Adult/Hormonal Acne - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Adult/Hormonal Acne

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 UsedToBeThin

UsedToBeThin

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:12 PM

Dear lord....almost 40 and it is now the worst it has ever been in my life! I've had a few bouts as an adult, but all managable.

Normally my skin is sooo clear when restricting, but here were are... What exisits of my diet is clean, iI know my normal dietary triggers, my skincare routine isn't helping... I am at a loss.

Has anyone else been through this? Any suggestions?...
— Elle — ht: 5'5.75" | cw: 93.8 ...sigh...relapsing. | gw1: 110 ✔ | gw2: 104 ✔ | gw3: 97 ✔ ugw: 90?

#2 rcow

rcow

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

My derm prescribed Aczone for hormonal acne, it works so well. I would get hormonal acne on my neck and chin around my period, now I don't anymore.
  • UsedToBeThin likes this

#3 ravens_wing

ravens_wing

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:53 PM

google myo inositol! I was having a really hard time with it and started taking it for ovarian support and weight loss but it also really cleared up my skin, I actually heard about it from someone on here and it's amaaaazing. It's just a supplement you can get anywhere! 

• UsedToBeThin and Hendrix like this
<p>5'10cw: 125<p>gw: 120

#4 cokezerofiend

cokezerofiend

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:42 PM

google myo inositol! I was having a really hard time with it and started taking it for ovarian support and weight loss but it also really cleared up my skin, I actually heard about it from someone on here and it's amaaaazing. It's just a supplement you can get anywhere! 

Never heard of myo inositol -  I'm going to look into this!

OP, has it been a while or has it only recently started breaking out since lockdown (if where you stay has enforced lockdown that is).  I read somewhere that spending a lot of time indoors has an effect on the type of air, vitamin D, and other stuff our skin is used to being exposed to, plus stress and other things relating to lockdown can be affecting us which is why a lot of women are having cystic breakouts since covid.

I had acne when I was a teenager and things generally cleared up throughout the past 8/9 years and I stopped even caring about skincare but recently had huge bout of cystic acne in around February (which is only now slowly healing).  I was told by a friend to take evening primrose oil capsules (Boots sell them if you are in the UK) which I started two weeks ago and since then, my skin has slowly started to heal (no new breakouts). I'm not fully there yet but I'd really recommend looking into it.  

• Hendrix likes this

#5 celeste*

celeste*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 06:51 PM

I'm 36 and still break out. I wish I knew in my 20s I could control it with diet...

I use SkinCeutials Retinol 0.5 to spot treat cystic breakouts as soon as I feel them starting and every 2-4 weeks, I use glycolic 10 overnight to help keep my pores clear. It's pricey but works.

• sacrosanctmoth likes this

#6 CherGirl

CherGirl

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:06 PM

Just bought some Myo Inositol. Never heard of it before but I'm hoping it will help. I did accutane when I was younger and it helped a lot but now at 37 it seems hormonal. My PMS issues are awful. My poor husband, I get so easily agitated and stressed but as soon as my period is over I'm back to chill and happy.

#7 kolga

kolga

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:34 PM

Any birth control including planned b will cause acne.
Nicotine of any kind and alcohol cause acne.
Low carb keto diet is honest to god best for acne.
Caffeine especially coffee will spike your insulin and any carby food. Spiked insulin not only leads to acne but also a slowing and sometimes even shut down of estrogen and increase of testosterone. It took me adult acne , receding hairline and embarassing body hair to find this out. Doctors are mostly retarded and will just prescribe you birth control & btw they are cimoulsive liars.

Another thing , low calorie high carb diets give you acne & an eating disorder bc they spike insulin and cause cravings .
Look up Dr Eric Berg on YouTube. His channel is life saving.
  • Hortense and NinjaWorm like this

#8 JbLynn

JbLynn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:07 PM

I've had hormonal acne for as long as I can remember and while controlling my dietary triggers (too much dairy, refined sugar, alcohol) help, I also think my makeup was clogging my pores. Since the lockdown started (and given that my office is still on a work from home order), I only put on makeup on days when I have Zoom meetings, and even then it needs to be a pretty important meeting (I stopped doing makeup for meetings that are just my team... I think I've given up...). The other thing that has helped is ice rolling my face. I bought one on Amazon about a month ago and I've been doing it every night and every morning for about 10 minutes. I've noticed my skin is definitely clearer in areas where I pretty much always had a breakout (and it has also helped with my rosacea).

