Vegan gardening tips? - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Vegan gardening tips?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lysle

Lysle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6711 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:37 AM

During lockdown I have been doing a lot more work in the garden but I am always worried about hurting insects when clearing weeds. Are there any ways that you use to prevent hurting insects? Or any vegan gardening tips in general? Thanks πŸ’š

#2 inagato2

inagato2

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:32 PM

Vegetarian for five years. Quite enjoy it. I feel like it's the responsible thing to do, considering the inhumane handling of animals for human consumption.

SW 110 CW 97 GW1 95 GW2 90 GW3 85 UGW 80

"Roses are black and violets are grey. I should not have eaten at all today"

#3 CheshireSmile

CheshireSmile

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationRainbow

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:32 PM

There’s natural repellents you can use. Or if you are up for it, grow all your veggies 100% indoors (controlled environment). My biggest thing has been using only vegan soil and fertilizers.

A really good natural bug repellent is neem oil. You can also plant certain plants, such as lavender, lemon balm, cat nip.. etc... to naturally deter bugs :)
  • Igorina, Liblikas and Lysle like this

5'1" Female - 25yrs old

Ultimate Goal Weight: 95lbs

Starting Measurements:

30"-29.5"-35"

131lb

Goals:

125lb

120lb

115lb

110lb

105lb

100lb

95lb

#4 nxcu

nxcu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:10 PM

Organizing your garden can help keep certain pests away from neighbor plants. I would just google "companion plant for _____" and then lay out your garden with those in mind! Also if you plant some flowers/plants that attract lady bugs and praying mantises (manti?) they like to eat the other buggos that may hurt your plants.
So far in my garden (1st year, raised bed, 8 by 4) I haven't gotten any pests, only had a few baby rabbits that had a nice snack on my broccoli, kale, and cauliflower. I added a mesh in addition to my fence to help keep the smaller critters out. I've heard marigolds will help deter these animals away as well, but I have not planted any yet.

Best of luck!
  • Liblikas and Lysle like this

5'3" HW:122lbs CW:115lbs LW:103lbs GW1:110lbs GW2:105lbs GW3:100lbs

#5 Lysle

Lysle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6711 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:41 PM

Organizing your garden can help keep certain pests away from neighbor plants. I would just google "companion plant for _____" and then lay out your garden with those in mind! Also if you plant some flowers/plants that attract lady bugs and praying mantises (manti?) they like to eat the other buggos that may hurt your plants.
So far in my garden (1st year, raised bed, 8 by 4) I haven't gotten any pests, only had a few baby rabbits that had a nice snack on my broccoli, kale, and cauliflower. I added a mesh in addition to my fence to help keep the smaller critters out. I've heard marigolds will help deter these animals away as well, but I have not planted any yet.

Best of luck!

Thank you that is really helpful! πŸ’š

#6 Lysle

Lysle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6711 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:49 PM

Bump!
  • CheshireSmile likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic