Any good book recommendations? - Page 2 - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Any good book recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 kitkat27

kitkat27

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4289 posts
  • LocationHogsmeade

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:47 AM

YA: All the Bright Places (Jennifer Niven), Looking for Alaska (John Green), The Truth About Keeping Secrets (Savannah Brown)

Fiction: Spill Simmer Falter Wither (Sara Baume), To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), and anything by John Steinbeck or T Greenwood!!

Historical Fiction: All the Light We Cannot See (Anthony Doerr), Resistance Women (Jennifer Chiaverini)

Mystery/Thrillers: the Cormoran Strike series (Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling), Rust and Stardust (T Greenwood)

Self-Help: Girl, Wash Your Face (Rachel Hollis), and anything by Brené Brown

Spoiler

• waterandcrackers likes this
cb3af08714ad84d904b41e9385527428.gif
Stats:
Spoiler

#22 madcanadienne

madcanadienne

Stephen King's Queen

• Accountability access
  • 2768 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia🇨🇦

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:58 AM

Stephen King has a trilogy and the books in order are
1- Mr. Mercedes
2- Finders Keepers
3- End of Watch
and they’re my all time favourite books!! They aren’t his typical horror genre and they’re more mystery crime etc which makes them a lot more appealing to more people who aren’t really into the whole horror vibe

"M" - 21 - that pisces bitch

✧ diagnosed an-b/p + osteoporosis 

~ the l in lgbtq+ ~

🏥the dumb girl who needed CPR cause i swallowed
a piece of gum and it got stuck to my NG tube 🏥

5'8" / 173cm

sw & hw = bmi 19.3 (04/2015)

cw = 88.2 lbs / bmi 13.4 
^updated may 7/2020^

lw = 83.2 lbs / bmi 12.7 (04/2020)

gw1 = bmi 14.9 / gw2 = bmi 13.4 / gw3 = bmi 13.0

ugw = invisibility i guess, or bmi 12.3, whatever tbh

http://tellonym.me/madcanadienne

message me if you wanna add me on MFP / snap / insta / twitter !

IMG 0783

#23 madcanadienne

madcanadienne

Stephen King's Queen

• Accountability access
  • 2768 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:01 AM

And, again stephen king but trust me on this one, if you want something that’s a little close to home right now (aka a story about a weaponized flu virus that infects and kills 99% of the population) then “The Stand” is the book for you haha I’m reading it right now and it’s wild let me tell ya
  • waterandcrackers and dietcherry like this

~ the l in lgbtq+ ~

5'8" / 173cm

cw = 88.2 lbs / bmi 13.4 
^updated may 7/2020^

IMG 0783

#24 Star Breather

Star Breather

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:12 AM

It depends on what genres you like but:

'We who are about to' is a really interesting book, it's only short (possibly novella length) but it's about a group of people stranded on a planet in a kind of 'Lord of the flies'-esque way

Also the Tempe series is amazing, they're crime books from the point of view of Tempe who is an forensics anthropologists, as is the author Kathy Reichs so it's really accurate, detailed, and interesting. I'm pretty sure the tv series Bones is based on the books.

Also anything written by the beat generation, I find that their style of writing is relaxing and juxtaposed with their crazily different views on life it creates an easy interesting read

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

tumblr_inline_ovmd3uhxsJ1qmmncz_400.gif

#25 waterandcrackers

waterandcrackers

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:15 AM

It depends on what genres you like but:

'We who are about to' is a really interesting book, it's only short (possibly novella length) but it's about a group of people stranded on a planet in a kind of 'Lord of the flies'-esque way

Also the Tempe series is amazing, they're crime books from the point of view of Tempe who is an forensics anthropologists, as is the author Kathy Reichs so it's really accurate, detailed, and interesting. I'm pretty sure the tv series Bones is based on the books.

Also anything written by the beat generation, I find that their style of writing is relaxing and juxtaposed with their crazily different views on life it creates an easy interesting read

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Tempe series sounds interesting.

