How much does your SO/Partner know about your ED? - Page 2 - Age 20+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How much does your SO/Partner know about your ED?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 HeartGabi

HeartGabi

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:14 AM

My boyfriend knows most of it, like stuff here and there and how it makes me feel. But he doesn't understand it a bit and feels like he doesn't want to understand it.
Idk he just takes on it lightly, not worried at all about me even if I am saying that I haven't eaten all day.. Kind of bums me out but I guess I should be happy about it

Some of my friends know, some care more than others. But most of the time I just tell people and then that's it, it never comes up again kind of, only if I bring it up. Except for my stepsister she knows a little and when I recently complained about not even feeling hunger anymore she kept checking in on me everyday to see if I had eaten. Honestly, that was one of the nicest feeling ever for me. I know it sounds weird but for someone to actually take it serious and care that is huge in my world

Hugs and Kisses
Gabi <3

Goals!

Spoiler

Inspiration
Spoiler

#22 thiinmint

thiinmint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:40 PM

My boyfriend and I live together and he knows that I have an eating disorder but I don't think he truly understands. He almost feels as if when I don't eat I'm looking for someone to I guess "beg" me to eat, but it simply doesn't work like that. It's not as if him caring about me  is going to loosen the grip my eating disorder has on me, and he kinda takes it personally. I find it really annoying when people are up in my business about how much or what I'm eating and don't find it endearing whatsoever, even if it is coming from a place of care. I think that it's almost impossible to wrap your head around if you haven't experienced it yourself, and despite how close I feel to him, it's not a part of myself I let anyone fully see.  Maybe that's the one of the worst parts about having an eating disorder, at least for me anyways. I feel obligated to keep all of my twisted habits to myself and always have. 

#23 Kumper

Kumper

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:27 AM

My bf knows about my relationship with food. I absolutely never tell him when I start restricting. He has a stomach issue that causes him a lot of pain, which makes his appetite nearly non-existent so he barely eats all day and very little if he does. This makes me super self-conscious when I eat around him and I've told him. He's actually been really good about it and worries that he might trigger me but I told him it's a "me" issue. He has his own insecurity with being super skinny from his health problems so we're both out here being insecure about our bodies  -_-

#24 Banana__Milk

Banana__Milk

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:01 AM

My husband doesn’t know and probably never will

#25 aria~

aria~

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

my boyfriend of 1 year knows i've had a bit of a past with it, but i've downplayed it so he doesn't really know the full scope of it. he is aware that i've been in the ICU before for malnutrition, dehydration, and psychosis partially brought on by alcoholism and disordered eating (but mostly triggered by the drinking + my last breakup). he also saw that i signed up for weightwatchers the other day (a choice i'm now regretting because i dont think it's going to help lol) but he knows that for the past few months i've been really upset about my figure so it just seems to him like i'm making normal, healthy steps towards gradually losing weight.

he doesn't know that i have a juul that i use for the nicotine to keep my appetite suppressed, that the tea i'm drinking in the morning now is a teatox, or that i'm heavily back into thinspo/pro ana groups

Illustration3.jpg

tumblr_af49d1396b9676b474235db7e5805b32_

aria - 24 - 5'3

SW: 120 | CW: 115.8 | GW: 95

tumblr_lvw30lDzVy1r7y61oo1_100.gif

#26 corvidae-corpse

corvidae-corpse

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:18 PM

my SO doesn't know, afaik. they are far skinnier than i am and have their own eating problems- but it feels so unfair bc they forget to eat or don't eat due to sensory issues, meanwhile it's a constant struggle for me to control my inner pig. I take care of the food for them, making them food (we live together) and they've gained more weight since i started taking care of them... i haven't lost enough for them to say anything even though i've lost 58 pounds since we moved in together T-T 

they're sex-repulsed demi and i wear baggy clothes tho so that probably contributes.

#27 Kittymama

Kittymama

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationOn my knees praying to the porcelain goddess

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:06 PM

My husband is clueless. I even got in a big fight after fasting and I was feeling awful and yelled at him I can't do this I'm hungry and tired. He said just eat.. and I said no then I'll just throw it up anyways.
He's never mentioned that. I don't think he really listened honestly. Or maybe he didn't understand what I meant idk.
Works for me. When they know they want you to change. I am not ok w that.

#28 BlackCoffeeOrToffee

BlackCoffeeOrToffee

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:08 AM

i recently told my bf of 9 months. I feel like he may have already suspected but he took it very well and told me not to blame myself for anything. He definitely doesn't understand how bad it is though. Part of my reason for wanting to lose weight fast is so he can see how good I am at this shit lol. When we're together he'll encourage me to eat though and will get concerned if he knows I haven't eaten anything all day. 

He also recently told me I should check out intermittent fasting. Which was triggering. 

“It was in their friendship they just wanted to run forever, shadow and shadow.” 
― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

#29 secretserpent

secretserpent

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:31 AM

I'm in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend, so although he knows that I've struggled with disordered eating in "the past", this rarely comes up.
My recovery had been going great for all of our relationship, but now I just know I'm seriously relapsing again...

Knowing him, if he finds out about this he'd be trying his best to help me and support me, but I plan on keeping it all hidden away for as long as I can. I can't lie for shit, though, and he's always been good at figuring me out so we'll see how that goes...

“I suppose it is out of laziness that the world is the same day after day.

Today it seemed to want to change. And then anything, anything could happen." 

- Jean-Paul Sartre

original.gif

#30 Daxia

Daxia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:59 AM

He knows absolutely nothing. I once considered saying something, because I trust him so much, but one day we had a conversation and he mentioned anorexics and how he doesn't understand those people and they should "just eat". He also tends to make fun of obese people (which I don't condone and do get mad at him for). So yeah, any conversation about my ED is off the table I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users