 Burnthesebridges

Burnthesebridges

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:39 PM

A rib showing is concerning to friends and family but I think it should be the norm. Same as how when we stop being able to see my dogs rib cage we put him on a diet because he’s getting to heavy.
Even with the bmi scale, the healthy range is so large. It may be my ortho talking but I feel far more mobile, flexible efficient and easy at bmi 19 to bmi 21. I can’t imagine being bmi 24 and still being considered healthy.

I always use the dog point too, why are they overweight if we can't see/feel their ribs yet humans are underweight if ribs are seen?!

And yes at even the lowest 'healthy BMI' weight for my height I feel sluggish and uncomfortable.
  • next phase, collarbonedreamer, CConfused and 3 others like this

#64 skinnyme-isback

skinnyme-isback

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2674 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:10 PM

I completely agree. People way back then simply did not have the health problems we do now. I wonder why? Oh, I know! They were living off of the land, not gobbling gobs of chemicals. Only the rich were fat, and that's because they could afford to constantly eat meat.
  • mirrikitty, next phase and flickerbeat like this

#65 kittensandmittens

kittensandmittens

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:42 AM

Yeah, like the whole fat-acceptance movement is in my opinion just a way to justify being that big and taking the pressure off of being healthy when in fact, aiming for health should be a fun goal/journey! I personally love making new health goals (albeit they can be pretty obsessive but that's another story). 

Can I also say how much I HATE being called 'thicc'. I began to relapse when I was given unnecessary comments on my bodyweight which were, granted, supposed to be complimentary and 'uplifting' because I suppose I grew a bit of a booty after weightlifting a ton and eating more of course, but the unwarranted comments just make me think of models like Tess Holliday and I DO NOT want to be compared to her at all! 

WHAT is the big deal with being called THICC? Yeah I get that curves on a woman are seen as sexy and attractive but people are starting to embrace being overweight and not prioritizing their health so they can be 'thicc'. IDK it doesn't make sense to me and I'm honestly over it and people pointing at my butt and going "ooh she thick!" STFU 

• footsteps, next phase, Abbey84 and 2 others like this

Haruko
 5'2"
 19   :wub: college girl

GW: 90 soaking wet 

CW: 97

Stuck between wanting to build muscle and maintaining or losing more, but that means losing everything 

#66 A_batty_baby_bat

A_batty_baby_bat

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:22 PM

No I agree it’s insane.
I read an article saying that the average person actually eats 3500 calories per day. Which is what I would consider a binge!

Also, I live in WV and everyone here is overweight and have that “food is love, food is life” mentality.
  • collarbonedreamer, zonosaur and ambrosial16 like this

#67 Duplo

Duplo

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2944 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne, UK

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

Dude, I hear ya. Check out this content from Never Binge Again:

"Big Food uses artificial means to hijack OUR survival drives for profit. People in our society feel they can’t live without the “pleasure buttons” provided by industrial food’s bags, boxes, and containers… and will fight to keep pressing these buttons at the dire expense of their health needs.

The economic force of Big Food has trumped nutrition and hijacked our survival drive.

Then, of course, Big Advertising spends billions to convince us these food-like-substances are irresistible (and even good for us). Did you know there are 5,000+ food messages beamed at us via TV, Radio, and the internet every year but hardly ANY of them are for fruit and vegetables?...

Oh, and lest you think you’re immune because advertising “doesn’t work on” you, here’s a very disturbing fact: Advertising works BETTER on people who think they’re immune because their sales resistance is down! (It’s a little evil when you stop to think about it).

Summarizing…

Big Food puts as much starch, sugar, oil, sodium, fat, excitotoxins, and other chemical stimulants into a small space as they legally can…

Then they package it up to APPEAR healthy and irresistible…

Big Advertising makes us believe it…"

• tinyprettywords, relaxingterror, ambrosial16 and 3 others like this
Height: 5ft (short AF)
CW: Denial (fat AF)

heart-arrow-pixel.gifMy Adventures with High Restriction - Daily Fatty Photos - drop by and give me some mojo! cat-pixel.gif

018628ea653a31e3343aea1c0b8eebb7.gif

#68 tinyprettywords

tinyprettywords

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 03:47 PM

It is crazy to me that healthy eating (and I don't mean ED-style, super restrictive, calorie deficient etc.) is seen as the weird thing.  I used to get so much shit from my family about eating healthy, like the comments of "Only rabbits eat that" (vegetables and salad).  What is so mind-numbing is that almost my entire family is unhealthy and I'm the only one with a normal BMI.  How can they not correlate that to eating well?  Thankfully my parents are focusing more on their health, my Mom sends me cute pictures of her dinners she is trying out which are super healthy and adventurous.  Our family gatherings have started to incorporate at least one healthy dish or two when it used to be all gross foods.  

