In Defense of Rowling: aka I'm Tired of the Fandom Guilloting Its Head - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

In Defense of Rowling: aka I'm Tired of the Fandom Guilloting Its Head

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2020 - 02:38 PM

To play devil's advocate [I actually do think Rowling needs to let the books stand alone, but...], for fun, because rebuttals are mind expanding:

Rowling is a product of her time. You cannot change her views. You and I may want to, but you, for yourself, need to accept her (Rowling) views are contrary to yours. This is philosophical; no right or wrong. I am assuming you still love the Harry Potter series. Or the anger would not exist, yes? The fandom is one option, so is ignoring the news about Rowling.

Acknowledge she wrote a great story. For the 1990s. It's 2020. A lot changes in 30 years. Most of us do not have the viewpoint of 1990. We were not old enough. Educating yourself on the LGBTQ movement of days past could help you tolerate her. Not like: tolerate. I read a book about lesbians and lesbian erotica in the 1950s. Great historical fiction—loved it!

I believe Rowling was born around the same time as my own mother, so we're referring to a 54 year old woman. I will use my mother's family as a good picture of what society in 1965 (USA, since my family is from there) was like. Or, rather, what the average—white—family expected.

My grandfather: the man whom raised our Rowling-figure could not accept people of different races. At all. I can hear his voice calling Japanese Americans horrible slurs. A compliment, from him, to an African American of the time was backwards and filled with the word any moral person would choose not to say. I tried to bring a political movement into my home about speaking out for the LGBTQ community and bullying, and, frankly, blew his mind.

The person, whom, likely raised Rowling couldn't even process homosexuality. TV (in the USA; I cannot speak for Britain) was considered liberal in the 1970s (when our Rowling experienced her formative years) simply because they showed a female accepting her female friend's ‘partner’ (All in the Family). Another liberal moment on that particular show was the presence of a man of color living in a prominent neighborhood.

To be fair, my maternal grandfather was a conservative good man (for his time). I will diverge for a paragraph to introduce the concept of what was considered a progressive man for our Rowling-figure, in my paternal (step) grandfather [mock my rebuttal, not my still living grandfather, ok].My grandfather came into my paternal grandmother's life when she was a newly divorced woman with five children, and he stepped up to raise them. That, is what our Rowling-figure considers progressive. Our Rowling-figure occasionally still blurts out horrible racist 'jokes' [I do not agree with the ‘humor’].

Getting back to the heart of our rebuttal, I will state I am 31; I imagine the majority of complaints about Rowling are from the generation younger than me. I want you to ask yourself, how old are your grandparents? Mine are in their 80s [and I'm so grateful I can still speak to them]. 60? Maybe 70? Rowling is 54. I implore you to think about her tweets as if your grandparents had free reign on the magical interwebz. I cannot imagine our Rowling-figure on the internet. Frankly her computer is a dust collector, but she does pay her own bills online. She logged into facebook, maybe three times.

What are you, if you're still reading, going to be like after decades of major upheaval and change? Don't you still go back to the nostalgia of music you listened to when you were young? Don't you repeat things your parents say because you respect them and love them? Aren't you a product of your own environment (to a degree)?

So, I end my rebuttal with two main options: if you cannot empathize with and accept Rowling as a once progressive individual of her generation—ignore her—block her bloody Twitter, and love the magic of Harry Potter for what it is.
  • redtree and RoseDeWittBukater like this

"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain." ~ Karl Marx

#2 LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:01 PM

As a nonbinary person in my 40s, I can see both sides of this. Rowling grew up with second-wave feminism (the era of Germaine Greer, Women's Lib, etc.) and many of the greats of that movement were and are, sadly, huge transphobes. However, there are plenty of cis women and men her age and older who support trans people and respond gracefully to being called out. Examples:

Mark Hamill (60+) apologises and says 'ignorance is no excuse' after failing to spot that JK's tweet was transphobic

Julie Andrews (80+) includes a nonbinary puppet in her TV show

So while I think it is important for younger people to understand that Rowling didn't just decide to be a TERF in a vacuum, and that it's harder for someone of her generation to understand and support trans rights, it's not impossible, and we shouldn't write off older people as people who can't help being prejudiced.

