Can i ask a question? - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Can i ask a question?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Azimuth

Azimuth

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 03:24 AM

Question? I have AN, but my son is autistic and has pica. He eats typical stuff (I guess?) i.e. paper, rocks, foam, and metal. He has bitten into glass, but never swallowed. We had some poop issues with potty training, but thankfully that stopped. And he moved onto his shirts last year. I know he's autistic so a lot of it is swimming. He's nine though so it's hard to ask him: whats it like? I mean do you guess have cravings? Can you please explain to me, from an adult perspective, what is going on? I'm sorry if this is insensitive. I just don't understand. My thing is all about restricting. This is different territory. Does it change with age? Do you guys hide it more as you get older? He'll just chill chewing on something like it's nothing. Thank you.

#2 Senru

Senru

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Location溺死

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:01 AM

I have mild pica, and it's like a craving. But not just that, your brain kind of fails to connect certain things to the group of "things that are not food". So you could for example see a piece of paper and a piece of toast, and your brain is like: "Oh, both food. :) Yum!" 
It can change with age, he might stop doing this completely at some point, or he might move on to diffrent things. Eventually it can get to the point of feeling like "I HAVE to eat that!" and thats something you have to work on, it's like a very strong craving and it can be incredibly upsetting. 

I luckily don't have many issues with it. I used to eat pens when I was like 13 lmao.

• Lil Miss Strawb and Jolie_swims like this

Don't mind me.

Sen || 22 || male || cw: 114lbs || gw1: 100lbs || gw2: 90lbs

Twitter

Instagram

Facebook Art-Page

#3 Baobab

Baobab

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAsteroid B-612

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:49 PM

I don't have pica, but I've worked a lot around children with various needs.  Some of it could be sensory driven, does your son have a chewy or something that could aid in easing the sensory aspect of that behavior?

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

CW: 104

G1: 98

G2: 94

UG: 88 or 85, we'll see

HW/LW: 140/85

#4 etrox318

etrox318

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4948 posts
  • LocationNowhere near you

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:35 AM

I have pica, but not autism.
For me it's worse when I restrict. Like I get really hungry and I want something in my mouth but I don't want the calories so I'll chew on paper or thread just to keep my mouth busy.
I don't get cravings or whatever it's just a thing I do. I think it started because I went through trauma as a kid & I was really nervous so I started chewing on things.
https://www.myproana...-back-on-track/MY OLD ACCOUNTABILITY
https://www.myproana... MY NEW ACCOUNTABILITY
https://www.myproana...ookbooks-vegan/ MY MCDOUGALL RECIPE ADVENTURE
Female, diagnosed bulimic, previously diagnosed an-bp.
Hufflepuff, infp. Mostly vegan.
5'7"
Hw 208 BMI 32.6
Lw 105 BMI 16.4
Ugw 99 BMI 15.5
September 2020 Cw 129.3 BMI 20.2

#5 StruggleEveryDay

StruggleEveryDay

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:06 AM

I am mildly autistic, and I have been eating paper for as long as I can remember. For me, it's soothing, almost like a compulsion. The more I think about it the more I want to do it and when I do eat some it calms me. I logically know it's not food, but I still get cravings for it kinda like if you get a craving for a certain food.

Sorry I'm a little late, but message me if you want to talk more in depth. :)

Height: 5' 7"/1.7m

CW: 153<p>HW: 230<p>LW: 153<p>GW1: 120<p>GW2: 100<p>UGW: 85

#6 vxvtrix

vxvtrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationValenwood

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:57 AM

Hey! i would recommend looking into chewigems! they sooth my pica and act as stimming (autistic pica here!) 
Theyre cute, durable, and some of them just look like regular jewellery! I have a cat face one thats a staple of my style :) 

bmi 17.2
cw 45.4kg // 100.2lbs
hw 50kg // 110lbs
lw 35kg // 77lbs
gw1 45kg // 99lbs
gw2 40kg // 88lbs
gw3 35kg // 77lbs
ugw 30kg // 66lbs
height 162cm // 5'3

dying since 2016

im not hungry, im bored

0 user(s) are reading this topic