Hair vitamins? - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Hair vitamins?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Honeysmi

Honeysmi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:01 AM

Do these work? What hair vitamins do you use? What do you absolutely not recommend? I know brittle hair is a side effects of eds but I wanna grow my hair out?

#2 seasnake

seasnake

Serpent God of Fasting

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16971 posts
  • LocationHouston, we have a problem

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:12 AM

One of my friends owned a hair salon. He said that biotin made a huge difference and he could tell the difference between the hair of those who took biotin and those who never. Since I wasn't one of his customers, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt upon it.

I have long hair, and what works best for me is simply to always use shampoo and conditioner that moisturizes. That likely has more to do with my own personal hair than anything else, but for me it makes all the difference in the world.

ae7a7e11-869c-4061-8104-7c97b5ca9644_1.4

This brand works the best for me.

• ash~doll likes this

I was once told that you are what you eat and then I just cried and cried and cried cause no matter how much I wanted to be one I just couldn't bring myself to eating a skinny person.

My threads:   The Fasting Game    My Fasting Game Spreadsheet    Youtube Exercise Videos (No-Equipment): Organized into Routines    The Whoosh Effect    My Profile    My Pics

#3 AnaMajima

AnaMajima

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:28 AM

WHatever you do, just dont buy biotin. It's a total scam. I bought some then I looked it up and realized it's really not needed as a supplement and doesnt do shit. Also it can cause acne

I think protein is good for hair bc thats what hair is made of. But other than that idk 

• skinnybears and Abbey84 like this
87781558_1726606780813098_61558821360762

#4 Abbey84

Abbey84

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1156 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:38 AM

WHatever you do, just dont buy biotin. It's a total scam. I bought some then I looked it up and realized it's really not needed as a supplement and doesnt do shit. Also it can cause acne

I think protein is good for hair bc thats what hair is made of. But other than that idk

Yeah I read about biotin, it's a waste of time - funny because it always seems to be everyone's first suggestion. I think you're right about the protein, makes more sense to me.

On another note, nice to see you back! How you doing lately?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  • AnaMajima likes this

#5 AnaMajima

AnaMajima

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:06 AM

Yeah I read about biotin, it's a waste of time - funny because it always seems to be everyone's first suggestion. I think you're right about the protein, makes more sense to me.

On another note, nice to see you back! How you doing lately?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Aw thanks for noticing :wub:

A lot of things (both good and bad) happened while I was gone and I kind of fell back on eating a lot but at the end I ended up losing and breaking my plateau! And now I'm back on my shit lol

Good to be back  :D

• Abbey84 likes this
87781558_1726606780813098_61558821360762

#6 Caffiend.

Caffiend.

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:52 AM

I've been using Sugar Bear Hair gummies for years and I love it. 

Breaking out with Biotin can happen in some people due to supplementing throwing off the ratio between biotin and B5 (pantothenic acid). So for any hair/nail/skin vitamin be sure to check out the nutrition label to ensure that it also includes B5.

I managed a supplement store years ago when I was hunting down the right supplement, nothing I had access to ordering for the store was as comprehensive as the Sugar Bear Hair gummy formula. Which is funny because I brushed it off for long time due to the celebrity endorsements, but it's quite great! 

[28] [INFJ] [5'8] [HW: 197] [CW: 182] [GW: 150]

Accountability

#7 babybluee

babybluee

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:31 PM

i've used biotin (5k-10k dosage) on and off for years and i swear by it! i notice a huge difference when i start taking it. You just have to get a high enough dosage. And obvi if you breakout stop taking it, but i've never noticed that happening to me before

• Zeroquel and anorexicwaffle like this

#8 jetski

jetski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Locationjydeland

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:43 AM

i've used biotin (5k-10k dosage) on and off for years and i swear by it! i notice a huge difference when i start taking it. You just have to get a high enough dosage. And obvi if you breakout stop taking it, but i've never noticed that happening to me before

Vouch on this one. Biotin is really effective. But you have to be careful, you WILL not just grow extra hair on your head, but everywhere else. That's why I stopped taking it.

#9 redtree

redtree

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts
  • Locationin your hEEEeeaaad ZOMBIE ZOM BEH EH EH

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:28 AM

Do. Not. Take. Biotin. 

...without doing a lot of research

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but you'd have to do extensive research. Not all biotin is equal! Biotin is made up of several vitamins and a lot of manufactured tablet form of biotin is made synthetically.

The quality of biotin, where it was sourced from and how it was manufactured, AS WELL AS how that interacts specifically with your body, is what will be a determining factor(s) if it works for you or not. 

