Optavia - I feel like an idiot. - Commercial Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Optavia - I feel like an idiot.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:35 AM

Quick background:

I have lost about 70 pounds.  I am 6 feet tall and trying to get to 199 and below.  I made it to 202 (once being at 273) and then stress ate/binged and am at 215.

I am also older than a lot of you.  I am 42.  I'm not sure why I felt the need to include that.  I suffer from BED and as of lately it's been really, really bad.  I need structure.  I thrive on structure.

I caved and"fell" for an MLM yesterday and ordered Optavia.  It's kinda a version of Medifast, a co-worker was on that and lost a fuck ton of weight.  I had to talk to a "coach" yesterday and he was surprisingly refreshing and kind and YES I know he's making $$ off me but I really am desperate.  It is really hard to get me to spend money on anyone but my children so I am hoping that between the fact that it was crazy expensive and I am being told what to eat I will starve myself basically to the 100's.

Soooooo.  I will be updating here.  Hi.  

• rusty3 likes this

weight.png

#2 ForeverDieting

ForeverDieting

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1889 posts
  • LocationA gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:52 AM

I know optavia (ALR amirite). It will probably work if you stick to it because of the low calories it consists of, but then again, mlm...
If you end up liking it, I would suggest that, when the stock that you got runs out, you try to come up with a list of similar items from the grocery store (its granola bars, shakes, individually packed snacks... For those unfamiliar with it), cause you'll end up saving $$$

Regardless of what you do then, good luck for now

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
  • embrock likes this

#3 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

I know optavia (ALR amirite). It will probably work if you stick to it because of the low calories it consists of, but then again, mlm...
If you end up liking it, I would suggest that, when the stock that you got runs out, you try to come up with a list of similar items from the grocery store (its granola bars, shakes, individually packed snacks... For those unfamiliar with it), cause you'll end up saving $$$

Regardless of what you do then, good luck for now

OMG.  I am an ALR addict.  Her reasoning for quitting was epic.  "It's not enough calories!"  "I wasn't hungry!"

I am gonna stick with it just because I am a cheap ass and that was a LOT of money.  If you watch Zachary Michael (Please start if you don't) he said the same thing about it being granola bars.  I just NEED like insane structure to motivate myself.  It is due to be delivered today.  I am slated to start tomorrow.

• ForeverDieting likes this

weight.png

#4 ForeverDieting

ForeverDieting

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1889 posts
  • LocationA gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:18 PM

OMG. I am an ALR addict. Her reasoning for quitting was epic. "It's not enough calories!" "I wasn't hungry!"

I am gonna stick with it just because I am a cheap ass and that was a LOT of money. If you watch Zachary Michael (Please start if you don't) he said the same thing about it being granola bars. I just NEED like insane structure to motivate myself. It is due to be delivered today. I am slated to start tomorrow.

Hahaha same with all that first part. He's hilarious and entertaining, but wishes her well in a tough love kind of way.

I think it's say to assume that you'll do wayyyyy better than our gorl hahaha. I have seen many other (smaller) YouTubers go on it and they got great results. If a bit more structure is what you needed, you got this! Best of luck on your first day!!

• embrock likes this

#5 Acid Rain

Acid Rain

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationYour Fridge

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:54 AM

I'm 31 and I know I'm 11 years under you, but I also felt weird being here because there's so many people on this site that are in their early 20's or younger, but there's also forums for people 30's and up. I know you don't need me to tell you that you're perfectly welcome here, but maybe you felt weird like me since you posted your age lol. I want Optavia, but I can't afford it. I remember when the youtube Amber Reid did it and said it freaked her out because she wasn't hungry. I wish I could figure out how she wasn't hungry on such low calories. She obviously didn't stick to it because she's addicted to food to the extreme, but I've heard other people not being hungry as well. 

• embrock likes this

tumblr_lnn1g0a4DH1qhizsv.gif

Binge Free Since 05.17.20  

#6 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:38 AM

Hahaha same with all that first part. He's hilarious and entertaining, but wishes her well in a tough love kind of way.

I think it's say to assume that you'll do wayyyyy better than our gorl hahaha. I have seen many other (smaller) YouTubers go on it and they got great results. If a bit more structure is what you needed, you got this! Best of luck on your first day!!

Thank you!  Yes, I love him.  At risk of sounding like a TOTAL weirdo, he literally helps my anxiety when I can't sleep at night.  Something about that goofy laugh.  I'll update tomorrow on how my first day was ... so far so good.  

