Any eating disorder YA novels with a trans protagonist or character with BED? - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Any eating disorder YA novels with a trans protagonist or character with BED?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bulimicomrade

bulimicomrade

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:16 AM

I'm doing a project on eating disorder YA novels and can't find any with trans representation and the only book I found that represents BED is Butter. Does anyone know of any that have trans representation or have a protagonist with BED? I'm not sure if I suck at finding them or if there just haven't been any other young adult novels published about BED or with a trans eating disordered character.  

(here's my spreadsheet if anyone is curious: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

(the books highlighted in green are just the ones I've had time to read all the way through)

#2 lemmy the failed formalist

lemmy the failed formalist

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1220 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:29 PM

there's a book called "sugar" by deirde riordan hall about a (if i remember correctly) black obese girl (cishet i think?) who has BED and emotionally eats. i have a link to PDF if you'd like?
  • bulimicomrade likes this
PicsArt 03 29 08.14.49

all the pets i've buried

just wanted me to know

sometimes it's okay

to let a good thing go

♥ ~

highest bmi: 31.6 | current bmi: 22.6 | total difference: -9.0

♥ ~

@lemmys.food.diary on instagram

♥ ~

Spoiler

#3 bulimicomrade

bulimicomrade

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1129 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:01 PM

there's a book called "sugar" by deirde riordan hall about a (if i remember correctly) black obese girl (cishet i think?) who has BED and emotionally eats. i have a link to PDF if you'd like?

That would be amazing!

• lemmy the failed formalist likes this

#4 lemmy the failed formalist

lemmy the failed formalist

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1220 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:16 PM

That would be amazing!

okey! i havent finished it but its been great so far! i'll pm you the link ^^
  • bulimicomrade likes this
PicsArt 03 29 08.14.49

all the pets i've buried

just wanted me to know

sometimes it's okay

to let a good thing go

♥ ~

highest bmi: 31.6 | current bmi: 22.6 | total difference: -9.0

♥ ~

@lemmys.food.diary on instagram

♥ ~

Spoiler

#5 bexajourney

bexajourney

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

Wow. Weird. I just finished the first part of a story with a teen trans girl who is developing an Ed. I haven't quite figured out where I want to end up. It was sort of stream of consciousness.

HW: 297 lbs

W: 284

CW: 272.4
GW: 120 lbs

It's a process, but whether you're trying to gain, lose or maintain--be kind to yourself and others.

#6 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:32 PM

I need Not Hungry by Kate Karyus Quinn and am sooo broke. A fat bulimic, whaaat? Me?

"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain." ~ Karl Marx

#7 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1405 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:40 PM

I'm doing a project on eating disorder YA novels and can't find any with trans representation and the only book I found that represents BED is Butter. Does anyone know of any that have trans representation or have a protagonist with BED? I'm not sure if I suck at finding them or if there just haven't been any other young adult novels published about BED or with a trans eating disordered character.

(here's my spreadsheet if anyone is curious: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

(the books highlighted in green are just the ones I've had time to read all the way through)

Do you have an ebook copy of the book 'Not Hungry' by Kate Karyus Quinn? Literally I tried every option I could think of for free, and I just can't afford it. :( and I lust for it.

#8 bulimicomrade

bulimicomrade

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1129 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

Do you have an ebook copy of the book 'Not Hungry' by Kate Karyus Quinn? Literally I tried every option I could think of for free, and I just can't afford it. :( and I lust for it.

I was able to get it from my local library's hoopla collection. I can try to find it though.

#9 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1405 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:02 AM

I was able to get it from my local library's hoopla collection. I can try to find it though.

I got access to the book by a wonderful friend whom lives in the correct state. Why my state's digital library doesn't have good access is a mystery to me. However thanks for the offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users