Missing old pro-ana sites (Lunchbox!), meetups - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Missing old pro-ana sites (Lunchbox!), meetups

lunchbox lunchbox forums

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 lavender*

lavender*

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1867 posts
  • Location_______________ I got more and more to do and less and less to prove

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:18 PM

I cruise the meetup pages on here sometimes looking for people in my area, but it's never worked out to meet anyone on here... it doesn't really seem like anyone's actually meeting up. But it makes me nostalgic for the old pro-ana scene- I was really active on Lunchbox from about 2002-2006 maybe, and in that time I met up with three people from there relatively easily and hung out with two on an ongoing basis, and also was part of a pen pals thing where people all over the country would send each other cards and little gifts, it was super nice. And I'm not sure if the reason that all isn't happening anymore is because people are more wary of the internet now that it's been around longer and stories of stalking and all that from internet strangers etc. have been publicized, or what, but I just miss how it felt so real, like I had real relationships there, like a real community. I also met some fellow Lunchboxers a few times when I went inpatient, and it seemed then too that people were more open to saying they were on there and liked to talk to people about it irl, whereas I have never, ever heard anyone in treatment talking about MPA lol.

Does anyone relate to this, or was anyone else on the first generation (maybe second?) sites?

• Morgan le Fou, chili con carny, wiltedpurple and 10 others like this

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.

early-mid-2000s Lunchbox

#2 allthatisleftofme

allthatisleftofme

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:18 PM

I was on the first generation sites (I think), but I was pretty young. I don't really recall the names. RGP, maybe? I wasn't part of the meet-ups or anything, though. It's really interesting to hear that that's how it was at one point.

Female * INFJ * 34 y.o.

CW: 90.0 lbs. (BMI 16.1)

HW: 124 lbs. (BMI 22.2)                                       It's hard to let go of the demons inside

LW: 83 lbs. (BMI 14.9)                                          When they were the ones holding you

GW: 83 lbs. (BMI 14.9)                                                    When no one else would

UGW: 77 lbs. (BMI 13.8)

#3 VioletSkyy

VioletSkyy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1518 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:40 PM

I lived in a small ass town on an island in Canada back when these sites first came out,  I still can't find anyone in my area 99% of the time lol. I did learn a lot from them. not great long term but heyyyyy

...::Change happens when the pain of change is less than the pain of remaining the same::...

...stats moved to profile...

UGW - who fucking knows?

Do it for yourself first.

#4 lavender*

lavender*

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts
  • Location_______________ I got more and more to do and less and less to prove

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:04 AM

I was on the first generation sites (I think), but I was pretty young. I don't really recall the names. RGP, maybe? I wasn't part of the meet-ups or anything, though. It's really interesting to hear that that's how it was at one point.

I think that's first-gen, or relatively first-gen, I was also pretty young when I first joined. People talk about some pro-ana real weird stuff in the late 90s, like "breatharians" and stuff and I saw some of those sites, but I don't really think there was an actual strong pro-ana presence before the generation of sites we got on when we were young... I'm holding out for an academic to come through that wants to research and record this history lol

I also forget a lot of the names, I think there was Cerulean Butterfly, and then something like PrettyThin? Not sure, I do remember there being a decent amount of forum options then as opposed to now- I took a break for a while and was surprised to find when I came back to find out MPA is pretty much your option (and that all the original sites were gone... not sure what happened to them either)

I lived in a small ass town on an island in Canada back when these sites first came out,  I still can't find anyone in my area 99% of the time lol. I did learn a lot from them. not great long term but heyyyyy

Haha ugh I still would love a buddy in my area to get in trouble with, lol... but the people I met I had pretty healthy relationships with. People don't say some of the fucked up stuff they say on here in real life, in my experience, lol. I also keep my eye on the meet-ups near me and nothing seems to be happening. I'm just not sure if anyone meets up anymore, maybe I should post there to ask

• SkinnyMini110 and SweetNightmares34 like this

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.

early-mid-2000s Lunchbox

#5 Lloyd

Lloyd

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10846 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:51 AM

I lived in a small ass town on an island in Canada back when these sites first came out, I still can't find anyone in my area 99% of the time lol. I did learn a lot from them. not great long term but heyyyyy

On the West Coast?
Hw 249
LW 134
Cw 205 fucking hell
Gw1 160
Gw2 150
Ugw 130....for now lol

Highest step count is 60,157.

