Managing a job with your ED - Page 2 - Age 20+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Managing a job with your ED

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 brokenangle

brokenangle

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:39 AM

My old job was 100% travel based and I never had time to stop and eat. There was always a deadline to meet, a meeting to attend, or a conference to present at, so it forced me to just keep going and never stop long enough to think about anything else. It certainly made restricting easier, but it was mentally and physically exhausting to constantly be on the go, particularly when it was a job I didn’t enjoy. Now I work in an industry where everyone is an independent contractor, so we have a lot more flexibility with when and how we want to work. Now instead of keeping busy doing something I don’t enjoy and constantly feeling burnt out, I have a healthier work/life balance. My secret to keeping busy is that I’m heavily involved in politics/activism outside of work. It gives me a sense of purpose because I’m fighting for something I believe in and even during the quarantine we’re still phone-banking and holding virtual meetings, so it’s a positive distraction.

Activism has really helped my waistline too!
Instead of sitting at home, I'm running around or at least standing in the sun. Too busy to eat if I'm at a protest. I dropped about 8lbs in 2 weeks as soon as I started getting out there.
Plus... being part of something bigger than myself was something I needed in my life. It helps with depression/depression binging for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
  • D.n.A and peach dreams like this
I am so sorry! I had no idea my signature was insanely long.
I forgot I wrote that.

#22 Mesnyi

Mesnyi

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:35 AM

I feel this.

Im finding it really hard lately to keep my focus. I work in a government body at a higher level so focus is super important right now. Especially with the current state, its made my already very demanding job a lot more intense. I feel my work is suffering but im just about keeping it together and still one of the top performers (I have no fucking idea how) its a desk job so not physically demanding but mentally extremely so. There is just so much pressure on me right now its making my habits worse and job harder, making the pressure harder. Fucking cycle. Crazy because they have so much shit about 'posative mental health' but then absolutely bury us.

I have the day off today and my son is at his grans (is allowed under our new guidance) so ive just spent the day in bed missing my teenage life of not having to cope with this shit on top.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

My Accountability

Hypothyroidism|BPD|Depression|Anxiety|Dyslexic    

Recovered now Relapse

#23 Anorexorcism

Anorexorcism

Wannarexic scum

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7138 posts
  • LocationIn the temple of the Goddess Ana.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

I've been finding it really difficult, there is always food around at work and I keep eating even though I'm trying to follow my meal plan. Been considering quitting even though I've only been doing it for two weeks as have gained 10lbs since starting.

Super awesome threads:

ǝsɐǝld dlǝH

URGENT HELP

I think I might be allergic to my girlfriend.

***URGENT***

Link between CCTV and Obesity

I'm not okay but that's okay.

I'm not suicidal I'm die-curious.

#24 Pieces

Pieces

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:16 PM

My job makes it pretty easy to restrict most of the time as it's a desk job, it does require concentration but coffee helps with that. It's working from home that's difficult, I moved back in with my parents for quarantine as I would've 100% became an alcoholic if I stayed living alone during this, I don't need that on top of an eating disorder lol. I am working from home and it can be difficult as my parents notice I don't eat all day and constantly try offer me food. Even tho I'm at a high bmi now ("recovery" happened lol) they're still suspicious. I am still managing to eat between 100 - 900 calories under their noses though, it's when I want to fast it's difficult. 

#25 RayDelSol

RayDelSol

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationHell???

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:33 AM

So im a line cook and working in a kitchen while fasting is okay for like, 2 days

And it makes it easy to restrict bc having to resist the urge to binge 6-8 hours a day is e f f o r t

But i got in trouble after about a 4 day fast when my coworker/sorta-manager (who i love, shes one of my best friends) found out and realized that id nearly passed out multiple times that day. In a hot kitchen. With knives and sharp corners and people carrying hot shit. So that sucks. But fuck it if anyone knows how to avojd going pale and zonjng out like that pls share bc i neeeeed to fast

i guess im not recovered anymore lmao kill me

#26 niknakk

niknakk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:45 AM

I am a scientific researcher. I'm on my feet all day and have to continuously do calculations, plan out experiments and do several tasks simultaneously, as well as following sometimes long and complex protocols. I routinely can work 10+ hours a day and 6 days a week. When restricting I can feel my concentration drop, especially when evenings and "off time" is meant to be spent doing analysis or writing.
  • automaticstop likes this

#27 ddddog

ddddog

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:00 PM

I have a v mentally draining detail oriented job and it pisses me off how I can’t do it when I’m heavy restricting. Week off next week and I can’t wait to restrict more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 Martiiiina

Martiiiina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:35 AM

I am a scientific researcher. I'm on my feet all day and have to continuously do calculations, plan out experiments and do several tasks simultaneously, as well as following sometimes long and complex protocols. I routinely can work 10+ hours a day and 6 days a week. When restricting I can feel my concentration drop, especially when evenings and "off time" is meant to be spent doing analysis or writing.

I am the same here. I work in a clinical biochemistry and genetics laboratory, and work days are like +10 hours, plus the concentration you need to write your papers, publish, etc. I cannot allow myself to eat less than a certain amount as I would be less productive. I’m also very competitive and ambitious, so I think my job is what stimulates me the most to eat...

