Society has got out of hand with their weight. - Page 8 - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Society has got out of hand with their weight.

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#141 earlgreytea

earlgreytea

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:01 PM

Here in Scandinavia - everyone and their dog is obsessed with fitness, nutrition and healthy lifestyle

I need to move to scandinavia asap

• Morgan le Fou, JManskald, Depression blue and 2 others like this

stats stats stats bby

hw: 160 lb. (bmi 24.1) 

-----

cw: 136.4 lb. (bmi 20.5)

-----

gw1: 135 lb. (bmi 20.3)  //  gw2: 130 lb. (bmi 19.5)  //  ugw: 125 lb. (bmi 18.8)  

#142 collarbonedreamer

collarbonedreamer

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:02 PM

From my experience disordered eating and weight issues run rampant in the social and medical field.

I imagine it’s pretty easy to hide something when you are focused on helping other people. Plus, sometimes knowing all of the medical/social/emotional affects of something is a great way to justify to yourself. At least, that’s how I am ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegan for the animals, vegan for my body, vegan for the planet. But mostly for the animals.

Height: 5'1" 

CW: 103.6lbs BMI 19.6

GW1: 100lbs UGW: 95 BMI 17.9 

~ When she dreams she sees her bones ~

:mellow:108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 :D

#143 glyxblood

glyxblood

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

Plus, sometimes knowing all of the medical/social/emotional affects of something is a great way to justify to yourself.

It's so easy to skip meals because almost everyone seems to fo it. Also everyone seems to be on some kind of diet at least from time to time.

• collarbonedreamer likes this

#144 爱吃甜🍰

爱吃甜🍰

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationHangzhou, Zhejiang

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:12 AM

woah this thread has me shook. maybe it’s just my culture (Chinese), but i thought everyone around me was 2000% healthier than me. my entire family and school is extremely heath-conscious and most of my friends have skipped meals or eaten under 200 cals for lunch. i can’t imagine a household where eating like crap is the norm...
  • Morgan le Fou and FantasticHamplanet like this
💜💗🤍

5’4” | CW: 105 lbs

GW: 95 lbs | LW: 80-ish lbs | diagnosed AN 2018

#145 Flowish

Flowish

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Europe

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:09 AM

Can't blame it entirely on people tho. 90% of the food is processed and specially engineered to appeal to the our taste buds. Just thinking of it makes me shudder. It is like creating drugs. Also, the stores put all the crap first so it is easier to buy it. 

• relaxingterror likes this

Height: 5'1

SW: 120

CW: 108 

GW1: 110 

GW2: 105

UGW: 99

#146 Abbey84

Abbey84

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:29 AM

I need to move to scandinavia asap

Same. Or Japan lol. Try "you're fat shaming me" over there and see how you get on
  • Morgan le Fou, earlgreytea, Depression blue and 1 other like this
CW 80lbs bmi 16.2 gw 78lbs

#147 ℜ𝔦𝔫𝔞

ℜ𝔦𝔫𝔞

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:33 AM

Our body (and also our mind most of times) is underdeveloped regarding the food we have nowadays. What I mean is that we are not built to consume so much food, because we do not need it, we live on small amounts of food. Our body is still not used to eat so much and not lose weight, in time, it will most probably be, but not know. People are not aware of how much harm they cause themselves and to be honest, I do not really care about them. We cannot force them to have a good life so let them eat as much as they want. BUT, no one should blame the society because they are unhealthy and fat and also the society should not fat shame people. Their lives, they businesses...

giphy.gif

If I cannot bend Heaven
I will raise Hell

#148 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:44 AM

I saw this video that was pure cancer where this lady was saying that refusing cake was a microaggression. Oh fuck I found it. Watching this shit made me lose hundreds of braincells: 

[media][/media

*Rant time*

I'm a severely orthorexic turned anorexic/bulimic in recovery.

Weirdly enough I feel like she's semi right. Hear me out-

Something i've realized throughout my recovery journey is how tied to morality food truly has become & its really sad. It's one of the reasons that I eventually become so sick.

Even if someone REALLY WANTS some food being served at a public gathering, a lot of the times people will feel bad about themselves if they want to eat a normal or larger portion in front of others because of how they may be perceived. So they'll try to compromise with themselves & say "Oh I'm on a diet so I'll take a tiny half slice" outloud etc etc when in truth they want a sizeable piece but wont do it out of insecurity. They're afraid of being judged when in reality, its no one's fucking business. I was constantly shamed for my portions (even if they were normal healthy amounts for someone of my size & activity levels.) throughout my life & it affected me to the point of full blown anorexia & extreme OCD around food. It ruined my relationship with food & warped a lot of my perception which I still struggle with to this day. =/ It's still really hard for me to eat in front of people.

