Just diagnosed - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Just diagnosed

7 replies to this topic

#1 skinn-annd-bonnes

skinn-annd-bonnes

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationChewandswallow

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

Any advice? I’m feeling a little lost. Is there an active ARFID community on MPA?
¿

#2 justwaspthings

justwaspthings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

What is AFRID I am confused... I'ce never heard about it

#3 Guest_demolitionlxvrs_*

Guest_demolitionlxvrs_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder. according to nationaleatingdisorders.org its like anorexia except the restrictive eating isnt related to a fear of gaining weight. it used to be called selective eating disorder.

• skinn-annd-bonnes likes this

#4 justwaspthings

justwaspthings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:58 AM

avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder. according to nationaleatingdisorders.org its like anorexia except the restrictive eating isnt related to a fear of gaining weight. it used to be called selective eating disorder.

Wow thank you!!♡

#5 skinn-annd-bonnes

skinn-annd-bonnes

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationChewandswallow

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:29 PM

Picky eating on steroids
  • blueopalsong, pawye, warmmilk and 3 others like this
¿

#6 pawye

pawye

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:42 AM

Picky eating on steroids

LMAO

• skinn-annd-bonnes likes this

tumblr_inline_mww2fz8APc1r0jzp4.gif

tumblr_inline_mww0czG7eL1r0jzp4.gif

If I can't be the pretty one, I'll be the skinny one.

ht 162cm | CW 37.6kg [bmi 14.3] 

accountability

tumblr_inline_mww2m51HpU1r0jzp4.gif

#7 puzzlepi

puzzlepi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:44 AM

Picky eating on steroids

Not really? Like it’s not a choice that my gag reflex kicks in if I try to eat a grape....and that’s a food I actually like the taste of (just the texture is a problem, like when you bite/chew one).

I have ARFID. There are three majorly recognized subtypes—sensory issues, reduced/lack of appetite, traumatic experience relating to food—but people can definitely fit multiple categories or just the more general definition of avoidance/categorical restriction.

I have a lot of sensory issues (mostly because of texture) with foods; for example I don’t like things mixed (surprise there’s a crunchy piece of celery in your tuna sandwich), or just certain textures in general (grapes when I bite them, the outside of oranges, bread with seeds, onions, etc). Smooth and uniform is my favourite food texture, which thankfully fits to „healthier“ things like butternut squash and applesauce.

I also have a fluctuating appetite, and since being diagnosed with a plethora of food allergies following some nasty reactions (think puke, mostly) I also don‘t even want to „trial“ some new foods as they might make me feel icky in a way I can‘t control.

ARFID and undiagnosed anxieties and other challenges led to me losing a bunch of weight, and a short hospital stay, and things have been mixed since then. It’s a bit easier, having a name for what I deal with (added to the DSM in 2013), but harder because now I’m a lot more conscious of weight and food stuff at a different level. Sometimes I get excited about recovery, or adding a „new“ food, but sometimes my brain starts twisting into more Ana behaviours, like wishing I could be smaller again or just being uncomfortable with food stuff/weight gain/maintenance. As a Dx, ARFID doesn’t include body image issues, but EDs can be fluid so....

#8 skinn-annd-bonnes

skinn-annd-bonnes

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationChewandswallow

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:25 AM

Not really? Like it’s not a choice that my gag reflex kicks in if I try to eat a grape....and that’s a food I actually like the taste of (just the texture is a problem, like when you bite/chew one).
I have ARFID. There are three majorly recognized subtypes—sensory issues, reduced/lack of appetite, traumatic experience relating to food—but people can definitely fit multiple categories or just the more general definition of avoidance/categorical restriction.
I have a lot of sensory issues (mostly because of texture) with foods; for example I don’t like things mixed (surprise there’s a crunchy piece of celery in your tuna sandwich), or just certain textures in general (grapes when I bite them, the outside of oranges, bread with seeds, onions, etc). Smooth and uniform is my favourite food texture, which thankfully fits to „healthier“ things like butternut squash and applesauce.
I also have a fluctuating appetite, and since being diagnosed with a plethora of food allergies following some nasty reactions (think puke, mostly) I also don‘t even want to „trial“ some new foods as they might make me feel icky in a way I can‘t control.
ARFID and undiagnosed anxieties and other challenges led to me losing a bunch of weight, and a short hospital stay, and things have been mixed since then. It’s a bit easier, having a name for what I deal with (added to the DSM in 2013), but harder because now I’m a lot more conscious of weight and food stuff at a different level. Sometimes I get excited about recovery, or adding a „new“ food, but sometimes my brain starts twisting into more Ana behaviours, like wishing I could be smaller again or just being uncomfortable with food stuff/weight gain/maintenance. As a Dx, ARFID doesn’t include body image issues, but EDs can be fluid so....

I have ARFID and also have texture issues. I literally throw up because of the texture of a pineapple. I was simply making a joke.
¿

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users