Any good book recommendations? - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Any good book recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 waterandcrackers

waterandcrackers

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 09:28 PM

Going to residential and I'm looking for good books to read during down time.

• spookyblonde and matchaprincess like this

5'2

SW: 162

CW: FAT

UGW: 85

#2 wxngjis

wxngjis

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 09:43 PM

if you havent read any of these yet (theyre common so idrk) but then percy jackson series, hunger games, divergent, and the gone series are all really good!!
  • mileandtime likes this

#3 CreativeUsernameHere

CreativeUsernameHere

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Locationprolly off doing a questionnaire in a dank cave.

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:22 PM

I second percy jackson, hungergames and divergent, all classics imo, my go to trio of series is hunger games, divergent and lunar chroincles, I could read thoes over and over and its still like the first time. When you reach me is an all time fave of mine, I read it in like 2 hours the first time lmao. Before we were yours is also good, but its so so sad so idk it might not be the best in res if your trying to keep your spirits u[, idk, manga is also good, like cute funny ones that kinda keep you entertained, id recomend beauty pop and uh, I forgot the name, something with manic, i'll look for it and edit this to inclute it lmao. The scar boys and scar girl are also incridble, OH I JUST REMEMBERED SOME ok, so theres this book, my most favorite book. I always forget it eventhough I read it every night. I have listned to it every night for the past 3 years. Its called a walk in the woods-rediscovering america on the aplachion trail, and it is incredible. Its just what I like in a book. So good 10/10 recomend. ANotherone I used to listned to a lot but the disc got scratched, :( is called the secret life of bees, but its also really sad so idk if its the best, but it is incredible. Heart wrentching but incredible. Also, theres the Dear Evan Hansen and Be more Chill books, I love thoes so much, I just remebered the manga is called ultra maniac. So cute, its about this witch in training who fails school and has to transfer to the human world, and she gets into all sorts of crazy shit. Ok, I'll make a cohesive list of recomendations, sorry this is so long and all over the place, I am V passinate about books lol.

-Pecry Jackson - series, I cant remember all the names off the top of my head.

-Divirgent Trillogy; Divergent, Insurgent and Allegent

-Hunger Games trillogy; THe Hunger Games, Catching Fire and MockingJay.

-The lunar chronicles (its basicaly futuristic farytales, so cool!); Cinder, Scarlet, Cress (my favorite), Winter (also my fave lol)

-When you Reach Me

-Before We Were Yours (might not be the best tho)

-A walk In the Woods-Rediscovering America on the Applachion Trail

-The secret life of bees (again, might not be the best)

-Beauty Pop (its about highschool haircutting prodigies lol)

-Ultra Maniac

-Be More Chill

-Dear Evan Hansen

I think thats it, I hope you enjoy, I'd littraly hand deliver thoes books to you if I could lmao. Best of luck to you!!

• Butterfly81, bettermedaily and mileandtime like this

#4 frumpy

frumpy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:22 PM

What kind of books do you like? Are you looking for a lighthearted read or something a bit heavier? 

If you want to read a good, legendary horror novel, I suggest House of Leaves by Mark D. Danielewski. It's one of the few books that I would recommend getting a hard copy for, rather than an ebook. There's a lot of fun text layout that will keep you engaged, even though it's a pretty heavy read. Which may be a good thing, if you're looking for a book to keep you occupied for a long period of time/one thing to be engaged with over a period of time. 

Anything by Neil Gaiman is good, but my favorites are Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book. Honestly any book by Gaiman is worth a read. They are always interesting, engaging, and never too long. 

If you like YA, romance, and magical lands, I would recommend In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan. It's a light read filled with heavy emotion. A must read if you like asshole-but-loveable protagonists. Also, it's full of trope subversion! So if you like that kind of thing, definitely worth a read. A hearty novel, but not too long or heavy. 

Idk if you can have your phone in residential, but if you like fanfiction, you can always download fics onto your phone and read them that way. 

I don't know what kind of books you like, but there's always heaps and heaps of "the best of x genre" lists on goodreads. It's def worth browsing around the site and creating a to-read list! Maybe narrow down what you're looking for, and more people can send good recs your way. Best of luck!

• waterandcrackers likes this

5'5"

HW 140

CW 120.0

LW 111

GW1 115

GW2 100

GW3 95

GW3 90

UGW 85

#5 youarebeautiful1

youarebeautiful1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 11:06 PM

Harry Potter, Series of Unfortunate Events, and Roald Dahl are childhood favorites of mine. I also like don Miguel Ruiz books. Sending love your way!

