Laxatives causing miscarriage? - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Laxatives causing miscarriage?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Espressily

Espressily

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:03 PM

I suspect I might be responsible for my miscarriage

I took 3x Soflax tablets on Sunday evening. Spent several hours on the loo Monday morning and had light stomach cramping the rest of the day. Last night the cramps started to get worse - but they started to feel like period pains... I'm pregnant, so it can't be period pains. That's when I got really worried! Didn't sleep much at all.

Then this morning when I went to the bathroom... Masses and masses of blood came out... Felt like I could die from pain! That's when I knew I had lost my baby I know he was only a few weeks old, but still. It hurts terribly! I feel so sad and empty... Why did this happen??
Could the laxatives have caused my miscarriage??? Why is there no warning labels on the product?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
  • YoungCatLady likes this

#2 impmon

impmon

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5783 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:11 PM

no, but the dehydration and undernourishment from consistent lax abuse could of made your body incapable of carrying the pregnancy to term. so not directly the lax, more so prolonged self abuse that could of involved abusing laxatives.

• Espressily likes this

@impmontellem

5'3/73 lbs/can't read

b4f5f38fd4c7e84fa0e9f79c1a047102b06b44f8

bwoop

please

#3 Skinny_joy

Skinny_joy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:15 PM

Omg I'm so sorry for your lost that must be heartbreaking. I have no idea if it's the laxatives or not really but make sure you go to the doctor to check on you and have some rest sending love ♥️
  • Espressily likes this

#4 activecheesecake

activecheesecake

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts
  • Locationwonderland

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:23 PM

): No i feel so bad. I've never abused laxatives so idk but i'm so sorry for your loss. Even though I don't want to have kids, I felt like crying when reading your post. i hope you'll be ok soon

• Espressily and Honey Noodle like this

BODY CHECKS

CW: 105 (BMI 16.7)

Last weigh in: 2020/08/06

150   130   110  100

GW: 88

#5 securitypale

securitypale

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:26 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. Generally, most laxatives don't cause a misscarriage however there is a few that actually can cause a misscarriage.. you're gonna have to see which laxatives you used to find out. But it's highy unlikely they caused a misscarriage.

• Espressily likes this

giphy.gif

#6 OfficialMelaniaTrump

OfficialMelaniaTrump

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10181 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:42 PM

I suspect I might be responsible for my miscarriage

I took 3x Soflax tablets on Sunday evening. Spent several hours on the loo Monday morning and had light stomach cramping the rest of the day. Last night the cramps started to get worse - but they started to feel like period pains... I'm pregnant, so it can't be period pains. That's when I got really worried! Didn't sleep much at all.

Then this morning when I went to the bathroom... Masses and masses of blood came out... Felt like I could die from pain! That's when I knew I had lost my baby I know he was only a few weeks old, but still. It hurts terribly! I feel so sad and empty... Why did this happen??
Could the laxatives have caused my miscarriage??? Why is there no warning labels on the product?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I want to offer you SOME comfort here - I had a miscarriage back in 2017 due to a yeast infection. I have had 3 successful pregnancies. And there are some things I know that you probably need to hear.

The first is this - You are likely NOT responsible at all for your miscarriage. It is tempting to think that you have a lot of control over what happens in your uterus, but in a lot of cases you just don't. So before you blame yourself for sure, please consider the following...

First of all, PLENTY of pregnant women miscarry and do not even KNOW IT in the first few weeks because there are so many issues that involve how the baby attaches to the uterus. Your body in some cases will test positive for the pregnancy even as your fetus at that point is not viable. Just bear that in mind. Often times, a pregnant woman miscarries because that connection to the tissue is not right. Often due to problems genetically with the fetus itself. If you were truly at 4 weeks gestation, you would have been JUST at implantation and therefore it is VERY likely your fetus was simply not viable. This in itself is sad, but could mean that by biology itself, your baby was spared a very painful and difficult life, and that itself is important to remember. Again, at 4 weeks gestation, I highly doubt the miscarriage was your fault. I miscarried at 4 weeks myself.

Secondly, a LOT of women NEED laxatives during pregnancy because of how their bowels slow down. I do not know if you have been pregnant before, but the hormones that keep that baby alive greatly slow down your bowels. This is partially what can lead to morning sickness in women early on in pregnancy. YES - Some laxatives are dangerous. But it is usually PROLONGED USE that would lead to miscarriage DURING pregnancy, not just one heavy dose early on. I was on several laxatives prescribed of course during pregnancies, and before my C-sections I would have to clear my bowels and the dose and type I took is typically NOT recommended for pregnancy, but in the case of one time use before c-section it was obviously fine and I had it PRESCRIBED by my OBGYN. Again, I would not blame the laxatives either, although I always tell people not to abuse them because that is dangerous to your system in general, yet I digress on that for now.

Third, If you had caused enough LONG TERM DAMAGE to your body that you could not carry the baby you would not have gotten pregnant in the first pace. So PLEASE ignore the thought that you caused this by any abuse you had done to your body so far by your ED. That is just not how it works. If you GOT PREGNANT, your body was able to do it. It was not like you hurt this baby by what you did over the last few years. Those types of problems do not show themselves until MUCH later in pregnancy and usually are more related to hormonal imbalances, blood sugar issues, or overall weakness. But NOT this early on in terms of miscarriage.

Look I am NOT A DOCTOR. But I know a LOT about having and ED and pregnancies. Please be easy on yourself. I strongly doubt you did this. I mean that. And I am a stone cold bitch and people know that, I do not beat around a bush ever. 

(IF THERE WERE NO WARNING LABELS IT WAS CERTAINLY NOT THE LAXATIVES.)

• Cannabalistic.horror, Espressily, YoungCatLady and 3 others like this

#7 9cals

9cals

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

Oh my god, I’m so sorry. If you ever need someone to vent to then just know that I’m here for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users