Society has got out of hand with their weight. - Page 8 - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Society has got out of hand with their weight.

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 earlgreytea

earlgreytea

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:01 PM

Here in Scandinavia - everyone and their dog is obsessed with fitness, nutrition and healthy lifestyle

I need to move to scandinavia asap

• JManskald, Depression blue and Abbey84 like this

stats stats stats bby

hw: 160 lb. (bmi 24.1) 

-----

cw: 138.0 lb. (bmi 20.7)

-----

gw1: 135 lb. (bmi 20.3)  //  gw2: 130 lb. (bmi 19.5)  //  ugw: 125 lb. (bmi 18.8)  

#142 collarbonedreamer

collarbonedreamer

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:02 PM

From my experience disordered eating and weight issues run rampant in the social and medical field.

I imagine it’s pretty easy to hide something when you are focused on helping other people. Plus, sometimes knowing all of the medical/social/emotional affects of something is a great way to justify to yourself. At least, that’s how I am ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegan for the animals, vegan for my body, vegan for the planet. But mostly for the animals.

Height: 5'1" 

CW: 108lbs BMI 20.5

GW1: 100lbs UGW: 95 BMI 17.9 

~ When she dreams she sees her bones ~

:mellow:108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 :D

#143 glyxblood

glyxblood

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

Plus, sometimes knowing all of the medical/social/emotional affects of something is a great way to justify to yourself.

It's so easy to skip meals because almost everyone seems to fo it. Also everyone seems to be on some kind of diet at least from time to time.

• collarbonedreamer likes this

#144 爱吃甜🍰

爱吃甜🍰

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:12 AM

woah this thread has me shook. maybe it’s just my culture (Chinese), but i thought everyone around me was 2000% healthier than me. my entire family and school is extremely heath-conscious and most of my friends have skipped meals or eaten under 200 cals for lunch. i can’t imagine a household where eating like crap is the norm...

#145 Flowish

Flowish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Europe

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:09 AM

Can't blame it entirely on people tho. 90% of the food is processed and specially engineered to appeal to the our taste buds. Just thinking of it makes me shudder. It is like creating drugs. Also, the stores put all the crap first so it is easier to buy it. 

• relaxingterror likes this

Height: 5'1

SW: 120

CW: 108 

GW1: 110 

GW2: 105

UGW: 99

#146 Abbey84

Abbey84

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:29 AM

I need to move to scandinavia asap

Same. Or Japan lol. Try "you're fat shaming me" over there and see how you get on
  • earlgreytea and Depression blue like this

#147 ℜ𝔦𝔫𝔞

ℜ𝔦𝔫𝔞

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:33 AM

Our body (and also our mind most of times) is underdeveloped regarding the food we have nowadays. What I mean is that we are not built to consume so much food, because we do not need it, we live on small amounts of food. Our body is still not used to eat so much and not lose weight, in time, it will most probably be, but not know. People are not aware of how much harm they cause themselves and to be honest, I do not really care about them. We cannot force them to have a good life so let them eat as much as they want. BUT, no one should blame the society because they are unhealthy and fat and also the society should not fat shame people. Their lives, they businesses...

giphy.gif

If I cannot bend Heaven
I will raise Hell

#148 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:44 AM

I saw this video that was pure cancer where this lady was saying that refusing cake was a microaggression. Oh fuck I found it. Watching this shit made me lose hundreds of braincells: 

[media][/media

*Rant time*

I'm a severely orthorexic turned anorexic/bulimic in recovery.

Weirdly enough I feel like she's semi right. Hear me out-

Something i've realized throughout my recovery journey is how tied to morality food truly has become & its really sad. It's one of the reasons that I eventually become so sick.

Even if someone REALLY WANTS some food being served at a public gathering, a lot of the times people will feel bad about themselves if they want to eat a normal or larger portion in front of others because of how they may be perceived. So they'll try to compromise with themselves & say "Oh I'm on a diet so I'll take a tiny half slice" outloud etc etc when in truth they want a sizeable piece but wont do it out of insecurity. They're afraid of being judged when in reality, its no one's fucking business. I was constantly shamed for my portions (even if they were normal healthy amounts for someone of my size & activity levels.) throughout my life & it affected me to the point of full blown anorexia & extreme OCD around food. It ruined my relationship with food & warped a lot of my perception which I still struggle with to this day. =/ It's still really hard for me to eat in front of people.

Now as for what the obnoxious lady is saying---If you're the one serving meals, I think its important to just respect people's personal decisions & just not say anything. You don't know people's lives & you don't know what they're going through. No one has the right to judge the size of anyone's meals of any size whether you're the eater or the server. It's okay for someone to eat a little more some days & its also okay for someone to eat a little less some days. For a healthy normal person with an appropriate relationship with food, It'll all balance out & they'll continue to maintain a healthy weight for themselves

I agree that society has this polarizing view these days of body positivity as a result of diet culture being in extremes for sure. To say that someone rejecting cake is the result of misogyny is a hell of a stretch in my opinion though. A lot of what this lady says is ridiculous but there is a small grain of truth to some of what she says

TLDR; Whether you're the server or eater, mind your fucking business.

( Random sidenote: The pre-recovery Ortho/ana/ocd bitch in me would just said something like "Oh no thanks! I dont eat cake. Too much sugar =] " & felt superior because I was a 99lbs wreck with brittle hair/aching joints & miserable with daily thoughts of suicide while everyone else in the room was average weight & up yet completely happy & satisfied with their existence. Now I just say no thank you lol)

***I'll be waiting for my notifications to blow up with responses from triggered orthos lmao

• Depression blue likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users