Anyone else vegan/vegetarian for "strange" reasons? - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anyone else vegan/vegetarian for "strange" reasons?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 22-Countdown

22-Countdown

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1899 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:28 AM

The two most common reasons for veganism/ vegetarianism seem to be
1) Moral reasons
2) Health

I used to be vegetarian and now I'm vegan. I stopped eating meat and fish because I have always disliked most meats/fishes. As a result, my parents would physically force me to eat them (in some cases until I threw up). As a result I hate these foods even more.
I became vegan because I randomly became lactose intolerant a couple of years ago. I thought: "You don't eat meat, fish and now dairy is out of the question. Just drop eggs too, you rarely eat eggs anyway."

• chili con carny, puzzlepi and g.lina like this

They/Them 1,65 m.
HW: 91 Kg/ 200 pounds

CW: ??? Too much

UGW: 45 Kg/ 100 pounds

UGW might change depending on muscle gain/ loss

#2 Death.grips

Death.grips

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2087 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 03:12 AM

I get grossed out by meat and always have been, I couldn’t eat red meat or cook white meat. I’m also being put off by egg and dairy products. Minimalism in simplifying what I eat and eating straight from the source is the reason I want to have a vegan diet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • neeraja, 1-800-monimoni and 22-Countdown like this

#3 sprintergirl

sprintergirl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8016 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

i also stopped eating meat mostly because i just hate the taste of it (since i was a kid), and the thought of eating parts of something that was once alive grossed the fuck out of me. i've also always hated eggs, like since i was a kid, and yogurt falls into that category as well. i only eat some dairy and that's what makes me a vegetarian.

• chili con carny and euphoriajunior like this

21 / scorpio / infj

5'9" / cbmi: 19.9

relapsed

Spoiler

#4 skinn-annd-bonnes

skinn-annd-bonnes

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationChewandswallow

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

i also stopped eating meat mostly because i just hate the taste of it (since i was a kid), and the thought of eating parts of something that was once alive grossed the fuck out of me. i've also always hated eggs, like since i was a kid, and yogurt falls into that category as well. i only eat some dairy and that's what makes me a vegetarian.

Lacto-vegetarian?
  • atomickitty likes this
¿

#5 sectum-sempra

sectum-sempra

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:33 PM

The two most common reasons for veganism/ vegetarianism seem to be
1) Moral reasons
2) Health

I used to be vegetarian and now I'm vegan. I stopped eating meat and fish because I have always disliked most meats/fishes. As a result, my parents would physically force me to eat them (in some cases until I threw up). As a result I hate these foods even more.
I became vegan because I randomly became lactose intolerant a couple of years ago. I thought: "You don't eat meat, fish and now dairy is out of the question. Just drop eggs too, you rarely eat eggs anyway."

lol that's basically exactly how i became vegan too, i was pescetarian then veg then i became increasingly lactose intolerant and then i was like screw it i'll go the whole nine yards i don't even like eggs that much

• 22-Countdown likes this

20 / 5'7 / vegan

hw: 157     lw: 93    cw: 124.2 ew (bmi 19.5)

tenor.gif?itemid=7331540

#6 skeletalsweetie

skeletalsweetie

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2213 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

not vegan anymore but used to be (don't hate) because i saw my uncle's cow get shot when i was twelve. sounds dumb but i knew that cow a long time. rip sophie

• Jessiiiiiiiiii, Choco_Bitch_612, aneles iso and 3 others like this

• sometimes they never wanted to hurt you, they just didn't care at all •

she/her 💫fifteen 💫114lbs

#7 Moth Princess

Moth Princess

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:05 AM

My partner is vegan and rationally i am vegan for the animals. 

However there is also a large part of me that is vegan so I can feel morally superior to other people.

• Septsys, Miakklifa and sn4rkie like this
Find me @mothprincesss on instagram
<p>tumblr_mp5uux6L4q1sw4xoto1_500.gif

#8 Neal

Neal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 01:07 PM

I first stopped eating meat so I wouldn't have to eat at school canteen because that was a big anxiety trigger. My mom said that she wouldn't made me do that if I were vegetarian. And for the animals of course.

#9 gbaby777

gbaby777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:17 PM

Our stories are almost the same. Personally, I never liked cooking meat/fish but i'd eat it if it were cooked for me because there wasn't any other choice in my house (My parents would also force me to eat it too) . I'd also order a TON of meat when I'd binge but ever since i stopped ordering out I realized meat doesn't even slap like that and I don't even think of buying it while grocery shopping (And I haven't binged in a hot minute). + Im SEVERELY Lactose intolerant so I cut out dairy and I only use eggs to bake so I just cut those out too. So now I'm 1 month vegan.

weight.png

#10 dirty.ducklings

dirty.ducklings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:36 PM

lmao i literally just woke up one day in a heavy restricting phase and was like "nope, never eating meat again" 

• dollfang, Valentinaaah and borderlinee like this

#11 aroura77

aroura77

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationOn the 3rd floor of the TARDIS, hiding under the bed

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:39 AM

Dang, I mean, you got me.
Yeah, I did it the typical way; restrictive anorexia, covered up weight loss by going vegetarian and saying it was that not the ana. Then went vegan after 'recovery' to make sure I didn't gain too much weight back (whoever's heard of a fat vegan?)
And here I am, 7 years later, a fat vegan.
Oh the irony.
And now I actually do it because I care about the animals and environment and all the righteous shit. If anything, it'd be easier for me if I could eat egg whites again to stick to low cal foods, but eh, we make do to stick to our alignment of values and actions, however unlikable and dogmatic that may sound to some.

