Anyone else vegan/vegetarian for "strange" reasons? - Page 2 - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anyone else vegan/vegetarian for "strange" reasons?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Baby Senpai

Baby Senpai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:29 PM

I originally went vegan for allergy reasons, but I'm very pleased with how it fits with my morals. I went vegetarian because I saw a dead animal that meant a lot to me, so I was like...haunted by him whenever I saw meat

#22 repulsion

repulsion

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:11 AM

I feel like I’m the only superficial person here lmao I went full vegan (not too long ago but I used to be plant based) because it makes me feel pure, also for my skin and looking better.

feels like home 

#23 androidgirl

androidgirl

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:33 AM

anything gelatinous in texture i cannot hold in my mouth, it grosses me out so much. i would always find pieces of meat would have jiggly fat, skin etc and it's just vile to me. the only meat i could eat was processed because there's no 'risk' of anything jiggly in texture. so i cut out meat all together.

the fact veggie substitutes of processed meats like chicken nuggets etc taste really similar made it so easy for me if i'm ever craving that taste.

5"5

hw: 196

cw & lw: 127

ugw: 112

#24 bonesandcoffee

bonesandcoffee

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

Nope, not vegan for strange reasons. #1 for the animals, #2 for the environment, #3 for my health which are the normal reasons I think.

I hated eating meat as a kid, but did whatever my family was doing. Went pescatarian 7 and a half years ago, went vegetarian 7 years ago, slowly cut down on dairy and eggs, went full vegan 3 years ago.

I'm a big supporter in everyone reducing meat and animal products in their diet, but I kind of hate that there's an ongoing trend in people with ED pretending or becoming vegan just to explain why they won't take food offerings and don't eat much. This perpetuates the idea that vegans are emaciated, malnourished, sick, or can't eat enough protein. 

You can be fat and vegan, healthy and vegan, or underweight and vegan. This turned into a rant lmao

• atomickitty and Gnome Chompsky like this

#25 mirrikitty

mirrikitty

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1263 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in europe

Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:12 PM

i started as being a vegan for the environment. and also because i wanted to recover from my eating disorder.. hah.. well that didnt happen.

#26 torchsongatcoda

torchsongatcoda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:32 PM

I became a vegan overnight after watching a comedy special that was actually kind of disparaging to vegans. But the comedian brought up some good points in defense of veganism regarding how it impacts the environment and I looked into it and everything he'd said was true. Plus the impact on the people in towns with factory farms and meat processing plants is pretty atrocious.

#27 paperinukke

paperinukke

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:09 PM

For me it's because it was a logical conclusion. My diet is pretty limited as it is because of being gluten and lactose free. My ex is vegan so when I was with him I learnt to use meat supplement products and just kind of stuck with it for the most part, still ate lactose free dairy products though. So eliminating milk and dairy altogether just seemed like the next step because why not. 

I don't mean to seem like I don't care about the moral aspect, it's something I've long debated on with my folks. I guess it just seemed so difficult before, somehow - now that I've realised just how big of a variety of meat free products there is, it was an easy decision all around. 

#28 /magic.bird./

/magic.bird./

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 02:00 AM

I first went vegan because I got to a place where I was sick of counting calories and wanted to eat normally, but maintain my weight. (I was 100 Lbs). And it did for awhile until I gradually got to my now normal weight of 115. I have been this way for awhile so now I’m used to it. I also live with my boyfriend who makes all our meals. So counting calories is useless now....

When I first started, it was also a personal challenge to see if I can do it. A few months in, I actually became happy....
but looking back, I never liked and was grossed out by eggs & milk. I never liked fish, except clam chowder. I never liked hamburgers. I got migraines from eating hot dogs, even if they were kosher. I never really liked the taste of meat unless it was burnt. Also I would go into a food coma if I had steak. My Dr told me when I was 16 that I was lactose intolerant, therefore after I went vegan my digestive system got better and my skin cleared up!

Also, I love animals. I’m a sensitive person. I love animals too much.

10 years later, it is a normal way of living! And I don’t really see myself living any other way.

#29 horror_girl

horror_girl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2858 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:57 PM

I've been vegetarian since I was a kid, but I've become allergic to dairy, and am now reacting to egg as well, so I'll probably end up accidentally vegan

Currently 62.6kg, 5'5.5'' tall
Follow my accountability here: https://www.myproana...e-take-control/

Previous Accountability (98 kg to 55 Kg) -  https://www.myproana...getarian/page-1

#30 Kyrie

Kyrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 12:23 AM

I’m vegan for the environment.

Watch Cowspiracy on Netflix

#31 kizel

kizel

hoochie mama

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Locationsix feet under

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:27 AM

I always hated meat because it’s really chewy and by the time I can swallow it the texture is gross and there’s no taste. Like eating rubber. The only meat I could tolerate when I was younger was chicken tenders. Any not fried chicken with bones because I get freaked out by the bone. I also hated cheese, egg, and milk. I’d only eat milk or eggs if they were ingredients in processed foods like ice cream, candy, cake, etc.

