Is this a new forum, what is ARFID anyway? Can someone explain? - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Is this a new forum, what is ARFID anyway? Can someone explain?

10 replies to this topic

#1 ItsBoshyTime

ItsBoshyTime

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

MaleInsidiousGilamonster-size_restrictedgiphy.gif

#2 skinn-annd-bonnes

skinn-annd-bonnes

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationChewandswallow

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:40 PM

Idk if it’s new. I think it might be. It stands for avoidant restrictive food intake disorder. It’s similar to anorexia in the sense that you avoid food, but it’s not to control your weight.
  • hungryb0nes and jpi332 like this
¿

#3 90isthemagicnumber

90isthemagicnumber

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:37 PM

I actually was one of the people asking for an ARFID forum so I'll explain. It can actually present a variety of different ways, some of which are similar to anorexia (low calorie consumption, avoiding certain foods, losing weight (or in the case of young children, not reaching their expected weight for their age)), but as skinn-annd-bonnes said, it is not related to body image or to control weight (and in some cases it's not intentional, either). It can involve restricting food, like in anorexia, or restricting groups of food, such as not eating vegetables or fruits. It can be for a variety of reasons - phobias like fear of choking or vomiting, sensory sensitivity (common in people on the autism spectrum), extremely picky eating, or just a lack of interest in food. It can lead to complications similar to anorexia, or in the case of restricting types of food rather than food in general, nutritional deficiencies. My sister is not diagnosed but she displays extremely picky eating, she has eaten mostly bland foods like bread, sweets, and cheese her entire life, she refuses to eat most fruits, meats, or vegetables. As a result she is iron deficient. She refuses to change her diet despite attempts at intervention. However, she does not display the typical signs of an eating disorder in terms of body image distortion or intentional behaviors to control her weight. But if that is ARFID, that is only one example. Like I said, there are many different types of ARFID and it is a new eating disorder as of the DSM-5 so people are still finding out more about it, and I'm not an expert so I could be totally wrong about my sister.

• Morrigan, something-extraordinary, blueopalsong and 7 others like this

Diagnosis: Atypical anorexia nervosa with some b/p

Currently recovering(ish?), but that can change depending on my mood and circumstances

I also have OCD, GAD, major depression w/psychotic symptoms, Autism Spectrum Disorder

HW: 191 lbs (29.0)

CW: Unknown, I haven't been weighed since I had a mental breakdown finding out I was at my HW. I hope I'm below my HW.

LW (April 2018): 115 lbs (16.98)

GW1: 110 lbs (16.24)

GW2: 100 lbs (14.77)

UGW: 90 lbs (13.29)

It's always best when the light is off

I am the pick in the ice
Do not cry out or hit the alarm
You know we're friends till we die

#4 puzzlepi

puzzlepi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:41 AM

I have ARFID. There are three majorly recognized subtypes—sensory issues, reduced/lack of appetite, traumatic experience relating to food—but people can definitely fit multiple categories or just the more general definition of avoidance/categorical restriction. I have a lot of sensory issues (mostly because of texture) with foods; for example I don’t like things mixed (surprise there’s a crunchy piece of celery in your tuna sandwich), or just certain textures in general (grapes when I bite them, the outside of oranges, bread with seeds, onions, etc). Smooth and uniform is my favourite food texture, which thankfully fits to „healthier“ things like butternut squash and applesauce. I also have a fluctuating appetite, and since being diagnosed with a plethora of food allergies following some nasty reactions (think puke, mostly) I also don‘t even want to „trial“ some new foods as they might make me feel icky in a way I can‘t control.
ARFID and undiagnosed anxieties and other challenges led to me losing a bunch of weight, and a short hospital stay, and things have been mixed since then. It’s a bit easier, having a name for what I deal with (added to the DSM in 2013), but harder because now I’m a lot more conscious of weight and food stuff at a different level. Sometimes I get excited about recovery, or adding a „new“ food, but sometimes my brain starts twisting into more Ana behaviours, like wishing I could be smaller again or just being uncomfortable with food stuff/weight gain/maintenance. As a Dx, ARFID doesn’t include body image issues, but EDs can be fluid so....
  • sickofthishell, hungryb0nes and 《VULGAR》 like this

#5 CinderellaSkeleton

CinderellaSkeleton

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

I am also diagnosed with ARFID, but mine comes from dealing with childhood trauma. I have a lot of food related anxieties and have a pretty long list of foods that if I eat them they will give me panic attacks. I used to be afraid of sticking out or saying no to foods I didn't want, so I would eat them anyway and then full on panic later, which lead to exercise addiction and laxative abuse because I just wanted "it" gone. I was really recently diagnosed so I'm still honestly learning to identify all the ways this affects my life. I'm 27 and was in denial about having an ED for a really long time since I'm not underweight and had the typical "I don't look sick so I'm fine" mentality. 

• 90isthemagicnumber likes this

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all."

Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

nastia-liukin-bars.jpg

#6 grandma kai

grandma kai

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Locationkurt cobain's basement

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:10 AM

ok i think i might have arfid then. my entire life i've been an extremely picky eater. i have i major fear of vomiting and choking and i don't eat milk or dairy. i eat the same three foods everyday. i also hate certain textures/ temps of food. eg: hot + soft. im glad you talked about this. i would have never known

• CinderellaSkeleton likes this

they/them

cw: 123

gw: 79.5

lw: 99

giphy.gif

#7 Lil Miss Strawb

Lil Miss Strawb

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1114 posts
  • LocationProbably asleep

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:30 PM

Hmm interesting. I might of had this when I was a small child :/ 

I liked cheesy stuff like macaroni and cheese but I wasted some of every meal I ate even macaroni cheese. I used to lie and say I had a stomach ache to get out of finishing it. At my mums she'd be angry when i did this so Id be sat for hours whining and refusing to finish the food.

Couldnt tolerate any spice despite being half asian and my dad always trying to give us curry.

I used to look extremely close up at my food at tiny particles and be put off suddenly seeing it as dirty. 

I was underweight but not bothered or noticing of my weight

Not until 10ish when my dad one day said he was worried about my weight to which my mum said "its just baby fat its fine" and I looked at my legs and thought "wow I AM fat" 

Ever since that day I had body dysmorphia severely and saw myself as extremely fat in my head. I would say it was more extreme than now that Im actually bulimic. 

When I moved in with my dad I developed anorexia quite quickly and was enabled/encouraged. This was when I got to my LW. Have had either anorexia or bulimia since then for years and seen more mental health workers than I can count.

Could I of possibly had AFRID that developed into anorexia due to the things I said above??

original.gif

original.gif

0b6aa9ab09295bee6d132910573cb8aa.gif

giphy.gif

anime-girl-computer-gif-5.gif

#8 something-extraordinary

something-extraordinary

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:34 AM

I probably have ARFID. I'm also autistic so mine is more sensory-related. 

And then I developed an eating disorder. 

🌺 Body Stats 🌺

Spoiler

🌺 Goals 🌺

Spoiler

🌺 General Stats 🌺

Spoiler

#9 Bucketfullofeds2

Bucketfullofeds2

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:44 PM

Huh I've been told I didn't eat all day as a child due to sensory issues, I only ate certain foods that I felt were 'safe' I didn't care about being thin then or body image. That came later with puberty.

So I had this?!

From the ages of 3-5 id only eat yogurt, plain pasta and chocolate, maybe peas, same thing everyday for years apparently. I refused to eat anything else. Is I got older I started eating more things but it still wasn't normal, I was underweight my entire childhood.

I hit puberty around ten and that's when I started skipping food for weight reasons. I did it on purpose rather than not being able to deal with most foods.

#10 Bucketfullofeds2

Bucketfullofeds2

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

I probably have ARFID. I'm also autistic so mine is more sensory-related.

And then I developed an eating disorder.

Sounds like me, I don't have autism but I do have sensory processing disorder and alway had issues with texture and smell of foods from I was first eating. I'd go all day until around 4pm before I'd eat because I'd only eat my grandmas dinners. Or certain junk food, ice cream and the like.

Then I developed an ed when I hit puberty and gained a little weight, that's when weight entered my brain and it became about that and restricting on purpose

#11 subaudible

subaudible

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:36 AM

I'm wondering if my 3 year old daughter might be showing signs of this...

she eats. but she eats a bit strangely. nothing like my son did at her age. the list of foods she will usually eat is pretty short, lol. we introduce new foods regularly and multiple times to give her a chance to try new things. she seems put off by anything with a sauce. even a cheese sauce. she used to love pizza but lately that is hit or miss. she will almost always eat yogurt, grilled cheese sandwiches (has to be lightly grilled/toasted), berries, grapes, and broccoli. but anything else, i never know. she definitely has a hard time trying new things and needs lots of encouragement. she usually won't touch meat. although she likes certain types of chicken nuggets. she looooves broth. and whenever i make soup, i give her a bowl of just straight broth and then a bowl of the soup contents without the broth. of which she will usually pick out the noodles, if there are any, and leave the meat and vegetables. and drain the bowl of broth. she'll just pick it up with both hands and drink from the bowl.

i've been thinking she's just really picky. and she's so full of energy, always wants to be running around. so she eats a few bites and when she's no longer hungry she's done. she wants to be back up playing. which is GOOD really, i think. she doesn't eat past the point of satiety. she doesn't eat just for the taste. she eats when she's hungry and stops naturally when she's no longer hungry. this is the way we should ALL eat...

but she's also pretty small for her age. she's in like the 12th percentile. she has a friend who is only 3 or 4 months older than her but is twice her size...my tiny little tiger. i worry about her not eating much and not getting the proper nutrition. but she snacks regularly on her beloved goldfish crackers and veggie straws...and she likes a good variety of fruits. she's probably FINE but now i've read this and i'm like huh....maybe she has this...she goes to the pediatrician regularly of course, and i really like the doctor we take our kids to. i feel confident that the doc would say something if she felt my daughter wasn't gaining enough weight or was likely to be deficient in something...

fear is the only opportunity we have to be brave 

tracks

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users