• Anamia. and 1-800-monimoni like this

#12 99mirrors

99mirrors

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:23 PM

I'm vegan becasue my roommate put it as a requirement for moving into his place. Only vegan foods are allowed inside. It's weird but it's what he wanted. 

• etrox318 likes this

pKQD1Xg.gif 
5'4" 
30 f INFP Aquarius
cw: 198
lw: 130
gw 1: 175
gw 2: 160
gw 3: 140
ugw:125

pKQD1Xg.gif

IWe3RrE.png

#13 Quinnix

Quinnix

Mildly Inappropriate Whore

• Accountability access
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationIn recovery, shamelessly drinking a latte

Posted 18 April 2020 - 06:13 PM

When I first tried being a vegetarian it was to reduce calories, and I was only trying it temporarily. When I told my parents they laughed and said "let's see how long this lasts"

So now I'm mostly doing it out of spite.

• 99mirrors, OKaP, sad_hamlet_with_a_knife and 7 others like this

They/Them/Whore

original.gif

nU14Dpl.png

#14 VelvetFires

VelvetFires

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1135 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:09 PM

I'm a vegetarian because I think meat is disgusting. I have always thought it was cruel to eat animals, but I don't think it was a major reason I became a vegetarian. One day I looked at some meat and just couldn't force myself to consume it anymore. I've been veggie for 3.5 years and now the smell of meat cooking (ESPECIALLY bacon) is super disgusting to me. I don't think I could ever go back to eating meat. 

I'm also lactose intolerant, so I only eat small quantities of diary products. Eggs don't seem to gross me out, and I enjoy eating them. A lot of my eggs come from my Grandma's pet chickens, so I don't feel bad eating them. However, I am against factory farming. I do want to try veganism out in the future, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of commitment right now. 

- Velvet - 5’4” - Vegetarian -

#15 etrox318

etrox318

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5056 posts
  • LocationNowhere near you

Posted 26 April 2020 - 11:40 PM

I'm vegetarian because eating animals bothers me. When I did before I always felt guilty, and I had to not think about it, and that felt hypocritical.
I went mostly vegan because I lost 2 grandparents to cancer and then shortly after my dad got cancer. It runs on both sides of my family, and I got terrified. But all of their cancer (breast, prostate, and stomach) could have been prevented with a wfpb diet.
But I struggle to stick to wfpb vegan, and I slide. About 6 out of 7 days of the week I stay vegan.
I try to make my bps vegan (bulimic af here) but it's tough.
https://www.myproana...-back-on-track/MY OLD ACCOUNTABILITY
https://www.myproana... MY NEW ACCOUNTABILITY
https://www.myproana...ookbooks-vegan/ MY MCDOUGALL RECIPE ADVENTURE
Female, diagnosed bulimic, previously diagnosed an-bp.
Hufflepuff, infp. Mostly vegan.
5'7"
Hw 208 BMI 32.6
Lw 105 BMI 16.4
Ugw 99 BMI 15.5
January 2021 Cw 128 BMI 20

#16 sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 915 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:53 PM

Idk how weird it is but part of the reason that I don't eat meat is because I think it's gross to eat flesh. Like, that's disgusting. Especially when you find stuff like veins. That's disgusting.

Interestingly enough, my dad used to force feed me meat too. I just didn't like any meat (except for occasionally pepperoni) when I was a kid. Honestly, if my parents had just let me eat what I wanted, I'd have been the healthiest kid. I hated most meat and my favorite food was seriously broccoli. But no. They had to force feed me unseasoned and over cooked hamburger meat.

So I've got the usual moral reasons but also just plain disgust and a weird force-feeding PTSD reaction.

I guess I just want my invisible jet. 

tumblr_n0ijpgCZnY1ry7xw9o1_500.gif

#17 sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 915 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:55 PM

When I first tried being a vegetarian it was to reduce calories, and I was only trying it temporarily. When I told my parents they laughed and said "let's see how long this lasts"

So now I'm mostly doing it out of spite.

Ngl, remembering my dad smugly saying that vegetarianism was unhealthy while chugging soda and chain smoking was a huge motivator for sticking to it.
  • Quinnix likes this

I guess I just want my invisible jet. 

tumblr_n0ijpgCZnY1ry7xw9o1_500.gif

#18 mileandtime

mileandtime

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationPawnee, Indiana

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:56 PM

Someone I know has been vegetarian his entire life, maybe even vegan. He has no idea why. His parents absolutely forbid him to have meat and he has never tried it. Anyone else in this situation? He is not religious either. 

CW: 130

HW: 145

LW: 129

CGW: 125

GW: 120

UGW: 115

5'10

this dream isn't feeling sweet

Spoiler

#19 coffeeenby

coffeeenby

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:21 AM

meat hurts my tummy. also i don't like meat except for chicken nuggets and salmon which i basically never eat anyway. i hate the way meat smells and i don't like the taste or texture but i don't mind cooking it for other people.

milk hurts my tummy also. this makes me more sad because i love yogurt and ice cream but it's worth it because i seem to have a dairy allergy/intolerance and i feel a lot better when i don't have it

eggs don't hurt my stomach but they are disgusting and i hate them so much

∴ i have become basically vegan

#20 lavendelblomst

lavendelblomst

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:27 PM

i stopped eating meat after my dad died, because eating meat made me remember him and i couldnt deal with that haha

its been 6 years and i still haven’t had a piece of meat since, and now it just feels more natural to not eat meat

im also mostly plant-based, because im lactose-intolerant, but sometimes.... i eat dairy

i also have periods where im super grossed out by the egg yolk so i can’t eat those for some time

Height: 154 cm

HW: 85 kg

CW: too damn high 

LW: 40,1 kg

my accountability

friends

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users