Now as for what the obnoxious lady is saying---If you're the one serving meals, I think its important to just respect people's personal decisions & just not say anything. You don't know people's lives & you don't know what they're going through. No one has the right to judge the size of anyone's meals of any size whether you're the eater or the server. It's okay for someone to eat a little more some days & its also okay for someone to eat a little less some days. For a healthy normal person with an appropriate relationship with food, It'll all balance out & they'll continue to maintain a healthy weight for themselves

I agree that society has this polarizing view these days of body positivity as a result of diet culture being in extremes for sure. To say that someone rejecting cake is the result of misogyny is a hell of a stretch in my opinion though. A lot of what this lady says is ridiculous but there is a small grain of truth to some of what she says

TLDR; Whether you're the server or eater, mind your fucking business.

( Random sidenote: The pre-recovery Ortho/ana/ocd bitch in me would just said something like "Oh no thanks! I dont eat cake. Too much sugar =] " & felt superior because I was a 99lbs wreck with brittle hair/aching joints & miserable with daily thoughts of suicide while everyone else in the room was average weight & up yet completely happy & satisfied with their existence. Now I just say no thank you lol)

***I'll be waiting for my notifications to blow up with responses from triggered orthos lmao

• Depression blue likes this

#149 Morgan le Fou

Morgan le Fou

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2701 posts
  • LocationEast Coast Beast Coast

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:46 AM

*Rant time*

I'm a severely orthorexic turned anorexic/bulimic in recovery.

Weirdly enough I feel like she's semi right. Hear me out-

Something i've realized throughout my recovery journey is how tied to morality food truly has become & its really sad. It's one of the reasons that I eventually become so sick.

Even if someone REALLY WANTS some food being served at a public gathering, a lot of the times people will feel bad about themselves if they want to eat a normal or larger portion in front of others because of how they may be perceived. So they'll try to compromise with themselves & say "Oh I'm on a diet so I'll take a tiny half slice" outloud etc etc when in truth they want a sizeable piece but wont do it out of insecurity. They're afraid of being judged when in reality, its no one's fucking business. I was constantly shamed for my portions (even if they were normal healthy amounts for someone of my size & activity levels.) throughout my life & it affected me to the point of full blown anorexia & extreme OCD around food. It ruined my relationship with food & warped a lot of my perception which I still struggle with to this day. =/ It's still really hard for me to eat in front of people.

Now as for what the obnoxious lady is saying---If you're the one serving meals, I think its important to just respect people's personal decisions & just not say anything. You don't know people's lives & you don't know what they're going through. No one has the right to judge the size of anyone's meals of any size whether you're the eater or the server. It's okay for someone to eat a little more some days & its also okay for someone to eat a little less some days. For a healthy normal person with an appropriate relationship with food, It'll all balance out & they'll continue to maintain a healthy weight for themselves

I agree that society has this polarizing view these days of body positivity as a result of diet culture being in extremes for sure. To say that someone rejecting cake is the result of misogyny is a hell of a stretch in my opinion though. A lot of what this lady says is ridiculous but there is a small grain of truth to some of what she says

( Random sidenote: The pre-recovery Ortho/ana/ocd bitch in me would just said something like "Oh no thanks! I dont eat cake. Too much sugar =] " & felt superior because I was a 99lbs wreck with brittle hair/aching joints & miserable with daily thoughts of suicide while everyone else in the room was average weight & up yet completely happy & satisfied with their existence. Now I just say no thank you lol)

***I'll be waiting for my notifications to blow up with responses from triggered orthos lmao

I don't like the way cake tastes and always ask for a small slice because that shit is nasty. According to the video, not liking cake or being full already is a microaggression. I get what you're saying, but I don't agree with any part of the video.

• Anarkissed likes this

Height: Between 5'3" and 5'4"

HW: 135

LW: 74

CW: Hambeast

GW: Ghost

Send me a buddy request on eatingdisordercentral.com!

#150 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:45 PM

I don't like the way cake tastes and always ask for a small slice because that shit is nasty. According to the video, not liking cake or being full already is a microaggression. I get what you're saying, but I don't agree with any part of the video.

I totally get you. If you don't like what's being served, then just say no thank you & go about your life lol. 

At what point in the video does she specifically say that not liking cake or being full already is a microaggression?---I'm not being rude or snapping back at all I genuinely just seem to have missed where she specifically said that.

#151 4mbigu0us

4mbigu0us

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1200 posts
  • LocationPerpetually falling down a bottomless pit.

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:21 PM

When is the last time you have seen an advertisement for an apple or for some green beans??

The grocery store I work at actually ran a pretty frequent ad over the PA system for fresh local cherries during the springtime. It was refreshing, since every other ad was for processed food, particularly popular brands of junk. I wish we'd advertise produce more often. There just isn't the same ad funding for healthy food.

