Managing a job with your ED - Page 2 - Age 20+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Managing a job with your ED

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 brokenangle

brokenangle

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:39 AM

My old job was 100% travel based and I never had time to stop and eat. There was always a deadline to meet, a meeting to attend, or a conference to present at, so it forced me to just keep going and never stop long enough to think about anything else. It certainly made restricting easier, but it was mentally and physically exhausting to constantly be on the go, particularly when it was a job I didn’t enjoy. Now I work in an industry where everyone is an independent contractor, so we have a lot more flexibility with when and how we want to work. Now instead of keeping busy doing something I don’t enjoy and constantly feeling burnt out, I have a healthier work/life balance. My secret to keeping busy is that I’m heavily involved in politics/activism outside of work. It gives me a sense of purpose because I’m fighting for something I believe in and even during the quarantine we’re still phone-banking and holding virtual meetings, so it’s a positive distraction.

Activism has really helped my waistline too!
Instead of sitting at home, I'm running around or at least standing in the sun. Too busy to eat if I'm at a protest. I dropped about 8lbs in 2 weeks as soon as I started getting out there.
Plus... being part of something bigger than myself was something I needed in my life. It helps with depression/depression binging for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I am so sorry! I had no idea my signature was insanely long.
I forgot I wrote that.

#22 Mesnyi

Mesnyi

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:35 AM

I feel this.

Im finding it really hard lately to keep my focus. I work in a government body at a higher level so focus is super important right now. Especially with the current state, its made my already very demanding job a lot more intense. I feel my work is suffering but im just about keeping it together and still one of the top performers (I have no fucking idea how) its a desk job so not physically demanding but mentally extremely so. There is just so much pressure on me right now its making my habits worse and job harder, making the pressure harder. Fucking cycle. Crazy because they have so much shit about 'posative mental health' but then absolutely bury us.

I have the day off today and my son is at his grans (is allowed under our new guidance) so ive just spent the day in bed missing my teenage life of not having to cope with this shit on top.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

My Accountability

Hypothyroidism|BPD|Depression|Anxiety|Dyslexic    

Recovered now Relapse

#23 Anorexorcism

Anorexorcism

Wannarexic scum

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7068 posts
  • LocationIn the temple of the Goddess Ana.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

I've been finding it really difficult, there is always food around at work and I keep eating even though I'm trying to follow my meal plan. Been considering quitting even though I've only been doing it for two weeks as have gained 10lbs since starting.

Super awesome threads:

ǝsɐǝld dlǝH

URGENT HELP

I think I might be allergic to my girlfriend.

***URGENT***

Link between CCTV and Obesity

I'm not okay but that's okay.

I'm not suicidal I'm die-curious.

#24 Pieces

Pieces

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:16 PM

My job makes it pretty easy to restrict most of the time as it's a desk job, it does require concentration but coffee helps with that. It's working from home that's difficult, I moved back in with my parents for quarantine as I would've 100% became an alcoholic if I stayed living alone during this, I don't need that on top of an eating disorder lol. I am working from home and it can be difficult as my parents notice I don't eat all day and constantly try offer me food. Even tho I'm at a high bmi now ("recovery" happened lol) they're still suspicious. I am still managing to eat between 100 - 900 calories under their noses though, it's when I want to fast it's difficult. 

#25 RayDelSol

RayDelSol

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1467 posts
  • LocationHell???

Posted Yesterday, 12:33 AM

So im a line cook and working in a kitchen while fasting is okay for like, 2 days

And it makes it easy to restrict bc having to resist the urge to binge 6-8 hours a day is e f f o r t

But i got in trouble after about a 4 day fast when my coworker/sorta-manager (who i love, shes one of my best friends) found out and realized that id nearly passed out multiple times that day. In a hot kitchen. With knives and sharp corners and people carrying hot shit. So that sucks. But fuck it if anyone knows how to avojd going pale and zonjng out like that pls share bc i neeeeed to fast

i guess im not recovered anymore lmao kill me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users