Society has got out of hand with their weight. - Page 5 - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Society has got out of hand with their weight.

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#81 Duplo

Duplo

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2944 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne, UK

Posted 07 May 2020 - 06:58 AM

I'm not gonna lie, I totally have a hateboner for the HAES people. Cuz that shit is WHY I started hating my body so much. They told me so many times that there was nothing I could do to change my body so I shouldn't even try that I really believed it. Learning about calories was mind-blowing. All that suffering and the lies and all I need in the end was a CALCULATOR?

HAES = Huge Ass Eliminates Sex

• Katatat, Kaereot(carat)carrot, FantasticHamplanet and 1 other like this
Height: 5ft (short AF)
CW: Denial (fat AF)

heart-arrow-pixel.gifMy Adventures with High Restriction - Daily Fatty Photos - drop by and give me some mojo! cat-pixel.gif

018628ea653a31e3343aea1c0b8eebb7.gif

#82 DEICIDE

DEICIDE

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1494 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:45 AM

HAES = Huge Ass Eliminates Sex

Now why is that?
  • next phase likes this

#83 AngryOtter

AngryOtter

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:15 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I totally have a hateboner for the HAES people. Cuz that shit is WHY I started hating my body so much. They told me so many times that there was nothing I could do to change my body so I shouldn't even try that I really believed it. Learning about calories was mind-blowing. All that suffering and the lies and all I need in the end was a CALCULATOR?

God I relate to this. They can be so insanely anti-science it’s like nails on a chalkboard, especially their theory that some people are genetically skinny.
  • Abbey84 likes this

#84 wastingballerina

wastingballerina

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:44 AM

That’s what I think the whole problem is with the body positive movement. It’s not promoting body positivity. In fact, it encourages an all around unhealthy lifestyle where people consume vast quantities of genetically modified crops with barely any nutritional value, types of fats, chemicals, hydrogenated corn products, and sugar syrups, that humans aren’t meant to digest in the first place.

And it’s not that I have a problem with the actual look of overweight and obese people. Believe it or not, I am all for being positive about the way you look. Whatever your choices are regarding your appearance aren’t my business, or mine to judge. Yeah, I personally never want to look that way, but if you like the look of a larger body, good for you I won’t judge.

What does drive me mad is your shitty lifestyle, your complacency in your terrible health and the awful way you treat your body and encourage others to do the same. Obviously you don’t have respect for your body if you’re fine with it being in this unhealthy state, endlessly shoving crap in it and never getting activity and exercise in like humans were meant to.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
  • CinderellaSkeleton, Duplo, exul and 8 others like this

#85 michellem

michellem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:39 PM

100% agree!! People be wilin these days and not think their actions have repercussions?! We all have the capacity to be unhealthy on either end of the spectrum but I hate how we are the “unhealthy” ones like it’s perfectly “healthy” to not give a f about what you’re putting in your body...

Just know that if your healthy, you’re the winning one:)
  • Abbey84 likes this
love above all

5’7
CW 121
LW 98
GW 110
UGW 98

#86 ℜ𝔦𝔫𝔞

ℜ𝔦𝔫𝔞

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:06 AM

To be honest, I agree...

giphy.gif

If I cannot bend Heaven
I will raise Hell

#87 tinyprettywords

tinyprettywords

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:36 AM

Luckily I live in a mountain town in CA and I don’t think I’ve ever seen an obese local here, even obese tourists are rare. There’s a huge focus on eating healthy and being active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, a healthy mountain town in California sounds like my dream. I need to move there lol

• Katatat likes this

"Eat like you love yourself. Move like you love yourself. Speak like you love yourself. Act like you love yourself." 

Height: 5'6''

HW: 152

CW: 134

GW: 125

weight.png

#88 Mipha

Mipha

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

Hey I’m a recovering anorexic (used to be orthorexic when it all started but AN took over)
I’m european so my experience is a lot different.
I used to live near Zurich and it feels like EVERYONE is health and weight obsessed there. (Not in a healthy way sadly... even being diagnosed anorexic I could walk around and see so many people thinner than me.... it was the worst)
But at least not as many people eat crap ?
Now I’m in an university town and most people are still very health conscious but not in an obsessive way :) Of course my view is skewed because I interact with persons of my own social circle (mostly privileged, white women, or in university medical students.)
Yes many of them eat crap once in a while.
But so do I, since recovering.
I think the problem is that many people do not have a good introception. They put crap into their body because they don’t see the consequences.
Then again most people are raised to like sugary stuff. Take my boyfriend: he‘s addicted to sugar. And our brains are wired to love fatty, sugary shit. The consequence is a sluggish mind and body. Health problems etc. But many people just won’t connect it to their eating habits. Or they’ve become too ingrained, too normal to change them. And too easy... It takes effort to cook and eat healthy.
Even I struggle with cooking and eating healthy. And I’m in a financial situation where I can just buy avocado and eggs and call it a day. But I feel the energy I get from nutritious food, and I can feel my skin itching when I eat shit. I don’t eat a perfect diet. But I eat a fairly okayish one (esp. since I’m quarantined atm :/ and not allowed to leave my 20sqm flat), one that balances between food for my body and food for my soul.
And I believe that is something normal people could strive for. It’s hard to do for many people. It’s the balance between what do I want and what will do me good.
But I believe it is attainable.
  • Duplo and AutumnAddict like this

