Do you think you should hide your ED if your a male - Page 3 - Males with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Do you think you should hide your ED if your a male

males

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Banditboii

Banditboii

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationGB

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:17 PM

Yeah that def sucks. Do you think they have an ED or are they just like normal people dieting without much nutritional knowledge and stuff? Diet trends aren't gonna work if they actually want to lose. I know this one lady who's obsessed with gluten free and is literally anti everything. Anti vax, anti gluten, I don't think she has an ED although she may be orthorexic from what I've seen. Or else she's just a karen.

Aha, don't worry, she's the manager's problem. Could be worst though. There's still boomers buying those over-priced sugery weight loss shakes that look like they've been in a bombshelter since the 80s.

I honestly don't know. I don't think normies get that emotional about it. The skinnier one has been single for years and hasn't got much going for him tbh. I suspect he equates weight to self worth.

The other, I'm not as sure. I think he's an emotional eater though. He grew up pretty poor so when he started making money he bought a lot of food and chocolate.

#42 jpi332

jpi332

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:21 PM

Aha, don't worry, she's the manager's problem. Could be worst though. There's still boomers buying those over-priced sugery weight loss shakes that look like they've been in a bombshelter since the 80s.

I honestly don't know. I don't think normies get that emotional about it. The skinnier one has been single for years and hasn't got much going for him tbh. I suspect he equates weight to self worth.

The other, I'm not as sure. I think he's an emotional eater though. He grew up pretty poor so when he started making money he bought a lot of food and chocolate.

they get emotional abt it? How so? I guess some people do, like insecurities are normal and i definitely can imagine people getting worked up about it in my demographic of age/gender, although I'd assume that once you reach post-college age people generally get less insecure. 

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#43 Banditboii

Banditboii

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationGB

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:32 PM

they get emotional abt it? How so? I guess some people do, like insecurities are normal but like i guess it depends on how far you go.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you're 21 or under. A lot of people, particularly those who like to party, start gaining weight around 22. Most people end up too lazy or busy to do anything about it so it slowly gets worst. Weight gain then becomes a sign of age for them. As life slows down and they get fatter it develops in to a pretty mean cocktail of insecurities. Is it ED? Not sure but whatever it is. Well it's pretty grim.

#44 jpi332

jpi332

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:37 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you're 21 or under. A lot of people, particularly those who like to party, start gaining weight around 22. Most people end up too lazy or busy to do anything about it so it slowly gets worst. Weight gain then becomes a sign of age for them. As life slows down and they get fatter it develops in to a pretty mean cocktail of insecurities. Is it ED? Not sure but whatever it is. Well it's pretty grim.

Yep. Sitting around and complaining about how you're fat is so fucking common for teenage girls. I had a group of friends last year, one tried intermittent fasting, one wanted to lose weight before her dance recital because her stomach was to big. It's almost a stereotype that some girls will be like "omg i'm so fat" or "i'm literally a fucking potato/look like a rat". Do they actually believe they are fat? Probably not, but just go on tiktok and you'll see girls talking about how they "wish they had pretty privilege" and they're nowhere near ugly. Then you'll have some people who go overboard with the whole "body positive" thing and its not even believable. Also saw you're from the uk, in america the stereotype is freshman 15, meaning people gain 15 pounds during their first year of college/university. Plus our drinking age is higher, 22 is a year after you are allowed to party legally.

• dburner4 likes this

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#45 Banditboii

Banditboii

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationGB

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:52 PM

Yep. Sitting around and complaining about how you're fat is so fucking common for teenage girls. I had a group of friends last year, one tried intermittent fasting, one wanted to lose weight before her dance recital because her stomach was to big. It's almost a stereotype that some girls will be like "omg i'm so fat" or "i'm literally a fucking potato/look like a rat". Do they actually believe they are fat? Probably not, but just go on tiktok and you'll see girls talking about how they "wish they had pretty privilege" and they're nowhere near ugly. Then you'll have some people who go overboard with the whole "body positive" thing and its not even believable. Also saw you're from the uk, in america the stereotype is freshman 15, meaning people gain 15 pounds during their first year of college/university. Plus our drinking age is higher, 22 is a year after you are allowed to party legally.

Pretty privilege? Damn. That's a new one. It's amazing how much privilege there is to go around. We're privileged to live in such a dignified time.

The thing is, when your a teen most people assume they'll lose the weight one day. They have time to work it out. Around that 22 mark mortality kicks in. Some people can thrive and be better than ever. Others fold and double down on the behaviours that led to the weight gain "cause they wanna feel 17 again" or whatever

#46 milkxbun

milkxbun

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom.

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:11 AM

There are quite a few active males on here. I happen to be female, but just wanted to weigh in (no pun intended) on this a little.

I mean, isn't it normal for everyone with an ED to be secretive about it? I honestly don't know anyone who is open about it unless they're in super recovery mode and even then they usually don't bring it up unless someone mentions it first.

It's kind of the nature of the illness.. if you want to keep being self-destructive, you can't exactly tell people or they might stop you?

It's even harder for men because for some reason society has decided its a "female" illness and so if a guy is open about his anorexia either no one really takes it seriously or they get harassed for it hard. Idk it's weird and it feels really isolated. It's also hard to find other guys on the same boat and even harder if those guys can even talk about their feelings and stuff..

I've only ever spoken about it on here with girls. So there's still a level of loneliness to it. Makes you naturally want to hide it even more.

#47 rouv.stat

rouv.stat

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:47 AM

Would I tell anyone about my eating disorder because of this stigma and only having women-centred help available where I live? Absolutely not. But I don't have to go out of my way to hide it from anyone but my parents because as long as people think that only girls in their early teens get this disorder, they leave me alone no matter how little I eat and how much weight I lose. So I have very mixed feelings about it. 

On the one hand, I would like to have more options for help as a guy, but on the other hand, I'm so not ready for any form of treatment at the moment, so it's kind of nice to know I won't have to worry about forced hospital stays because even medical staff here is clueless when it comes to males with AN. 

But I am a little worried that if I one day want to get help, it'll be hard to have access to any support.

HW: 65 KG (143 pounds)

CW: 60 KG (132 pounds)

59 KG (130 pounds)

58 KG (128 pounds)

57 KG (126 pounds)

GW1: 53 KG (117 pounds)

#48 coldthin

coldthin

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3085 posts
  • LocationThe secret Tenth Circle of Hell ( Walmart )

Posted 02 April 2021 - 02:41 PM

I don't think  i or others should hide it;  but I still choose to hide it myself because of the awful responses I've gotten from people. it's easier to stay quiet.

• Lower likes this

gallery_603345_69913_311266.gif

they / them  or  he / him

I think I'm pretty smart but then again I'm also an absolute fool so you'll never know which version you get to see

my thread  ^u^

Spoiler

stats under spoiler

gallery_603345_69913_2247.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: males

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users