New South Beach—Weight Watchers experience - WeightWatchers - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

New South Beach—Weight Watchers experience

South Beach Weight Watchers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fancypantses

fancypantses

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:37 AM

I tried Weight Watchers a couple of separate times. Unsuccessful for me. Once it was in a midlevel shopping mall, near where I lived. WW had a storefront center, with posters on the wall, and weigh-in areas and full product inventory stock.

Another time it was in my own office building, 🏢 in a workshop conference room in the basement, at lunchtime. We'd weigh in, then sit around the table, eating our lunches out of our plastic containers.

The leader would give us a pep talk, with a weekly theme & cheery flip-board. Then we shared our own experiences. We always got a chance to browse all the WW books & products before heading back to our cubes or desks.

I bought the electronic slimline food scale. I got the recipe books. I got the nutrition bars (2 or 3 points). I got the Daily Food Log notebooks/apps, which I would track my points & food, day after day, along with all my mistakes, overeating, binges, and other food crimes & misdemeanors.

I pretty much stayed at my same clothing size though, month after month. It was pretty demoralizing.

(Cont'd...)
Dinner is the least important meal of the day.

#2 fancypantses

fancypantses

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:43 AM

(my Weight Watchers part II)

Products I bot:

I appreciate why I bought the Weight Watchers electronic slimline food scale. One, it looked amazing. Two, you need to weigh a food unit before you make a food diary entry, duh. I liked making those entries. I used different colors, different fonts & effects, etc etc. But it got repetitive, so I just started using shortcuts. I still love the scale, but it didn’t get a lot of use.

I also get why I bought the WW nutrition bars because, one, they were nutritious, and two, they tasted great. My plan was, keep a box in my desk and eat just one a day. The food diary entry was easy, bc all the info was right on the wrapper.

Ex: cherry almond bar (3 pts). But 3 points per bar adds up fast. One bar X 3 or 4 equals 9 or 12 points per day. So that was almost 1/2 my points allowance, which I had to make up for at the gym, on the elliptical.

(The nutrition bars ended up being counterproductive, in the long run. Correction: they were counterproductive from the get-go.)

What I totally don’t get is why I bought WW cookbooks bc I've almost zero interest in cooking or meal prep, whatever. I usually sample half the recipe before it’s fully assembled. I never used the recipes. I don’t know what I was thinking, when I got them.

Eventually, I decided WW wasn’t for me.

(Cont'd)

#3 fancypantses

fancypantses

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:07 AM

(My WW experience, part III)

So, tldr, I got the basic idea of WW—instead of count complicated CALORIES, you count simple POINTS.

I bought in. I went to the meetings I bought the products. I logged my food (mostly) . I just didn’t get the results I wanted.

Looking back, Weight Watchers was too meals-focused for me. I would count the minutes until the next meal ⏰ and I’m not even a meal person—I don’t cook, I just ASSEMBLE, lol.

One thing I got at WW, though, was HOW LONG it takes to exercise away calorie intake.
Really, it’s way less trouble just to not put calories in, in the first place.

#4 fancypantses

fancypantses

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

How I got from Weight Watchers to MPA, by me:

So I drifted away from WW. Kept going to the gym, bla bla. Nothing changed.

Then one day I downloaded an audiobook. I was listening, so I couldn’t see the layout. Unlike other books that number the chapters with upwards numbers, like one, two, three, the chapters in this book all started with descending numbers, like 109.4, 107.2, etc. It was a great story, and I finished it, and googled it, and that led me to here.

That's how I got from WW to Wintergirls to MPA.

I looked around here, and my brain exploded—I was like hfs, are we even allowed to even post this? Naive. I looked at thinspo. I fell in love with ppl's sigs. Eventually, I found The South Beach Diet. I stayed.

And MPA was a deal-changer for me. My favorite saying was, stay strong lovelies. I lost interest in food, because I had my peeps. I learned I could walk past the treats in the break room at work, and just not look. It was amazing.

Then one day at group ex at the gym, I saw myself in the mirror, and the downlights made cheekbone shadows on my face.

My stomach got flat. I felt like I could float upstairs. I could walk down the hall, and my legs weren’t touching. People started noticing.

I felt like I found the keys to the kingdom, here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: South Beach, Weight Watchers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users