To Vegans/Vegetarians/ Pescetarians Who Binge: Do you ever eat meat/animal products in a binge? - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

To Vegans/Vegetarians/ Pescetarians Who Binge: Do you ever eat meat/animal products in a binge?

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 blondeintheback

blondeintheback

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationThe righteous side of Hell

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

I'm curious as to if you ever, or have ever, eaten a food that your diet doesn't allow while in a binge, regardless if you b/p, have BED, or occasionally binge.

I'm technically pescetarian, since eating out and at other families' houses where I live would be a nightmare if I wasn't a little flexible in terms of diet, but I eat vegan/plant based most of the time (minus the occasional egg or can of tuna once a week). Usually, when I binge, I binge on vegan foods, as I genuinely crave them over any animal products 99% of the time. However, every few months or so, I'll have a binge which includes cheese or yogurt, and it makes me feel like crap. I hate knowing I'm eating something that harms animals and the environment, but sometimes binges get the best of me and it's like someone else is taking the wheel (not to excuse my actions, but just to explain them).

What are your guys' experiences?

• Teaquick, ifuseekbby, faerielites and 1 other like this

200.gif#4

#2 Death.grips

Death.grips

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2112 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:56 AM

When I was bulimic and ‘vegan’ I did but now that I’m anorexic I wouldn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • blondeintheback and Emy.a like this

#3 skystones

skystones

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

I eat dairy and eggs so usually my binges include foods with them in it. I don't like the taste of most meat so I definitely wouldn't binge on it.

• blondeintheback likes this

#4 nutellascrolls

nutellascrolls

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2039 posts
  • Locationkitchen... bathroom... kitchen... bathroom

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

i'm vegetarian and i don't, but i think it's because i became a vegetarian before i started this relapse

˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ ☽ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

5'3 ✰ fluctuating between 79-83lbs

accountability

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

graphics-flower-line-542645.gif

#5 mirellaxo

mirellaxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationAT

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:05 AM

I'm anorexic and I occasionally binge if I restrict too low for too long. I don't purge, though, maybe through exercise only if it feels especially bad. For me, being vegan is not part of my ED, I went vegan before all of this started and I'm in it for 100% ethical and environmental reasons. I don't consider animal products as food anymore, so no, I don't binge on those. But I wouldn't judge anyone who did, since we all feel out of control sometimes when it comes to eating. I just appreciate anyone who tries their best in order to minimise their impact on animals and the environment, regardless of them being fully vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian or trying to reduce their consumption of animal products. Every step counts.
  • Teaquick, princess peach, saraxana and 6 others like this
5'3" (160cm)
HW: 119.2lbs (54kg)
CW: 94.7lbs (43kg)
GW: 83.8lbs (38kg)

#6 kittiesarelitty

kittiesarelitty

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

I'm a pescetarian at the moment simply because I feel it's cleaner and healthier (not religiously following it but try my best) for me at the moment but I do binge on meat and shit because it's there from other family members and honestly it just tastes good. Almost like when I eat junk food and shit.

In the sense of like, I know I'm not supposed to eat donuts since they're usually high in cals and unhealthy but sometimes I just can't control myself. Though in being a pescetarian like I said I just want to eat cleaner I'm not necessarily doing it because I have any cultural beliefs or it's supposed to be some sort of diet.

I guess I don't really count but decided to share anyways.

#7 BowPeep

BowPeep

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:09 AM

I do not because I don’t want to use my consumer dollar to support those industries or their environmental footprint. Added to that, since I wouldn’t be using the animals for anything other than b/p, I feel it adds insult to their injury.
Edit: I don’t think what you’re doing is too terrible since it is so infrequent and isn’t as bad as buying burgers or bacon and stuff. But I do know what you mean, when your brain takes over and goes on autopilot and you truly feel like you have no control... that’s why I make sure to not keep any of those things in the house. I luckily also have mild agoraphobia, so luckily it’s strong enough that my want to binge doesn’t overcome my want to not leave the house so I don’t have to worry about going out to buy anything while I’m not in control.
  • DecemberDarlin, Teaquick, *BeautyInTheBreakdown* and 2 others like this

#8 championoftheslain

championoftheslain

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1328 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

