Managing a job with your ED - Age 20+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Managing a job with your ED

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Controlandperfection

Controlandperfection

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:23 PM

Personally I have a job which is mentally and physically demanding therefore I HAVE to eat more on my work days just to be safe , anyone else feel it was easier when they were teens and just could chill at home? Like I know I eat more for work and in some ways work is also a benefit as I’m often distracted from food but overall my calories are usually higher on work days

Anyone else relate? How do you guys manage
  • rarefied_featherweight and rosegoldbones like this

tumblr_oe28w4cUzI1rp2669o1_400.gif

tumblr_nomdp3oBmT1tqq0c1o3_250.gif

Female , 21,5'4, CW: 122lb

#2 fishy

fishy

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Locationz z z

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:57 PM

I used to have a more demanding job which yeeted all my ED goals, I bartend part-time now (temporarily laid off bc covid) which makes it a lot easier to destroy my body thankfully.

cw ?

gw1 47kg

#3 Gramsci’s Ghost

Gramsci’s Ghost

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationMoka Efti

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:18 PM

My old job was 100% travel based and I never had time to stop and eat. There was always a deadline to meet, a meeting to attend, or a conference to present at, so it forced me to just keep going and never stop long enough to think about anything else. It certainly made restricting easier, but it was mentally and physically exhausting to constantly be on the go, particularly when it was a job I didn’t enjoy. Now I work in an industry where everyone is an independent contractor, so we have a lot more flexibility with when and how we want to work. Now instead of keeping busy doing something I don’t enjoy and constantly feeling burnt out, I have a healthier work/life balance. My secret to keeping busy is that I’m heavily involved in politics/activism outside of work. It gives me a sense of purpose because I’m fighting for something I believe in and even during the quarantine we’re still phone-banking and holding virtual meetings, so it’s a positive distraction.
  • brokenangle likes this

William

5ft 9, 168lb

Vegan Bodybuilder

EDNOS & High-Functioning Depression

I find it hard to feel alive

While my heart beats in borrowed time

#4 impulsecontrol

impulsecontrol

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:18 AM

I love my job and it is a great way to keep busy. I have a high energy, emotionally demanding job, and the go go go really helps me to not think. Coffee and my *prescribed* vyvanse are all that helps...

#5 catscoffeesatan

catscoffeesatan

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:03 AM

:/

• NLP and faeriedanielle like this

I no longer feel supported using this site. I have requested deletion. If a mod sees this, please my account. Thank you.

#6 NLP

NLP

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1495 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:56 AM

My job isn't particularly stressful, and not at all physically demanding, but does require attention to detail which gets affected by that foggy brain feeling. My biggest issue is my co-workers. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they create trigger points throughout my day. My boss likes to bring in high calorie, sugary, carby treats almost every day. Another co-worker tries to be conscious of me and brings in fruit/veggie trays, but I weigh all of my food and don't keep a scale on me or at work because I feel it would be weird. If I don't eat, they ask questions. If I do eat, they're commenting on my food (not in a bad way, but any comments make me anxious). Ultimately, it's a me problem.

OMG it's as if I wrote that myself!     Thanking god for Furlough right now,,,,,,,, and dreading going back to work!

• catscoffeesatan likes this

Just another functioning anorexic, anorexically dysfunctioning.....

(♡) 

#7 Rouxlette

Rouxlette

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationNeverland

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:57 PM

I work in the department of corrections, so fasting during my usual work day is extremely hard 😭 I do a lot of running around on the floor, heavy lifting, arguing with offenders, etc. Fasting makes me super snappy so I end up having a go at my co-workers, or upsetting offenders because I have my on-off days. The other officers trigger me real bad as well... Most of them are all so fit and skinny- and the other half are overweight or obese. There is no mid-ground... Even the offenders are either fit or big. Even though they work out a lot more often than I do. So... I ended up B/Ping a lot on my shift days and fasting on my RDO’s.

10/10 would not recommend working in a prison with an ED. I’ve had medical code blues called on me, which is an emergency code for nurses to come to the unit immediately. I’d passed out on the floor and was completely unresponsive for 5 minutes. Needless to say, I got sent home in an ambulance 😪

Height: 5'6 (168cm)

SW: 82.6kgs (182.1Lbs)

GW: 45.0kgs (99lbs - 15.9BMI)

UGW: 30.0kgs (66.1lbs - 10.6BMI)

---------------------------------------

Insta: @Fcukcalories
Accountability: https://www.myrproan...s-120lbs-99lbs/

#8 themsads

themsads

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1463 posts
  • Locationtropical shithole

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:26 PM

I work in health research LMAOOOO

it's a desk job but requires lots of thinking.

