anyone go through perimenopause and able to stay thin.... - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

anyone go through perimenopause and able to stay thin....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dsprte4thin

dsprte4thin

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:25 AM

Is it possible to stay thin/get thinner through peri and menopause or does that seal our doom?  I keep hearing that you will gain around your stomach and there is nothing you can do about it but I, have a thyroid condition and I don't want that to seal my doom...there is hope right?  

#2 WashingtonRain

WashingtonRain

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationCentral Washington

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:47 PM

I never had a peri menopause because I had my ovaries and uterus removed and had to go cold turkey off estrogen, starting two years later with estrogen patches when the MDs thought it was safe to do so. My experience though, was that losing the estrogen didn't hinder my weight but restarting it did. There are obviously other life factors at play, so I'm not blaming the hrt, but I do find it harder to behave myself and slower to lose. I found I have cognitive issues without the estrogen though, and my skin looks way older without it... plus two years of no sleep due to hot flashes that never stopped... so I'm staying on the hrt anyway.

A: 39, H: 5'3", HW: 237 (age 28), LW: 80s (age 15), RLW: 101.2 (age 36), RHW: 151.4 (age 39), ed lifer, ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ, rockhound, traveler, camper, wife, adoptive mom, cat lover, animist/atheist, hater of psychiatrists, loather of divisive politics, pokemon go player... not necessarily in that order๐Ÿ˜›

Feb 2020:
โ™ก Lost in Feb: ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š

March 2020:

MARCH IS CANCELLED (Ended up Gaining 3.4) โŒโŒโŒ

April 2020

โ™ก Lost in April:

๐Ÿก/๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธDays with Some form of Exercise or Physical Labor on Home Remodel:๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธโŒ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

๐ŸDays of FitBit Output > Intake:๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ŸโŒ๐Ÿ

๐ŸทBinges:๐Ÿท

#3 thesekidsdrivememad

thesekidsdrivememad

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts
  • Locationit feels like a zoo (England)

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:59 AM

I'd love to know too.

It plays on my mind a lot, as age is getting on, definetly finding it harder to lose my winter blubber this year.

I've looked into it a lot, things that help and hinder an all that. Think as long as your aware of what your body is doing, you can help it through, hopefully without gaining, from what I've read it seems it's possible.
Height 5`8"
HW/SW 265lbs BMI 40.3 (17th June 2017)
CW 149.6lb
LW 150lb (as an adult), 133lb (at 16/17)

GW1 199lb (achieved 6th November 2017)
GW2 164lb healthy BMI (achieved 21st March 2020)
GW3 154lb pre babies (achieved 26th May 2020)
GW4 139lb teenage set point
Gw5 132.5 half the I used to be

Latest in a long line of accountabilitys

https://www.myproana...far/?p=72535881

#4 JoceyCat

JoceyCat

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1503 posts
  • LocationPerdition

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:18 AM

Hiya, I hope itโ€™s okay that Iโ€™m answering thisโ€”I saw it on the main forum because it was the most recent post. :)

My oncologist uses chemical castration in younger patients when itโ€™s possible to postpone radical, definitive surgery. Iโ€™ve had my ovaries shut off for about 12 years. Iโ€™ve only just recently begun having periods again because one of my medications needed adjusting. Itโ€™s different for everyone, but for me, controlling the oestrogen has been helpful on loads of fronts, weight loss included. I got to my LW while my oestradiol levels were clinically undetectable.

The only caveat is, if you have thyroid issues, you may need to monitor your levels and have your labs done more frequently. Iโ€™ve been treated for Hashimotoโ€™s thyroiditis since uni, but when we began to manipulate my hormones, I could really see the interplay between the two (HPO axis and HPT axis).

167cm, 5โ€™6
CW: 52.6kg/116LBs (maintaining before the next drop)
GW: 49kg/108LBs
UGW: 45kg/99LBs

Friend me to see my shit.
Piccies.

606-ACE60-A600-4681-895-B-5-B9-A17-FCFE0

#5 FatGrandma

FatGrandma

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:53 AM

I did gain during that time (past it all now, than goodness!), but I was also depressed and comfort eating. I think it's possible not to gain much if you eat a little less and keep active. I am losing now that it is over, so that can be done, too.

