Society has got out of hand with their weight. - Page 6 - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Society has got out of hand with their weight.

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#101 Morgan le Fou

Morgan le Fou

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2701 posts
  • LocationEast Coast Beast Coast

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:30 AM

People have honestly been offended when I have said no thank you to pizza. My co-workers will randomly order like 4 pizzas and if I don't want any they get confused and offended as if they have spent money on me and then I say no, but they never even ask if I want pizza ordered in the first place. I have been judged so hard for eating only 1 slice of cheese pizza and leaving the crust behind. Meanwhile other people are eating 3 and 4 slices of meat lovers pizza soaked in ranch dressing acting like they are an example of the correct way to eat pizza. 

I saw this video that was pure cancer where this lady was saying that refusing cake was a microaggression. Oh fuck I found it. Watching this shit made me lose hundreds of braincells: 

• activecheesecake, Fat Mac, mashunya and 5 others like this

Height: Between 5'3" and 5'4"

HW: 135

LW: 74

CW: Hambeast

GW: Ghost

Send me a buddy request on eatingdisordercentral.com!

#102 meadowfairy

meadowfairy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2514 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

I saw this video that was pure cancer where this lady was saying that refusing cake was a microaggression. Oh fuck I found it. Watching this shit made me lose hundreds of braincells:

WOOOOWWWWW

I am a feminist but this is too much.
Also the speaker is obnoxious.

And she says just take the whole piece you are given. What, is it better to eat some and then toss it in the trash or to ask for a smaller piece so you don't waste food???

If you take that personally as an attack that you're being fat for eating the whole slice, that's on you.
  • Morgan le Fou, Anarkissed, forumghost and 5 others like this

ib3JOEh.jpg

#103 livingintheshadows

livingintheshadows

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:02 AM

I don't think people should be shamed for being too fat or for being too thin. I get if somebody is worried about you (a friend/ family member) but if you don't have a close relationship with someone then why would you ever say anything about their body to them? People get so offended because "fat" is a term kind of loosely used. People's bodies hold weight different so not everybody is gonna fit perfectly into one weight category. Some people also have medical conditions in which they gain more weight or cant hold onto weight and it doesn't seem fair to comment on something somebody can't change. Society does need more representation of different body types. We need to see different sizes of people, but we cannot normalize one type of body (skinny or fat) Everybody deserves representation without shame. 

I think society needs to get better about nutrition. I personally NEVER learned what was healthy and what was not. I never learned about portion size when I was growing up and always over ate as a kid. I was skinny for so long bcs I burned it quick, but then puberty hit and I gained 20-30 pounds and ended up overweight. Its so hard to try to re-learn healthy habits when you never had good eating patterns to begin with. I wish the American education system did more than show u a food pyramid and expect you to make healthy choices. But parents also have a lot to do with their kids eating habits, as we learn things from our parents. The community as a whole needs to learn more about health so that we don't need to have weight being such a taboo. 

ALSO... why does nobody ever talk about the fact that eating too much is also an eating disorder? You don't need to not eat to have an eating disorder. Over eating is also a means of control and just as unhealthy as not eating. In school we only ever talked about anorexia and bullemia because they were common. I wish I had known that my eating patterns weren't normal sooner and that just because I didn't fit into that box didn't mean I wasn't struggling. education is key  :blink: 

• Kaereot(carat)carrot, meadowfairy, ambrosial16 and 4 others like this

HW: 135

LW:104

CW: 111

GW: 104 or less

BMI: 20.5

Height: 5'2

#104 Abbey84

Abbey84

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:25 AM

I remember one time in high school I brought hummus and baby carrots for lunch and this girl sitting with us asked, Are you some kind of health freak?

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

Well yeah I do want to be "healthy" I'd rather be fit and well, wouldn't every body?

Omg. what is their fucking problem?!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
  • Duplo and meadowfairy like this
CW 80lbs bmi 16.2 gw 78lbs

#105 Duplo

Duplo

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2944 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne, UK

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:37 AM

That broad has issues. She raises her eyebrows too much, her face looks like a sack of potatoes and she talks with a sickly condescending voice.

I'm sorry, I can't even.

In this video it's clear she has no sympathy for people with eating disorders (other than BED) as she describes and ridicules typical ana behaviour.

• Morgan le Fou, meadowfairy, Depression blue and 4 others like this
Height: 5ft (short AF)
CW: Denial (fat AF)

heart-arrow-pixel.gifMy Adventures with High Restriction - Daily Fatty Photos - drop by and give me some mojo! cat-pixel.gif

018628ea653a31e3343aea1c0b8eebb7.gif

#106 89vision

89vision

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:54 PM

This is so fucking annoying!  And doesn't take into account someone's own personal choice.  Maybe I already had my quota of sweets for the day?  Maybe the portion size you cut is just too much for me?  Maybe I'm actually not even hungry?  If someone feels bad about themselves for someone ELSE'S food choice, there is a big problem there.  I can't stand nasty ass frosting on your cheap supermarket cake and I'm being polite by taking ANY of it honestly.  I will splurge for good dessert but not that.  Also, these people who continue to eat unhealthy constantly are the FIRST ones to say they are overweight due to some imbalance or thing out of their control.  

