Does ARFID need to be since childhood? - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Does ARFID need to be since childhood?

5 replies to this topic

#1 NotActive333

NotActive333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:32 PM

I've been questioning if I may have ARFID, especially since I just learned that it is possibly connected to OCD which I struggle with a lot. I posted about this in the anorexia forum as well and a couple of people also suggested ARFID.
So, my question is does it have to start in childhood? I have a large history of disordered eating, but it's gradually evolved into a non intentional/texture and aversion problem that causes restriction. When I was really little I wasn't picky at all, in fact I liked pretty much everything, even foods kids typically don't like.
Now the foods that don't make me physically gag are getting smaller and smaller, and I'm developing more and more texture issues. This has gradually been getting worse since I was around 18ish.

#2 skinn-annd-bonnes

skinn-annd-bonnes

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationChewandswallow

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:34 PM

Not at all! Unfortunately, a lot of people develop ARFID later in life. I’ve probably had it since I was two or three-ish, but I’ve seen documentaries of people that start having it in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. You’re not alone in your struggles ❤️
  • NotActive333 likes this
¿

#3 NotActive333

NotActive333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:48 AM

Not at all! Unfortunately, a lot of people develop ARFID later in life. I’ve probably had it since I was two or three-ish, but I’ve seen documentaries of people that start having it in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. You’re not alone in your struggles ❤️

That's great to know! In my other thread one of the people who suggested it said it has to start in childhood, so I was confused and wondering if somethings really wrong with me for it starting later in life. Especially since most things on Google about ARFID seem to be centered around children in general.

#4 90isthemagicnumber

90isthemagicnumber

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:10 AM

I don't have ARFID, but I do have some taste/texture sensitivities (most likely due to my OCD and autism) and I've gotten more picky about what I like and don't like over the years. I think your palate just adapts as you get older, so it seems entirely possible someone could develop ARFID in adulthood, there's no diagnostic component that says it's not.possible for adulthood. It's just more common to develop in childhood due to its comorbidity with conditions like the autism spectrum or Sensory Processing Disorder. 

• NotActive333 likes this

Diagnosis: Atypical anorexia nervosa with some b/p

Currently recovering(ish?), but that can change depending on my mood and circumstances

I also have OCD, GAD, major depression w/psychotic symptoms, Autism Spectrum Disorder

HW: 191 lbs (29.0)

CW: Unknown, I haven't been weighed since I had a mental breakdown finding out I was at my HW. I hope I'm below my HW.

LW (April 2018): 115 lbs (16.98)

GW1: 110 lbs (16.24)

GW2: 100 lbs (14.77)

UGW: 90 lbs (13.29)

It's always best when the light is off

I am the pick in the ice
Do not cry out or hit the alarm
You know we're friends till we die

#5 NotActive333

NotActive333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:32 PM

I don't have ARFID, but I do have some taste/texture sensitivities (most likely due to my OCD and autism) and I've gotten more picky about what I like and don't like over the years. I think your palate just adapts as you get older, so it seems entirely possible someone could develop ARFID in adulthood, there's no diagnostic component that says it's not.possible for adulthood. It's just more common to develop in childhood due to its comorbidity with conditions like the autism spectrum or Sensory Processing Disorder.

I've actually done some more thinking since I posted this and realised that though they didn't interfere with my life as much, I did have issues as a small child. It seems a lot of mine has always centered around meats, I used to literally cry and go into hysterics because I would find veins or cartilage in chicken in particular, among other things. But at the time because of my parents I really had no choice but to eat it anyway.
I know for sure I have bad OCD that I'm trying to get officially diagnosed (crappy health care though) and probably would already have all of this sorted but my mom didn't believe in getting me medical care, so I'm just trying to maneuver this as an adult now. I could easily have sensory processing disorder as well because my sensory issues are also with sounds and other stimuli. I'm currently trying to get the ball rolling on seeing doctors.

#6 90isthemagicnumber

90isthemagicnumber

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

I've actually done some more thinking since I posted this and realised that though they didn't interfere with my life as much, I did have issues as a small child. It seems a lot of mine has always centered around meats, I used to literally cry and go into hysterics because I would find veins or cartilage in chicken in particular, among other things. But at the time because of my parents I really had no choice but to eat it anyway.
I know for sure I have bad OCD that I'm trying to get officially diagnosed (crappy health care though) and probably would already have all of this sorted but my mom didn't believe in getting me medical care, so I'm just trying to maneuver this as an adult now. I could easily have sensory processing disorder as well because my sensory issues are also with sounds and other stimuli. I'm currently trying to get the ball rolling on seeing doctors.

Good luck to you for getting medical help/diagnosis, it took me a long time to get proper evaluation and healthcare. Unfortunately a lot of healthcare symptoms/insurance companies don't really prioritize mental health. :(

Diagnosis: Atypical anorexia nervosa with some b/p

Currently recovering(ish?), but that can change depending on my mood and circumstances

I also have OCD, GAD, major depression w/psychotic symptoms, Autism Spectrum Disorder

HW: 191 lbs (29.0)

CW: Unknown, I haven't been weighed since I had a mental breakdown finding out I was at my HW. I hope I'm below my HW.

LW (April 2018): 115 lbs (16.98)

GW1: 110 lbs (16.24)

GW2: 100 lbs (14.77)

UGW: 90 lbs (13.29)

It's always best when the light is off

I am the pick in the ice
Do not cry out or hit the alarm
You know we're friends till we die

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users