• ForeverDieting likes this

weight.png

#7 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:41 AM

I'm 31 and I know I'm 11 years under you, but I also felt weird being here because there's so many people on this site that are in their early 20's or younger, but there's also forums for people 30's and up. I know you don't need me to tell you that you're perfectly welcome here, but maybe you felt weird like me since you posted your age lol. I want Optavia, but I can't afford it. I remember when the youtube Amber Reid did it and said it freaked her out because she wasn't hungry. I wish I could figure out how she wasn't hungry on such low calories. She obviously didn't stick to it because she's addicted to food to the extreme, but I've heard other people not being hungry as well. 

I do feel like a Grandma to the group sometimes.  Haha.  I guess it just shows that eating disorders continue through life a lot :(  I have faced BED for as long as I can remember.  Yeah, I am an ALR addict and was not surprised at all when she lasted (not even) 3 days.  It also infuriated me as she just like, BLEW $400 like it was nothing. This was a HUGE purchase for me which I think will help me stick to it because I am frugal as fuck LOL

weight.png

#8 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:59 AM

Day 1 was ... good!  I followed the plan which means I had to eat FIVE "fuelings" (lolz, so dumb I remember every time ALR would say it, it would sound like she was "eating her feelings" ... yeah, gorl.) 

Dinner you have to make lean protein and veggies so I went to Pinterest for ideas.  Chicken on a sheet pan with some sliced yellow and red bell pepper, a little bit of EVOO and a squeeze of lime.  Wrapped in romaine with some light greek yogurt.   

I lost 2.4 pounds the first day.

I am on day 2.  Feeling OK.  Will update tomorrow.

weight.png

#9 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:02 AM

Day 3.  Yesterday was good. Down another 1.4 pounds... 

No real urge to binge eat, as I am being told what to eat and I am crazy like that.

weight.png

#10 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:04 AM

Day 4 (start)

I've officially lasted longer than ALR.  

Down .8 and I'll take it.  Down 4.5 lbs. in first 3 days.

weight.png

#11 buddingstem

buddingstem

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:07 AM

I just wanted to say you seem like a total sweetheart and I'm so excited for you! Sounds like you're doing rly well.
  • embrock likes this
daq7od3-8588f225-c3ca-48ce-8691-64cae589
5'2"
cw: 131.4 gw: 108 hw: 230 lw: 92

#12 mary470

mary470

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:53 PM

I haven't read EVERYTHING so I'm sorry if this is no longer relevant but ... I tried optavia and lost a lot of weight. If you stick to it it works! Don't feel stupid. There is someone making money off you for literally anything you purchase. This is no different. Good luck! (I'm not on optavia anymore but I actually had one of their shakes today - seriously, its not so bad and you shouldn't feel like an idiot).

• embrock likes this

#13 mochibun

mochibun

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:11 PM

Amberlynn said she found some of their foods disgusting, I know optavia is like a diet with granola bars and shakes ?

But she said something about a chicken soup ?? Can you please give me more information on this?? This has really peaked my interest!

Are you finding it fulfilling?Are you having an energy boost? What are your fav and least fav products?

Any other additional information would be super handy!!! This might be something I invest in.

• embrock likes this

#14 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:22 PM

Amberlynn said she found some of their foods disgusting, I know optavia is like a diet with granola bars and shakes ?

But she said something about a chicken soup ?? Can you please give me more information on this?? This has really peaked my interest!

Are you finding it fulfilling?Are you having an energy boost? What are your fav and least fav products?

Any other additional information would be super handy!!! This might be something I invest in.

OMG if you watch her religiously she downloaded today and she showed what she eats in a day and she said "...this is what it looks like when I eat my feelings" WHICH TOTALLY took me back to her whole 3 days on plan and it sounded like she was saying feelings instead of fuelings (the cheesy non-word Optavia calls their food)

Anyway.  For you and others that may be interested.  I have lost 5 pounds in 6 days.  Today was really good.  The first few days were kinda (?) rough but today I had energy and was able to go on a 6 mi bike ride and do some yoga.  I have been kinda zapped of energy but I am a binge eater and what I was eating before I started was gross so this is a big change for my body.  Also, today I was not hungry.  I could have skipped a fueling (ha) and not noticed but because I am such a stickler for rules I am making it my goal to stick to the plan.  My fear of failure in anything may be a win here for me.  I'll tell you what's in my box.  (thatswhatshesaid)

Every box comes with 7 fuelings and there were a couple boxes of some same items.  The shakes are the shit.  You can't taste the protein in them, and even mixing with water, they are a-ok.  I am used to using 30 cal almond milk for stuff like this so I was wary of the water and it was good.  I also used hot black coffee and Ninja'd one of the dark chocolate mixes in the morning and it was yum.