#6 Mary83

Mary83

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 11:24 PM

Little Women is my comfort book- every other book by Louisa May Alcott!! I love love love classic lit 😅

If you’re into fantasy I recommend everything by Tamora Pierce (especially the Circle of Magic quartet!) & The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer!

#7 blackrose24

blackrose24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 11:27 PM

I also definitely recommend the Percy Jackson series, those are some of my all time favorite books
The Hunger Games series
The Selection series (also one of my all time favorite series)
A Man Called Ove
Beartown
Dear Evan Hansen (I prefer the musical but the book is still amazing)
Bad Girls Don’t Die series
Famous Last Words

These are some of my favorite books and series, I highly recommend all of them. Hope you find something you like!
  • bettermedaily likes this

#8 Wanna_b_paper_thin

Wanna_b_paper_thin

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2020 - 02:10 AM

- The fault in our stars (even tho it is really sad at the end it’s still my favourite)
-a series of unfortunate events

I’ll add more when I think of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 gardening

gardening

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 18 April 2020 - 02:33 AM

Norwegian Woods

A walk in the woods 

Lol very different with the same word in the title, awesome books. 

#10 LikeMyBody

LikeMyBody

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • Location🇫🇷 At home, as one should be

Posted 18 April 2020 - 02:48 AM

- Francis Scott Fitzgerald : Tender is the night, Diamond as big as the Ritz, Great Gatsby, This Side of Paradise
- Harper Lee: To kill a mockingbird
- Truman Capote: In cold blood
- Fannie Flagg : Fried Green Tomatoes
- Haruki Murakami: Kafka on the shore, After dark, Norwegian wood
- Michael Lewis: Boomerang, The big short
  • kitkat27, Chipsahoy_fo_ya_boi and deeperthanbone like this
dVWkp2.png

BMI 18.9 | 167 cm/5’6” | 52.7 kg/116.2 lbs

Accountability

4-FC84-BE5-0-CE7-4-DFC-872-F-7086-AE5549

#11 Butterfly81

Butterfly81

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:11 AM

I second percy jackson, hungergames and divergent, all classics imo, my go to trio of series is hunger games, divergent and lunar chroincles, I could read thoes over and over and its still like the first time. When you reach me is an all time fave of mine, I read it in like 2 hours the first time lmao. Before we were yours is also good, but its so so sad so idk it might not be the best in res if your trying to keep your spirits u[, idk, manga is also good, like cute funny ones that kinda keep you entertained, id recomend beauty pop and uh, I forgot the name, something with manic, i'll look for it and edit this to inclute it lmao. The scar boys and scar girl are also incridble, OH I JUST REMEMBERED SOME ok, so theres this book, my most favorite book. I always forget it eventhough I read it every night. I have listned to it every night for the past 3 years. Its called a walk in the woods-rediscovering america on the aplachion trail, and it is incredible. Its just what I like in a book. So good 10/10 recomend. ANotherone I used to listned to a lot but the disc got scratched, :( is called the secret life of bees, but its also really sad so idk if its the best, but it is incredible. Heart wrentching but incredible. Also, theres the Dear Evan Hansen and Be more Chill books, I love thoes so much, I just remebered the manga is called ultra maniac. So cute, its about this witch in training who fails school and has to transfer to the human world, and she gets into all sorts of crazy shit. Ok, I'll make a cohesive list of recomendations, sorry this is so long and all over the place, I am V passinate about books lol.

-Pecry Jackson - series, I cant remember all the names off the top of my head.

-Divirgent Trillogy; Divergent, Insurgent and Allegent

-Hunger Games trillogy; THe Hunger Games, Catching Fire and MockingJay.

-The lunar chronicles (its basicaly futuristic farytales, so cool!); Cinder, Scarlet, Cress (my favorite), Winter (also my fave lol)

-When you Reach Me

-Before We Were Yours (might not be the best tho)

-A walk In the Woods-Rediscovering America on the Applachion Trail

-The secret life of bees (again, might not be the best)

-Beauty Pop (its about highschool haircutting prodigies lol)

-Ultra Maniac

-Be More Chill

-Dear Evan Hansen

I think thats it, I hope you enjoy, I'd littraly hand deliver thoes books to you if I could lmao. Best of luck to you!!

Wow, that's a good list. I'm going to take note. I listen to alot of youtube booktubers for reviews, have you thought about maybe having a booktube channel? Just asking b/c you seem to like to read :)

#12 Butterfly81

Butterfly81

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:15 AM

Good thread topic. I'm taking notes on these ideas for Good reads above.

Have you looked up booktube book reviews on youtube? There are a ton of youtubers that have channels just about books, you can look up by your preferred genre etc. There are Alot of Young Adult authors reviewed, as well as other authors. 