I agree. When I'm at a restaurant with people it's like a game of trying to find something healthy that at the same time people won't judge me for ordering (if I just get a salad I'll get shit from people because I'm making them feel insecure about their choice to order a burger). I was at a chain restaurant with my boyfriend and his cousins and they were all ordering these big burgers and shakes (they're athletic teenage boys who can eat whatever they want plus his one female cousin who's a bit chubby) and I felt like it would be borderline socially unacceptable to just get something like a salad or plain salmon :/ (Luckily there was a pineapple stir fry on the <600 menu that I ordered while mentioning how much I just lovee anything with pineapple and that's why I was choosing it over a burger lol. But basically what I'm saying is I shouldn't feel the need to justify my choice to get something healthy over a burger). 

• 89vision, zonosaur and Kehdice like this

"Eat like you love yourself. Move like you love yourself. Speak like you love yourself. Act like you love yourself." 

Height: 5'6''

HW: 152

CW: 134

GW: 125

weight.png

#69 Skinnier98

Skinnier98

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

My family made fun of me for ordering water at a restaurant once. That was fun
  • Depression blue likes this

#70 Alexiia

Alexiia

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAlola

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:46 PM

I completely agree with this thread!! this infuriates me!!!!

tumblr_inline_nsubyzq4OO1tnv24g_500.gif

I always come back...

⇸VEGETARIAN⇷

hw: 121 lbs

cw: 112 lbs

lw: 99 lbs

gw1: 105 lbs

gw2: 100 lbs

gw3: 95 lbs

❤ UGW: 88 lbs ❤

439493women.gif

Spoiler

#71 Katatat

Katatat

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2510 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

Luckily I live in a mountain town in CA and I don’t think I’ve ever seen an obese local here, even obese tourists are rare. There’s a huge focus on eating healthy and being active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • JManskald and Depression blue like this

"Performance is most easily improved not by adding things, but by removing obstacles."

Spoiler

#72 kimmydreamer134

kimmydreamer134

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

girl i live in nz the country supposed tb on the healthier side and even then i see huge people at the grocery store buying all kinds of crap- makes me cringe inside but hey- that's natural selection i guess
  • Duplo likes this

#73 Tryingtolosemyself

Tryingtolosemyself

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2598 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:27 PM

This thread is exactly what I think whenever I go into treatment, or see "recovery" accounts on instagram, or talk about shit with my outpatient dietitian!!

First off, the body positivity movement... it fucking INFURIATES me. It only applies to the obese, and it you even so much as suggest something to do with their physical health you're shut down for fAt sHaMinG.... I've talked about it with my dietitian before and it's crazy how eating disorder specialized dietitians are so fucking BRAINWASHED into fat culture... I've shared with her my concerns about the BoPo movement and how it glorifies and normalizes obesity, and she parrots off EVERYTHING everyone says on it, "body weight is not an accurate measure of your physical health; someone who is overweight or even obese can still be healthy, health related issues are not dependent on weight," blah blah blah. She has told me she has had the "sickest" patients with an ED who were so obese but would restrict that one couldn't even hold her head up... uh I don't even understand that one so I'm not going to go into it. But GOD that drives me up the wall.

In recovery a few years ago I would follow a lot of that crap 1) because it made me feel better about my recovery because at least *I* wasn't overweight in recovery from my ED and 2) *maybe* being "fat" isn't THAT bad... LMFAO

Which goes into the biggest issue for me, that I see SO MANY PEOPLE who have "recovered" from their anorexia and are now very fucking overweight and posting all this recovery, BoPo, motivational shit on their instagrams, including CONSTANT selfies of their "bloat" after eating -- no honey, that's just fat, it's not EVEN a bloat... and my last time in treatment when I got to PHP I talked to the dietitian about how I think their "weight restoration" in basically every treatment center in the U.S. is a scam, in my experience from everywhere I've been, they feed ALL us up to get to a BMI of at least fucking 20, and those who come in who aren't even underweight even end up gaining weight too! How is this healthy?? I told her it seems like they treat everyone's body the same way, with the same ultimate goal BMI of 20-21, totally disregarding different body types, bone structures, metabolisms...??? She then went through the whole professional dietetics that every dietitian in the ED field is now spoon fed into parroting off, and I just nodded my head and said yeah, "Makes sense?" "uh... yeah." NO IT DOES NOT.

Just because almost the entire world now is used to being fat, sitting on their asses, eating pure shit out of laziness, and it's normalized, doesn't mean that we should be told in treatment nO FoOd iS a BaD fOoD, you can just eat it in *moderation* okay Karen, then why the fuck is there candy in the kitchen we have to choose to eat about every day to help us meet our insanely high fucking mealplans, and junk food, instead of you know, more healthy options that won't make us feel like SHIT?

Then by the time I've discharged out of treatment at fucking 150 lbs (20-21 bmi for me) I KEEP eating that way because I've grown accustomed to it and I think to myself, okay I'm fat now so what does it fucking matter anymore? Well it's not NORMAL and it shouldn't be.

Okay edit, I typed this out in pure vent form, I hope not to offend, if so- just know I let my ED take full reign over this part:

The funny thing is now I have a few friends who are obese and say they have always been "big" their whole lives and they think it's just their body type and they just can't lose weight. (They have lost weight before, but never enough to not be overweight) and when I start talking about my anorexia (I know this is the ortho forum but I agree with everything all of you guys have said) they flip out and say I'm just way too thin, yes I am quite underweight but I'm actually not sick, and they sometimes are like GIRL STOP talking about it, I wish *I* could lose this weight, and I'm being an ass and am like, well...you know, you could if you just like, didn't eat. >.>

Funny story but one time I was getting stoned with one of these friends so we had the munchies and she goes "ok Katie, I'm gonna show you how a fat girl eats and actually stays fat" and I'm like "ok girl, I gotcha" and I kept up with her throughout that binge, because I have b/p with my anorexia and I've been known to binge for up to 2 hours before I purge, and I was like girl don't be surprised, a thin girl can easily do this too, the difference is that when I binge I NEVER keep it down. XD

I dont know where tf I"m going with this but jesus, society pisses me off with obesity and being fat being the norm, and I'm like, how fucking LAZY can you be? How can you not care about how huge and disgusting you are, and keep eating like that??!!

I go on recovery accounts on instagram just to laugh at all the BoPo idiots thinking that that is REAL ANOREXIA RECOVERY. Sorry hon, it's not. It's called unhealthy lifestyle with binge eating to replace your anorexia. Same as when someone with anorexia recovers through fitness and health, because it's another way to control weight and size. They're replacing their restriction and weight loss obsessions with obsession with food and validating themselves for being way bigger than they'd like, but tHeY cAn'T ChAnGe it now since they are recovered, this is their recovery body!!! Trust me girl, I've been there too, and that is not your recovery body. I feel confident to recover now, because I know how to do it without feeding into the brainwashing they forcefeed you with in treatment. They like my weight in the upper 140sto the 150s, well if when I leave treatment this next time (admitting soon) and my weight is that high, I will lose to be in the 130s at a NORMAL BMI for me, and maintain there, and actually eat healthily with you know, BALANCE, so that I can maintain recovery, instead of resign myself to a life of constant overeating and binging and purging.

• Mind In Revolt, Depression blue, relaxingterror and 4 others like this

#74 jojosiwa

jojosiwa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:41 PM

in my country our government has kind of waged a 'war on diabetes' and everyone is super into healthy living and exercise and all that, but honestly I still judge some meals people have which seem healthy, and i dont know if that's just my ED voice. For example I am quite the stuck up about high carb meals which are pretty common where I'm from (not junk, low in saturated fats, worst about it probably that it is refined like noodles or something), or like stuff cooked with oil (not deep fried) for example roasted vegetables with oil or butter.