Chewy Caramel bars - meh.  Very protein bar weird texture which made me sad as I was excited about those.

Cranberry Oat bars - yuck. No.

Cinnamon Raisin bars - texture ok on these.  Kinda like a Quaker Chewy bar

Also have peanut butter, chocolate fudge, chocolate mint none of which I have tried yet.

Chicken noodle soup IS indeed GROSS.  It's like warm cat vomit consistency.  I had it on the first or second day and I forced myself to eat it because I was so hungry.

Penne pasta is good!  I really thought it was going to be fucking terrible and was surprised.  I mean, if I were to order it or even have it as a lean cuisine meal, I would be pissed about how it was but look, all their food is 100-110 calories and super high in vitamins and crap so it's ... yeah.

Garlic mashed potatoes.  OMG.  I made these into like a potato cake in a skillet off a "hack" tip and they were the tits.  10/10 will order again.  If I order again.

Rosemary Herb biscuit, I cooked too long, but if I had not it would be amazing.  Optavia is shit with their microwave times.

Chocolate chip pancakes were good, but like really tough.  Will add more water next time.

Chocolate brownie is DELISH.  Nuke for 20 seconds NOT the 90 they say and its warm and gooey.  I don't know if at this point I am so hard up for good food, but I just had one tonight and my husband was laughing at my adoration for this sad little brownie.

Chocolate chip cookie not as good as the brownie, but still good.  

Shakes I have strawberry, chocolate, peanut butter and cherry chocolate. I have only tried the strawberry and chocolate and both are amazing when it comes to protein shakes mixed with water.   

I am saving the shakes and bars for the most part for when I go back to work post-quarantine.  Which is next Monday, thank GOD.

• mochibun likes this

weight.png

#15 mochibun

mochibun

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

OMG if you watch her religiously she downloaded today and she showed what she eats in a day and she said "...this is what it looks like when I eat my feelings" WHICH TOTALLY took me back to her whole 3 days on plan and it sounded like she was saying feelings instead of fuelings (the cheesy non-word Optavia calls their food)

Anyway.  For you and others that may be interested.  I have lost 5 pounds in 6 days.  Today was really good.  The first few days were kinda (?) rough but today I had energy and was able to go on a 6 mi bike ride and do some yoga.  I have been kinda zapped of energy but I am a binge eater and what I was eating before I started was gross so this is a big change for my body.  Also, today I was not hungry.  I could have skipped a fueling (ha) and not noticed but because I am such a stickler for rules I am making it my goal to stick to the plan.  My fear of failure in anything may be a win here for me.  I'll tell you what's in my box.  (thatswhatshesaid)

Every box comes with 7 fuelings and there were a couple boxes of some same items.  The shakes are the shit.  You can't taste the protein in them, and even mixing with water, they are a-ok.  I am used to using 30 cal almond milk for stuff like this so I was wary of the water and it was good.  I also used hot black coffee and Ninja'd one of the dark chocolate mixes in the morning and it was yum.

Chewy Caramel bars - meh.  Very protein bar weird texture which made me sad as I was excited about those.

Cranberry Oat bars - yuck. No.

Cinnamon Raisin bars - texture ok on these.  Kinda like a Quaker Chewy bar

Also have peanut butter, chocolate fudge, chocolate mint none of which I have tried yet.

Chicken noodle soup IS indeed GROSS.  It's like warm cat vomit consistency.  I had it on the first or second day and I forced myself to eat it because I was so hungry.

Penne pasta is good!  I really thought it was going to be fucking terrible and was surprised.  I mean, if I were to order it or even have it as a lean cuisine meal, I would be pissed about how it was but look, all their food is 100-110 calories and super high in vitamins and crap so it's ... yeah.

Garlic mashed potatoes.  OMG.  I made these into like a potato cake in a skillet off a "hack" tip and they were the tits.  10/10 will order again.  If I order again.

Rosemary Herb biscuit, I cooked too long, but if I had not it would be amazing.  Optavia is shit with their microwave times.

Chocolate chip pancakes were good, but like really tough.  Will add more water next time.