• Morgan le Fou, Duplo, meadowfairy and 6 others like this

#107 砕ける

砕ける

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:17 AM

i mean i get this, truly, and i have always felt pressure to not eat well or healthy, because of this. but now my contamination anxiety is causing me to not care so much.

but i feel like, it's sadder that our society itself is so uncaring. we literally are propagandised terrible diets every single day because it is all about money. real science on healthy food is buried for propaganda. the american government literally made a dietary guideline with 'dairy product' as an entire portion of the guideline, and meat too, because there is a lobby who demanded it. the sugar industry is why they have a guideline for fats and sugars too. those categories do not need to exist AT ALL. that isn't the only government with an issue like this, but it's the most egregious example i can think of. the FDA is a horrific branch of government when you look into it.

and those groups have so much influence that absolute garbage is cheaper than food that will keep you alive. and then other groups fund the cure all pills so they don't like proactive approach to medicine and health, they want to sell their diet pills, their heart disease pills, their cholesterol pills.

it's such a fucking sad state of affairs. i can't blame most people for being ignorant, because it's hard to know what to believe when the people you are told to trust, you're told can be trusted, are bought off propagandists who do not care about you or your health.

and because of this you end up with people who are obese but are critically malnourished, which should be contradictory, or should only be due to some extremely obscure digestive disorder, or just impossible otherwise, but it's not. it's not in this society. and that is horrific. and these people don't know that's why they want to eat more food either, they just feel insatiable, and often, locked into a behavioural loop.

and then some people are not locked into that loop because of that, but because of a social norm, or for emotional reasons, just like any other ED, and i empathise with these reasons too. a lot of people said quarantine made them "bored eat"... but honestly? it's more likely that they felt locked away while a virus and economy spiralled out of their control, and they reacted to eating and trying to block it out with netflix binges. but many people don't want to think about it that way because that is admitting a problem, and we don't like doing that...

it's so fucking depressing. i don't look down on people for this. i feel upset for people because of this. i understand the anger y'all feel too, even if i feel it's a bit misdirected, but there's an entire systemic problem here when you get into it, it's so bad.
  • exul, mirrikitty, mashunya and 8 others like this

agender they/them ✦ vegan ✦ 26 years ✦ 5'4" ✦ 50.5kg/111.3lb(28.05.20) ✦ ednos ✦ anxiety/avpd ✦ autistic

#108 8Billion

8Billion

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1408 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:44 PM

I feel like people that force food onto others are severely insecure and unhappy with themselves

• Duplo, 89vision, meadowfairy and 4 others like this
"Set your mind on a definite goal and observe how quickly the world stands aside to let you pass"

#109 blue.skies

blue.skies

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:59 AM

the whole "health at every size" movement makes me wanna gouge my eyes out. it's SUCH a lie! ur not healthy when you're obese
  • Kaereot(carat)carrot, Depression blue, ~Dimples~ and 1 other like this

#110 Cathrine.

Cathrine.

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:18 AM

I feel like this really depends on how you live. I live in Norway and here I honestly feel more judged for eating unhealthy food than healthy food. Everyone exercises and eats clean. And being just a little overweight I feel like the odd one out (even though I have a nice figure, lol).

I'm sure if I lived in the U.S. I would be considered "normal" weight/size, but here I have to buy the largest size in some clothing stores (they stop at 42 which is actually supposed to be a size medium, but they don't size that way!?), even though I'm not really that big?! Obviously we have obese and overweight people too, but most of them are at least middle aged... 

#111 Ismene

Ismene

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1359 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:23 AM

Definitely agree! Makes me so mad that people pressure me to eat, but it wouldn't ever be okay to pressure people not to. Plus just the fact that we're surrounded by so much food in consumer societies, more than we could ever need - it's kind of disgusting, to be honest. And don't even get me started on people who feed their kids this rubbish and cause them a whole ton of health issues as well...

• flickerbeat likes this

179cm/5'10"

HW: 70/154

SW: 59/130

LW: 54.5/120

CW: 68/150

GW 1:57/125

GW2: 53/117

GW3: 50/110

GW4: 47/103

UGW: 45/99

Check out my art thread here

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d1b2515674a6c4d6f

giphy.gif

tumblr_oqq349nyhp1r75gygo4_1280.gif?w=60

giphy.gif

No matter how hard I try, I can't wash the sin from my throat

#112 glyxblood

glyxblood

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

the whole "health at every size" movement makes me wanna gouge my eyes out. it's SUCH a lie! ur not healthy when you're obese

Since when has being obese become "every size"? Every size means just that: every size. Yes, that includes underweight people as well. 

Not recognizing that HAES is for everyone is especially ironic within an eating disorder community where threads about "harm reduction" and "staying health while being underweight/restricting" pop up regularly.