What do you guys think? and where will you draw the line between healthy and simply disordered/restrictive? and where do you position yourselves? (last one is tricky haha)

#75 vinonna

vinonna

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:45 PM

My aunt always used to comment on the availability of so much crap food in huge portions today. She was born in the 50s (not in US), told me how it was normal to eat home cooked meals which were mostly veggies + some meat. Bread was usually baked at home, with much more quality ingredients than the shit we get today that screws with out blood-sugar. She even told me fruit doesn't smell and taste the same and that they used to enjoy fruit same as people today enjoy cookies, cake etc. Processed food was rare.

She told me she ate a lot because she was doing a physically demanding job, but her weight always stayed 116 pounds at 5'4, a lot of it being muscle too and she was considered a bit on the THICKER SIDE, wtf. My mom and my other aunt were very thin, and so were all of the neighborhood friends and it was considered normal and they still ate normally too. 

Nowadays every other thing you eat fucks up your metabolism. Trying to eat healthy is considered a struggle because there is so much crap food (that body craves for some reason) surrounding us everywhere, nobody even knows what healthy is anymore. I feel like our society generally lost balance when it comes to food. 

• Duplo, tinyprettywords, Abbey84 and 5 others like this

5'5 (165 cm)

9th April 2020 -

SW: 143 lbs (64.8 kg)

HW: 145 lbs (66 kg)

8th May 2020

CW: 134.0 lbs (60.9 kg)

GW1: 117 lbs (53 kg)

GW2: 108 lbs (49 kg)

UGW: 100 lbs (45.5. kg)

My LW was around 102 lbs, but that was years ago....

weight.png

#76 Duplo

Duplo

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2944 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne, UK

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:45 AM

in my country our government has kind of waged a 'war on diabetes' and everyone is super into healthy living and exercise and all that,

Which country is that? I need to move there.

• Depression blue, relaxingterror, ambrosial16 and 1 other like this
Height: 5ft (short AF)
CW: Denial (fat AF)

heart-arrow-pixel.gifMy Adventures with High Restriction - Daily Fatty Photos - drop by and give me some mojo! cat-pixel.gif

018628ea653a31e3343aea1c0b8eebb7.gif

#77 Fat Mac

Fat Mac

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1184 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I totally have a hateboner for the HAES people. Cuz that shit is WHY I started hating my body so much. They told me so many times that there was nothing I could do to change my body so I shouldn't even try that I really believed it. Learning about calories was mind-blowing. All that suffering and the lies and all I need in the end was a CALCULATOR?
  • Katatat, tinyprettywords, Depression blue and 8 others like this

sorry, mom. sorry, god.

accountability

stats:

Spoiler

#78 relaxingterror

relaxingterror

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:44 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I totally have a hateboner for the HAES people. Cuz that shit is WHY I started hating my body so much. They told me so many times that there was nothing I could do to change my body so I shouldn't even try that I really believed it. Learning about calories was mind-blowing. All that suffering and the lies and all I need in the end was a CALCULATOR?

People actually believe their crap? Wow sad.
  • tinyprettywords likes this

Currently a fat piece of shit.

CW: 118lb

LW: 115lb

GW: 106lb

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering."

https://tthoughtsexp...ixsite.com/home

#79 tinyprettywords

tinyprettywords

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:21 PM

For real! They all love to say that 99.99999% of diets fail and so you should just give up and join their cult of fat acceptance...Like yeah crazy crash diets don't work sure, but consistent and sustainable lifestyle changes absolutely do. 

• Depression blue, Abbey84, flickerbeat and 2 others like this

"Eat like you love yourself. Move like you love yourself. Speak like you love yourself. Act like you love yourself." 

Height: 5'6''

HW: 152

CW: 134

GW: 125

weight.png

#80 shane?

shane?

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:46 PM

i agree. unfortunately, i am one of those people who lack self control and eat whatever i want, regardless of what is in it. i know it is something i have to change.

• Depression blue likes this

they/them ; usa

height: 162 cm

cw: 93.3 kg

gw: 75.0 kg

accountability

shorturl.at/vHIN5

ed snapchat/instagram

shanetolose40

my trigger/content warning list

i list these at the top of posts when applicable

my content DOES NOT CONTAIN ALL OF THESE