Calories in Inedible Things - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Calories in Inedible Things

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 crossings

crossings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:41 PM

This is going to sound so stupid I know, but do rocks/sand/dirt, have calories?

(A little back story: I've been eating these things, and cat and dog food, on and off for over 15 years and I'm finally seeing a therapist and she isn't concerned about it, she is more concerned with my depression and restrictive ED.)

I've relapsed into restricing and C/S in December and since then my craving for rocks and dirt has come back as well, Do these things have calories or will they cause me to gain?

Please don't shame, me I'm embarrassed enough about this as it is.

#2 kimjunmyeon

kimjunmyeon

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:44 PM

dont think they should  make u fat, but they might make u heavier on the scale since when u consume the rocks they usually just sit in ur stomach since u cant digest them(unless u poop them out then u should not gain)

• crossings likes this

RECOVERED.

#3 shrinkingandshaking

shrinkingandshaking

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:44 PM

i highly doubt there’s anything to digest in rocks, so i guess the calories in that would be 0.
dirt, however, could probably have calories because it’s made of rocks, dirt, and sand but also decomposed organic matter. also, types of soil vary greatly depending on where you live.
if your therapist isn’t concerned about this, maybe you should consider getting a new one. you deserve someone who takes your issues seriously.
  • Morgan le Fou, crossings and Ajane like this

#4 crossings

crossings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:48 PM

if your therapist isn’t concerned about this, maybe you should consider getting a new one. you deserve someone who takes your issues seriously.

Thanks for your response, I am trying to get a new therapist and dietician now, thank you!

Makes sense if I don't digest it that it's zero calories, and mineral supplements don't have calories either, so that checks by me. I think I gnash it in my mouth enough that the bits are passable as well.
  • shrinkingandshaking likes this

#5 Starduss

Starduss

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2689 posts
  • LocationThe bottom of the Baggie

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:54 PM

Pica right? Do you somehow chew the rocks or just swallow them?
pfazq.png

#6 Kummerspeckalous

Kummerspeckalous

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:07 PM

Dirt has 0.4 to 7kcal per lb, depending on what's in it.

Purest has the 0.4 and  the "dirtiest" (haha, got it? dirtiest-dirt? no? okay..) has up to 7.

• crossings, Lysle and cambri like this

#7 Once~Effulgent

Once~Effulgent

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:35 PM

You shouldn't be embarrassed on here for anything, we all do gross shit with how we eat. Its just a different demon, youre not alone. MPA even have a pica specific form I think. Anyways rocks are probably nothing and dirt has to be under 10cals/pound so its probably not something you need to count, good luck!

• crossings likes this

➳ ✿❀

~Accountability hungry-not-anymore

➳ ✿❀

#8 crossings

crossings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:35 AM

Thank you! I prefer sand to dirt, I haven't been eating much dirt since I moved out of the desert. I think sand is pretty clean? Like maybe one of those bags at a hardware store maybe lol

#9 crossings

crossings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:38 AM

You shouldn't be embarrassed on here for anything

Thanks, I rarely tell anyone about this, because people get so weirded out by it. I've been on MPA for years and finally decided to ask this out of desperation, I was getting anxious because I wanted to eat a rock without screwing up my daily intake lmao.

#10 crossings

crossings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

Pica right? Do you somehow chew the rocks or just swallow them?

Yeah its pica, I kinda gnash the rocks with my molars until the bits are small enough to swallow.

#11 chocolatewaif

chocolatewaif

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

My pica food is Johnson's baby powder -- I actually haven't had any at all since the lock down and in recent years I restrict myself to the really small 1.5oz to 4oz  travel sizes. In my hay day I could finish a 20oz bottle in 5 to 7 days and a 15oz bottle in 3 to 5 days. I don't think it ever affected my ability to lose weight. But I have researched and learned that talc apparently does have calories. I don't remember the exact number currently. 

