need help getting started (vegan) - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

need help getting started (vegan)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phoeebee

phoeebee

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

hi everyone! recently decided to finally make the leap into eating vegan fully, ive been eating a lot of vegan junk for a while but want to start cooking vegan. please leave me recipes/ideas/resources for meals that meet the following criteria:

-cheap (This isnt too important)

-healthy/wholefood ingredients mostly

-QUICK and SIMPLE (pls help me i cannot handle cooking loads of different stuff for like 40 mins)

-low cal (ish) gonna try change to higher restriction

thxx

• NotThisBody likes this

height: 156cm

SW: 155lbs

CW: 110.5lbs

LW: 110.5lbs

GW1: 100lbs

UGW: 95lbs

#2 NotThisBody

NotThisBody

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationState of Anxiety

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

I'm just going to list a bunch of stuff lol I've been vegan for 5+ yrs and vegetarian my whole life so cooking has been something I have always been into. 

Salads. Sounds cliche, but like.... I put everything into my salads. Quinoa, apples, dried cranberries, pecans.. You can even get crazy and add in vegan feta. 

Also stews or minestrone are nice and low-cal. I also make butternut squash soup and tomato soups. 

Tacos. I use steamed corn tortillas or these awesome jicama wraps that are crunchy and fresh to keep it low cal. You can fill them with spiced beans or faux meat products. Load them up with lettuce, fresh pica de gallo, etc. 

Baked potatoes or air fried potatoes are on the healthier side of carbs but I try to only have them once in a while. Depending on your preference, you can easily top them with extra proteins. 

Tofu everything, I bake mine without oil but baste them with bragg's liquid aminos (like soy sauce but less sodium) and liquid smoke and it's gooood. You can also make or buy bbq sauce and marinate them in that at intervals while baking them. Baking them makes the tofu completely non-watery and chewy.

Oatmeal can be made in so many ways, so you can pretty much go wild with fruits / cinnamon / nuts / seeds. 

My husband's favorite meal is bbq roasted veggies with a home-made bean burger (or there's lots of faux meat options on the market). 

Pretty much anything can be made vegan nowadays. :) If you want a recipe for anything feel free to ask me lol I probably have a saved one that's good for any meal type. I often cook for omnivores so I try to make things that everyone likes. 

Also great substitutes for eggs when baking are: bananas, flax seed mixed with hot water and soaked, aquafaba (chick pea liquid from a can). 

• featherweightgoals, Katie Katie, Phoenix3 and 5 others like this

#3 amberry92

amberry92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 June 2020 - 02:22 AM

I don’t cook a lot but when I do it’s usually something simple like veggie stir fry. Just choose your fav veggies and add soy sauce or hoi sin whatever you prefer ☺️
  • Phoenix3 likes this

#4 Phoenix3

Phoenix3

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:25 PM

I like to make a batch of brown rice or quinoa so I have some for the whole week and add whatever veggies and tofu or beyond sausages (I'm on a kick of them). Also I make tofu " scrambled eggs" with black salt. There are many recipes for it online. Lots of coconut water and overnight oats.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#5 girlLostintheForest

girlLostintheForest

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1294 posts
  • LocationTop of a tree

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:14 PM

These aren't necessarily all going to be low cal, but I love cooking and feeding others soo much and am p proud of some of my recipes:

The best vegan bolognese, or bolognese of any kind for that matter, that you will ever eat: https://www.food.com...olognese-285382

Tofu scrambles: most recipes are fairly similar, firm or extra firm tofu is generally best, and if you can get hold of black salt it genuinely makes it taste of egg (add it towards the end as too much heat basically kills it). Also if you add a bit of non-dairy milk to the scramble it'll make it creamier

Stuffed aubergines

Quinoa with chunks of veg (spring onions are my favourite in it) - would recommend cooking in a rice cooker if you have one

Vietnamese rice paper filled with just about anything (quinoa, veg, tofu etc.)

Tofu cream: discovered this just a few days ago. If you take a block of silken tofu and blend it with 200ml unsweetened soy milk it makes the most incredible cream. Only takes a few tablespoons for very few calories to completely transform a recipe, and doesn't live you feeling bloated and gross (which happened to me the one time I wasted far too many calories on alpro's single cream)

Baked tofu: Not that imaginative but in my opinion delicious and incredibly quick. Literally just cut up a block of medium-firm tofu into thin-ish slices and put in the oven (not too hot) without any oil or anything for about 20min

#6 mayamaxchica

mayamaxchica

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:06 PM

I love Korea food for this! Do you have access to Korean products? If so, you can make a million awesome things once you get some standard spices, etc

1. I make vegan broth with seaweed, dried mushrooms, and onions. It’s used to prepare a million different dishes, from miso soup to veggie stews. It’s the foundation for almost all my cooking.

2. Soondubu jjigae (soft tofu stew) or kimchi jjigae - onions, kimchi, and tofu are mixed up In a yummy stew! Pinterest has tons of recipes!

3. Doenjang jjigae- seasoned miso stew. Start with the broth I mentioned, add special miso paste (Korean style), zucchini, tofu, onion, mushrooms.

3. Kimchi fried rice

4. Banchan and plain rice- different veggies that are pickled, or fermented, or just simply cooked. Things from radish, to bean sprouts, served with rice

5. Bean sprouts soup and rice

I can share a million recipes if any of this sounds good. Once you buy like 6 basic spices/pastes, everything is just veggies, rice, and tofu, which is as cheap and healthy as it gets! Plus, Korean fermented foods (like kimchi) is full of probiotics! It’s great for your stomach and your skin!
  • tove lo likes this

#7 tove lo

tove lo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

I love Korea food for this! Do you have access to Korean products? If so, you can make a million awesome things once you get some standard spices, etc

1. I make vegan broth with seaweed, dried mushrooms, and onions. It’s used to prepare a million different dishes, from miso soup to veggie stews. It’s the foundation for almost all my cooking.

2. Soondubu jjigae (soft tofu stew) or kimchi jjigae - onions, kimchi, and tofu are mixed up In a yummy stew! Pinterest has tons of recipes!

3. Doenjang jjigae- seasoned miso stew. Start with the broth I mentioned, add special miso paste (Korean style), zucchini, tofu, onion, mushrooms.

3. Kimchi fried rice

4. Banchan and plain rice- different veggies that are pickled, or fermented, or just simply cooked. Things from radish, to bean sprouts, served with rice

5. Bean sprouts soup and rice

I can share a million recipes if any of this sounds good. Once you buy like 6 basic spices/pastes, everything is just veggies, rice, and tofu, which is as cheap and healthy as it gets! Plus, Korean fermented foods (like kimchi) is full of probiotics! It’s great for your stomach and your skin!

Dammnnnn this sounds amazing. I LOVE kimchi and never thought to try kimchi fried rice. Yum. This is literally inspiring me to start making more vegan choices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users