Chocolate brownie is DELISH.  Nuke for 20 seconds NOT the 90 they say and its warm and gooey.  I don't know if at this point I am so hard up for good food, but I just had one tonight and my husband was laughing at my adoration for this sad little brownie.

Chocolate chip cookie not as good as the brownie, but still good.  

Shakes I have strawberry, chocolate, peanut butter and cherry chocolate. I have only tried the strawberry and chocolate and both are amazing when it comes to protein shakes mixed with water.   

I am saving the shakes and bars for the most part for when I go back to work post-quarantine.  Which is next Monday, thank GOD.

AHHH thank you for such a detailed response!! this is incredibly helpful. I've been lurking/following your thread since it started and I'm actually shocked by your results!

You must be a real champ for keeping the "cat vomit" down, because even ALR didn't like it and all her food looks like cat regurgitation.

110 cal pasta is something no one can be mad at!!!

So besides the protein shakes and granola, everything else is processed? (It's good they are packed with nutrients) Also, do they give you like a menu for homecooked? I remember reading above that you had to cook lean protein and greens ( i think lmao .. )

ahah! I'm waiting for a reaction channel to make a video on it, but I'm kind of tempted to watch it now. I just find her videos so boring and full of filler! I'm literally obsessed with MichaelBePetty, he can be very harsh but it's so entertaining!!

• embrock likes this

#16 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:17 AM

AHHH thank you for such a detailed response!! this is incredibly helpful. I've been lurking/following your thread since it started and I'm actually shocked by your results!

You must be a real champ for keeping the "cat vomit" down, because even ALR didn't like it and all her food looks like cat regurgitation.

110 cal pasta is something no one can be mad at!!!

So besides the protein shakes and granola, everything else is processed? (It's good they are packed with nutrients) Also, do they give you like a menu for homecooked? I remember reading above that you had to cook lean protein and greens ( i think lmao .. )

ahah! I'm waiting for a reaction channel to make a video on it, but I'm kind of tempted to watch it now. I just find her videos so boring and full of filler! I'm literally obsessed with MichaelBePetty, he can be very harsh but it's so entertaining!!

Yes, it's all processed.  But, I have been scanning it all into MFP and the nutrients/macros are nothing to be mad at and are way better than what I had been eating.  My "coach" - who I actually really like - said that as long as we are getting the good amount of nutrients we should not be concerned with calorie count as the negative calories deficit = weight loss.  It's working, I started at 212.1 7 days ago and this morning was 207.0.  I have adhered to it 100%, even though I REALLY wanted a beer last night.  And, yes, you do make 1 meal a day which is why I chose this plan as I have kiddos and need to feed them haha.  It's called a "Lean and Green" as ALR pointed out and I remember laughing at her gross chicken and lettuce and pickle plate.  They give you this handy-dandy book that breaks down how many ounces of what protein you can eat (i.e.: chicken breast being "leanest", steak being "lean")  You can have up to 7 ounces of leanest and you are to measure that after you cook it and I will tell you, 7 ounces of cooked chicken is a lot!  Then you pair it with green stuff and the book breaks down the highest to lowest servings depending on vegetable.  They also break it down on vegetarian options for protein.  So far I have made grilled tuna a lot on our grill with grilled asparagus, chicken, lots of salads with random veggies.  You have to have a "healthy fat" so I normally choose EVOO or Bolthouse Farms makes a GOOD yogurt dressing that is 35 cal per 2 TBS.  Dinner is obviously my fav meal of the day :)

I LOVE MichaelBePetty.  Also Zachary Michael and Charlie Gold.  I basically love Charlie's reacts because her voice is so soothing.  

weight.png

#17 embrock

embrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeast coast, US

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:43 AM

10 days in - I have lost a little over 6 pounds.  Finding this pretty easy and I feel pretty good.  Who woulda thought... cut grass yesterday (push mowed) and according to my Apple watch I burned 767 cals just doing that so I *did* get a little light headed since I am on such restricted calories.  I ate 10 raw almonds (an OK in the 5&1 plan) and felt much better.  Dinner is my favorite time, as that is my "lean and green"  I am finding my healthy VERY portion controlled dinner so much more enjoyable as the days pass.  I am becoming fuller, faster.  I still have zero desire to binge which is unheard of for me.  I think it's because of my coach and the strict guidelines.  I want to win, if that makes sense.  I'm competitive.  

weight.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users