How long will you be in residence do you know? Will you have any access to internet eventually?

#13 jackalyvia

jackalyvia

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2708 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 18 April 2020 - 06:28 AM

Just an FYI check your local area library esp during stay at home many if not most libraries offer free digital access to ebooks
  • Lilycollins123 likes this
"Beatus istos ille, circa pes ad terra" (Blessed art thou with thier feet to the ground)<p>-RUNNING IS LIFE-
H - 5'9" cw- 110.8

#14 Lilycollins123

Lilycollins123

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:09 PM

Just an FYI check your local area library esp during stay at home many if not most libraries offer free digital access to ebooks

this!! support your local lib <3 

height: 5'5

hw:132

cw: 118.3

next gw: 115

#15 GiselleG

GiselleG

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:41 PM

Ahhh!! Reading is my life!! Currently I’m in love with the “Mrs. Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children” series. It’s sooooo good. I also really like all of C.S.Lewis books. “Till we have faces” and “The Screwtape Letters” are amazing. Also, “ Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury is AMAZING!
  • waterandcrackers and bettermedaily like this

#16 Anorexic Fairyboy

Anorexic Fairyboy

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Locationnew york city

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:07 PM

I brought an old favorite book to residential, along with a Haruki Murakami (i think norwegian wood?) and Siddartha

Height: 5'4.5"
HW: 122

LW: 102
CW: 104.8
GW 1: 105
GW 2: 95
UGW: 80

Goals:

-Collarbones

-thigh gap of an inch

-ribs when stretching 

-ribs in general

-hipbones prominent 

-hipbones visible

-hand around wrist

-bony wrists

-hand around upper arm

-no more "flab"/minimal

-cheekbones

-spine

-shoulder blades when tensed

-shoulder blades

"If I gave up on being pretty, I wouldn't know how to be alive/I should move to a brand new city and teach myself how to die"

Spoiler

#17 swilystaff

swilystaff

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3398 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:01 AM

if you havent read any of these yet (theyre common so idrk) but then percy jackson series, hunger games, divergent, and the gone series are all really good!!

Gone was one of the most recent series I liked before I stopped reading. Very much enjoyed the entire series. I liked House of Night too, but after like 8 books it got kind of old. I don't know how many they finished with but there's a lot of them

#18 tateDx

tateDx

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1274 posts
  • Locationskaia

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:24 AM

my favourites-

the book thief

its kind of a funny story

zanes trace 

...you could always head homestuck online. just a warning, over 8000 pages. took  2 months for me and i still have the epilogues and hs2 

tumblr_pexz5tF6HP1qzhf3uo3_500.gif

┍━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━┑

|| Tate ||

- vegan -

5'3.5

‧⁺˚*・༓☾ H₂hOe☽༓・*˚⁺‧

114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 (lw) 97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90 89 88 87 86 85

19.5 19 18.5 18 17.5 17 16.5 16 15.5 15

days binge free: 8

mfp- tatiekat

┕━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━┙

#19 blossompossum

blossompossum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 01:00 AM

For accessing books I also recommend libgen, after your local library. I just downloaded Dune (iconic sci-fi series, movie adaptation coming out this year by Villeneuve who did Blade Runner 2049) and am listening to Grimes' concept-album for it, Geidi Primes, whilst I read.

You can find lots of academic papers if that's your thing (for a touch of light reading lol), encyclopaedias, etc. keep your brain stimulated if you feel like it, lots of classics on there, Homer, Gilgamesh. Just offering a different range if that's up your alley.

Re: fanficcing, AO3 (Archive of Our Own) allows you to download fics in full in .pdf or .epub format, so you can read easily on your phone or if you have sporadic access to the Internet. Fanfic is such great light reading and the tagging system lets you really find comfy long fics lol. Let us know if you have tastes in that direction, I can give you recs.

♥*♡∞:。.。 ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ 。.。:∞♡*♥

This is the only website where I get to talk about weight freely, so forgive me outlining the following:

Height: 4'11"

CW: 100lbs

HW: I experienced "reactive eating" and followed Minnie-Maud... I don't want to know what I weighed and I never shall. All the power to you if it works (I'll add that caveat).

LW: 23kg/50lbs. The BMI that works out to be is pretty awful but keep in mind I'm super short and I have a small frame to begin with.

For about 2yrs I also maintained a weight of about 32kg/70lbs and fluctuated around there.

♥*♡∞:。.。 ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ 。.。:∞♡*♥

#20 TheHumanStick

TheHumanStick

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1034 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:43 AM

Divergent, Harry Potter, any James Patterson book,legend, lord of the flies, school for good and evil

5"4.5

CW - 112

UGW - 85

Accountability 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users