#6 Classygirlswearpearls

Classygirlswearpearls

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:29 PM

I was on anafriends in the early 2000s, I think I was on a few others, but that's the only one I remember being very active on. I never did any meetups, but I did communicate with a few people on AIM.

• Morrigan, aquilegia, Salad-Princess*^ and 1 other like this

"Anything is possible with sunshine and a little pink"

#7 motherjohnmisty

motherjohnmisty

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:39 PM

Iā€™m 31 and was super active on lunchbox during that time! I miss it too. Still have friends i met on ED live journal communities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Marissa, lavender* and nevven like this
  •  
  • Height: 5'0
  • HW: 108lbs
  • LW: 70 lbs
  •  
  • CW:91 lbs
  • GW:86 lbs

#8 Morrigan

Morrigan

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:44 AM

I was on anafriends in the early 2000s, I think I was on a few others, but that's the only one I remember being very active on. I never did any meetups, but I did communicate with a few people on AIM.

Anafriends was the best man!  :wub:

• Classygirlswearpearls, aquilegia and SkinnyMini110 like this
giphy.gif

#9 tutifruitibooti

tutifruitibooti

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:45 PM

I'm 37, but wasn't really disordered until 19-20ish, so around 2001-2. I was pretty active on LJ, I think that was the majority of my time. I remember Blue Dragonfly but can't really remember any other PA sites. I've found myself missing LJ and some old LJ friends a lot. I have one friend that I met back then that made the transition but we've never met IRL.

• illia, chili con carny, SkinnyMini110 and 5 others like this

Moving to MPA2 and EDC under the same profile names!!

tumblr_mg295gDqJE1s2n5k4o1_500.gif

145 ---  121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99

#10 89vision

89vision

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:58 PM

I was pretty active on a few LJ eating disorder sites.  I never made close friendships which makes me sad.  I miss a lot of people I met from that time and wonder how they are doing.  There are probably some people on here but I just don't know who is who.   I was a part of Purgatorium before everyone made the switch to FB. 

• illia and airdnekela like this

#11 /magic.bird./

/magic.bird./

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:43 AM

I actually never heard of LunchBox! But! I was heavily active on Live Journal 13 years ago.

#12 ifuseekbby

ifuseekbby

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:00 AM

I used to be ashamed of my ED so for years I'd either keep it as my secret or go into denial abt it.  I'd definitely avoid pro-ana websites and feel guilty if I looked at them.  I was so weird and pure it's sickening.  I think the pro-ana websites would also trigger me into feeling fat as fuck and I liked the fake healthy extremely thin appearance.  

The LJ community back in 2002-2005 was fun.  "nonuglies" was a super mean appearance rating website I got into lurking.  Omg it gave me such a complex.

#13 SkinnyMini110

SkinnyMini110

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1552 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:24 AM

I think that's first-gen, or relatively first-gen, I was also pretty young when I first joined. People talk about some pro-ana real weird stuff in the late 90s, like "breatharians" and stuff and I saw some of those sites, but I don't really think there was an actual strong pro-ana presence before the generation of sites we got on when we were young... I'm holding out for an academic to come through that wants to research and record this history lol

I also forget a lot of the names, I think there was Cerulean Butterfly, and then something like PrettyThin? Not sure, I do remember there being a decent amount of forum options then as opposed to now- I took a break for a while and was surprised to find when I came back to find out MPA is pretty much your option (and that all the original sites were gone... not sure what happened to them either)

Haha ugh I still would love a buddy in my area to get in trouble with, lol... but the people I met I had pretty healthy relationships with. People don't say some of the fucked up stuff they say on here in real life, in my experience, lol. I also keep my eye on the meet-ups near me and nothing seems to be happening. I'm just not sure if anyone meets up anymore, maybe I should post there to ask

OMG!! I was on Pretty Thin !!!! I miss that site!! and Cerulean Butterfly.  And Skinny Gossip!   OMG! I totally miss those days!!! 

SOOOO much!!!! I wish we could go back .... people are too weak to deal with those sites now.

