Society has got out of hand with their weight. - Page 7 - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Society has got out of hand with their weight.

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#121 Kaereot(carat)carrot

Kaereot(carat)carrot

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:24 PM

I saw this video that was pure cancer where this lady was saying that refusing cake was a microaggression. Oh fuck I found it. Watching this shit made me lose hundreds of braincells: 

I'm trying to figure out if this video is satire or are they actually being serious?

• Morgan le Fou likes this

5HRgpe.gif

My Accountability:https://www.myproana...accountability/

#122 Morgan le Fou

Morgan le Fou

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2701 posts
  • LocationEast Coast Beast Coast

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:23 PM

I'm trying to figure out if this video is satire or are they actually being serious?

Unfortunately, it's dead serious. And by dead, I mean these women are going to be dead before they hit 40. 

• Depression blue, relaxingterror, Abbey84 and 1 other like this

Height: Between 5'3" and 5'4"

HW: 135

LW: 74

CW: Hambeast

GW: Ghost

Send me a buddy request on eatingdisordercentral.com!

#123 Kaereot(carat)carrot

Kaereot(carat)carrot

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1619 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:34 PM

Unfortunately, it's dead serious. And by dead, I mean these women are going to be dead before they hit 40. 

We’ll it’s  pretty surprising how long fat people live. My aunt is 50 and has been obese since childhood. My grandma is almost 70 and is obese.

5HRgpe.gif

My Accountability:https://www.myproana...accountability/

#124 Morgan le Fou

Morgan le Fou

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2701 posts
  • LocationEast Coast Beast Coast

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:38 PM

We’ll it’s  pretty surprising how long fat people live. My aunt is 50 and has been obese since childhood. My grandma is almost 70 and is obese.

I was exaggerating. But, it's a scientific fact that morbidly obese people don't live as long as people at healthy weights and their quality of life is much lower at a much younger age. E.g. my best friend, who is now morbidly obese unfortunately, can't skateboard or walk on the beach anymore because it hurts her knees too much. She's only 24. 

• Anarkissed, JManskald and Abbey84 like this

Height: Between 5'3" and 5'4"

HW: 135

LW: 74

CW: Hambeast

GW: Ghost

Send me a buddy request on eatingdisordercentral.com!

#125 gourleygirl

gourleygirl

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:32 AM

If it upsets you greatly I recommend saving to move to an urban center in the northern part of the country, everyone is slim and conscious of their diet and fast food for work lunch is not the norm.

weight.png

#126 skinnyhoe

skinnyhoe

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3558 posts
  • Location💇🏻‍♀️🍕☀️

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:18 AM

i just watched some videos with people of different body types and it was shocking how big they were, some of them. and i think they feel normal, just unaccepted. i feel sorry for them because they only harm themselves. and nobody can change that. i need to gather healthier food too. i just am pmssing and right now i have the appetite for unhealthy stuff.
  • JManskald and relaxingterror like this

#127 amien

amien

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:41 PM

I saw this video that was pure cancer where this lady was saying that refusing cake was a microaggression. Oh fuck I found it. Watching this shit made me lose hundreds of braincells: 

that's an underwhelming ass cake tho, no wonder people don't wanna eat it

• Morgan le Fou, activecheesecake, JManskald and 2 others like this

cw: 54.5 kg

tumblr_pr6pbvrdgS1rxpq74o6_540.gif

#128 Abbey84

Abbey84

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1534 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:37 AM

that's an underwhelming ass cake tho, no wonder people don't wanna eat it

Hahaha yeah it's not worth the calories so I'll pass
  • amien, JManskald and Depression blue like this
CW 80lbs bmi 16.2 gw 78lbs

#129 relaxingterror

relaxingterror

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:37 AM

I was exaggerating. But, it's a scientific fact that morbidly obese people don't live as long as people at healthy weights and their quality of life is much lower at a much younger age. E.g. my best friend, who is now morbidly obese unfortunately, can't skateboard or walk on the beach anymore because it hurts her knees too much. She's only 24.

The amount of young people I see with degenerative issues due to their weight (from diet+lifestyle) is shocking and appalling tbh
  • Morgan le Fou, JManskald, NLP and 1 other like this

Currently a fat piece of shit.

CW: 118lb

LW: 115lb

GW: 106lb

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering."

https://tthoughtsexp...ixsite.com/home

#130 Explosion-san

Explosion-san

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

Intuitive eating works providing refined/manufactured foods are not available. If all you have available is unprocessed grains (i.e. whole brown rice, barley, etc), meat, fish, vegetables and dairy, you can eat to satisfaction and 99% of people won't have the weight problems they do today. The issue is when you have huge amounts of highly refined grains, seed oils, sugar, etc. available it gets around our hormonal systems that evolved to keep us at a certain weight.

