pica vs attention seeking - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

pica vs attention seeking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 koala_

koala_

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5836 posts
  • Locationthe broken emoji in my sig is part of my aesthetic

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:35 PM

I used to swallow stuff, usually batteries but also like paper clips, thumb tacks, magnets, bobby pins, fingernail clippers (but NEVER pocket change, but my whole life I've had an extreme aversion to even touching pocket change)

It was primarily small metal objects although sometimes it'd be something like a toothpaste lid

so anyway when I was having these behaviors, sometimes it'd get dxed as pica, and sometimes as a borderline behavior

I don't think I'm knowledgable and/or self-aware enough to really know, bc it's true that I DID like the attention when people would freak out when I swallowed a battery, but it was also a really strong compulsion and I felt a lot of relief when I did it

anyway, the behavior didn't exist until adulthood and it went away when I spent 1.5 yrs ip and didn't have access

i know yall arent drs but does this sound more like a bpd behavior

accountability (with pictures!)

my breast lift before/after!

5'10

hw: 215 (30.8)

cw/lw: 105.9 (15.2) - 7/19/20

gw: 115 (16.5) - 5/13/20

gw: 113 (16.2) - 5/23/20

gw: 111 (15.9) - 6/6/20

gw: 109 (15.6) - 6/11/20

gw: 107 (15.4) - 6/16/20

gw: 105 (15.1)

gw: 104.2 (14.9)

ugw: 110 (15.8) - 6/9/20

ugw: 99 (14.2)

~ koala's thinspo ~ thongspo ~ swimspo ~ stockings ~

~ short hair thinspo ~ smokespo ~ #getcrunk ~ fur friends ~

august 4, 2019 

#2 RoseIsDreaming

RoseIsDreaming

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:38 PM

I don't have Pica so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to say (I just have some of the same habits so I feel comfortable on here a lot) but I would say you still have Pica. If someone SH's for attention, they are still hurting themselves, so its not like it disqualifies what theyve done. And liking attention doesn't mean you don't enjoy eating the things and do it only for attention. 

• Alex6000 likes this

#3 VaporwaveGirl

VaporwaveGirl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3447 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:43 AM

i think that would fall under a form of self harm especially with sharp objects or toxic ones, maybe not attention seeking - but the same can be said of cutters. maybe some do it for attention, maybe some use it as a way to cry for help

◆      O N L Y    P R O G R E S S    M A T T E R S      ◆ 

giphy.gif

◆      I obsess over food, not eating      

◆  136 - 134 - 132 - 130 - 128 - 126 - 124 - 122 - 120 - 118  

117 - 115 - 113 - 112 - 110 - 108 - 106 - 105 - 103 - 100   

Accountability:

Tips and Tricks Guide (With thinspo and memes)

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 koala_

koala_

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5836 posts
  • Locationthe broken emoji in my sig is part of my aesthetic

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:06 AM

i think that would fall under a form of self harm especially with sharp objects or toxic ones, maybe not attention seeking - but the same can be said of cutters. maybe some do it for attention, maybe some use it as a way to cry for help

this is an old topic!!! 

I have done a LOT of self exploration since this actually!!! i definitely think you are right - self harm in the form of attention seeking. i think a lot of cutters DO cut in secret for that "release", but a lot of cutters do it for attention/"cry for help" (I had someone explain it to me as "validation seeking"). and like, this is seen so negatively, but really it just means that their needs (like mine at the time) aren't being met? 

and it's weird that idk i feel like there's idea (even - possible even ESPECIALLY - among mental health professionals) that there's only one RIGHT reason to self harm, and that's to cope with depression etc etc

and that kinda leads into how some people don't cut "deep enough" [or swallow dangerous enough things] and it makes them "try harder"

not that you asked about any of that

(although side note... my thingy -self harm for attention or w/e- did develop into some sort of self soothe idek, like i think cutting does, endorphins or st)

accountability (with pictures!)

my breast lift before/after!

5'10

hw: 215 (30.8)

cw/lw: 105.9 (15.2) - 7/19/20

gw: 115 (16.5) - 5/13/20

gw: 113 (16.2) - 5/23/20

gw: 111 (15.9) - 6/6/20

gw: 109 (15.6) - 6/11/20

gw: 107 (15.4) - 6/16/20

gw: 105 (15.1)

gw: 104.2 (14.9)

ugw: 110 (15.8) - 6/9/20

ugw: 99 (14.2)

~ koala's thinspo ~ thongspo ~ swimspo ~ stockings ~

~ short hair thinspo ~ smokespo ~ #getcrunk ~ fur friends ~

august 4, 2019 

#5 VaporwaveGirl

VaporwaveGirl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3447 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:26 AM

this is an old topic!!! 

I have done a LOT of self exploration since this actually!!! i definitely think you are right - self harm in the form of attention seeking. i think a lot of cutters DO cut in secret for that "release", but a lot of cutters do it for attention/"cry for help" (I had someone explain it to me as "validation seeking"). and like, this is seen so negatively, but really it just means that their needs (like mine at the time) aren't being met? 

and it's weird that idk i feel like there's idea (even - possible even ESPECIALLY - among mental health professionals) that there's only one RIGHT reason to self harm, and that's to cope with depression etc etc

and that kinda leads into how some people don't cut "deep enough" [or swallow dangerous enough things] and it makes them "try harder"

not that you asked about any of that

(although side note... my thingy -self harm for attention or w/e- did develop into some sort of self soothe idek, like i think cutting does, endorphins or st)

sorry i didnt realize how old this topic was lmao my bad. i agree a lot od therapists have such a "by the book" way of looking at things and it sucks. it isnt always tied to depression. any mental disorder can make you wanna cut, ED being included, not feeling good enough because you have ADHD can even cause it. Im glad youve done some self expploration,, i hope you are staying safe in this crazy world lmao

◆      O N L Y    P R O G R E S S    M A T T E R S      ◆ 

giphy.gif

◆      I obsess over food, not eating      

◆  136 - 134 - 132 - 130 - 128 - 126 - 124 - 122 - 120 - 118  

117 - 115 - 113 - 112 - 110 - 108 - 106 - 105 - 103 - 100   

Accountability:

Tips and Tricks Guide (With thinspo and memes)

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users