Do you think you should hide your ED if your a male - Page 2 - Males with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Do you think you should hide your ED if your a male

males

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OXH

OXH

Sage

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:06 PM

Of course not

#22 vintage-borderline

vintage-borderline

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:48 PM

I hide all of my mental health issues in real life. There's definitely a stigma, but I more so hide things so my life is easier (no interventions for me, thanks).

• teenlove and Weldon like this

[ Male | England | 18 | Queer | AN | Cryptid | Chaotic Neutral ]

[ MPA2: vintage-borderline | Ask for Discord ]

-

"Lovely day for it."

#23 teenlove

teenlove

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:11 PM

deleted

male
bmi 19

#24 Max06

Max06

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:11 AM

I was diagnosed with hypotonia and have been forced fed most of my life by my pushy adopted family, so I try hard to keep my eating habits highly secretive.  

proana.jpg

current: 24, 6'2", 122 lbs

#25 sogni-malinconici

sogni-malinconici

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Locationpretty sure this is hell

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:12 AM

I mean personally I hide literally everything. My eating disorder, self-harm, kinda even the fact I'm gay. I mean I don't like to be the topic of the conversation and from my experience people knowing makes things worse. They either don't believe me, think I'm overreacting, think I'm doing drugs, think I'm doing it for their attention, think whatever the fuck they think. It's usually something negative and no where near the realm of supportive.  Though I don't think I should have to hide it, I even think it's fucked up I feel I need to. I think you should be taken seriously and be able to confide in the people you have in your life and be open about struggles. Unfortunately, for both me and a lot of people, I don't think many people can. 

• Weldon likes this

3fb5a071298eb5b68140b3f1fc7637a6.gif

#26 congresstart

congresstart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:34 PM

No, I don't think one should hide it and generally I feel the stigma around eating disorders has decreased quite a lot in recent years, unfortunately that does not apply to males suffering from EDs. In treatment I have actually found both the staff and fellow patients to be incredibly open-minded and accepting, that is however far from the case when it comes to society in general. But still...I would deny it to the core if someone asked me so there's no clear-cut answer in my case.

5’7
Cw: 97 lbs

#27 gourleygirl

gourleygirl

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:29 PM

if you're straight and have any intention of getting laid, yes. body self-consciousness / exception seems way more tolerated in the gay community, girls get turned the fuck off. most girls want to be with a guy who is fatter than them

sources: i am 25, have had sex 3 times in my life, i have an ED, and i'm straight

That’s awful, I hope guys don’t feel the need to hide :( Im a 25 year old woman and certainly would never discriminate because of an ED - in fact, if a guy had one, I probably would feel I could relate to them better. But I have a preference for skinny hipsters, so maybe I’m biased?

Seeing it as a weakness is just shitty, sorry you’ve had to face that :/

weight.png

#28 Opheliandre

Opheliandre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:03 PM

Whilst I do, because I don't want the sensitive intricacies of my mental illness on public display in any context I can't achieve complete anonymity, you're a bit of a Patrick Bateman case if you have an ED as a man (without meaning to sound criminalising). Even the most transparent textbook sufferers fly under the radar ridiculously easily just by virtue of falling outside the expected profile. You can be horrifyingly, concerningly obvious from a diagnostic perspective and no one seems to bat an eyelid, save for maybe assuming you're a cokehead or that you have AIDS.

If anything it's harder to genuinely convince others your ED is real than it is to hide it. My doctor suspected I had a tapeworm before an eating disorder.

• Katurian likes this
“I always wanted you to admire my fasting,” said the hunger artist.
“We do admire it,” said the overseer, affably.
“But you shouldn’t admire it,” said the hunger artist.
“Well then we don’t admire it,” said the overseer, “but why shouldn’t we admire it?” 
“Because I have to fast, I can’t help it,” said the hunger artist.

—Franz Kafka, Ein Hungerkünstler

wHupWoh.png

#29 Cydric

Cydric

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:50 PM

I only tell it to really close friends

I told my mom and best friends and they all told me that I don't have an eating disorder, I just watch my weight...

Okay...
  • djsta likes this

“The heart dies a slow death, shedding each hope like leaves until one day there are none. No hopes. Nothing remains.”

*Perfection is impossible but I can get damn near close*

HT:      6'1"

HW:    221

CW:    176

GW:    150

UGW: 140

#30 djsta

djsta

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNYC, USA

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:33 AM

If you have an ED regardless of gender you should not hide it when disclosing is appropriate. Like other medical conditions there is a right time and place for sharing.
  • Cydric likes this

72 inches tall

29 inch waistline

SW 242.6 (07-01-2019) BF 31.1%

GW1 160 (03-28-2020) BF 14.8%

GW2 155 (04-07-2020) BF 13.9%

GW3 150 (04-21-2020) 12.8%

CW 151.4 (10-01-2020) BF 8.9%

UGW 145/BF 7%...or maybe less?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: males

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users