• Morgan le Fou, Anarkissed, NicotineCrash and 6 others like this

AmazingFabulousBackswimmer-size_restrict

Explosion!

Male

Height: 6'1.5"

HW: 275lbs

CW: 198lbs

LW: 185lbs

Currently doing a cut

UGW: No idea? Flash a V8 is the goal, being 180lbs would probably help.

#131 rainy.day

rainy.day

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:59 PM

This thread is wild, I'm glad so many people have had the same experience as me. A few years back, I went from 155 pounds (overweight bmi - 26.6) to 118 (normal bmi for my height - 20.3). I didn't starve myself, and I wasn't underweight. I ate super healthy, but that was considered "disordered" by my friends and family who were mostly overweight or ate junk constantly. My family was "concerned" with me, and some of my friends basically stopped talking to me because I wouldn't binge eat ice cream with them anymore. I had a friend literally shove a piece of pizza in my face and get angry when I wouldn't eat it. Granted, I live in the US, but the fact that I constantly got comments on my weight (I was at a very normal weight like wtf???) is ridiculous. People who I was not friends with saw me around school and noticed my weight loss commented as well. They weren't like "congrats on your weight loss", they were like "wow you look skinny, be careful". I was a normal, HEALTHY weight. People just have no concept of what healthy is anymore, and it's so messed up. 

• earlgreytea, relaxingterror, Abbey84 and 3 others like this

159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105

GOAL 1: 135

GOAL 2: 125

GOAL 3: 117

GOAL 4: 110

UGW: 105

CW: 141 (very sad)

#132 relaxingterror

relaxingterror

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:39 PM

This thread is wild, I'm glad so many people have had the same experience as me. A few years back, I went from 155 pounds (overweight bmi - 26.6) to 118 (normal bmi for my height - 20.3). I didn't starve myself, and I wasn't underweight. I ate super healthy, but that was considered "disordered" by my friends and family who were mostly overweight or ate junk constantly. My family was "concerned" with me, and some of my friends basically stopped talking to me because I wouldn't binge eat ice cream with them anymore. I had a friend literally shove a piece of pizza in my face and get angry when I wouldn't eat it. Granted, I live in the US, but the fact that I constantly got comments on my weight (I was at a very normal weight like wtf???) is ridiculous. People who I was not friends with saw me around school and noticed my weight loss commented as well. They weren't like "congrats on your weight loss", they were like "wow you look skinny, be careful". I was a normal, HEALTHY weight. People just have no concept of what healthy is anymore, and it's so messed up.

My bulimia is at an all-time low... I feel like for the most part I am recovered. But I am very similar as above, eat clean, train hard, take my vitamins and I'm looked at by friends and family with worry and concern that I'm 'too lean' even though my BMI is also 20. I just don't binge eat and/or eat over my caloric needs and somehow this is seen as problematic. I do my best to just do me and not worry about what others think but to look at it from a third party perspective it just seems insane to me. Anyone outside of North America would see this criticism as a joke.
  • activecheesecake, Abbey84 and Small Asian Disappointment like this

Currently a fat piece of shit.

CW: 118lb

LW: 115lb

GW: 106lb

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering."

https://tthoughtsexp...ixsite.com/home

#133 NicotineCrash

NicotineCrash

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:53 PM

I sort of get what she's trying to say with the cake thing? like yeah it's bad that we equate morals and worth to food. but saying 'i'll just have a small piece please' isn't fatphobic, unless you make a thing about it, surely?

as someone who did the whole 'i'm fat and i'm fine' denial thing for a good few years, i wish wish wish that shit food (by which i mean calorie-dense, nutritionless food) wasn't so normalised. i do feel like a freak now compared to other people who will shovel it down at every meal and think nothing of it, while i'm agonising about having a few chips off my boyfriend's plate.

My bmi is 20 and i'm the thinnest person I know, all my best friends are fat and it's hard to talk about food with them (although mostly they know about my disordered eating so they're more forgiving, i always feel like i'm putting my foot in it). I wish people would believe that i genuinely do prefer fresh veg and whole grains to a big mac. When you put shit into your body you feel like shit.

My father is in his late 60s and doesn't like fast food, he eats well and properly- he grew up on meat and two veg sort of meals (his dad was big into growing veg in the garden), and it shows. He was always an optimal weight as I was growing up but is slightly overweight now just because he drinks ale and he's slowing down as he gets older. He's never worried about his weight in an unhealthy way, but he is gently aware about his diet. He's got it right imo, he knows how to cook, loves 'fresh' things and he's the sort of person who will just enjoy what he's eating, not stuff himself, and keep active. Imagine finding it that easy!