One time I tried to just walk around during my lunch break and when I came back I was just staring at my screen when the task was super simple. Because of the quarantine I'm here at home high restricting and its much easier, but I also attribute that to my overall improved health because I don't get sleep deprived and don't have to spend at least 4 hours commuting

This is suuuper privileged (specially where I"m from) but I love this quarantine and I don't want to come out of it yet. Time passes either way but I like this one more

• faeriedanielle likes this

23 / 5'1
an idiot

☂HBMI 23.4 (110, 20.8☀LBMI 18.9

#9 stereodraig

stereodraig

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCardiff, Wales

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:37 PM

I've always found it so much easier to lose weight working retail then office work or during school. I'm always on my feet with retail and burning calories, I get regular cigarette breaks and my mind is always kept busy. Only problem is that I work at a cafe type place. I have to stand around delicious smelling food and cakes all day and handling them (barely anything we sell is healthy) but I get unlimited free coffee so that's a win.

~*vegetarian*~

167cm

HW: 59.9kg

LW: 48.1kg

CW: 50.7kg

BMI: 18.2

55.7   54.4   53.0   51.7   50.1   48.7   47.4

46.0   44.4   43.3   41.7   40.3   39.0

226b6b0986a98ddbabead7bb1c4460f115150658

#10 Venusinfleurs

Venusinfleurs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:11 PM

I work in a bar, it can get pretty intense sometimes. Some shifts are easier to manage than others, but I had to leave earlier a few times because I was too unwell and/or fainting or something. The guilt of leaving my coworkers behind because of this is horrible.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

#11 Fatfuvk

Fatfuvk

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationsomewhere on earth

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:42 PM

My job is not ideal I'm a barista at at Grocery store which means I'm constantly surrounded by food and fattening beverages.  Recently if I feel like I need energy I'll drink this energy drink called CLEAN energy its Yerba Mate and it's only like 30 cals which I can stomach.  But due to Covid and other unrelated things my department merged with the bakery department and that is the worst fucking thing let me tell you.  I'm constantly being given sweets and snacks and I hate it, its really awkward to say no but I feel like shit if I give in and eat that kinda junk :(

13149221.png

"Pretty Girls Don't Eat"

#12 faeriedanielle

faeriedanielle

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:32 AM

my office isn't too bad - working from home for the considerable future which is tough bc i'm with my partner and we eat together, harder to skip lunch as i would at work usually...

/// d / 23 / uk 

• height: 168cm 
  • hw: 160 lbs 
  • cw: 127 lbs
  • gw: 110lbs
  • lw: 102 lbs

tumblr_n7cb88hac61ttx0y9o1_500.gif

#13 rosegoldbones

rosegoldbones

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:19 AM

I work as a hairstylist now, I'm on my feet all day every day doing hair and it gets soooo exhausting, it usually bumps my TDEE up to 2200/day (which is nice tbh). However, it makes it really hard to resist food because my body just craves the energy. Luckily we only get 30 mins for lunch, so it's not like I can go far, but I work at an extremely popular salon so it's in a really popping part of town and there's tons of delicious, fatty food nearby. I try and just run over to the grocery store and eat pineapple when my blood sugar is low but it's hard to resist all the fast food you walk past on the way! With quarantine it's been so much easier to restrict because I'm only awake like 12 hours a day as opposed to 16 (it's a lot easier to resist food when you're not conscious lmao) and getting food requires getting dressed and brushing my hair, which I'm just not about these days.

Personally I have a job which is mentally and physically demanding therefore I HAVE to eat more on my work days just to be safe , anyone else feel it was easier when they were teens and just could chill at home? Like I know I eat more for work and in some ways work is also a benefit as I’m often distracted from food but overall my calories are usually higher on work days

Anyone else relate? How do you guys manage

I totally agree!! I once had someone rip me apart because I said I found it easier to restrict when I was at home. I'm just wayyy less likely to leave my house to go get binge food lol. And having life not be nearly as physically demanding left me a lot of room to restrict!

I've always found it so much easier to lose weight working retail then office work or during school. I'm always on my feet with retail and burning calories, I get regular cigarette breaks and my mind is always kept busy. Only problem is that I work at a cafe type place. I have to stand around delicious smelling food and cakes all day and handling them (barely anything we sell is healthy) but I get unlimited free coffee so that's a win.

This is super interesting to me! I've seen this view point a lot and I had such an opposite experience lol. I actually developed my ED while working as a cook in a kitchen. I was a waitress for 4 years and my weight was always fluctuating because it was so hard for me to resist food while I was running around burning so many calories! My last serving job, my boss would have me take shots and cook huge banquets after we closed at 10pm lmao. I gained like craaaazy there. More power to you for being so strong willed!

tumblr_mwfkdtnx8q1rfjowdo1_500.gif

152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130
129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116

5'8" 

#14 Mcrabbyv

Mcrabbyv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:57 AM

I work in a residential behavioral health program with clients struggling with drug abuse, and a lot of our clients also have dual diagnoses so I’ve also worked with clients with eating disorders which feels so fucked up and hypocritical but here we are. I work nights so I’m mostly left alone at a desk all night, and I’m the weekend shift lead which means on the weekends I’m moving around a bit more, doing paperwork and billing and stuff like that but its not a significant amount of activity.