If temptation storms, or you fall upon the rocks of tribulation, look to the star: Call upon Mary!

If you are tossed by the waves of pride or ambition, detraction or envy, look to the star, call upon Mary.
If anger or avarice or the desires of the flesh dash against the ship of your soul, turn your eyes to Mary.
If troubled by the enormity of your crimes, ashamed of your guilty conscience, terrified by dread of the judgment,
you begin to sink into the gulf of sadness or the abyss of despair, think of Mary.
In dangers, in anguish, in doubt, think of Mary, call upon Mary. - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

They/them • 42 • Vegan • Doing the 'bodyfat percentage instead of weight' thing

22.5% 22% 21.5% 21% 20.5% 20% 19.5% 19% 18.5% 18% 17.5% 17% 16.5% 16%

gallery_1227469_64903_161325.jpgI want a body like this... and I have exec dysfunction. Wish me luck!!

NEW Accountability

#3 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1401 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:31 PM

I'm just glad someone read this. It was a writing practice for empathy that started as a ceasefire to the overly angry social justice posters on facebook. Personally, my mother/Rowling figure can learn growth, but right now she's focused on her daughter's mental health (me). I also honestly think Rowling needs to get the hell off the internet. She's ruining the fandom, which is a shame. I also think 'we' collectively need to focus on bigger issues. Like saving the planet. But, we all like escapism, right? 

Please don't take my response here personally. I am truly just giddy that you took the time to read it. Have you read the manga Hourou Musuko (Wandering Son) by chance? It's about an m2f and f2m trans kids in Japan. The ending is too open and vague, but I love the read.

#4 LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1064 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

I'm just glad someone read this. It was a writing practice for empathy that started as a ceasefire to the overly angry social justice posters on facebook. Personally, my mother/Rowling figure can learn growth, but right now she's focused on her daughter's mental health (me). I also honestly think Rowling needs to get the hell off the internet. She's ruining the fandom, which is a shame. I also think 'we' collectively need to focus on bigger issues. Like saving the planet. But, we all like escapism, right? 

Please don't take my response here personally. I am truly just giddy that you took the time to read it. Have you read the manga Hourou Musuko (Wandering Son) by chance? It's about an m2f and f2m trans kids in Japan. The ending is too open and vague, but I love the read.

Thank you!! Not taking it personally at all, don't worry :) I haven't read Hourou Musuko, but have heard of it and been vaguely interested in reading it for ages. Thanks for the recommendations!

If temptation storms, or you fall upon the rocks of tribulation, look to the star: Call upon Mary!

If you are tossed by the waves of pride or ambition, detraction or envy, look to the star, call upon Mary.
If anger or avarice or the desires of the flesh dash against the ship of your soul, turn your eyes to Mary.
If troubled by the enormity of your crimes, ashamed of your guilty conscience, terrified by dread of the judgment,
you begin to sink into the gulf of sadness or the abyss of despair, think of Mary.
In dangers, in anguish, in doubt, think of Mary, call upon Mary. - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

They/them • 42 • Vegan • Doing the 'bodyfat percentage instead of weight' thing

22.5% 22% 21.5% 21% 20.5% 20% 19.5% 19% 18.5% 18% 17.5% 17% 16.5% 16%

gallery_1227469_64903_161325.jpgI want a body like this... and I have exec dysfunction. Wish me luck!!

NEW Accountability

#5 bexajourney

bexajourney

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 June 2020 - 04:41 PM

I just noticed this thread!

While I appreciate your well-written perspective, I strongly believe that calling someone a product of their time is merely giving someone an excuse to be close-minded. I am almost 40, I'm non-binary and my husband is almost 50 and his feelings for me didn't change when I started that self-discovery. His mother, who is obviously older, successfully raised one lesbian daughter and supported her coming out, and is a loud and vocal proponent of LGTBQ+ rights. And she's from the deeeep South, surrounded by a lot of potential hatred.