• illia, wiltedpurple and lavender* like this

Lis4 Row3
INTJ ... "were are very rare and mostly men."

http://proanamiaed.chatango.com/ 

a place to chat with others

kik: SkinnyMini110

#0cals

a971214bac2199f155ecd41b9903868e.gif

384395da7d743e1cd4cd2441bd24e252.gif

#14 Lumen84

Lumen84

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1050 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:37 AM

I've never heard of Lunchbox but I was very active on ABC / RGP / Mind Support.
It was the only place where I felt I could really talk to people who understood.
I only met up with people a couple of times because I think I was the only one in my country on it, but still.
I agree, things felt very different.
It's how I came here, actually, looking for something similar.
I haven't been able to find anything though.
Back then I 'knew' everyone on the site.
Now, I'm happy if I recognize an avatar here or there (probably also my memory isn't what it was).

You were on RGP too!? Do you remember your username?

• Oh Happy Day likes this

30+ Discord

(I never post everything I eat.)

#15 allthatisleftofme

allthatisleftofme

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:07 AM

You were on RGP too!? Do you remember your username?

Oh gosh.. I don't. My best guesses though would be "kel" or "silversky"... what was yours?

• Oh Happy Day likes this

Female * INFJ * 34 y.o.

CW: 90.0 lbs. (BMI 16.1)

HW: 124 lbs. (BMI 22.2)                                       It's hard to let go of the demons inside

LW: 83 lbs. (BMI 14.9)                                          When they were the ones holding you

GW: 83 lbs. (BMI 14.9)                                                    When no one else would

UGW: 77 lbs. (BMI 13.8)

#16 Lumen84

Lumen84

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1050 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 03:53 AM

Oh gosh.. I don't. My best guesses though would be "kel" or "silversky"... what was yours?

Doesn't sound familiar, sorry.

I'm not sure either, I think I had a couple through the years.

Maybe Miracle? Or Starlight? Or both.

30+ Discord

(I never post everything I eat.)

#17 GigiB

GigiB

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6210 posts
  • LocationThe Promised Land

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:51 AM

Ahhhh I miss the good old ED Tumblr days. Those were the cringey best!

• illia likes this
šŸœ²
ā€āœ¹āœ©Accountability āœ©āœ¹ā€
Sugar Baby and Then Some

5'4.5"

HW:151.4

LW: 93

CW:112.6

GW1:134

GW2:115

GW3:104

UGW: 93

#18 Morgan le Fou

Morgan le Fou

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2753 posts
  • LocationEast Coast Beast Coast

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:00 AM

I remember Blue Dragonfly and PrettyThin. There were other ones too. I remember one site where they had all of this negative-talk thinspo way back in the day. God it was so long ago but feels like yesterday. I remember sites where they would just straight up have lists of proana tips. It was the wild west back then.

• Marissa, illia, wiltedpurple and 3 others like this

Height: Between 5'3" and 5'4"

HW: 135

LW: 74

CW: Hambeast

GW: Ghost

Send me a buddy request on eatingdisordercentral.com!

#19 Borderline Female

Borderline Female

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 11:27 AM

AHHH!!!! flashbacks!!!!

I was super active 2003-2006.

I was in the hardcore groups like the original Mirror Mirror forum. Took me so long to get accepted lol.

But my first and favourite pro ed site will always be RRC (Raven Rock Candy)

I remember Blue Dragonfly!

My other favorite site was proed.yuko before it got shut down. that was 2010.

My usernames were always the same. Was either Fat4life or Fat4lyfe.

• anarose724 and NinjaWorm like this

#20 Borderline Female

Borderline Female

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 11:30 AM

I cruise the meetup pages on here sometimes looking for people in my area, but it's never worked out to meet anyone on here... it doesn't really seem like anyone's actually meeting up. But it makes me nostalgic for the old pro-ana scene- I was really active on Lunchbox from about 2002-2006 maybe, and in that time I met up with three people from there relatively easily and hung out with two on an ongoing basis, and also was part of a pen pals thing where people all over the country would send each other cards and little gifts, it was super nice. And I'm not sure if the reason that all isn't happening anymore is because people are more wary of the internet now that it's been around longer and stories of stalking and all that from internet strangers etc. have been publicized, or what, but I just miss how it felt so real, like I had real relationships there, like a real community. I also met some fellow Lunchboxers a few times when I went inpatient, and it seemed then too that people were more open to saying they were on there and liked to talk to people about it irl, whereas I have never, ever heard anyone in treatment talking about MPA lol.

Does anyone relate to this, or was anyone else on the first generation (maybe second?) sites?

have you gone onto the time machine and tried to type in the old URL? BDF is now archived on there. Im going to see if i can find myself on the old RRC site lol

• wiltedpurple likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lunchbox, lunchbox forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users