no, never
I sometimes eat leftover food with animal products at work that would otherwise be thrown away, but never meat/fish, but thats not in a binge
  • butterfly101 and blondeintheback like this

~~~

it's not a party if it happens everynight.

#9 blondeintheback

blondeintheback

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:09 PM

I'm anorexic and I occasionally binge if I restrict too low for too long. I don't purge, though, maybe through exercise only if it feels especially bad. For me, being vegan is not part of my ED, I went vegan before all of this started and I'm in it for 100% ethical and environmental reasons. I don't consider animal products as food anymore, so no, I don't binge on those. But I wouldn't judge anyone who did, since we all feel out of control sometimes when it comes to eating. I just appreciate anyone who tries their best in order to minimise their impact on animals and the environment, regardless of them being fully vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian or trying to reduce their consumption of animal products. Every step counts.

I love the attitude you have towards it. If everyone at least tried to minimize their animal product and meat intake, alot more improvement would occur instead of this stupid 'meat/animal product eaters vs. vegetarians/vegans' all-or-nothing mentality so many people seem to have!

• Teaquick, mochroi, VV0lpert1nger and 2 others like this

200.gif#4

#10 babyblué

babyblué

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

Im a vegetarian and been for many years. Never binged on meat or had a slip up.

• blondeintheback and VV0lpert1nger like this

#11 blondeintheback

blondeintheback

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

I'm a pescetarian at the moment simply because I feel it's cleaner and healthier (not religiously following it but try my best) for me at the moment but I do binge on meat and shit because it's there from other family members and honestly it just tastes good. Almost like when I eat junk food and shit.

In the sense of like, I know I'm not supposed to eat donuts since they're usually high in cals and unhealthy but sometimes I just can't control myself. Though in being a pescetarian like I said I just want to eat cleaner I'm not necessarily doing it because I have any cultural beliefs or it's supposed to be some sort of diet.

I guess I don't really count but decided to share anyways.

You absolutely count! It's always awesome to hear a wide range of opinions and appraoches to reducing animal product consumption.

• kittiesarelitty and VV0lpert1nger like this

200.gif#4

#12 blondeintheback

blondeintheback

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

no, never
I sometimes eat leftover food with animal products at work that would otherwise be thrown away, but never meat/fish, but thats not in a binge

I'd definitely say it's better to use the leftover food regardless of it containing animal products than creating more food waste :)

• Teaquick and mochroi like this

200.gif#4

#13 BlueShelves

BlueShelves

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

I'm vegetarian, but only for a year so i have impulsively bought my fav jellies (which have animal gelatin in it) a couple times. It makes me feel even worse when i realise too coz it feels i have even little control than i thought. I've never binged on meat tho, im just stupid and forget what foods could have gelatin in it ^^;

138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119

118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 10 104 103 102 101 100

HW: 165lbs

LW: 123lbs

GW: 100lbs

22 ✧ Ireland ✧ she/him

#14 fallen.angel

fallen.angel

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

I’ve never eaten animal products since going vegan. It’s been quite a few years now so it just doesn’t even cross my mind as food anymore. More importantly, veganism is a huge part of me, it would emotionally hurt to eat something not vegan. However, don’t feel bad for slipping up from time to time. Any sort of change you make is still good and a whole lot better than the old you.
  • saraxana and blondeintheback like this
5’3
HW - 160+
CW - 119.25lbs
GW 1 - 118lbs
UGW - N/A

#15 fallen.angel

fallen.angel

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

I’ve never eaten animal products since going vegan. It’s been quite a few years now so it just doesn’t even cross my mind as food anymore. More importantly, veganism is a huge part of me, it would emotionally hurt to eat something not vegan. However, don’t feel bad for slipping up from time to time. Any sort of change you make is still good and a whole lot better than the old you.

I just noticed I wrote basically the exact same thing as someone before
5’3
HW - 160+
CW - 119.25lbs
GW 1 - 118lbs
UGW - N/A

#16 blondeintheback

blondeintheback

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:18 PM

I just noticed I wrote basically the exact same thing as someone before

That's ok! I imagine a lot of people msut have similar opinions or experiences in relation to this question :)

200.gif#4

#17 Guest_blahssom_*

Guest_blahssom_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:11 PM

I used to be vegan but now I’m vegetarian out of convenience— either way I will eat animal products if I’m ravenous.

BUT I always regret it. Like not even in a caloric way but it always gives me incredible stomach pains. Even now that I’m vegetarian, if I binge on cheese pizza or ice cream I will be essentially bed ridden for the day. I think I’ve developed a lactose intolerance

#18 blondeintheback

blondeintheback

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:38 PM

I used to be vegan but now I’m vegetarian out of convenience— either way I will eat animal products if I’m ravenous.

BUT I always regret it. Like not even in a caloric way but it always gives me incredible stomach pains. Even now that I’m vegetarian, if I binge on cheese pizza or ice cream I will be essentially bed ridden for the day. I think I’ve developed a lactose intolerance

Same here in terms of reactions to dairy! I used to eat tons of cheese and yogurt and drink milk all the time as a child and teen, with relatively no problems. But ever since I started seriously cutting back on it, any more than maybe a serving of it completely throws my stomach off. Maybe not bed ridden bad (I feel so sorry for you since binges and binging on animal products can feel bad enough, even without that severe of a dairy reaction), but bad enough to make me feel like shit.

200.gif#4

#19 Starvingrussiangirl

Starvingrussiangirl

Sage

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:30 PM

I have once and I was absolutely desperate...it disgusted me ugh 🤢
  • Teaquick and blondeintheback like this

#20 OMANKO

OMANKO

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4293 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

I used to be vegan during my worst anorexia relapse and would binge on non-vegan stuff so I got to a place where I was just like "fk it i don't need a label". now i rarely eat dairy except for cheese and lactose free milk in coffee since i'm super lactose intolerant.

chronic orthorexia + an/bp

IBS-A, adhd and bipolar ii

taking life one day at a time, currently relapsing

711ac3ac54046c9beeced563b7e05693.jpg

height   5'6

LW       101

HW       135

CW       108

accountability

my tumblr

0 user(s) are reading this topic