Let's use a different example. Say there's a person who is accused of sexual harassment in the workplace. Their behavior is not okay, even if it was "light" enough that back in the day, it would have been considered normal behavior.

As an adult, functioning in society, I'd like to think it behooves me to educate myself to be a better person and learn about challenges other people face who are not in my situation and may not have some of my advantages. JK Rowling is not so old she has Alzheimer's, as far as I know, and is trapped in a time long ago only her mind. She is closing herself off to new ideas and acceptance, listening to hateful people who support her views, and ignoring people who are entreating her to change her mind. Times change and we should learn to accept that not everything we were raised with is right, or even acceptable behavior. Being a product of one's time is a line used to justify unjustifiable behavior.

I wish we could all just never use it as an excuse again, and educate ignorance--that failing, hold people responsible for hatred.

I hope this is a suitable response!
  • shiju333 likes this

HW: 297 lbs

W: 284

CW: 272.4
GW: 120 lbs

It's a process, but whether you're trying to gain, lose or maintain--be kind to yourself and others.

#6 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1401 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:30 PM

I just noticed this thread!

While I appreciate your well-written perspective, I strongly believe that calling someone a product of their time is merely giving someone an excuse to be close-minded. I am almost 40, I'm non-binary and my husband is almost 50 and his feelings for me didn't change when I started that self-discovery. His mother, who is obviously older, successfully raised one lesbian daughter and supported her coming out, and is a loud and vocal proponent of LGTBQ+ rights. And she's from the deeeep South, surrounded by a lot of potential hatred.

Let's use a different example. Say there's a person who is accused of sexual harassment in the workplace. Their behavior is not okay, even if it was "light" enough that back in the day, it would have been considered normal behavior.

As an adult, functioning in society, I'd like to think it behooves me to educate myself to be a better person and learn about challenges other people face who are not in my situation and may not have some of my advantages. JK Rowling is not so old she has Alzheimer's, as far as I know, and is trapped in a time long ago only her mind. She is closing herself off to new ideas and acceptance, listening to hateful people who support her views, and ignoring people who are entreating her to change her mind. Times change and we should learn to accept that not everything we were raised with is right, or even acceptable behavior. Being a product of one's time is a line used to justify unjustifiable behavior.

I wish we could all just never use it as an excuse again, and educate ignorance--that failing, hold people responsible for hatred.

I hope this is a suitable response!

I honestly wrote the defense as a writing practice to try and understand people like JK Rowling and Roseanne Barr, and why they act the way they do on the internet, myself. Frankly my opinion is on the side of people like you. My Rowling-figure (Mom) and I get into fights over politics all the time that devolve to "Educate yourself, you're not dumb!". Rowling-figure just learned youtube via her TV. 'tis mind-blown.

#7 bexajourney

bexajourney

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:39 PM

That's fair. It is very well-written! But yes, I feel strongly enough about the subject that I felt a response (hopefully one that came off polite and civil, if impassioned) was appropriate. :) Thank you for civil discourse!

HW: 297 lbs

W: 284

CW: 272.4
GW: 120 lbs

It's a process, but whether you're trying to gain, lose or maintain--be kind to yourself and others.

#8 Explosion-san

Explosion-san

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:54 PM

One generations progressives are the next generations conservatives.

I also highly doubt anyone has been convinced that their views are in err by calling them malicious, ignorant or hateful.

• kitkat27 likes this

AmazingFabulousBackswimmer-size_restrict

Explosion!

Male

Height: 6'1.5"

HW: 275lbs

CW: 198lbs

LW: 185lbs

Currently doing a cut

UGW: No idea? Flash a V8 is the goal, being 180lbs would probably help.

#9 redtree

redtree

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1065 posts
  • Locationin your hEEEeeaaad ZOMBIE ZOM BEH EH EH

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:11 PM

I appreciate your way of thinking. Well said

gallery_4356_2145_32545.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users