• thesekidsdrivememad likes this

#6 thesekidsdrivememad

thesekidsdrivememad

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3099 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:26 AM

I did gain during that time (past it all now, than goodness!), but I was also depressed and comfort eating. I think it's possible not to gain much if you eat a little less and keep active. I am losing now that it is over, so that can be done, too.

Think thats the key to success, being aware, aware that metabolisms slow down, aware that hormones are all over the place, causing cravings and water retention.

Plus losing the girly hormones, puts testosterone in a higher ratio in our body's (it's always been there) makes us more likely to gain like a man ie belly fat.
Height 5`8"
CW 149.6lb

#7 FatGrandma

FatGrandma

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:07 AM

Think thats the key to success, being aware, aware that metabolisms slow down, aware that hormones are all over the place, causing cravings and water retention.

Plus losing the girly hormones, puts testosterone in a higher ratio in our body's (it's always been there) makes us more likely to gain like a man ie belly fat.

Oh yes, the belly fat! Weight shows up there now, where it used to go to my butt and thighs. I never had belly fat when I was young!

• Gizzygirl14 and thesekidsdrivememad like this

#8 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

I haven't gained a lot of weight (still BMI 23, not skinny), but I've gained fat in places where I didn't use to...Arms, knees, inside of legs and generally all over my limbs, lower back, the back of the neck. Folds, flabs and cellulite all over, I feel heavy. Got estrogen overload, so water retention is crazy too.

I've become somewhat insulin resistant to a certain extent, my body metabolizes carbs and fat differently, general metabolism has slowed down, hormones fluctuations are affecting hunger and fullness signals as well as everything else. For you it may be different thou, I've got BED. I see a lot of slim middle age ladies around, if you are able to eat a balanced diet, and possibly restrict, can't see why you should gain weight. And considering what many people of a certain age have to cope with healthwise, a bit of belly fat is not the end of the world (not pleasant to get thou, I can totally understand that).

• Gizzygirl14 and thesekidsdrivememad like this

#9 viofem

viofem

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:46 AM

i lost 80 pounds when peri, very hard but i did it. My body is different than it used to be though. My stomach and breasts are bigger, my legs smaller. But it is possible to stave off the weight.

• Mindful Lady and thesekidsdrivememad like this

SW 174.4

CW 100

LW 99

UGW 92-95

#10 Fatcat1971

Fatcat1971

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2744 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:15 AM

I am going through it now. It can be done, just be patient.
  • Mindful Lady and thesekidsdrivememad like this

#11 thesekidsdrivememad

thesekidsdrivememad

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3099 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 03:55 AM

I am going through it now. It can be done, just be patient.

Are you doing anything different, than you did when you were younger?

Are you peri or full on menopause?
Height 5`8"
CW 149.6lb

#12 Fatcat1971

Fatcat1971

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2744 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

I am hormonally menopausal and have not had a period in 3 months. I do lowing carb omad and that is working for me.
  • Chkinut and thesekidsdrivememad like this

#13 dsprte4thin

dsprte4thin

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:51 AM

Thank you all...I am writing all of this down :)  I had put on 80 lbs due to having pneumonia, sepsis and the flu last year ..went on steroids for only a week but enough to shut down my adrenals ...then I got pneumonia again in December and had to take steroids again ...again only for a week but it was that or can't breathe...had no choice.  Then due ot being sick for nearly a year (only 6 week break from first recovery ) โ€ฆ.then my thyroid plummeted.... so its taken 5 months to get it back to where it needs to be. I have lost 14 lbs since two weeks ago due to IF :) It worked for me so many times though my dietician will kill me for this but I will tell her once I lose it all :) I did the same thing three years ago and dropped it all in four months. 

• Chkinut, Mindful Lady and thesekidsdrivememad like this

#14 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:05 PM

Thank you all...I am writing all of this down :)  I had put on 80 lbs due to having pneumonia, sepsis and the flu last year ..went on steroids for only a week but enough to shut down my adrenals ...then I got pneumonia again in December and had to take steroids again ...again only for a week but it was that or can't breathe...had no choice.  Then due ot being sick for nearly a year (only 6 week break from first recovery ) โ€ฆ.then my thyroid plummeted.... so its taken 5 months to get it back to where it needs to be. I have lost 14 lbs since two weeks ago due to IF :) It worked for me so many times though my dietician will kill me for this but I will tell her once I lose it all :) I did the same thing three years ago and dropped it all in four months. 