#152 ♥lacuna♥

♥lacuna♥

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1167 posts
  • Locationprobably in my room

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:21 PM

i agree with everything on this thread wow

Height:5'6

149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 128

127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108

107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99

#153 bitingneedles

bitingneedles

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:42 PM

I thought I was the only one who thought this way. And no it’s not “body shaming” or being “fatphobic” either. People are so ignorant to what they put in their bodies.
  • ♥lacuna♥ and FantasticHamplanet like this

#154 ♥lacuna♥

♥lacuna♥

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1167 posts
  • Locationprobably in my room

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:52 PM

The most disturbing part about society's "Healthy At Every Size" movement is that it's exceptionally similar to anorexia being promoted as a healthy lifestyle. Both are just coping mechanisms: they provide a way to defer pain, romanticize life-threatening issues, and provide the emotional support necessary to continue the disorder without critical assessment. However, the "Healthy At Every Size"  movement is somewhat worse than pro-ana in that it has managed to piggy-back its way onto legitimate social justice struggles, re-framed its pain deference as a genuine issue of discrimination, and even compared the teasing fat people face to hate crimes. Not only is the subject exempt from the emotional pain that would naturally come from being rejected by a crush or being unable to sit in a standard bus seat, but they have the ability to righteously demand  these things as human rights.

• Grim, 4mbigu0us and FantasticHamplanet like this

Height:5'6

149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 128

127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108

107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99

#155 Morgan le Fou

Morgan le Fou

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2701 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:22 PM

I totally get you. If you don't like what's being served, then just say no thank you & go about your life lol. 

At what point in the video does she specifically say that not liking cake or being full already is a microaggression?---I'm not being rude or snapping back at all I genuinely just seem to have missed where she specifically said that.

The video is all about how asking for a smaller slice of cake or refusing cake is a microaggression from what I recall. I really don't want to rewatch it though so I could be wrong.

#156 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:34 AM

The video is all about how asking for a smaller slice of cake or refusing cake is a microaggression from what I recall. I really don't want to rewatch it though so I could be wrong.

I rewatched it several times & unless i'm reaally out of it (which i typically am due to my low caloric intake lol) i didnt see her specifically saying that. She definitely is adding her snarky humor to the video. I think the point shes mainly trying to make is how tied to morality food has become. So much to a point where people have to vocalize how little they want to eat a desert just to not be judged by society when they have every ritht to do whatever tf they wany

Again- I understand a lot of the points shes making but for her to act like its *SUCH* an inconvenience to cut a smaller piece of cake for someone is just as obnoxious as the person who purposely proclaims their dietary preferences soley to bash anyone who wants dessert when its offered.<<(Unfortunately when i was much more into my pre-treatment ortho/ana days I would do this ofen to comfort myself)

#157 Morgan le Fou

Morgan le Fou

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2701 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:00 PM

I rewatched it several times & unless i'm reaally out of it (which i typically am due to my low caloric intake lol) i didnt see her specifically saying that. She definitely is adding her snarky humor to the video. I think the point shes mainly trying to make is how tied to morality food has become. So much to a point where people have to vocalize how little they want to eat a desert just to not be judged by society when they have every ritht to do whatever tf they wany

Again- I understand a lot of the points shes making but for her to act like its *SUCH* an inconvenience to cut a smaller piece of cake for someone is just as obnoxious as the person who purposely proclaims their dietary preferences soley to bash anyone who wants dessert when its offered.<<(Unfortunately when i was much more into my pre-treatment ortho/ana days I would do this ofen to comfort myself)

I just rewatched it and the whole thing is calling asking for a smaller piece of cake a "cake related fatphobic incident" or "CRFI". 

• loony26 and Depression blue like this

#158 AmethystAna

AmethystAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:11 PM

*Rant time*

I hate to waste food so I am going to ask for a small piece if that is what I want. I was actually shocked by this video because my decision to eat a certain amount of cake has never been about anyone but myself. No one in my family would take it that way either. I didn’t take it that way when people asked me to cut a smaller piece. Maybe there are some damn passive aggressive people out there but to me it just says more about her insecurities that she reads it that way.

Now the quote above. That is really what we need to remember

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Morgan le Fou likes this

146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137

136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 

128 127 126 125 124 123

122 121 120 119 118 

117 116 115 114

113 112 111 

Gluten free-veg*n accountability

#159 AmethystAna

AmethystAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:14 PM

I just rewatched it and the whole thing is calling asking for a smaller piece of cake a "cake related fatphobic incident" or "CRFI".

Yep she basically says s that every one asking for a smaller slice of cake is saying these things even though they never said any such thing. When is a slice of cake not a slice of cake? When you ask her to cut a smaller slice. Apparently.

• Morgan le Fou likes this

146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137

136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 

128 127 126 125 124 123

122 121 120 119 118 

117 116 115 114

113 112 111 

Gluten free-veg*n accountability

#160 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:17 AM

i can’t imagine a household where eating like crap is the norm...

Clearly you've never been to North America xD

Same. Or Japan lol. Try "you're fat shaming me" over there and see how you get on

Oh yea the Japanese are brutal. They put up with none of that social justice.  I've been to Japan several times & I'm moving back in the spring for work. I know my anorexia is going to come back full swing once I get there.... ;_;

Yep she basically says s that every one asking for a smaller slice of cake is saying these things even though they never said any such thing. When is a slice of cake not a slice of cake? When you ask her to cut a smaller slice. Apparently.

Lol that's where I think she does get a little ridiculous. Again, both parties just need to respect one another's decisions or stfu

^^

• Depression blue and Abbey84 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users