ED Clinic won't allow vegans - Page 3 - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

ED Clinic won't allow vegans

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 mayamaxchica

mayamaxchica

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:53 PM

I went to recovery at Sierra Tucson in Arizona. I strongly recommend it. They have a huge buffet, and you choose all your own foods, and then just check in with the counselor (it’s based on exchanges, so you choose what fits). It was a really helpful plan that I could continue outside of treatment. Also, people go there for lots of reasons, so it was focused on overall wellness, not just an eating disorder/refeeding type of program. There were a couple of people from the UK when I was there! I stayed for 28 days and it was amazing.
  • cheddar likes this

#42 girlLostintheForest

girlLostintheForest

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1294 posts
  • LocationTop of a tree

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:56 AM

Just my 2 cents with the NHS. Whilst it is rare, in some parts of the country if you're lucky ED clinics/units will allow veganism. So please to anyone considering treatment don't assume the worst before you've spoken to them - you might be lucky if you're in the right part of the country.

Where I am, I knew that they'd allow me to be vegan through treatment and I didn't have to try super hard to convince them or anything in my assessments. But I've been stuck on the waiting list for 1.5 years so hadn't really thought about it in a while.

But what really AMAZED me, was when I landed myself in general hospital a few weeks back, my team when out of their way to find me vegan alternatives to ensure/fortisips. When they visited me in the hospital they genuinely seemed horrified by the idea of places not accomodating veganism and people's morals, and were asking for my genuine opinions on the meal replacement drinks as they've been trying to find a vegan meal replacement for the ward and there isn't anything available with the standard suppliers they use for everything else, and yh they've been going out of their way to accommodate their vegan patients and finding things to help them through treatment

(Yes, I know how lucky I am. But also this means there is the potential that some of you will be just as lucky (though it's stupid that this is a matter of luck))
  • Nessii, thin-as-me and Beatlemaniac like this

#43 Relapsing.Bunny

Relapsing.Bunny

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:29 PM

This was the same for me when i was IP, and i wasn't even there for my ED. I was still allowed to be vegetarian though, will they at least allow that? I'm sorry you're going through this :(

#44 Purple Haze

Purple Haze

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:15 PM

While I can understand them thinking veganism is a form of restriction back in the day (over 10 years ago it was quite difficult to, say, go to any old restaurant and order a vegan meal, and supermarkets didn't stock nearly as much vegan alternatives then), it is so very different now!  The amount of vegan produce/products available is incredible compared to back then.  The fact that there is an ethical stance attached to veganism is where this makes me angry on your behalf as they clearly don't understand this and are basing their descision on misguided and outdated thinking. 

Treating the disorder needs to fit around ethical choices of the patient.

• Nessii likes this

b37.png

#45 DaintyWinterForrest

DaintyWinterForrest

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationCrying in my room.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:15 PM

The ed ip place I went to also didn't have a vegan mp, but they had vegetarian meals and I had a diagnosed lactose intolerance so I was exempt from most forms of dairy (fucking cheese) and mostly the food didn't have eggs. I didn't consider myself to be vegan then but I think I did a pretty good job of limiting my animal products intake (which is what -to me- the veggo community is about)

tumblr_ncoczzwCdG1toyfzio1_500.gif

"Puke and starve and drink and cut because you need the anaesthetic and it works. For a while. But then the anaesthetic turns into poison and by then it's too late because you are mainlining it now, straight into your soul. It is rotting you and you can't stop."

#46 chococat

chococat

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:26 PM

They don't actually think veganism is a form of restriction; if it is then so is vegetarianism but they offer dairy so obviously that's not it.

What it is is that the cheap, sponsored nutritional drinks  that they offer have dairy and there's no incentive or maybe even financial resource to offer vegan ones. They don't want to take accountability and secure the resources to offer vegan options, so they just fall back on the "vegan is restriction" excuse. 

• thin-as-me likes this

#47 m0cha-puppy

m0cha-puppy

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationcuddled in some fuzzy blankets

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

The facility I went to allowed vegetarians but were stricter with vegans. You had to (somehow??) prove to them you weren't just saying you were a vegan to get out of eating and were *really* a vegan for over a certain number of years. Idk I find it really insensitive and rude. I've met at least 2 girls in treatment who went from vegan/vegetarian to not bc the only reason they were was their ED but that doesn't apply to everyone? It's just ridiculous of them to deny you your morals

5'1

HW: 204 lbs

SW (7/6/20): 158 lbs

CW: 137.2 lbs 🐷

LW: 111.8 lbs - BMI 21.1

UGW: 45 lbs - BMI 8.5

Pro-recovery!! Please be safe I love you guys ❤️

#48 thin-as-me

thin-as-me

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:35 PM

It is very frustrating. When I was in treatment 3 summers ago, I had to go in. The program (which I will not name but starts with an R) was also adamant about enforcing consumption of dairy. I still refused to eat it due to not only my personal ethics but also my dairy allergy. They told me to use a digestive pill to consume the dairy products they enforced in the meal plan. I couldn't comply with that. It was so unhelpful and made me more averse to recovery after that experience. The worst part was that, if you didn't finish the entire meal they put in front of you with others eating at the table in a limited time (e.g. 45 mins), then you had to have a nutritional supplement after (e.g. Boost). Of course, me being a slow and picky eater with vegan principles, I refused both of these. Thankfully, the counselors were understanding and just let it slide. I always told them that I tried to eat as much as I could (which I honestly did on days when I entertained the idea of recovery). Yet, I stood firm in my decision to not eat the dairy or any other animal products they put in the meal plan, including other unmentionables. 

I hope you can get into the program regardless, and that once you do you can get the help you need. Everyone deserves recovery if you want it. I wish you the best of luck. Please stay safe! 

Toodles, 

Thin-As-Me xoxo :)

BMI: 21.4

HW: 130

CW: 115.8

LW:  93 

GW1: 100

GW2: 90

GW3: 80

UGW: 70!

I am Water! #AlwaysPeeing 

#49 AngryOtter

AngryOtter

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:27 AM

Consensus among dietetic researchers is that veganism with appropriate nutrition is healthy for all states of life. It’s an ass backwards anachronistic belief that it’s fringe and extreme to live without animal products. Luckily there are more nutritionists with vegan knowledge cropping up. Hopefully this will change over time. It still sucks now! Sorry you’re being asked to compromise your ethics to get healthcare. :(

#50 CaityEarp

CaityEarp

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:12 PM

This is always what put me off going to my gp about my ed or getting recovery , I was in hospital and they casually said I could gain a few pounds but that was it. But I've been vegan so long , for what feels like my whole life, I'm allergic to milk so dairy products are out of the question anyways but I wouldnt eat honey or meat. It's not fair that they are doing that to you. How is being a vegan and more of a 'restrictive' diet than being a vegetarian? Especially in the uk , when plant milks and cheeses, fortified soy products etc are beginning to have more range. That makes quite literally zero sense and I'm really sorry that you wanted to recover but they didnt allow you to keep your moral views whilst doing so.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#51 MrsNoraPalmer

MrsNoraPalmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:40 AM

Also, you HAVE to eat dairy?? What if your allergic? That's messed up. I'm sorry this is happening to you.
•Nora
~Just trying to move forward~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users