How's your luck with not weighing? - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How's your luck with not weighing?

scale weighing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Witchy1

Witchy1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:43 PM

Through the years, I've only been willing to step on the scale when I've been definitely losing or sure I was at a weight I actually wanted to see... then as the number crept up or I felt in my clothes that I was gaining...pffft - forget it - I would rather live ignorant of that number if it isn't a good one. I have enough to make me upset every day without that knowledge.

But I have been wondering... how  would it feel to look at the terrible number I believe I would see right now -- would it inspire me to be strict when I'm weak? Would it be a tremendous boost to watch it go down, to know what I started at and watch it (HOPEFULLY) go down in the coming months? To know when I've lost ten or twenty pounds for sure? 

Are there any people here who have used clothes as more of a gauge of size than actual weight? Or other measures? Measuring tape, etc?

• Elspeth likes this

#2 Thaisa

Thaisa

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:24 AM

I go more by how I feel, including whether I feel like I’m in a deficit, feeling my stomach and hip bones, feeling my clothes get looser. I don’t like weighing at all if I’m gaining or not making progress. It depresses me and makes me more likely to binge out of frustration and hopelessness. If I’m losing, I like to weigh myself as a treat to see progress, but it can back fire if the number is not down. Personally my weight fluctuates a lot due to exercise etc. Maybe experiment and see what is right for you?

Current weight: 123-126

Height: 5'6"

Ortho athlete

40+

Goal: nutritious eating without purging + to get back to my lean weight of 115 lbs

#3 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:15 PM

I hate not weighing myself but being off the scale is actually better for my mental health I find. Just do your thing & believe it or not being off the scale makes it easier

#4 Elspeth

Elspeth

Advanced Guru

• Supporter
  • 776 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

I just weighed myself for the first time in over two years on July 14th.  I was so truly really afraid to get on the scale;  I knew alot of my hard work was gone, and that I was a fatass again, but I didn't want the horrible, actual truth staring up at me from the scale.  I was pleasantly surprised, and even mildly shocked, that I was about 20 lbs less than I expected.  Since then, I've weighed every day, and have managed tiny losses adding up to 2.6 lbs, so I guess I'll keep at it.  

• Granger and shhimnothere like this

Do not whine

Do not complain

Work harder

Spend more time alone.   

~ Joan Didion

#5 Pinkiepieforever

Pinkiepieforever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:56 PM

I'm still in the mindset of I have to know, I weigh 3-5 times a day every single day. But I cannot absolutely cannot let it fully register I have to jump off before it quits flashing if it's not lower than the time before or it's to real. Absolutely insane

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
  • shannie likes this

#6 Fatcat1971

Fatcat1971

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2744 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 05:47 PM

I am delaying weighing until I can fit into my jeans again. Then the number in the scale should be tolerable and I will go back to weighing weekly (probably more like every day lol) until I reach ugw.
  • shannie likes this

#7 thinstrument

thinstrument

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2509 posts
  • LocationUpper Midwest...where it's cold

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:12 AM

I’m trying now to not weigh in until someone “notices”. That could be 20lbs from now as no one pays that much attention.

So far so good. I really think the daily weigh-in effs with my head. If I get successful I binge. If I’m NOT losing I say F this and binge. So...
  • shannie likes this

I ramble online at Carrots In My Carryon

#8 notslimkindashady

notslimkindashady

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 01:01 PM

Same. I did weigh in at the beginning to get a baseline and it sucked. Since then I try not to weigh more than once a month. It messes with my head. No matter what the number is, I always feel like it's too high and based on past experience it can send me into an ever tightening spiral of eventually not wanting to eat at all ☹ But I also believe that it's my responsibility to own my choices. I like the feeling of my clothes getting bigger and being able to do more, so I focus on that. But getting on the scale once a month keeps me accountable without getting hung up on normal daily/weekly fluctuations. FWIW, I've lost 80 lbs since May w this approach, even after a three week binge in Oct-Nov due to quarantine.
  • thinstrument likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scale, weighing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users