• relaxingterror, ambrosial16, Small Asian Disappointment and 2 others like this

Age 29
Height 5'4
EDNOS, Autism, anxiety
HW ~231 / 16st7 (spring '18 - BMI 39.6)
CW 118 / 8st6 (BMI 20.3)
GW1 116 / 8st4 (BMI 19.9)
Xmas GW 112 / 8st (BMI 19.2)
UGW 105 - 108 / 7st7 - 7st10 (BMI 18-18.5)  

tumblr lid1gjoAsX1qbratlo1 500

#134 Sanguine_Angel

Sanguine_Angel

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1678 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:47 PM

Ah man I pick healthy foods like a compulsion and still get ppl assuming I love fast foods and sweets when they see me at bmi 22+ times

I don’t like being viewed with food anyway. But with <200kcal ones I enjoy stares
Spoiler

5ft 8, 21 years old, ISTP

AN B/P d.

whatever

HW: 180 lbs, bmi 28.5 ..=-=-=-=-|=-=-=-=-=.. LW 106 lbs, bmi 16.7

#135 Jay2TheBones

Jay2TheBones

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:13 PM

Everything about this thread. Yesssssss

I hate the double standard. If I tell someone how crap their diet is, I'm a bully. But when they make fun of me for eating a pint of blueberries or a container of brussel sprouts, they're justified. I hate it. I agree with what others have said; perhaps I wouldn't be as hard on myself if society was harder on itself. If we glorified healthy eating the way we worship fast food and unhealthy bodies, maybe I wouldn't be so paranoid about it all.
Because at the end of the day, Ortho is my "recovery". If being normal means eating Jack in the Box every day for lunch, I don't want to be normal.
  • JManskald, relaxingterror and flickerbeat like this

#136 skinnyfor_ballet

skinnyfor_ballet

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:13 AM

I agree with all of this. I’m the concern and am unusual because I each mostly fruit and vegetables and am thinner than most. Meanwhile I’ve found vintage size 6 (I’m a size 4) that fit snug on me. We’ve gotten so much bigger that we’re use to it. A rib showing is concerning to friends and family but I think it should be the norm. Same as how when we stop being able to see my dogs rib cage we put him on a diet because he’s getting to heavy.
Even with the bmi scale, the healthy range is so large. It may be my ortho talking but I feel far more mobile, flexible efficient and easy at bmi 19 to bmi 21. I can’t imagine being bmi 24 and still being considered healthy. I would be sluggish at that weight.
Weight aside, this constant spiking of people blood sugar with crap, the constant mindless grazing with zero consideration for where that food is from, poisoning of the everyones gut bacteria no wonder we’re all so sick and depressed.

!!! When I was in high school, my mother would buy me vintage jeans off the internet and they would be a size 7, even though atm and then I was a size0/2. When I asked her why, that's exactly what she said; that sizing has changed to normalize being heavier and to make people feel better about themselves!!

• JManskald and Depression blue like this
*Accountability*

https://www.myproana...ew-years-2021/ 

SW: 115

CW:115

GW1:110

GW2:105

GW3:100

#137 JManskald

JManskald

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC, USA

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:30 AM

I keep hearing that healthy eating is fatphobic, that being vegan or vegetarian is a sign of an ED, etc., because my society has determined that stuffing oneself with McDonald’s and cake is woke and any other dietary habits constitute bullying fat people. I can’t stand it. If other people want to eat junk food, that’s on them. But I shouldn’t have to defend my healthy eating to others because they find it “oppressive.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • AmethystAna, Depression blue, Abbey84 and 1 other like this

Height: 5'6" CW: 114.6lbs (1/7/20) SW: 148 lbs LW: 106.8 lbs GW: 95 lbs

#138 rcanina

rcanina

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1414 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

!!! When I was in high school, my mother would buy me vintage jeans off the internet and they would be a size 7, even though atm and then I was a size0/2. When I asked her why, that's exactly what she said; that sizing has changed to normalize being heavier and to make people feel better about themselves!!

' vanity sizing '

• skinnyfor_ballet likes this

#139 SelSly

SelSly

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:47 PM

You know what is also sick. When you are admitted to hospital due to ed and low weight they give you some crap food like sweets in a mealplan. Why would they give us something that they wouldn’t recommend for normal patient.
Okay I now I am sick but when or if I go back to live without ed I would eat healthy and it’s not ortorexic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • JManskald and Depression blue like this

#140 redtree

redtree

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1306 posts
  • Locationin your hEEEeeaaad ZOMBIE ZOM BEH EH EH

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

I see less of this in bigger cities, but definitely have experienced this on multiple levels.

I recall many gatherings with my ex's family; some were a bit overweight and they constantly commented on how thin I was and that I'd disappear soon. 

The thing is, my bmi at the time was maybe...20? Pretty healthy, not noticeably underweight.

I think they did this, much like people in the south for making fun of you for eating healthier, because deep down there is shame about their own lack of good health...and a way to make themselves feel better is to poke fun at someone who only reminds them of their own shortcomings.

• Anarkissed, JManskald and Depression blue like this

gallery_4356_2145_32545.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users