That said I wonder how many non-EDed people might rant about "Stupid, 500 cals eating, purging, underweight, eating disordered idiots with their bullcrap about harm reduction when all of this is clearly so UNHEALTHY!!!"...

#113 glyxblood

glyxblood

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 920 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:58 AM

I feel like this really depends on how you live. I live in Norway and here I honestly feel more judged for eating unhealthy food than healthy food. 

I think it depends on your immediate environment if your behavior and looks are seen as "normal" or "abnormal". 

"Normal" is what the majority of the people around you looks like and behaves like. This doesn't only apply to food, weight and exercise but to every other aspect of your life.

• meadowfairy likes this

#114 DEICIDE

DEICIDE

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • 1494 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

Here in Scandinavia - everyone and their dog is obsessed with fitness, nutrition and healthy lifestyle
  • earlgreytea, ~Dimples~ and Delicato_lightness like this

#115 Kaereot(carat)carrot

Kaereot(carat)carrot

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1619 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:41 AM

Have you guys seen that Halo Top commercial with the fat woman saying "I should lose weight" "I should eat salads" while dancing around the house with Halo Top ice cream in her hands?

• Depression blue, Abbey84 and flickerbeat like this

5HRgpe.gif

My Accountability:https://www.myproana...accountability/

#116 Abbey84

Abbey84

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1534 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:40 AM

Have you guys seen that Halo Top commercial with the fat woman saying "I should lose weight" "I should eat salads" while dancing around the house with Halo Top ice cream in her hands?

Yes and it's disgusting

Won't put me off Halo Top though I love the peanut butter cup.
  • Kaereot(carat)carrot and Depression blue like this
CW 80lbs bmi 16.2 gw 78lbs

#117 WineGum

WineGum

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1141 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:54 AM

I'm not someone whose very opinionated or outspoken but fuck this topic really gets me heated. I'm so appalled by the direction society is heading in.

I had a friend who was pretty overweight, she'd been instructed by her doctor to lose weight. She told me to try and be firm with her to stop her from ordering so much crap when we go out but she always gets on my case when I try to. "Why cant you just compromise for once?" yeah if compromising means shovelling down greasy kebabs then no thank you. 

I agree with what one user posted above though, of course no one should be shamed for their weight or made to feel less than. But just like anorexia shouldn't be normalised neither should obesity, if Eugenia cooney receives numerous comments about how she should try and get better then so should every obese youtuber. 

• Anarkissed and Abbey84 like this

5'4 // ugw: 45kg

#118 SickOrSane

SickOrSane

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:51 PM

If Nickocado and the babysitter from Cat in the Hat had a baby...

I can’t believe people would think that? Like if you’re that pissed at the world to be triggered by someone’s appetite, why are you serving the cake? It’s as simple as taking you’re own advice and saying “no thanks”, or is that considered sexist as well? Reminds me of the old “you get what you get and you don’t get upset” rhyme from school.

I think people can do what they want,
I’m not exactly a shining beacon of health myself and if they’re happy, who am I to judge? But we all deserve to know how to be healthy, know what the options are and how to care for ourselves.

I think the health issues regarding food and weight here in AU have less to do with having adequate information than it is to do with access and the fact people aren’t aware there’s an issue. As consumers, I don’t think we’re taught to recognise the problem, or to want to change. I think the whole “treat yo self” mentality and HAES movement originally were great but they’ve been mauled and puppeteered in the name of money for fat cats and businesses to sell their products.

I don’t understand why it’s ok to have a seriously life threatening higher bmi with actual medical complications but as soon as you’re underweight, everyone loses their shit. My Nanna is morbidly obese and is dying, yet that is ok. My brother is a drug addict, my uncle an alcoholic but despite their ill health, no one bothers to help. They don’t get locked up and sent to rehab or psych without consent?
  • Morgan le Fou, Abbey84 and flickerbeat like this

#119 OMANKO

OMANKO

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4205 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

I hate this video so. fucking. much. The smug condescending attitude makes me wanna rage. I swear this woman just cannot comprehend someone not wanting to eat a massive fucking slice of cake every time it's offered to them. What the fuck? 

• Morgan le Fou, Depression blue, Abbey84 and 2 others like this

chronic orthorexia + an/bp

IBS-A, adhd and bipolar ii

taking life one day at a time, currently relapsing

711ac3ac54046c9beeced563b7e05693.jpg

height   5'6

LW       101

HW       135

CW       108

accountability

my tumblr

#120 activecheesecake

activecheesecake

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3407 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

damn imagine caring about your health and asking for a smaller portion of cake in 2020. NO, that's not allowed because it's sexist, fatphobic and is showing that you're superior than everyone lmfaooo i can'ttttt

• Morgan le Fou, Depression blue, Abbey84 and 2 others like this

BODY CHECKS

ACCOUNTABILITY

dcgcvo9-699cc567-1669-446f-a1ab-80b72e25

SW: 165lbs CW: 105 (BMI 16.7)

Last weigh in: 2020/08/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users