#89 comeflywithme

comeflywithme

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:09 AM

I'm not orthorexic but even I can agree that society's attitudes towards food and weight is killing people and the environment, yet it refuses to change.

• g.lina likes this
<p>here's some food for thought for you "proanas," because i know you're still out there: starving yourself to lose weight will either kill you, ruin your life, traumatize you, or all three. want to lose weight and maintain it? research how to do so healthily, because no one who choses that route ends up regretting it. don't say you haven't been warned.

#90 Hollow_belly

Hollow_belly

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:37 PM

Daily I'm constantly judged for wanting to live a healthier life....... counting calories drives my family and friends crazy!!!!! But I don't want to change

#91 Abbey84

Abbey84

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1333 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:56 AM

Daily I'm constantly judged for wanting to live a healthier life....... counting calories drives my family and friends crazy!!!!! But I don't want to change

Yeah it's like "oh you wanna be healthy?! Ewwwwww!!"

I think most people want to be healthy fit and well. Especially now lmao...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
CW 80lbs bmi 16.2 gw 78lbs

#92 next phase

next phase

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Locationparis

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:32 AM

I agree. 

Moreover, I think we should go back to former decades (such as the early 90's or something) where the majority of people ate a normal amount and being skinny was considered normal. I get that we shouldn't shame people for being curvy or chubby as most women who eat well naturally are like that, and women are supposed to have more body fat then men in areas such as hips or stomach, but in general I just think being thin should come back in fashion. Everyone is like "omg she's so skinny!" like, no? She just doesn't have excess body fat...why is EXCESS body fat normal? I don't know, it's kind of a harsh POV maybe, but just my opinion, when people are thin I feel like I can see their natural body shape more, thus seeing more of who they truly are. Could be my ED talking but I just don't see why excess body fat is okay or desired. Doesn't really make sense in my head. 

• 89vision, NLP, die indie and 2 others like this

lw: 108 lbs 

hw: 164 lbs 

clw: 126 lbs

gw1: 121 lbs

gw2: 108 lbs

ugw: 99 lbs

#93 LikeMyBody

LikeMyBody

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1918 posts
  • Location🇫🇷 At home, as one should be

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:35 AM

Now why is that?

Because at some point you become so huge, anal/vaginal intercourse becomes physically impossible due to the folds of fat that are in the way. Other sexual activities also become a struggle, because of the physical exertion that they require. I mean, morbidly obese people can’t even clean themselves thoroughly in some cases, it’s not surprising that intercourse is not an option for them.
  • Duplo and flickerbeat like this
dVWkp2.png

BMI 18.9 | 167 cm/5’6” | 52.7 kg/116.2 lbs

Accountability

4-FC84-BE5-0-CE7-4-DFC-872-F-7086-AE5549

#94 next phase

next phase

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Locationparis

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, like the whole fat-acceptance movement is in my opinion just a way to justify being that big and taking the pressure off of being healthy when in fact, aiming for health should be a fun goal/journey! I personally love making new health goals (albeit they can be pretty obsessive but that's another story). 

Can I also say how much I HATE being called 'thicc'. I began to relapse when I was given unnecessary comments on my bodyweight which were, granted, supposed to be complimentary and 'uplifting' because I suppose I grew a bit of a booty after weightlifting a ton and eating more of course, but the unwarranted comments just make me think of models like Tess Holliday and I DO NOT want to be compared to her at all! 

WHAT is the big deal with being called THICC? Yeah I get that curves on a woman are seen as sexy and attractive but people are starting to embrace being overweight and not prioritizing their health so they can be 'thicc'. IDK it doesn't make sense to me and I'm honestly over it and people pointing at my butt and going "ooh she thick!" STFU 

Agree. When I was quite over-weight everyone kept saying "you're not fat, you're thick" just because the fat went straight to my ass and I have naturally big breasts which got even bigger when I was overweight; but it's like...no? Just because my fat went to my ass and I'm naturally curvy doesn't make me less overweight. Why is it okay one way but not okay the other? It's still the same amount of weight, and my small waist a big ass doesn't exempt me from being unhealthy and carrying way too much weight for someone who is a tiny height. 