I like a lot of different genres, fiction and non-fiction. I really like a book that sucks you into the story and allows me to escape wherever I am. Which I feel will definitely be necessary at res. 

5'2

SW: 162

CW: FAT

UGW: 85

#26 Neverland_

Neverland_

Never grow up

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12147 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:15 AM

Sapiens

175cm/5'9

A c c o u n t a b i l i t y

https://www.myproana...-l-i-t-y-175cm/

#27 waterandcrackers

waterandcrackers

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:17 AM

Stephen King has a trilogy and the books in order are
1- Mr. Mercedes
2- Finders Keepers
3- End of Watch
and they’re my all time favourite books!! They aren’t his typical horror genre and they’re more mystery crime etc which makes them a lot more appealing to more people who aren’t really into the whole horror vibe

Ooo I feel like I would like these a lot. I love a good mystery and/or crime book and show. Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors, and Stephen King I know is great, I've never taken the opportunity to get into his books though so maybe I will now. 

• madcanadienne likes this

5'2

#28 waterandcrackers

waterandcrackers

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:19 AM

YA: All the Bright Places (Jennifer Niven), Looking for Alaska (John Green), The Truth About Keeping Secrets (Savannah Brown)

Fiction: Spill Simmer Falter Wither (Sara Baume), To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), and anything by John Steinbeck or T Greenwood!!

Historical Fiction: All the Light We Cannot See (Anthony Doerr), Resistance Women (Jennifer Chiaverini)

Mystery/Thrillers: the Cormoran Strike series (Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling), Rust and Stardust (T Greenwood)

Self-Help: Girl, Wash Your Face (Rachel Hollis), and anything by Brené Brown

Spoiler

YAS GWYF! Love me some Rae Rae Hollis, She's great. I've been wanting to get into some of JK Rowling's other books. I'll have to be careful with which books I bring because apparently my therapist at res has to approve of them, so I don't think anything ED related or similar will be permitted. 

• kitkat27 likes this

5'2

#29 waterandcrackers

waterandcrackers

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:30 AM

What kind of books do you like? Are you looking for a lighthearted read or something a bit heavier? 

If you want to read a good, legendary horror novel, I suggest House of Leaves by Mark D. Danielewski. It's one of the few books that I would recommend getting a hard copy for, rather than an ebook. There's a lot of fun text layout that will keep you engaged, even though it's a pretty heavy read. Which may be a good thing, if you're looking for a book to keep you occupied for a long period of time/one thing to be engaged with over a period of time. 

Anything by Neil Gaiman is good, but my favorites are Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book. Honestly any book by Gaiman is worth a read. They are always interesting, engaging, and never too long. 

If you like YA, romance, and magical lands, I would recommend In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan. It's a light read filled with heavy emotion. A must read if you like asshole-but-loveable protagonists. Also, it's full of trope subversion! So if you like that kind of thing, definitely worth a read. A hearty novel, but not too long or heavy. 

Idk if you can have your phone in residential, but if you like fanfiction, you can always download fics onto your phone and read them that way. 

I don't know what kind of books you like, but there's always heaps and heaps of "the best of x genre" lists on goodreads. It's def worth browsing around the site and creating a to-read list! Maybe narrow down what you're looking for, and more people can send good recs your way. Best of luck!

Thanks! House of leaves sounds good, I added it to my list, and Gaiman's books from what I've researched also sound good.

5'2

#30 Ismene

Ismene

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:33 AM

I mean, if they won't let you bring Wintergirls...

Agree with the YA ones, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Book Thief, also stuff like The Secret Garden, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - always classic!

179cm/5'10"

HW: 70/154

SW: 59/130

LW: 54.5/120

CW: 68/150

GW 1:57/125

GW2: 53/117

GW3: 50/110

GW4: 47/103

UGW: 45/99

Check out my art thread here

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d1b2515674a6c4d6f

giphy.gif

tumblr_oqq349nyhp1r75gygo4_1280.gif?w=60

giphy.gif

No matter how hard I try, I can't wash the sin from my throat

#31 waterandcrackers

waterandcrackers

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:36 AM

Good thread topic. I'm taking notes on these ideas for Good reads above.