There are many details and nuances to consider. This also includes your own body's chemistry. Proper absorption of a large amount just sitting in your system has the potential to pose a really big problem if your body specifically will react poorly to it. Also if you have an ED, chances are your body might have some issues. It is unsafe to take high doses of any supplement.

and there's just no way to know without either 1. Spending a lot of money to get things tested in a lab and get bloodwork done, or 2. Just blindly jumping in hoping for the best

Biotin can be relatively harmless, it just depends on the things I mentioned above. But how are you going to know for sure? If used improperly, high amounts of anything can wreak havoc on your body's health. (Granted, we are ironically speaking about this on an ED forum but whatever lol)

Genetics play a HUGE role in how your hair is. There's not anything you can really do to change those genetics. 

But with that being said, Biotin used externally on the hair can have a temporary strengthening effect. It can also be similar to keratin in its makeup, so if you use too much of it without a lot of moisture as well, it can make your hair break off. A lot of people will unknowingly make their hair more brittle with too much biotin or keratin, but as long as there is moisture too it will be fine.

Anyways... Literally your best bet of growing your hair is to get proper nutrition, and dependent on your genetics.

source: I've been a hairstylist/barber for over a decade

p.s. Edit: sorry if this came off as preachy or pretentious...I didn't mean to, and just care about information lol

<3

• skinnybears, luinil_nierninwa, closethedoor and 1 other like this

gallery_4356_2145_32545.jpg

#10 lanasyayo

lanasyayo

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:27 AM

best thing for me was taking a regular multivitamin daily (or at least i think that’s what made my hair grow like crazy). also, don’t wash it every day especially if u have brittle hair. try not to use heat, don’t use a ton of products. just be super gentle with your hair. trim it regularly. i’m pretty sure your hair is three months behind so like. if you started a vitamin you wouldn’t see results for three months but idk if that’s true.

recovery attempt #45643676

#11 GirlsWithoutShadows

GirlsWithoutShadows

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationMagical Land of Oz

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:51 AM

I’ve noticed that if I put vital proteins collagen in my coffee it seems to really help out with my nails and hair (and it’s completely tasteless).
  • ash~doll likes this
oneday

HW: 132    CW: 123.6    GW #1: 118    GW #2: 111    UGW: ???

#12 mahou_shojo

mahou_shojo

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:06 PM

The only supplement I've heard 100% that works is viviscal(?) its expensive but I know Taylor r used it when she was underweight and her hair was NICE
  • chelseasloanegirl and ash~doll like this

#13 Mitortuga

Mitortuga

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:41 AM

Hair Anew works for me. I started taking it to help grow out a really REALLY bad pixie cut. That was 4 years ago and I still take them. They also helped my nails, which were horribly brittle. I get them on Amazon.

5'4"
lw: 105
hw: 210

gw1: 160

gw2: 130
ugw: 115

cw: 199
bmi: 34.2

#14 Mmmynameiselaine

Mmmynameiselaine

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:06 PM

I haven't tried too many, but Biotin definitely didn't work for me. I made me break out TERRIBLY.
Currently I'm on Deva Hair, Skin, and Nails because it's vegan and I've seen so many people swear by it. I don't know how much it's helping my head hair (as my hair has always been slow), but I feel like the rest of my body hair grows more quickly, and my nails DEFINITELY grow. One of my OCD compulsions is cutting my nails super short because I can't stand them, and I have to pretty much cut them at LEAST every other day if not sooner, so I feel like that's been a great indicator for me.
  • ash~doll likes this
~~Earth child~~

Height: 5'6
Hw: 143
Cw: 115.6
Gw: 110
Ugw: 100 (maybe?)

I get into meowing arguments with my cats.

#15 golden_girl

golden_girl

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNew York, USA

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:40 PM

Do these work? What hair vitamins do you use? What do you absolutely not recommend? I know brittle hair is a side effects of eds but I wanna grow my hair out?

I use the Boldy vegan hair gummies. They're the only hair vitamins that haven't make me break out. I've been taking them for 2 months and my hair has grown and looks healthier. (also been doing hair masks) Would def not recommend straight up biotin, ive tried a few brands and they made me break out horribly and I usually have pretty clear skin 

♡vegan♡

22 y/o

height: 6 ft

on and off recovering 

#16 R4DF3M

R4DF3M

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:00 AM

check the ingredients in the hair vitamin you're interested in and find a multi that has most of them. much cheaper and they're probably in safer/more well proportioned amounts than hair vitamins. that's what I found anyways

accountability https://www.myproana...ting-this-time/  :wub:

weight.png

GW1: 70kg

GW2: 65kg (BMI: 20,1)

GW3: 60kg (BMI: 18.5)

UGW: 55kg (BMI: 17,0)

#17 mahou_shojo

mahou_shojo

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:06 PM

The only supplement I've heard 100% that works is viviscal(?) its expensive but I know Taylor r used it when she was underweight and her hair was NICE

I rewatched the video and it's "pantogar" not viviscal
  • ash~doll likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users