Day shifters have the option to eat at work, meaning they eat the same meals as the clients but I always bring my own lunch. I have a coworker that constantly is offering to go to QT and get snacks for everyone and I always tell her no and she brings them anyway. Most of the time the snacks end up in the drawer with a note saying that anyone can help themselves to them. 

I refuse to eat my snacks in front of my coworkers because I dont want any questions about it, and I dont eat breakfast with the clients even though breakfast time is during shift change so the first shifters come in and get a plate while we staff about the night and the day to come. 

Right now its really manageable for me, but I’m worried about something bad happening over night, like a code blue or something of that nature. I get worried I’ll be all brain foggy on a bad night and I wont be able to do my job efficiently and serve the clients to the best of my abilities. I’m really thankful I don’t work days, because its a lot of socializing with coworkers and clients and you’re never left alone for more than 2 minutes as long as a client is even awake. I do sometimes wish I worked days, just because I’d be more active. 

The whole thing feels super hypocritical though and makes me feel pretty shameful, especially if my generous coworker brings cookies, and 
I want to eat them but instead end up chewing and spitting at my desk while my equally as fucked up clients are sleeping peacefully in their rooms, 20 feet away. It feels grimey sometimes. 

#15 poolcleaner

poolcleaner

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:32 AM

It was getting really awful at my old job because we had a kitchen and snacks and that's usually where people wanted to brainstorm shit. That mixed with the general boredom of being at work and my awful commute made it really hard to not binge. Quar has made not eating much easier, but I've been drinking way too much.

#16 Tr1ngmyb3st

Tr1ngmyb3st

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:19 AM

I quit my old job as an assistant manager of a fast food restaurant specifically to get tf away from the food. I now work in a warehouse where my entire job is to unload and load boxes onto pallets. I lift heavy things and walk on average 5.5 miles every day at work, so I'm afraid to restrict very much or at all on work days. I'm extremely replaceable because of the high demand for jobs so I'm afraid to let my performance suffer, though I really want to just live off of coffee and cigarettes.

#17 Chlorophyll

Chlorophyll

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2455 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:55 AM

I can definitely relate! I recently passed out at work because I let my blood sugar and iron levels get too low. :(

• rarefied_featherweight likes this

#18 NoFlyBy

NoFlyBy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:36 PM

When I was working retail 35+ hours a week, I absolutely spiralled. 20k+ steps a day, wouldn't eat all day, B/P every night. That job was so so horrible. They had me running a department of the store but my schedule was all over the place and I couldn't balance my life, so everything became a cycle of work-B/P-pass out-repeat. I was eventually let go because I kept fucking up because I was so stressed and out of my mind.

I was going to say "never again", but I've actually been considering getting another similar job just to break out of this maintenance BS I've been stuck with for a week and a half lol

Doesn't matter where I've been. Only where I am, and where I'm going. Losing until I like how I look and feel satisfied.

Car enthusiast
Obsessed with walking
An island, sometimes paradise, sometimes deserted
My cat and my car are the only entities I'll ever truly trust and rely upon lol

Spoiler

5.6.5 🌼 HW 156.6 🌼 LW 113.6 🌼 CW 118.8 🌼 GW 106 🌼 UGW 97 🌼

🌼 16.9 🌼

🌼⭐🌼

🌼

6/7 118.8

What a shame, until my CW is always my LW/UGW.

#19 rarefied_featherweight

rarefied_featherweight

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:51 PM

I HAVE to eat more when I work. I teach preschool. Imagine fainting when your alone with twelve three-year-olds. That would be super shitty.
  • wiggenweld likes this

height: 5'10

hw: 160

lw:110

gw1: 140

gw2: 130

gw3: 120

My old before and afters---> https://www.myproana...ore-and-afters/)

#20 wiggenweld

wiggenweld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:22 AM

I HAVE to eat more when I work. I teach preschool. Imagine fainting when your alone with twelve three-year-olds. That would be super shitty.

I feel you. I teach junior/high school. I get lots of steps during the day because I refuse to be one of those teachers who sits behind a desk all day, but it also means I'm conscious of how students would react if I passed out while teaching a lesson. I also don't want to appear super hypocritical while encouraging them to eat healthy but never eating myself, so I always feel like I need to have a decently healthy response when they ask me what I had for lunch if I ask them if they've had anything to eat during the day.

Also, no one wants to be that teacher who's super grouchy all the time, I just wish that there were less sugary/carby foods in the staff room. Why do people never bring fruit or veggie trays into work? Why is it always sugar?

• evanished likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users