That's a great result, congratulations. Not many people managed to bounce back after a course of steroids, but you have made it and in balanced way. Well done  :)

P.S. Are you saying that you have lost 14 lbs in two weeks just by intermittent fasting...?

#15 Reeta Jane

Reeta Jane

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:57 PM

Iโ€™ve put on a few pounds over the years thanks to peri... Someone mentioned changes in hunger signals and such. I was having a lot of stomach issues over the years and sometimes I would eat whatever I could to settle my tummy. Sometimes, I was nauseous and starving at the same time. Now that I only get a period every few months, and I am on some bio identical hormone therapy, I feel ready to get strict with my diet. I also notice that I will feel changes in how my clothes fit long before the scale even budges! Anyone else notice that?
CW 140 lbs
GW 128 lbs
UGW: 120

#16 shannie

shannie

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2049 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:36 PM

I was able to lose weight while peri but it was much slower and I doubled my workouts.

Iโ€™m post menopause now and itโ€™s even harder to lose, but I know itโ€™s possible.
Ht. 5'3"
CW 79
BMI 14

LW 78
GW ???

#17 thinstrument

thinstrument

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2509 posts
  • LocationUpper Midwest...where it's cold

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

Hmm. I had blamed a new anti anxiety med for my latest gain, half of which I am still trying to lose. But certainly hormones are not helping.

I also try to do a one minute plank 4 days a week. It does help but....

Iโ€™ve never in my life had a flat stomach so I donโ€™t know that itโ€™s worse but I do get more bloat for sure. Also have more moment of โ€œIโ€™m old and gonna die soon so who caresโ€ haha
  • Chkinut and thesekidsdrivememad like this

I ramble online at Carrots In My Carryon

#18 Fatcat1971

Fatcat1971

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2744 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 05:43 PM

Are you doing anything different, than you did when you were younger?

Are you peri or full on menopause?

I switched to omad high protein lo carb. I am having spotting every 6 months and FSH levels almost menopausal, so any time now I should stop.

#19 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:18 PM

I was able to lose weight while peri but it was much slower and I doubled my workouts.

Iโ€™m post menopause now and itโ€™s even harder to lose, but I know itโ€™s possible.

Are you kidding me?! In perimenopause here, struggling to lose fat and weight and hoping that once the hormonal rollercoaster stabilises I'll be able to lose more easily. I've had enough of this, been alternating dieting and bingeing all my life, I give up

#20 Chkinut

Chkinut

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:56 AM

Iโ€™m 52 and havenโ€™t had a period in 18 months! Hooray! Iโ€™m thrilled! Iโ€™m 5โ€™4 and I use to stay around 112......but after menopause I got up to 140 which is the highest Iโ€™ve ever been in my life! I did NOT feel good about it......I jiggled whenever I walked, I had a belly that was getting in the way of even trying to clip my toenails! I allowed myself to go up 2 pant sizes......but even they were getting tight. I thought I was doomed......that menopause caused it all.....then (with lots of prayer) I finally got control over my appetite. I started replacing meals with Slim Fast. I did that for about a week....and that helped me kick it all into gear......I am now doing OMAD and cutting most bad sugars out. Over a month Iโ€™ve lost 10 lbs.....which is slower than how I use to lose. Iโ€™m also restricting a lot.....but when I was in the eating mode and gained all this weight, I felt food was controlling me!! I didnโ€™t see HOW I could snap out of it! But with prayer, getting back on proana and also discovering the OMAD plan Iโ€™m doing so much better. Iโ€™m down to 127 now. 

• Gizzygirl14, Mindful Lady and shannie like this

Ht: 5'4"
HW: 140
LW: 102
SW: 140
CW: 127
GW1: 110
GW2: 105
GW: 100
UGW: 95
UGW 2: 90

0 user(s) are reading this topic