So I was unintentionally eating a vegetarian diet until I actively became one. And switching to veganism was easy.
  • repulsion likes this

i eat and puke for sport

Zb9STRv.gif

i remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

stats

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Spoiler

struggling

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Spoiler

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐

wondering why i'm still here

└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

#32 wisteriaa

wisteriaa

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

started as environmental reasons (does that count as moral?) but now i’m completely disgusted by meat because the thought of eating flesh is terrifying

5'7.5

hw- 136 lb

cw- 119.8

gw- 115

ugw- 105

bmi- 18.7

check out my accountability!

#33 pieeyedpisces

pieeyedpisces

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Locationprobably hell

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:46 PM

i went vegetarian for the normal ethical reasons about six years ago (had wanted to when i was 10/11 but parents wouldn’t buy separate food for me, so went vegetarian when i started buying my own food) and cuz i’d never really liked meat. then went vegan for some atypical reasons ~2 years later when i moved out of my parents house, aside from the normal ethical/environmental reasoning, one to symbolize to myself that from that point for the rest of my life i was gonna be making my own decisions about how i was gonna move in the world, two to help me recover from my eating disorder (not wanting to be the sickly vegan stereotype, and cuz it was easier to rationalize eating what i considered a moral option) and three, which was egoistical, that i wanted to graduate high school as a vegan. i’m really glad i did it because it taught me boundaries and reaffirmed my “question everything” motto, lol. and i think that when i’m eating maintenance it really is a healthy way to eat, compared to my family i eat way more whole foods and produce that i don’t know if i’d eat as often if i had the more convenient options they do.

there is no one else left in wide Troy who is gentle or kind to me. they all shudder at me.
like a shadow, i am and i am not.

weight.png

#34 dysmorphiclesbian

dysmorphiclesbian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:03 AM

I started being vegetarian for only one month to like...prove to myself that I could I guess? And it just stuck for 4 years because I didn't like the idea of necessitating an animal's death for food that I don't need to survive.

Why do me have sad in it?

Stats

20 years old | 5'1

CW: 145.5  HW: 156  LW: 125

GW1: 145 GW2: 130 GW3110 UGW: 95 (as if)

37-29-43

#35 Lilyofthevalley13

Lilyofthevalley13

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:13 PM

I struggle with meat because I associate it with rotting, cuts of meat regularly requiring abscesses removed from the flesh before used in cooking. Pork having Trichinella spirals or otherwise known as parasitic worms threw out the flesh. These worms are served to you and consumer once heat has killed them via FDA standards. I know most factory farmed meat is pumped full of growth hormones to make the animal bulk up and consuming this doesn't feel like anything I am interested in

#36 Mashira85

Mashira85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:32 AM

I'm vegan because, why hurt someone when you don't need to.
Animals are here with us, not for us.

I only need to hurt myself when eating. 

• atomickitty likes this

weight.png

SW: 194 lbs / 88 kg
LW: 110 lbs / 50 kg

CW: 183 lbs / 83 kg

GW: 120 lbs / 55 kg

#37 sabbers24

sabbers24

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

I'm vegan for health and also environmental reasons.

I guess my strange thing is that I really don't care about the animals feeling pain - my issue with them being killed and farmed is water/land usage and co2 levels. 

• Septsys likes this

EDNOS

weight.png?_t=1604745953

weight.png

#38 ieatmaggotsforbreakfast

ieatmaggotsforbreakfast

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Locationmy bedroom

Posted 05 September 2020 - 10:11 PM

Mostly because meat makes me sick after I eat it, but also because when I was in residential (not ed) this vegan chick constantly talked abt her veganism and guilt tripped me abt meat (she was also my roommate). So peer pressure too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ s t r i v i n g  f o r  p e r f e c t i o n ~

#39 Gnome Chompsky

Gnome Chompsky

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2217 posts
  • LocationOpening the fridge for the thousandth time

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:01 AM

I hadn’t eaten red meat of my own accord in around 3 years (couldn’t stand the fatty parts, eventually the smell of it made physically ill), my family had just gotten 5 chickens,  my dad wouldn’t stop listening to the Joe Rogan podcast and was way too enthusiastic about killing and eating things. I was horrified, but then realized that I was a massive hypocrite for getting upset when I had just been eating meat that someone else killed all my life. I’ve been vegetarian for almost a year and a half now purely because I don’t want to be a hypocrite.

This is a horrible contribution to MPA, and I regret it, but not enough to abstain from posting it.
My Boring Stats
Spoiler

#40 cosmosfreeze

cosmosfreeze

Advanced Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:53 AM

i've been called crazy for 'moral reasons' for my vegetarianism and occasional veganism, the normal reason for avoiding meat is climate-related virtue signaling where i live :D
177.3 cm - 51.6 kg (BMI 16.4)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users