#29 rcanina

rcanina

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1881 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:49 AM

hf modelling leant itself

#30 birdhi

birdhi

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 August 2020 - 03:10 AM

I worked full time as an EMT from 18-21 (while being a full time student). Recently (im 21 now) I had to quit due to it being extremely stressful (and my ED/health has deteriorated significantly). I worked in a bunch of different settings; an ambulance, a general emergency department, a pediatric emergency department, and most recently a psychiatric hospital. All of the jobs were really stressful & at times traumatic (people/children dying, really sick people, violence, etc - I'm sure you can imagine). Working at the psych hospital is what ultimately pushed me to finally leave that entire field of work (at least for now). Not only can I barely work (due to physical health, was passing out, having hypoglycemia), I was also taking so much medical leave for hospitalizations. I was having panic attacks multiple times a shift. The hospital did not treat people with EDs but of course sometimes that would be a cooccuring diagnosis, which was always really stressful & awkward for me.

But yeah I just decided with school & my health it was absolutely too much. My doctor says I should be working at all (and should honestly be on medical leave from school too, but I love school), I recently got a part time job at a restaurant which I'm starting this week. I'm hoping it'll be calmer/less anxiety inducing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#31 peach dreams

peach dreams

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2068 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

Currently I work full time at a grocery store and I find I have to eat a lot more than I am used to for that. Before this I had a part time office job and was a full time student- I could easily OMAD 500 calories a day and be fine, maybe have a protein shake in the morning or something. But, nope, CANT do that when you're on your feet all day. I'm moving around constantly, talking to people, and moving heavy boxes to stack the shelves. I need to eat more like 1000-1200 which is hard for me to do without binging. I just started about 2 months ago, but it has been a struggle for me for sure. I just need to find the right balance of it all i guess. 

#32 prettyprettypegasus23

prettyprettypegasus23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAB, Canada

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:39 PM

Went from a desk job as a librarian back to retail due to COVID. Retail is waaay better for my ED as no one brings in snacks for others and I'm on my feet all day. I miss the intellectual stimulation but I don't miss the sedentary lifestyle. (I really suck at exercising outside of work.)
28 F - Bi/Pan - H: 5'5.5" / 166 cm
CW: 143.8 lbs / 66.1 kg [-6.2 lbs]
BMI: 23.6 [-1.0]
EDNOS relapse
GW: 130 lbs / 59 kg / BMI 21.3
UGW: 112 lb / 51 kg / BMI 18.4
SW: 150 lb / 68 kg / BMI 24.6
HW???: 155 lb / 70 kg / BMI 25.4
LW: 108 lb / 50 kg / BMI 17.7

ADHD, anxiety, bipolar type II, BPD, depression, DID, Hypothyroidism

#33 chocolatewaif

chocolatewaif

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4636 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:25 AM

I am really contemplating increasing my calories because I haven't been able to concentrate at all this year (saw my main gw tho, lol).

I'm a tech writer/journalist/influencer. Pretty much the only time I have any brain function is post binge. I'm currently behind on pretty much every project I have.

I wanna be special. So fucking special.

Height: 5'5"

Current: 121.5 | Start: 142 | Goal: 120 Ultimate: 110

#34 SlimFeelings

SlimFeelings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:36 AM

My job isn't as stressful as everyone else's but it does get physical sometimes. Plus I'm mostly on my feet and moving stuff.

So I have to eat. I've tried fasting all day before and I nearly fainted when I lifted my arms up to do something.

.+*Be Well Everyone. Life Is Too Short.*+.

vnJ9adw.png

+*SW-172~+*+~CW-146.6~+*+~GW-145~+*+~UGW-135*+.

#35 halfmoonkid

halfmoonkid

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1822 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:37 AM

I work (mostly) full time in retail. I swear it's the only reason I'm not 500 pounds by now. I burn a ton of calories and I've actually maintained the past few months instead of gaining 20+ pounds like I should have. When I work full shifts I easily burn over 3,000 for the day. If only I could get my eating under control...

STATS:

5'9

CW: 141.6 (20.9) [March 30]

GW 1: 135 (19.9)

GW 2: 129 (19.0)

GW 3: 122 (18.0)

UGW: 115 (17.0)

LW: 119.2 (17.6), January 2016

~~10 hearts for April~~

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

#36 GPT-42

GPT-42

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:12 AM

Yeah, I'm starting my new job as a programmer at a fairly high stakes company soon, and I'm a bit worried about it. Especially since my restriction tends to coincide with depressions where I'm less productive anyway.

I was able to get by at uni full time really easily while restricting, so I'm hoping work will be the same, but I'm not entirely sure.

#37 Paralysed Panda

Paralysed Panda

The Potato Council

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19044 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 11 October 2020 - 07:36 AM

I 'miss' being in uni. 

I would often skip classes, and just stay home, drowning in my ED. It was easy.. I was living alone and had no-one to check up on me. 

Now I have an office job. People notice if/when I lose weight. People often comment on the fact that I snack on fruit throughout the day instead of sitting down and having lunch. 

It was definitely easier when I was younger.

♡  ... I Just Want To Be Happy ...  

I ain't scared of the fall, I have felt the ground before - The Weeknd.

732.gif?5975

#38 swilystaff

swilystaff

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3941 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

Having a physically and emotionally draining job, then adding a second one, actually made it much easier to fall into my ED. I'm not focusing on school at the moment and definitely not having to deal with high school. 

I get to burn tons of calories and spend my day doing a (Shitty) job and get paid AND get a distraction from eating? Yes please. At school (high school and college) I'm sitting through a class I probably don't give a single shit about and I'm staring at the clock hoping it's over, stressed that I'm not paying attention to the shitty class, and thinking about how I want food to pass the time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users