Have you looked up booktube book reviews on youtube? There are a ton of youtubers that have channels just about books, you can look up by your preferred genre etc. There are Alot of Young Adult authors reviewed, as well as other authors. 

How long will you be in residence do you know? Will you have any access to internet eventually?

No I haven't looked on YouTube, but that's a great idea. And I'm not sure, anywhere between 4-12 weeks. I'm hoping for a month but it'll most likely be closer to three. 

5'2

#32 waterandcrackers

waterandcrackers

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:37 AM

I mean, if they won't let you bring Wintergirls...

Agree with the YA ones, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Book Thief, also stuff like The Secret Garden, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - always classic!

Omg Wintergirls *cries* my go to safety book. Yeah I don't think they'll let me sneak that one in that's for sure.

You know, I love Alice in Wonderland but never thought to read it. And I put To Kill a Mockingbird on my list!

• Ismene likes this

5'2

#33 waterandcrackers

waterandcrackers

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:42 AM

Ahhh!! Reading is my life!! Currently I’m in love with the “Mrs. Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children” series. It’s sooooo good. I also really like all of C.S.Lewis books. “Till we have faces” and “The Screwtape Letters” are amazing. Also, “ Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury is AMAZING!

Omg Mrs.  Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children is so good! 

5'2

#34 light-in-the-crack

light-in-the-crack

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2738 posts
  • Locationa castle on the moon

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:34 AM

My all time favorite book is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Stats:

Spoiler

#35 waterandcrackers

waterandcrackers

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:01 PM

My all time favorite book is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Oh I liked this movie!

5'2

#36 gardening

gardening

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:53 PM

Oh amazing volumes

The Diary of Anais Nin

#37 pixel affection ♡

pixel affection ♡

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • Locationm i d g a r

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:54 PM

Anything by Stephen King.

• madcanadienne likes this

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ "I'm not mean. I'm just starving and lost track of my moral code." ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚CW: 108lbs

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚HW: 145lbs

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚LW: 82lbs

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚GW: ????

"I'm bigger than my body."

#38 Ismene

Ismene

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1336 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

Omg Wintergirls *cries* my go to safety book. Yeah I don't think they'll let me sneak that one in that's for sure.

You know, I love Alice in Wonderland but never thought to read it. And I put To Kill a Mockingbird on my list!

I actually really enjoyed Wintergirls yeah! But imagine if you were like yep I'm just gonna read that...

The Alice books are actually pretty good, there's a lot more in both of them than in the Disney version (since that in itself also combines the two books). Super cool.

179cm/5'10"

HW: 70/154

SW: 59/130

LW: 54.5/120

CW: 68/150

GW 1:57/125

GW2: 53/117

GW3: 50/110

GW4: 47/103

UGW: 45/99

Check out my art thread here

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d1b2515674a6c4d6f

giphy.gif

tumblr_oqq349nyhp1r75gygo4_1280.gif?w=60

giphy.gif

No matter how hard I try, I can't wash the sin from my throat

#39 hwee

hwee

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1901 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:56 PM

every Bernard Werber book <3

#40 madcanadienne

madcanadienne

Stephen King's Queen

• Accountability access
  • 2768 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:13 PM

Ooo I feel like I would like these a lot. I love a good mystery and/or crime book and show. Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors, and Stephen King I know is great, I've never taken the opportunity to get into his books though so maybe I will now.

Oh if you like shows too stephen king actually turned this trilogy into a 3 season tv show!! It’s just called Mr Mercedes and it’s honestly so good! Especially because Stephen created it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ the l in lgbtq+ ~

5'8" / 173cm

cw = 88.2 lbs / bmi 13.4 
^updated may 7/2020^

IMG 0783

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users