That being said, I had a pretty bad breakout on my nose the other week and can feel another one coming on now. It has been extremely hot here and I have been going out with a face mask, which I think is contributing to it... So OP maybe that is something else to consider?

#9 CherGirl

CherGirl

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:40 AM

I have finally found the cure for my acne! I use Bioderma micellar water as a cleanser, La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo Acne Treatment with Benzoyl Peroxide just on breakout areas, and the most important thing... Grapeseed oil for my moisturizer. I am on oily person and the thought of putting oil on oily acne prone skin sounded like the dumbest thing in the world to me but I'm telling you my skin cleared immediately my skin is LESS oily and I look younger since I'm not so dried out. I use the oil around my eyes (good bye expensive eye cream all my small eye wrinkles are gone) and on my whole body. A giant bottle costs like $12. I even use the oil under my makeup which I was unsure about but my makeup looks fantastic and no incessant oil blotting throughout the day. I only had to stop using a wet beauty blender (oil and water don't mix ya know) and I just put my makeup on with clean hands.

#10 /magic.bird./

/magic.bird./

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:06 PM

I had been wondering about this. I had really bad skin when I was younger (teens/early adulthood), then when cut out all dairy at 20, my skin improved so much, and didn’t have any skin problems until last year (when I turned 31). I thought it was because I worked 2 jobs, was stressed with lack of sleep and not eating enough fruits & veg (and upping my protein), but once I left one of my jobs, got better sleep and ate more fruit & veg, it didn’t make much of a difference. I’m also noticing my skin imperfections more (my scars). I use acne treatments and scar treatments on my face along with moisturizer. All organic. And taking my multivitamin, and now my protein shakes (they always have a lot of vitamins). Sometimes my Aztec clay mask....But will have to continue to find out what I need to do to clear this up.

#11 MadScientist

MadScientist

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:20 AM

I had this super bad. Finally tried a prescription of spironolactone. It took a month or two to kick in but it totally changed my life. Been on it for over a year now and my skin is completely different. It also helped my hair grow (and, weirdly enough, turned it curly).
It's contraindicated for women who might get pregnant, so there's that. I'm a lesbian tho. I can't praise this drug enough.

tumblr_mqaqfm4gnk1r9spw1o1_r1_500.gif

#12 beaker 2.0

beaker 2.0

wildly appropriate whore

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4640 posts
  • Locationthe lab

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:23 AM

I had this super bad. Finally tried a prescription of spironolactone. It took a month or two to kick in but it totally changed my life. Been on it for over a year now and my skin is completely different. It also helped my hair grow (and, weirdly enough, turned it curly).
It's contraindicated for women who might get pregnant, so there's that. I'm a lesbian tho. I can't praise this drug enough.

i'm going to bring this up to my doctor because i've been chronically retaining water (probably bc i stopped purging after 8 years) but i also have really bad cystic acne around my period. i'm glad you had a good experience!

#13 meadowfairy

meadowfairy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2552 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:43 AM

I relate, I'm 31 and have been breaking out since I was a teen. I'm so sick of it, and there is so much conflicting info on what to eat! I started washing my face every night and washing my pillowcases often but I get hormonal acne on my chin as well as my cheeks...I don't eat dairy and don't eat too much sugar...I don't even know what to do.

I'm gonna look into this, thanks.

ib3JOEh.jpg

#14 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:27 AM

My acne the past few years has been very persistent and in the same area of my face, basically near my cheekbones on both sides of my face.  And my chin.   I hate it.  And it is deep acne (i think it may be cystic) so I have these red marks that seem to take months to fade   I am very self conscious about it.   And as one heals I can feel a new one forming.

I haven't seen a dermatologist but I do notice when cut out dairy it seems to clear my skin up.

Weight: 

SW: 144.4 (around 1/13/2021)

CW: 141.8 (1/26/2021)

Highest weight: 178

Lowest weight: 110

"Stable" weight: 135-140

Current Goal = 120 pounds 

UGW = 110

**PSA - my user name is in reference to my favorite wrestler... starting to think it may be interpreted as something else... :)

"This is just a courtesy call, this is just a matter of policy.  This is just an act of kindness to let you know that your time is up" - Courtesy Call.  Sixx AM

#15 Vanno

Vanno

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:34 AM

I have dealt with adult acne and was prescribed something called Tactupump. It is a medicated cream that you use once a day and oh my is was magical! My face hurt and was red/peely for the first month but then my acne just cleared up completely. Maybe ask your doctor about it, it really helped me. It took about 6 months and acne was all gone. Now I just use it for a few nights at a time if I am breaking out a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users