I'm naturally curvy, so even when I'm at a very low weight, people can still see that and I won't lose that, and the smaller I get,I get closer to what I'm supposed to naturally look like. I only have excess weight from over-eating, which isn't a natural thing. Humans don't need all that food for survival. 

• ambrosial16 and flickerbeat like this

lw: 108 lbs 

hw: 164 lbs 

clw: 126 lbs

gw1: 121 lbs

gw2: 108 lbs

ugw: 99 lbs

#95 Tilikum

Tilikum

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:59 AM

It's definitely weird. I've recovered from my ED but I'm still conscious of what i eat because I want to be healthy. I'm a little more lax than i used to be because I know that otherwise I'll get too obsessive. For instance, i might have a piece of pizza or a cupcake here and there if I want it, but I'm conscious of it and i make sure I'm sticking to mostly healthy foods and I feel so much better for it. (side note I had anorexia not orthorexia, but I was still pretty avoidant of "unhealthy foods"). Even though I'm recovered, I'm still pretty lean and I don't eat that much. That's just the way I've always been even before the ED. I find it infuriating the way people comment on my food and what i eat. People that don't even know I had an ED will say things like "is that all you're gonna eat?" "Ivy never eats." "You're a stick." (my BMI is around 20), "I want to see you eat all of that"

40352153.png
  Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#96 LittleOne912

LittleOne912

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

#97 CinderellaSkeleton

CinderellaSkeleton

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:53 AM

Ugh this topic just gets me. Even as a kid I preferred veggies and fruit and always got made fun of during lunch or snack time at school because of the healthy food I brought. People are always shocked when I say broccoli and apples are two of my favorite foods and they look at me like I'm some disgusting weirdo for preferring healthy foods over junk food. I could honestly care less what everyone else eats. I firmly believe that everyone should have complete control over their own body and be able to eat however they want. However, the fact that preferring unhealthy food and being overweight is the new "norm" drives me crazy Why don't people care more about their health? It's insane to me. I don't care if you love pizza, that's great and you should enjoy it, but you should also eat veggies/protein and workout to be healthy. I could go on about this topic forever.

• tinyprettywords likes this

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all."

Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

nastia-liukin-bars.jpg

#98 meadowfairy

meadowfairy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2507 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:14 PM

We have an abundance of calorie dense foods designed by scientists and extremely market tested for flavor. These calorie dense foods are everywhere! Not just fast food stops but in impulse buy areas at non-food stores.

We all deserve permission to eat nourishing healthy foods and treats but it’s also key to remember that massive global corporations aren’t selling an addictive product are acting in our best interests. That’s the line where I really disagree with the HAES/Intuitive Eating mindset. It’s one thing to deny yourself a slice of homemade pie with loved ones baked from grandma’s special recipe because you’re afraid of calories, it’s another thing to grab the king size snicker after a Starbucks milkshake drink every single day because of an uncritical “treat yourself!” mindset.

You said it!!

When I first started recovery, I thought intuitive eating was allowing myself treats, sugary, processed treats, every day, sometimes more than once, and that was okay, normal, and recovery-focused.

Now I realize that these foods are for special occasions, only. It doesnt mean I'm not working recovery or not eating intuitively if I hold back from eating that junk every day.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk
Spoiler

#99 meadowfairy

meadowfairy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2507 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:20 PM

Ugh this topic just gets me. Even as a kid I preferred veggies and fruit and always got made fun of during lunch or snack time at school because of the healthy food I brought. People are always shocked when I say broccoli and apples are two of my favorite foods and they look at me like I'm some disgusting weirdo for preferring healthy foods over junk food. I could honestly care less what everyone else eats. I firmly believe that everyone should have complete control over their own body and be able to eat however they want. However, the fact that preferring unhealthy food and being overweight is the new "norm" drives me crazy Why don't people care more about their health? It's insane to me. I don't care if you love pizza, that's great and you should enjoy it, but you should also eat veggies/protein and workout to be healthy. I could go on about this topic forever.

I remember one time in high school I brought hummus and baby carrots for lunch and this girl sitting with us asked, Are you some kind of health freak?

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk
Spoiler

#100 Acid Rain

Acid Rain

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationYour Fridge

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:34 PM

I remember when I was out with people years ago and I didn't want to eat the macaroni bites, this chick asked if I was anorexic. I was a healthy weight and she was morbidly obese. No, bitch, I just don't want to keep gaining weight. Completely lost control and gained a lot of weight during pregnancy but now I'm back to losing weight. Fat Acceptance drives me insane, dumbest shit I've seen in a long time. 

tumblr_lnn1g0a4DH1qhizsv.gif

Binge Free Since 05.17.20  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users