Rocks I'm not sure about but I'd imagine are similar to talc, with calories but likely not that many to really matter. Cat and dog food, since hey are food would likely have a substantial amount of calories. Consider that there are overweight cats and dogs but that is often due to an excess of people food. I'm sure you could probably google the calories in pet food. 

• crossings and impetus.lily like this

I wanna be special. So fucking special.

Height: 5'5"

Current: 121.5 | Start: 142 | Goal: 120 Ultimate: 110

Accountability: Borderline

#12 crossings

crossings

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:08 PM

Cat and dog food, since hey are food would likely have a substantial amount of calories. Consider that there are overweight cats and dogs but that is often due to an excess of people food. I'm sure you could probably google the calories in pet food.

My cat has these treats that are like 2 calories per treat, and I'm curious if animal calories are equal to human calories, because that's amazing to me, not sure if I should make cat treats my safe food though lol
I kinda laid off on pet food because I'm sure it has loads more cal. than rocks, dirt, etc.

#13 KittyBlueEyes

KittyBlueEyes

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:39 PM

I wonder this too. I love chalk. Like. I will buy chalk just to eat and it makes me feel SO weird. And I'm super nervous about calories in it lol...

Height: 5'9

CW: 231

227 5/6/16
226 6/17/16

225.5 6/19/16

CW: UNKNOWN FML

GW1: 190
GW2: 180
GW3: 170
UGW: 115

Target Weight: 130

#14 bexajourney

bexajourney

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:00 PM

Oh my goodness, I can be helpful!

Animal food can and does have calories that will affect you in exactly the same manner as people food! Overweight or obese animals are not just overweight or obese from people food (although that's a common cause), many people overfeed their animals their pet food, too! (I know, the little beggars will swear they're starving, but I promise you're they'll do just fine on exactly how much they need to be healthy!) I have a pair of cats just about one year old that I'm constantly having to adjust their food because they will absolutely scarf every morsel of food they're given, regardless of how much they weigh, and I even know better! I've worked with animals my entire adult life. I promise, this isn't me projecting an ED onto my cats, my other cat and my dog are perfectly healthy, those two are just gluttons.

Anyway, I got distracted, pet obesity is kind of a soapbox for me. You'll have to check the pet food--they don't usually list calories, but there's a listing of fats, proteins and carbs in the food and you might be able to enter the information in a website somewhere to figure out what kind of calories you get out of it. I'm sure there's a website -somewhere-. Cats and dogs don't usually burn calories exactly at the same rate we do (they're completely different species, for one, and they're totally different sizes and activity levels, for another!) so what a recommended feeding for a dog or cat is probably won't be too helpful to you, although you might be able to finagle something out of it.

It also depends on the kind of dog or cat food you're eating. Lower costing, lower quality cat and dog food has a lot more corn and fillers, things they put in to make your dog or cat feel full. You can digest those a lot better than your dog or cat can. You'll get more calories out of it than your dog or cat will--same applies to the 'weight control' formula diets. Grain free dog and cat food--that's a huge debate we don't need to get into here--will be more protein and fat dense, so theoretically be more appetite satisfying in smaller doses. Kind of like the idea behind using healthy fats and protein heavy diets to eat smaller amounts and feel less hunger.

Of course, this is just a massively generic post. Brands vary, foods within brands vary and your best bet (just like when feeding your little darlings) is to look at the label. It's actually required that pet food be safe for human consumption, so I wouldn't be too worried that you want to eat it, just make sure that you look at nutrients in your overall diet.

Fun fact, I went to college for geology: I can't answer if rocks have calories, but I can make sure to warn you to know what -kinds- of rocks you're eating. Some rocks have chemicals that can be toxic to humans in them. I highly doubt you'll run into anything that's, for example, radioactive, like cobalt, but it might be worth making sure you know what type of rock it is you're putting in your mouth before you do it.

• etrox318 and kirby- like this

HW: 297 lbs

W: 284

CW: 272.4
GW: 120 lbs

It's a process, but whether you're trying to gain, lose or maintain--be kind to yourself and others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users